NHBB TV

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

NHBB TV

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Hi all,

So at this year's nationals, we had a videographer come and record matches, as well as set up a makeshift studio for recording previews/recaps and most interestingly interviews. Here's the channel! Take a look. This is the first year and we know I wasn't perfect on camera but we definitely will do this next year so we're open to any criticism, tips for improvements, and ideas to add to our current lineup.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Re: NHBB TV

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

One of the interviews is with one 'Ben Zhay' from Ladue; that should be fixed.
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

It would be nice to have descriptions for the videos of the bowl/bee rounds (for the ones where the teams aren't given in the title) so you don't have to hunt through the video to figure out who is playing. (I couldn't tell who was playing LASA in the finals because the audio was so bad.)

Other than that, I think this is a great idea.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Yeah, the audio for the actual rounds wasn't great, but I thought the interviews were really cool. This seems like a great thing to have at more national tournaments.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

This is a superb idea and the interviews were surprisingly (to me) insightful. A few cosmetic changes (lighting during the interviews is often off), better audio during the matches, and perhaps some more faster-paced editing and this is a great product for marketing to new teams and rewarding current teams/players.

It also seems like at some point in the future voiceover (or live?) commentary could be added to the matches themselves. The NHBB format naturally lends itself to more breaks than regular QB, which would be a great opportunity to make the matches more accessible to non-experienced viewers as well as provide a bit more formal analysis and commentary. Also, on-screen graphics would be quite useful, even if just basic enough to keep track of running scores. Finally, better integration of social media into these videos and other in-tournament updates would be ideal (there were more Twitter mentions of some random local NY "history bowl" than of the actual history bowl).

I hope this will provide the impetus for other QB orgs to continue to invest in more media tools like this.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
AZQuizbowl
Lulu

Post by AZQuizbowl »

It's important to note that this idea came about 2 weeks ago. We secured a videographer and everything about a week before the tournament. We had great ideas but not exactly the know-how to bring them to fruition, but our videographer Aaron helped us a lot (big shoutout to him).No editing was done whatsoever for this, so it was recorded and put online. The audio was definitely something that was a problem, but that was a lack of technical know-how more than anything (which will be fixed for next year). You can expect NHBB TV to be a real, continuous thing that improves each and every year. We plan on working with the same videographer next year, who now knows the format and what we're looking for. The key here was that we decided on an idea and went with it and the success it's brought so far (I'm personally looking back through these interviews and smiling ear to ear) is well worth the few technical issues this time.

Next year you can expect not only NHBB TV as you know it, but more interviews, higher quality, and more matches.

On the subject of additional social media, we will be further integrating that throughout the next year. We have a great team here at NHBB that will continuously improve. You can be on the lookout for a survey regarding this weekend's competition (including feedback on social media!) in the next week or so.

Thank you guys so much for your support. Any feedback is definitely loved. Please be sure to check out the Youtube channel as well--I'm sure a lot of teams will be looking at their video views and will be happy to see how many people watched them. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and please bear with us while we work out all the kinks. I'm so happy NHBB TV was such a huge success, and it's more fuel into the fire for future NHBB ideas.
Bunnie Hadsall
Arizona Quizbowl Association
Future Founder of the Dog Bowl

Walk away, crawl away. Your choice.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

The concept of NHBB TV seems relatively inoffensive and fun if there are spare staffers to run it; it gives players who consent to being filmed something to show parents, administrators, etc. for their efforts. I think it would look more professional if the interviews were done seated, at a table, or in front of a drape with the NHBB logo on it with the camera facing forwards, or some similar deliberate setup, rather than standing in a rather nondescript hallway.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

I will add to the captions and fix that (and other) typos in the coming days
RyuAqua wrote:The concept of NHBB TV seems relatively inoffensive and fun if there are spare staffers to run it; it gives players who consent to being filmed something to show parents, administrators, etc. for their efforts. I think it would look more professional if the interviews were done seated, at a table, or in front of a drape with the NHBB logo on it with the camera facing forwards, or some similar deliberate setup, rather than standing in a rather nondescript hallway.
The table thing crossed my mind a bit too late. For what it's worth, we used part of our random crap/trophies/morning training room as the studio, but yes getting a better backdrop is on the table for next year.

We didn't want to sink too much money and too many man-hours into it this year because we didn't really know a) if we would get any interviews or b) I/anyone would be available to do interviews. That is also why this wasn't really promoted before it really started happening. I would not have had the time or energy to put the amount of effort I put into this any of the previous years because I would have been too busy putting out fires and just in general freaking out about everything. However, this year I had enough time to film 17 interviews on Saturday alone because everything else was running well.

This was done with minimal planning and on a minimal budget with minimal staff and I think we did almost as well as we could have. Thank you all for the feedback, which will definitely go into the planning of this for next year.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl