Natl History Bowl College Nationals: Sun 3/30 Northwestern U

Old college threads.
Great Bustard
Auron

Natl History Bowl College Nationals: Sun 3/30 Northwestern U

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB is pleased to announce that its 2014 College National Championships will indeed take place on Sunday, March 30 at Northwestern University in Fisk Hall and McCormick Tribune Center. Matt Weiner has assured me that the level of set completion is at a point where he is certain that this will be ready and edited for play by 3/30. I will leave it to Matt to comment further on the set, including distribution, difficulty, and other such matters. Separate Overall and Undergraduate titles will be awarded, but I think running the two divisions combined makes the most sense, with the undergrad title going either to the team that advances the farthest and running finals for the top teams. The exact way this gets structured will probably be a function of how many undergrad teams sign up, but if you have strong feelings on the matter, feel free to comment below.

Regarding costs, this tournament will cost $240 per team, and $120 to play solo. There is no discount for teams of two. Edit: There is a $75 discount for teams who were signed up last year. There will be a staffer discount of $50, which is contingent on our approval of the staffer being a quality reader, and on an as-needed basis - first come, first-served. I don't want to end up with 20 moderators for 20 teams, but of course, we don't want to be shorthanded on staff. I'll add a buzzer discount of $10 as well. If people would just prefer to be paid $50 to read instead, I'm also open to that, but want to give teams who are registering to play this the option to opt in for the staffer discount first.

As for format, 15 packets are being written, and we're looking to do a 12 game format, with advantaged finals, or something comparable and sensible. We would like to start Round 1 by 8:30 and aim to finish no later than 5:00. If you are looking to attend this, please do not book a flight out of O'Hare before 7:00 if you think you have a chance of making the final, and 6-6:30 if you think you won't be in the final. There are plenty of flights at that hour that will still allow you to get back that night. If you're flying out of Midway, plan accordingly.

Because of last year, people who would have been eligible to play in 2013 are eligible to play for the same teams in 2014. If your eligibility has switched, then for this event only, you can pick which school you would like to represent. However, while overall eligibility is retroactive, the Undergrad title is not, and is still subject to the ACF rule for the current year.

We will once again arrange a van for transportation. That worked well in 2012. If you are interested, please indicate so as soon as possible when you register. To cover the van costs, I will ask for $10 per person. That will cover rental costs and gas for up to 12 people. We're not looking to make money off the van, but rather have an option that's a bit cheaper than a cab. I will need at least 8 people to sign up for the van in order for it to be worth booking.

To register, please email me at [email protected] or send me a pm - either is fine. If you will be bringing a buzzer, a staffer, or will be playing solo, or want in for the van, please indicate so when you sign up. We will take registrations up until a week prior to the event, but please sign up as soon as you know you will be coming.

Div. 1 Field Update - As of March 28 - FINAL
1. Alabama
2. Alberta
3. Arizona State
4. Chicago A
5. Cornell
6. Marquette
7. Maryland
8. Michigan A
9. Minnesota
10. Penn
11. Virginia
12. Western Kentucky
13. WUSTL

Undergrad Field Update - As of March 28 - FINAL
1. Berkeley
2. Chicago B
3. Dartmouth
4. Harvard
5. Michigan B
6. Northwestern
7. Ohio State
8. UCF
9. UIC

What each team should owe - up to date as of 16:10 EDT, 3/28
Alabama - $190 ($240 minus $75 discount from last year plus $25 late fee)
Alberta - $230 ($240 minus $10 for buzzers)
Arizona State - $45 ($120 for solo team with $75 discount from last year)
Berkeley - $195 ($240 minus $75 discount from last year, minus $10 for buzzers, plus $40 for van)
Chicago (2 teams) - $310 ($480 minus $150 discount from last year, minus $20 for buzzers)
Cornell - $270 ($240 plus $30 for van)
Dartmouth - $280 ($240 plus $40 for van)
Harvard - $165 ($240 minus $75 for last year, minus $30 for buzzers, plus $30 for van)
Marquette - $20 ($120 for a solo team minus $100 for two staffers)
Maryland - $180 ($240 minus $50 for a staffer and $10 for a buzzer)
Michigan (2 teams) - $375 ($480 minus $75 for last year, minus $30 for buzzers)
Minnesota - $45 ($240 minus $75 for last year, minus $100 for staffers, minus $20 for buzzers)
Northwestern - $0 (host)
Ohio State - $230 ($240 minus $10 for buzzers)
Penn - $205 ($240 minus $75 for last year plus $40 for van)
UCF - $120 (solo team, no other reductions)
UIC - $45 (solo team, minus $75 for last year)
Virginia - $115 ($240 minus $75 for last year, minus $50 for a staffer)
Western Kentucky - $145 ($240 minus $100 for staffers and minus $20 for buzzers plus $25 late fee)
WUSTL - $95 ($240 minus $75 for last year, $20 for buzzers, $50 for a staffer)

Van Pool List
Penn x 4 - going with Charles Hang and Dylan Minarik
Berkeley x 4 - going with Mike Bentley on the later car (be at Hyatt Regency front entrance at 7:40)
Cornell x 3 - going with Bunnie Hadsall on the later van (be at Hyatt Regency front entrance at 7:40)
Dartmouth x 4 - going with Bunnie Hadsall on the early van (be at Hyatt Regency front entrance at 6:35)
Harvard x 3 - going with Bunnie Hadsall on the later van (be at Hyatt Regency front entrance at 7:40)
Bunnie Hadsall - staff (driver)
Matt Weiner - staff - going with Mike Bentley on the early car (be at Hyatt Regency front entrance at 6:35)
Cody Voight - staff - going with Mike Bentley on the early car (be at Hyatt Regency front entrance at 6:35)
George Berry - staff - going with Mike Bentley on the early car (be at Hyatt Regency front entrance at 6:35)
Mike Bentley - staff (driver)
2 more spots in the early van are meant for any other staffers who may need a ride

Staffer List - only readers are listed; there may be a few additional scorekeepers
Maryland (Chris Manners)
Virginia (Josh Duncan)
Western Kentucky (Austin Smith and Cole Phelps)
Marquette 2 (Rob Carson and Bernadette Spencer)
Minnesota 2 (Carsten Gehring and Melanie Keating)
WUSTL (Ben Zhang)
Matt Weiner
Mike Bentley
Bunnie Hadsall
Bryan Berend
Stephen Eltinge
Cody Voight
Sam Bailey
George Berry

Buzzer List
Maryland
Western Kentucky x 2
Ohio State
Berkeley
Michigan x 3
Alberta
WUSTL x 2
Chicago x 2
Minnesota x 2
Harvard x 3

2013 Field - i.e. eligible for cost reduction
Alabama
Arizona State
Berkeley
Case Western
Chicago A
Chicago B
Harvard
Illinois
UIC
Michigan
Minnesota
Northwestern
Penn
UVA
VCU
WUSTL
Last edited by Great Bustard on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 60 times in total.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Re: Natl. History Bowl College Nationals: Sun. 3/30, Chicago

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

There is also no discount for having signed up last year; Matt had asked teams who were financially affected last year to contact him, and no one did, so at this point, we're starting from a clean slate for all.
This is basically unacceptable given the costs incurred by every team that stayed an extra night last year expecting to play a tournament the next day.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

I agree with Matt. If we hadn't booked the hotel room before being informed that the competition wouldn't happen, Berkeley would've just flown home that night. There's no "clean slate" about this.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:Because of last year, people who would have been eligible to play in 2013 are eligible to play for the same teams in 2014. If your eligibility has switched, then for this event only, you can pick which school you would like to represent. However, while overall eligibility is retroactive, the Undergrad title is not, and is still subject to the ACF rule for the current year.
I recall there being a discussion on this issue, but do not recall the debate ever being resolved so I would like to know why NHBB has made this decision. I feel very strongly against allowing 2013-eligible players to play for their former teams because that completely invalidates the idea of this being a 2014 national tournament. And obviously, since new players have joined each team there's absolutely no question that this year's event cannot emulate a 2013 nationals (nor should it). So effectively, you are ruining the idea of "nationals" for your event for the sake of a utilitarian calculus that values "people having fun by playing some questions because they didn't get to last year" over "this is a nationals event and should be treated as such." The screw-up from last year should not be compensated for by compromising this year's event. If you want to stand by your chosen policy, I'd suggest removing the word "nationals" from the tournament because I for one would have a hard time congratulating some sort of super-team formed from 2013 and 2014 members for winning "NHBB College Nationals 2014."
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hi: Both of these apparently controversial policies were at my suggestion. I have made a follow-up recommendation to institute a discount for teams who were registered for last year, as there appear to be several who booked an extra night in the hotel that I wasn't made aware of until now. I also think that the eligibility policy is the best we can do in a bad situation, and is not going to lead to "superteams" since it still requires people to be enrolled at the college they are playing for in one of the two years. If you would prefer to refer to this as the "2013-2014" tournament, that's fine; another option is to leave open the possibility of awarding a trophy for "2014 national champion" to the highest-finishing team containing only 2014-eligible players, should a team with a 2013 player win the event.

The distribution and difficulty of this tournament have not changed from the 2012 packets, which are available on the archive. As indicated above, one thing I am trying to change is the conservative scheduling that we made a conscious decision to use in 2012 -- it was unclear then if we could attract interest from people who had already booked Sunday afternoon flights to a tournament that lasted more than 10 rounds. This year, I plan to use a schedule that lets every team play as much of the 15-packet set as the final field size mathematically allows.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

1. I think teams of two should have discounts, at least a happy medium between $120 and $240, keeping in mind that at least if I play this, the fee will be out of pocket.

2. I think teams affected by last year should have discounts. If I were a bold man, I'd say that the entire field should play for a very limited amount.

3. I think the eligibility rule is okay. I'm not taking this that seriously; if you wanted to not be eligible to win if you fielded a 2013 team, I'm cool with that.

I like the idea of this tournament and I'm glad it's happening. I would like to see some pricing and discounts that reflect the utter travesty that last year's was.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Regardless of whether we qualify for ICT or not, we plan on bringing a team to play this (assuming our funding request gets approved).
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

To add a bit of reality to this thread, I'll note that on 1/18 the set was 44% complete. It's now around 60% complete (although that number is probably too high because many questions still need editing/rewriting). Matt has written something like 15 tossups since then. I've continued to write questions and plan to continue contributing at a rate of maybe 10 questions a week.

So while it's within the realm of possibilities that this tournament will be finished, I haven't yet seen the acceleration in writing from Matt that gives me a ton of confidence that it will definitely be completed.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

To put it another way, I see it within the realm of possibility that I can write maybe another 70 questions for this tournament. That leaves 200 questions for Matt to write (plus any editing that he plans on doing). Take this into consideration when booking plane tickets and such.
Mike Bentley
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Matt Weiner wrote:I also think that the eligibility policy is the best we can do in a bad situation, and is not going to lead to "superteams" since it still requires people to be enrolled at the college they are playing for in one of the two years. If you would prefer to refer to this as the "2013-2014" tournament, that's fine; another option is to leave open the possibility of awarding a trophy for "2014 national champion" to the highest-finishing team containing only 2014-eligible players, should a team with a 2013 player win the event.
Maybe I'm using the term "superteam" incorrectly, but I consider a Chicago team featuring both Sam Bailey and Max Schindler, or an Illinois team featuring both Ike Jose and Tristan Wiley, a superteam because these teams have never existed as legitimate combinations in standard collegiate competition. Regardless of what "superteam" actually means, the fact that these teams are not real collegiate teams places this tournament somewhere between a normal nationals and an open tournament. I've addressed the second sentence quoted above in the paragraph below.
Cheynem wrote:3. I think the eligibility rule is okay. I'm not taking this that seriously; if you wanted to not be eligible to win if you fielded a 2013 team, I'm cool with that.
I hope that I'm not the only one who wants this tournament to be something that should be taken seriously. If it becomes an annual championship tournament, which I would love to see, rather than the second of just a few iterations of a "fun history side event to ICT," then to me it's clear that this tournament should just be treated as the 2014 event and not the make-up-for-2013 event. A nationals tournament seeking legitimacy ought to just let the 2013 screwup go and move forward rather than affecting future events at 2013's expense. I suspect that eligibility rules like this would never be acceptable for ICT or ACF Nationals, and if History Nationals is a "nationals" that we should take as seriously as those tournaments, then they shouldn't be acceptable here either.

Even if 2013 teams are not eligible to win, that still messes up the tournament by either 1) counting games against what are effectively exhibition teams or 2) reducing the number of games that are counted toward the final standings.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If this tournament had some rich history of crowning a national champion, I'd agree, but it doesn't, and right now, I'm more concerned about being able to enjoy a tournament with one of my longtime teammates that we got screwed out of last year with no opportunity for recompense. As a person with a very limited schedule, I chose to play ICT last year instead of ACF Nationals because of College History Bowl, anticipating a great weekend, and was very disappointed to find out it would not take place. To me, I do regard this as a fun ICT event that I am interested in playing if possible. I am okay being placed in some other division or being ineligible to win the tournament (I realize this is threatening because of my MAD SKILLZ).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

gyre and gimble
Yuna

Cheynem wrote:If this tournament had some rich history of crowning a national champion, I'd agree, but it doesn't, and right now, I'm more concerned about being able to enjoy a tournament with one of my longtime teammates that we got screwed out of last year with no opportunity for recompense. As a person with a very limited schedule, I chose to play ICT last year instead of ACF Nationals because of College History Bowl, anticipating a great weekend, and was very disappointed to find out it would not take place. To me, I do regard this as a fun ICT event that I am interested in playing if possible. I am okay being placed in some other division or being ineligible to win the tournament (I realize this is threatening because of my MAD SKILLZ).
Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing that you hold this point-of-view. Quite the opposite; I think that you should naturally be on that side of the debate for exactly the reasons you've articulated. It's just that I made the (possibly incorrect) assumption that the writers and organizers of this tournament want it to be taken more seriously than you do, given that the tournament is being advertised as a "nationals," which to me automatically signifies a significant degree of seriousness.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Just as an update, this tournament will be held at Northwestern University in Fisk Hall and McCormick Tribune Center. We have 7 rooms in each building - they are right next to each other. I highly doubt we'll get over 28 teams, but I'll set that as a field cap for now. I will respond to the points others are making after having touched base with Matt.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

gyre and gimble wrote:Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing that you hold this point-of-view. Quite the opposite; I think that you should naturally be on that side of the debate for exactly the reasons you've articulated. It's just that I made the (possibly incorrect) assumption that the writers and organizers of this tournament want it to be taken more seriously than you do, given that the tournament is being advertised as a "nationals," which to me automatically signifies a significant degree of seriousness.
It remains my view that there is nothing that says "collegiate eligibility for nationals" has to be limited to the seven-month window before the event takes place; we do that in ICT and ACF Nats for reasons that make sense for those tournaments. For this tournament, there is a very obvious reason that it makes sense to use a two-year standard instead. This was discussed with affected teams last year when the cancellation of the 2013 tournament, which was my fault, was announced, and this seems to be the option that most people supported. There is, unfortunately, no perfect solution once things like that happen. I will propose renaming this the "2013-2014" tournament and keeping the eligibility policy that was announced, and also propose that I not cause any further situations of the 2013 kind so that regular eligibility rules resume in 2015 and beyond.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Mike Bentley wrote:To add a bit of reality to this thread, I'll note that on 1/18 the set was 44% complete. It's now around 60% complete (although that number is probably too high because many questions still need editing/rewriting). Matt has written something like 15 tossups since then. I've continued to write questions and plan to continue contributing at a rate of maybe 10 questions a week.

So while it's within the realm of possibilities that this tournament will be finished, I haven't yet seen the acceleration in writing from Matt that gives me a ton of confidence that it will definitely be completed.
Mike Bentley wrote:To put it another way, I see it within the realm of possibility that I can write maybe another 70 questions for this tournament. That leaves 200 questions for Matt to write (plus any editing that he plans on doing). Take this into consideration when booking plane tickets and such.
Looks like I'm saving my eligibility for 2013-2014-2015 History Bowl Nationals!
Kay, Chicago.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Eccles cake wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:To add a bit of reality to this thread, I'll note that on 1/18 the set was 44% complete. It's now around 60% complete (although that number is probably too high because many questions still need editing/rewriting). Matt has written something like 15 tossups since then. I've continued to write questions and plan to continue contributing at a rate of maybe 10 questions a week.

Mike Bentley wrote:To put it another way, I see it within the realm of possibility that I can write maybe another 70 questions for this tournament. That leaves 200 questions for Matt to write (plus any editing that he plans on doing). Take this into consideration when booking plane tickets and such.
Looks like I'm saving my eligibility for 2013-2014-2015 History Bowl Nationals!
Hey man, that's a pretty funny joke and all, but I have been assured that the real Kay Li would never stoop so low as to troll an HSQB thread.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Teams who were registered to play last year may take a $75 discount on this tournament. I apologize if this doesn't cover your 2013 hotel cost, but I can't ask the writers of this tournament besides myself to take a reduced payment for their efforts because of my mistake, and if the tournament is not able to at least break even financially then it cannot be run at all. This is the best that can be done.

There is a $50 discount for teams who provide a qualified reader (can get through a more or less normal ACF length packet in 30 minutes) to this event.

If you are not affiliated with a team and would like to read for this event, we will pay you $50 cash. You must contact me in advance to be approved for this.

All staffers will receive lunch from the tournament on top of any discounts/payments.

At this time we are not offering to provide hotel nights for staffers at this tournament and are looking for people already staying with the ICT or local to the Chicago area; if this changes I will let the thread know.
Matt Weiner
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

gamegeek2 wrote:Regardless of whether we qualify for ICT or not, we plan on bringing a team to play this (assuming our funding request gets approved).
Basically the same story at WKU. We might have a staffer or two, but we just started planning so I'm not entirely sure yet.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Natl History Bowl College Nationals: Sun 3/30 Northweste

Post by Matt Weiner »

As an update, we are now at under 80 tossups to go for this tournament, plus some bonuses, so everything will definitely be done in time to do conscientious editing. I really like the way this set is shaping up in terms of exciting real-knowledge answer lines, and I encourage everyone with any interest in history to play it.
Matt Weiner
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Matt Weiner wrote:As an update, we are now at under 80 tossups to go for this tournament, plus some bonuses, so everything will definitely be done in time to do conscientious editing. I really like the way this set is shaping up in terms of exciting real-knowledge answer lines, and I encourage everyone with any interest in history to play it.
So with this tournament 3 weeks away, there are still 66 tossups and 113 bonuses left to be written. The progress Matt celebrated in his previous post was largely not of his effort. Discounting the 79 questions Matt wrote in April for last year's canceled iteration, he's only written 51 more questions this year.

I absolutely do not have time to write (and edit) 179 more questions. Hopefully Matt does, but after repeated promises to make big progress (including a promise to get all of the tossups done by yesterday), I am getting quite doubtful.
Mike Bentley
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I am writing now and planning to finish doing so rather than posting in this thread or making pointless promises. The set currently has enough questions for 10 packets, so in the event that my plan was, somehow, to do no further writing, there would still be enough to have a tournament.

I plan to be posting in the next few days that all 15 packets are complete, at which point we can stop worrying about it. As I told Mike repeatedly, after last year I don't see any reason people need to hear about why my "plans" are rather than that the set is actually done, but he has forced the issue, so here we are.

I will be returning to this thread when the set is done and not before.
Matt Weiner
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I haven't been informed too much about this but, assuming the Northwestern team attending is the full A team from this year, we should be Undergraduate eligible.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Sorry for asking this, but would the van be a round trip?

(What I mean is would the van return us to the hotel-motel?)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Cheynem wrote:Sorry for asking this, but would the van be a round trip?

(What I mean is would the van return us to the hotel-motel?)
Yes, the van can definitely bring you back.
David Madden
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Marquette and Minnesota will each be bringing two staffers.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
ObsidianFoot
Lulu

Post by ObsidianFoot »

Was a final decision actually made regarding eligibility rules for this tournament? My apologies if I missed a clear decision among all the suggestions made earlier.

If not, however, I strongly agree with what Stephen has said about why this event should not be treated as a make-up for last year's. I will also add that an attempt was made to run a make-up at VCU Open, which, I believe, Chris Ray proposed last year as the best possible solution, but which nonetheless failed to attract sufficient interest. Therefore, I am of the opinion that it is time to definitively move on from last year.

On the other hand, I will admit that, apart from being slightly disappointed, I was actually not extremely upset to hear about the cancellation last year. I also imagine that many other people were a lot more upset than I was. If they really care very much about this opportunity, I will not insist on keeping it from them.
Charles Tian
University of Chicago, 2014

ACF Nationals 2013 Undergraduate Champion

"You should have seized power, Tian!" --Rob Carson, 2012 National History Bee and Bowl
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

ObsidianFoot wrote:Was a final decision actually made regarding eligibility rules for this tournament? My apologies if I missed a clear decision among all the suggestions made earlier.
It's in the first post; 2013 graduates are eligible.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Just to clarify, we're sticking with the eligibility rules as I had originally outlined them so as not to confuse people further. The field is coming together nicely for this - if you are signed up and need to change registration numbers or division, or buzzers/van/staffers, just let me know at any time. Registration deadline is officially 11pm Eastern on Sunday, March 23. After that, it's only if we are good on staffers, buzzers, and haven't yet made the schedule. We'll look to see how the numbers finalize for each division and come up with some sensible schedule format at that point.
David Madden
Harpie's Feather Duster

In case the van fills: I will have my car at the ICT hotel and can probably take 2-3 people back to NU with me if they need it. Let me know if this becomes necessary.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

It seems we're right at the brink of needing an additional van or cars. Just wanted to remind everyone to make sure that you have transportation arranged to Northwestern, or let me know if you need a ride. Also, this is pretty much your last chance to sign up if you haven't yet done so, so let me know by Monday morning at the absolute latest if you haven't yet. And if you have any changes in your number of staffers / buzzers / teams / affiliations / van spaces, let me know all that too.
David Madden
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Also, if it wasn't clear, payments should just be brought to the opening meeting. We only accept cash or checks made out to "National History Bee and Bowl." If you need me to fill out forms / send W9s, etc., I can take care of that if you give me reasonably sufficient notice.
David Madden
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

As a requested update, there are 13 tossups and 68 bonuses left to write in this set at this exact second. We would have 14 packets if we stopped all work now, though of course we will keep writing to completion and I will do more editing in the final week.

In other words, the tournament will happen on its full schedule. We are in pretty good shape staff-wise, so I would encourage anyone else who is thinking about playing to register. I'm very happy with the quality and creativity of the set, and I think everyone with any interest in history will enjoy it.
Matt Weiner
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:Just wanted to remind everyone to make sure that you have transportation arranged to Northwestern, or let me know if you need a ride. Also, this is pretty much your last chance to sign up if you haven't yet done so, so let me know by Monday morning at the absolute latest if you haven't yet.
I neglected to ask till now whether Michigan can give me a ride; they can't. Bryan Berend and I are now looking for a ride to Northwestern (and I'm looking for a ride back to the hotel after the tournament).

EDIT: Ride found.
Last edited by Beast Mode on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

For convenience sake in determining what people owe, I've posted the list of registered teams from last year. Also, we seem to be good on buzzers and staff for now, so I'm putting a limit on those (unless you've already spoken to Matt about staffing). If you have, but your name isn't on the list, or affiliated with a school that has said it's bringing a staffer (and you are one of those said staffers), then email me too, so we have a complete list. More details to follow soon.
David Madden
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:If you need me to fill out forms / send W9s, etc., I can take care of that if you give me reasonably sufficient notice.
I emailed you a few days ago about a) registration and b) payment issues as described in the above quote, as well as bringing buzzers and a staffer (Ben Zhang). I'm wondering if we can still get those discounts since I emailed you prior to your most recent post.
Richard
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

armitage wrote:
Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:If you need me to fill out forms / send W9s, etc., I can take care of that if you give me reasonably sufficient notice.
I emailed you a few days ago about a) registration and b) payment issues as described in the above quote, as well as bringing buzzers and a staffer (Ben Zhang). I'm wondering if we can still get those discounts since I emailed you prior to your most recent post.
Yes, for sure. Sorry, I was directing this weekend up in New Hampshire, and am getting caught up on stuff this evening. I'll update accordingly in a sec.
David Madden
gyre and gimble
Yuna

I don't see it reflected in the lists above, but we're brining 3 buzzer sets and need 3 seats on the van.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

An update on the van front. It's not going to make sense for us to rent a van, since a 12 passenger van is going for $294 a day. However, a 7 passenger minivan is going for $77 a day. So right now, I'm thinking of getting 3 or 4 minivans. If you need van transport, please let me know as soon as possible so I can make the reservations.
Also, if you have car space, please let me know that too. I'm happy to let you keep the $10 we're charging for van transport if you end up taking passengers. I'll look to make the van reservations on Tuesday afternoon, so let by know by noon Tuesday eastern if you want in.
David Madden
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Just an update/clarification - we only have 11 rooms at our disposal, and we're sitting at 21 teams. I hope and expect that a 22nd team will be forthcoming, but we're going to need to close the draw there. If you have been planning on signing up last minute for this, please don't delay - let me know asap.
David Madden
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

We will be using digital packets, so staffers should bring laptops.
Matt Weiner
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Important notes:

The meeting room will be Fisk B4.

Due to people who need to leave for flights on Sunday evening, we are very serious about starting round 1 at 8:30 (and will likewise be setting a drop-dead time for returning from lunch that will be observed). If you would rather get an extra half hour of sleep than come to the opening meeting at 8, that's your prerogative, but plan to depart, park, and make your way to Fisk Hall in time to be in your round 1 game at 8:30. There is a small surface lot (Fisk Lot); after it is filled, the Lakeside Parking Structure, across the street, is suggested. Both should be free on weekends.

No games will be held up for any team, either in round 1 or after lunch. Be realistic about getting up in the morning and getting to the campus, and do not plan to get to the campus at 8:31 and expect to teleport from the parking lot into the game rooms.

Please be aware that, due to this week's derailment, there is no train service on the Blue Line out of O'Hare over the weekend. The CTA website says that there are buses to the Rosemont station being provided; I have no further information about the timetable of those. Teams who are not involved in the van pool or a private car are strongly encouraged to take a taxi at least in the morning, as timing the bus and the lengthy trip to Evanston on the El will be a challenge.

More info for van-pool participants is forthcoming from Dave.
Matt Weiner
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Two updates:
First, there's a $25 late fee if you don't have payment on Sunday. Please have payment on Sunday. Tracking down payments from past tournaments is one of my least favorite things in the world. If you do not have your full payment, you MUST have $25 in cash to pay as a late fee on Sunday, and you will be still be liable for the balance in full. If you do not pay this $25, you will not be allowed to compete.
Second, so here's the situation with the van. Right now, we have the following people who I have said could get rides:
Penn - 4 (will go with ride givers - should contact Charles Hang and Dylan Minarik)
Berkeley - 4 (car with Bentley at 7:50)
Cornell - 3 (minivan with Bunnie at 7:50)
Dartmouth - 4 (minivan with Bunnie at 6:45)
Harvard - 3 (minivan with Bunnie at 7:50)
Hadsall (driving)
Weiner - (car with Bentley at 6:45)
Voight - (car with Bentley at 6:45)
Berry - (car with Bentley at 6:45)
Bentley (driving)

Since of these teams, Penn signed up the latest, the four Penn people should go with Dylan Minarik (3) and Charles Hang (1) who both have exactly that many spaces in their cars and have said they can drive. Penn should pay the drivers in cash the $10 they would have paid for the van. That leaves 19 people. I have yet to make arrangements (though I want to tonight), but we have a few options here. First, we are not renting a 12 passenger van. That would be prohibitively expensive (like $294) and isn't going to carry everyone anyway. The next best option is a minivan for 7 though that's going for $91, whereas a full size 5 passenger car is just $33. Those are all w/o tax.
The staff should go over early and set up rooms and prep the opening meeting. They should leave at 6:45, and arrive at 7:15. Mike Bentley will drive a car with these 3, while Bunnie can drive the 4 Dartmouth people (the last to confirm among the other teams) in a minivan, leaving at 6:45, and arriving at 7:15. They will then return, and leave the Hyatt at 7:50, arriving at 8:20 with Berkeley (in one car) and Cornell and Harvard in the minivan. There are 3 extra spots in the early group at present, though I'd like to keep these open for other staffers for now.
This to me seems like the most sensible plan. If anyone has strong objections, let me know. Note that at the end of the day, Bunnie will do several shuttle trips with the van, but Mike has to leave at 5. He and Bunnie should take whoever's flights are soonest, but if everyone is all flying at 7:30, people may need to get cabs. This doesn't change the $10 owed for transit. Lest anyone think we're turning a profit here, with gas, taxes, and an age surcharge for Bunnie, I'll be happy if we break even.
David Madden
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

One other thing. Everyone who is on the above post as getting a ride MUST be in the appointed spot (i.e. at the front entrance to the hotel) ten minutes prior to either 6:45 or 7:50. Those are the absolute latest times the drivers will leave. If everyone is present early (as you should be), the drivers will leave early, to help stay on time. Penn, please make mutual arrangements with Charles and Dylan.
At this point, everyone else on the list (aside from staff, for whom the note on being there early still holds) owes $10 per person even if you back out or are not there. Do not make excuses that Bunnie's or Mike's watch was fast or whatever. If you are there 10 minutes early as you should be, that will preclude any problems of that ilk.
David Madden
Harpie's Feather Duster

Penn folks can get in contact with me through e-mail ([email protected]) or Facebook if they have any questions. Since I'm only taking one group of people I'm assuming I'll leave at 7:50, but I'm ok with leaving 5-10 earlier to give us a bit of a margin of error on the road.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17

Member Emeritus, PACE

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Note that there's an opening meeting at 8. I strongly suggest everyone be there for it (we will also need payments then). If you are coming on an NHBB van/car, then as long as you are at the hotel on time, you're ok - the tournament will not start without you. But leaving the Hyatt at 7:50 is cutting it somewhat close (ideally, if all goes as it should, those vehicles should actually leave at 7:40-7:45 and arrive around 8:10), and I strongly suggest everyone who is doing taxis/driving on their own/etc. to leave the Hyatt by 7:30, or 7:40 at the latest.
David Madden
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

A final email with details will go out tomorrow evening. As mentioned, if you have any other questions (including requests for invoices), email me. I'll be up late tonight working, and I'll send an invoice right over if you get in touch.
David Madden
AZQuizbowl
Lulu

Post by AZQuizbowl »

Everyone scheduled to ride in the van with Bunnie can get in touch with me at [email protected] .
Bunnie Hadsall
Arizona Quizbowl Association
Future Founder of the Dog Bowl

Walk away, crawl away. Your choice.
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

The O'Hare to Rosemont shuttle is free. Several buses will be going between O'Hare and Rosemont from now until further notice. If you plan to go into the city you just take the bus to Rosemont and get on the blue line the usual way.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

The person who's riding with me should email me at [email protected].
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Can someone from Berkeley please send me an e-mail ([email protected]) with a phone number to reach you guys at?
Mike Bentley