2014 ICT: specific questions

Old college threads.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: 2014 ICT: specific questions

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I never said anything on the matter that would contradict what anybody else in this thread has said.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The Slam Dunk Contest tossup wasn't really good either for what it's worth.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Can I see the Division 2 Holst tossup? If I recall correctly, IS-84A had a tossup on Holst that began with a less well-known clue, but I may be mistaken.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

2014 DII ICT round 9 wrote:Two works by this composer end with a "Fantasia on the Dargason," while the "Song of the Fisherman" appears twice in this composer's ~Japanese Suite~. His most famous work begins with timpani, harps, and strings playing G naturals in an ostinato in (*) 5/4 time; another work named for the girl's school where he was music director is the ~St. Paul's Suite~. For 10 points--name this English composer of ~The Planets~.
IS #84A round 3 wrote:His chamber opera ~Savitri~ and ~Hymns from the Rig Veda~ were based on his interest in Sanskrit and Hinduism. In 1905 he became music director at St. Paul's Girls School, where he wrote (*) ~Egdon Heath~. For 10 points--name this British composer of the astrology-inspired suite ~The Planets~.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I'd actually really like to see the D1 tossup on "Suites by Holst" out of pure vanity if that's possible. The Suites for Military Band are some of my favorite pieces of music and I wish I heard more questions on them.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

grapesmoker wrote:Can someone post that tossup on the Slam Dunk contest?
DI ICT round 6 wrote:In 1986 this event included {Terry Tyler} and Paul Pressey, while Terence Stansbury executed a "Statue of Liberty" maneuver. In 2000 a man from Toronto who beat his cousin in this event dangled from his {elbow}. Gerald Green once (*) blew out a birthday candle during this event, whose 1990 iteration featured defending champion {Kenny "Sky" Walker} and Dominique Wilkins. John Wall was voted the best participant in the 2014 edition of--for 10 points--what NBA competition whose participants "throw down"?

answer: NBA _Slam Dunk_ Contest (accept _Slam Dunk competition_ or similar answers including _Slam Dunk_; accept _Sprite Slam Dunk_ Contest; accept _NBA Dunk_ (Contest) or _All-Star (Weekend) Dunk_ (Contest); prompt on "(NBA) All-Star Weekend" until "act")
Goole by-election, 1971 wrote:I'd actually really like to see the D1 tossup on "Suites by Holst" out of pure vanity if that's possible. The Suites for Military Band are some of my favorite pieces of music and I wish I heard more questions on them.
DI ICT round 9 wrote:Genre and composer required. One of these works opens with {tuba}s and {euphonium}s playing an eight-bar "{chaconne}" [shuh-"CONE"] theme, while two of them end with a "Fantasia on the Dargason" [dar-gah-sahn]. The "Song of the Fisherman" appears twice in one of these works, the "Japanese." They include one that begins with {timpani}, {harp}s, and strings playing {G natural}s in an {ostinato} in (*) 5/4 ["five-four"] time, and one named for its composer's employer, the "St. Paul's." For 10 points--name these multi-movement works by the composer of ~The Planets~.

answer: _suite_s by Gustav(us Theodore von) _Holst_ (accept _suite_s _for military band_ by Gustav _Holst_ before "Song of the Fisherman"; prompt on partial answers)
[The first work is Holst's ~First Suite for Military Band~; both the ~Second Suite for Military Band~ and the ~St. Paul's Suite~ end with the "Dargason."]
-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Gerald Green and Carter before power...
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

DI ICT round 16 wrote:A "Selective Translation" of this conflict's namesake "Chronicle" appears in H. Paul Varley's 1967 history of it. The "red monk" led one faction during this war, during which construction halted on the Silver Pavilion. Its aftermath saw uprisings by the ~ikko (*) ikki~ and over 100 years of rule by the Hosokawa clan. It started after Yoshimasa stepped down as shogun, and it kicked off the Warring States Period. For 10 points--name this Japanese war fought from 1467 to 1477 during the Ashikaga Shogunate.

answer: _Onin_ War
Will's comment over in the general discussion thread reminded me that I wanted to come back to this question and change the early referents. I've changed the first two "period"s to "conflict" and "war"; does this version seem okay to people?

-Seth
Seth Teitler
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Some more questions mentioned over in the general discussion thread...
DI ICT round 12 wrote:This man worked with Roman Jackiw on an anomaly in neutral pion decay. Independently of Gerhard L\"uders, Wolfgang Pauli, and Julian Schwinger, he stated the CPT theorem. He extended David Bohm's work on pilot-wave theory to an analysis of expectation values of spin components along multiple axes in his paper "On the (*) Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Paradox." Observable discrepancies between quantum mechanics and local hidden variables theories are implied by--for 10 points--what physicist's inequalities?

answer: J(ohn) S(tewart) _Bell_
DI ICT round 8 wrote:This man showed that the equilibrium strain energy of a linear elastic body is half the dot product of the external forces and the displacements. The third parameter of the Antoine equation encodes deviations from an expression named for a German and for this man, who formulated the ideal gas law. Using the (*) Gibbs-Duhem equation and equating chemical potentials along coexistence curves gives a relation between latent heat and vapor pressure named--for 10 points--for what Frenchman and Clausius?

answer: (Beno\^it Paul) \'Emile _Clapeyron_ [ay-MEEL KLAP-uh-ron]
DI ICT round 15 wrote:This man's namesake population analysis arises in the LCAO approximation. He used "T" for characters of dimension 3 in his namesake symbols used to denote irreducible representations. This man and Hund formulated an alternative to Slater and Pauling's valence-bond theory, and he proposed quantifying a chemical property as the mean of (*) ionization energy and electron affinity. For 10 points--name this developer of molecular orbital theory who proposed an alternate electronegativity scale.

answer: Robert S(anderson) _Mulliken_
DI ICT round 3 wrote:This man coined the term "spallation" [spah-LAY-shun] and collaborated with John Livingood on synthesizing the medically useful isotopes ["EYE"-suh-tohpss] iodine-131 and cobalt-60. This longtime collaborator of Albert Ghiorso predicted the "island of stability," and introduced the (*) actinide [ACK-tih-nyde] concept. He shared a Nobel for completing Edward McMillan's project of using a sample of neptunium [nep-TOO-nee-um] to generate plutonium [ploo-TOH-nee-um]. For 10 points--name this discoverer of 10 elements, the only man to have an element named for him during his lifetime.

answer: Glenn (Theodore) _Seaborg_
DI ICT round 9 wrote:For a local minimum on a potential energy surface, this process corresponds to the positive eigenvalues ["EYE"-"gun"-"values"] of the Hessian. Experimental data on this process are shown in Birge-Sponer plots, allowing estimation of the dissociation energy from the first anharmonic correction to the spacing of its namesake energy levels. For an ~N~-atom non-linear molecule, it has 3~N~ \N- 6 (*) degrees of freedom. IR spectroscopy is sensitive to--for 10 points--what type of motion contrasted with translation and rotation?

answer: (molecular) _vibration_s
DI ICT round 12 wrote:The characteristic lesions of this disease initially develop in the olfactory bulb, according to a staging system developed by Braak. Clinical signs of this disease may be seen as an extrapyramidal side effect of the antipsychotic haloperidol [HAA-loh-"PAIR"-ih-"doll"]. Lewy (*) bodies containing alpha-synuclein [sih-NYOO-klee-ihn] accumulate in this disease. Cogwheel rigidity is seen in--for 10 points--what neurodegenerative disease characterized by loss of dopamine [DOH-puh-meen]-producing neurons in the substantia nigra [sub-STAAN-shee-uh NYE-gruh] and shuffling gait?

answer: _Parkinson_'s disease or idiopathic or primary _parkinsonism_
Seth Teitler
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Could someone post the text of the nuclear envelope tu
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

HMS Audacious wrote:Could someone post the text of the nuclear envelope tu
DI ICT round 13 wrote:This structure is bridged by proteins containing SUN ["sun"] and KASH ["cash"] domains. A bipartite motif, a leucine [LOO-seen]-rich motif, or one found in the SV40 T antigen is sufficient for proteins to cross it. This structure contains an eightfold symmetric complex with a central 30-nanometer hole. A gradient of the protein Ran drives (*) transport across this structure and its reassembly during telophase. For 10 points--name this double lipid bilayer whose pore complexes allow messenger RNA entry into the cytoplasm.

answer: _nuclear membrane_ or _nuclear envelope_ or _nucleolemma_ or _karyotheca_ (prompt on "nucleus" before "cross")
Seth Teitler
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Oh, that's right--I guess it should be apparent to everyone now, but the word "cross" never actually appears in the tossup, which was a problem during our game when a player did end up saying nucleus (which ended up being prompted).
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:Oh, that's right--I guess it should be apparent to everyone now, but the word "cross" never actually appears in the tossup, which was a problem during our game when a player did end up saying nucleus (which ended up being prompted).
"to cross it"
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I believe that at the time of the ICT, the word "cross" did not in fact appear due to an editing error. This has since been corrected, and we apologize for the mistake.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

oh, OK, the wording of the tossup on the description of the nuclear pore led me to neg it with "nuclear pore complex" since it suggested there was only complex/hole
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Oh, Seth must have edited it verbally then, because I heard 'cross' or something to that effect. This is an example of a really good question - hard leadin, knowable second clue, more knowable 3rd clue, etc. It would probably improve conversion to just make it on the nucleus though.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Oh, Seth must have edited it verbally then, because I heard 'cross' or something to that effect. This is an example of a really good question - hard leadin, knowable second clue, more knowable 3rd clue, etc. It would probably improve conversion to just make it on the nucleus though.
I think only Division II had that error.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread because I don't know if this question was used in DI or if it was only in DII, but the tossup on colour had two philosophy clues, both of which were incorrect, and then a giveaway about Newton (i.e. not really philosophy, whatever you think about "natural philosophers"). Also, sorry to revive an old thread, but BSQC was only just this past weekend and I thought this was worth commenting on.

A {thought experiment} regarding this concept involves Mary, who knows everything about its science, but has never experienced it; that experiment was put forward by Frank Jackson. Nelson Goodman proposed a "new riddle of {induction}" centering on a fictional, (*) time-dependent example of this concept called "{grue}." Isaac Newton's {prism} experiment split {light} into--for 10 points--what components?

answer: _color_(s) (do not prompt on "dispersion")

Saying that Jackson's knowledge argument is about colour is like saying that the Allegory of the Cave is about, well, caves. At BSQC a lot of people buzzed after "Mary" to say "qualia" or "epiphenomenalism" or "dualism" all of which are correct at that point, unlike colour, which is wrong because the thought experiment is only incidentally about colour (i.e. Jackson could have written about tasting bacon and the argument would run exactly the same way and still be about any/all of the three concepts I listed as possible acceptable answers).

Grue and bleen also aren't themselves colours, they're predicates that also happen to involve colours. "Green if first observed before time t and blue if first observed after t" cannot in any way be construed as a colour. This clue is less incorrect than the Jackson one, but it still slightly misrepresents argument. It's obvious what is being asked about, but that doesn't make the clues not wrong. It's kind of annoying to hear lots of new riddle questions written by people who don't seem even to have attempted to understand the wikipedia page about the thing.

These are clues that can be used in a colour tossup, they should just be used more carefully.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

Joey wrote:Saying that Jackson's knowledge argument is about colour is like saying that the Allegory of the Cave is about, well, caves.

[...]

These are clues that can be used in a colour tossup, they should just be used more carefully.
Joey, much as I admire you I can't help point out that this critique represents a failure to understand quizbowl. In quizbowl-land, the Allegory of the Cave is indeed about caves and your argument from expertise about the injustice this kind of question does to the study of philosophy represents the "aesthetic preference" of a self-declared expert with no greater claim to assessing clue validity than anyone globbing together clues to fill out the philosophy distribution under time pressure. Not everyone has the time or interest (or social standing) to study philosophy at Oxford.

Moreover, undoubtedly Andrew Yaphe will drop by to tell you that this isn't a philosophy tossup on color. It's a tossup that uses a gettable answer line to see whether you've heard of things that are important to the study of philosophy, regardless of the fact that if you know things of importance to philosophy, the question may well mislead you into answering with something else.

You Know Things. Now learn how to play this stupid game.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Tees-Exe Line wrote:
Joey wrote:Saying that Jackson's knowledge argument is about colour is like saying that the Allegory of the Cave is about, well, caves.

[...]

Joey, much as I admire you I can't help point out that this critique represents a failure to understand quizbowl. In quizbowl-land, the Allegory of the Cave is indeed about caves and your argument from expertise about the injustice this kind of question does to the study of philosophy represents the "aesthetic preference" of a self-declared expert with no greater claim to assessing clue validity than anyone globbing together clues to fill out the philosophy distribution under time pressure. Not everyone has the time or interest (or social standing) to study philosophy at Oxford.

Moreover, undoubtedly Andrew Yaphe will drop by to tell you that this isn't a philosophy tossup on color. It's a tossup that uses a gettable answer line to see whether you've heard of things that are important to the study of philosophy, regardless of the fact that if you know things of importance to philosophy, the question may well mislead you into answering with something else.

a good clue for a tossup on posting like a dick
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Tees-Exe Line wrote:

[...]

a good clue for a tossup on posting like a dick
_posting like Marshall Steinbaum_

ftfy hth
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

Tees-Exe Line wrote:

[...]

In quizbowl-land, the Allegory of the Cave is indeed about caves

[...]

It's a tossup that uses a gettable answer line to see whether you've heard of things that are important to the study of philosophy, regardless of the fact that if you know things of importance to philosophy, the question may well mislead you into answering with something else.

I pretty much get what you're saying here, and it's probably fair to say that the wrongness of these clues is less impactful than the wrongness of music clues that have been criticised recently (I was half-expecting someone to draw an analogy to that here). Even with that in mind, though, the tossup still doesn't quite fit your prescription. The first clause, which is on an article that tons of people study, points somewhere else. Simply rewording it "An expert in the science of this concept is the subject of a thought experiment about qualia put forward by Frank Jackson" is more economical, more correct and actually points someone who knows the clue cold in the right direction. Doing that also probably gives you space to put another useful philosophy clue (e.g. on Wittgenstein or Goethe).
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Joey wrote:I pretty much get what you're saying here, and it's probably fair to say that the wrongness of these clues is less impactful than the wrongness of music clues that have been criticised recently (I was half-expecting someone to draw an analogy to that here). Even with that in mind, though, the tossup still doesn't quite fit your prescription. The first clause, which is on an article that tons of people study, points somewhere else. Simply rewording it "An expert in the science of this concept is the subject of a thought experiment about qualia put forward by Frank Jackson" is more economical, more correct and actually points someone who knows the clue cold in the right direction. Doing that also probably gives you space to put another useful philosophy clue (e.g. on Wittgenstein or Goethe).
He's being sarcastic(/being Marshall). Your criticism is spot-on and that question was poorly written.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation