Robin, your challenge is accepted.

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Robin, your challenge is accepted.

Post by Matt Weiner »

http://s7.invisionfree.com/UFCollegeBow ... wtopic=399

1) Never post anything on the Internet that you don't want everyone to see.

2) I'm rather offended at someone of your age, in this day and time, thinking that "you get an ass pounding every day" is an acceptable insult.

3) I'm not sure why Mike thinks I need to be formally barred from appearing at a high school tournament in Georgia. Unlike certain teams, I lost interest in playing high school tournaments shortly after I entered college.

4) I will be at the NAQT sectionals held at Maryland. I look forward to seeing Florida and Georgia there. Note to Robin: Remember to check the official scoresheet before you run out of the room cackling about your victory.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

I hope this Florida/Georgia team tells us who will be on this team. That way, I can make up some odds and gamble on this game's outcome like the degenerate I am.

Not like this match is ever happening (I assume Robin meant at ICT, not SCT).

Edit: Screw it, the opening money line is:

Weiner: -280
GA/FL: +240
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Given that Kevin Comer and I are both retired (I think), of which Robin may have been unaware, that's about where I'd set the line. I'd take the FL/GA group at -240 on an NAQT set, but (in the unlikely event that I acquire a farm) I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

EDIT: Oh ... never mind if it's a money-line bet.
Last edited by NotBhan on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Re: Robin, your challenge is accepted.

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Matt Weiner wrote: 2) I'm rather offended at someone of your age, in this day and time, thinking that "you get an ass pounding every day" is an acceptable insult.
This is off-topic, but I think that such a statement could still be an insult even if homosexuality were to be accepted as something non-insulting.

For instance, it could be an insult because it implies that the person who is getting pounded as such is highly promiscuous or "easy", or it could be used to imply that said person is the "inferior" or "slave" in an asymmetrical relation. Even if such relations are accepeted, being the superior or master is likely to be seen as more prestigious or preferable.

Which is not to say that I am rehashing the insult. Merely that it isn't necessarily homophobic, and that I think it can survive and even prosper after our society no longer consideres homosexuality itself an insult.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Leo Wolpert wrote:the opening money line is:

Weiner: -280
GA/FL: +240
What does this mean in layman's terms?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If you bet on Weiner, he has to win by more than 280 for you to win the bet. If you bet on GA/FL, they have to come within 240 for you to win. If Weiner wins by between 240 and 280, the bookie gets rich.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

ReinsteinD wrote:If you bet on Weiner, he has to win by more than 280 for you to win the bet. If you bet on GA/FL, they have to come within 240 for you to win. If Weiner wins by between 240 and 280, the bookie gets rich.
No, this is a money line bet, so you are betting on the outcome of the game, not the score. You must put up $280 to win $100 if you bet on Weiner; you must put up $100 to win $240 if you bet on GA/FL.

(In layman's terms, this means I believe Weiner's a pretty decent favorite in this matchup).
kactigger
Lulu

on the Fla/Ga v. Weiner match

Post by kactigger »

I am retired from playing, and even if I wasn't it would be difficult for me to play, since I no longer live in the United States. We were hoping to play Weiner at NAQT Nationals last year- I don't ever remember facing him (except in a CBI Nationals game, which he wouldn't think should count, and I don't remember who won anyway) because I wanted to see how good he was in person. Unfortunately, VCU didn't qualify for the top bracket, so we missed playing him.
I've always thought Georgia added a certain amount of charm to the circuit- holding a trash tournament at a resort island was a pretty fun idea.
Just because they choose to go to football games rather than tournaments in the fall- it is a Southern school, and I remember skipping a couple of tournaments in my playing days if there was a big home game.
Kevin Comer, ex-UF.
96sininep

Post by 96sininep »

Oh, Matt Weiner, you accept the challenges of the world.

But what do you do, sir, when the WORLD CHALLENGES BACK??????????????
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

96sininep wrote:Oh, Matt Weiner, you accept the challenges of the world.

anyone else not able to see whatever that link is about?
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Rothlover wrote:

Seems to me to be a link to http://chibowl.proboards78.com/index.cgi , but with that particular poster you never know.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Bruce wrote:
Rothlover wrote:

Seems to me to be a link to http://chibowl.proboards78.com/index.cgi , but with that particular poster you never know.
That site is the weirdest circle-jerk since "Travels With Charley: Part 245."

It is certainly more amusing, however.

Also, I'll take Matt with the current point spread. Wouldn't it be FUNNER to see a three game series however, on TRASH, ACF and NAQT?
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: on the Fla/Ga v. Weiner match

Post by Matt Weiner »

kactigger wrote:We were hoping to play Weiner at NAQT Nationals last year- I don't ever remember facing him (except in a CBI Nationals game, which he wouldn't think should count, and I don't remember who won anyway) because I wanted to see how good he was in person. Unfortunately, VCU didn't qualify for the top bracket, so we missed playing him.
2002 ACF Nationals: Pitt 290, Florida 70

2001 CBI Nationals: Florida 345, Pitt 150

2002 CBI Nationals: Pitt 265, Florida 195

No games between VCU and Florida since I got here that I can recall. You're right, I don't count CBI, and I can't exactly take credit for the above games anyway as I was but one member of a team. Last year I went to sectionals with another player, but ICT by myself. We'll see how things pan out this year in terms of my number of teammates for any matchups that might occur.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq »

96sininep wrote:But what do you do, sir, when the WORLD CHALLENGES BACK??????????????
Thanks for advertising my book, Chicago. And yes, feel free to use it as a template. Now, if you ever find my secret weapon...
Ray Luo, UCLA.
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

How about you start calling this the Weiner v. Robin, Napier, and Jeff since the three of them seem to be the only FL/GA people that have anything to say on the subject. Or, if you'd like to include alums in this little contest, you can group Raj and Kevin in there (if they want to try to get in on this). Otherwise, how about you just leave the rest of us at FL and GA out of it since more then half of the FL team doesn't even know who you are.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

MCDoug wrote:How about you start calling this the Weiner v. Robin, Napier, and Jeff since the three of them seem to be the only FL/GA people that have anything to say on the subject. Or, if you'd like to include alums in this little contest, you can group Raj and Kevin in there (if they want to try to get in on this). Otherwise, how about you just leave the rest of us at FL and GA out of it since more then half of the FL team doesn't even know who you are.
I'm happy to hear that the virulent "trash is awesome, NAQT is okay sometimes, all other quizbowl is for dorks and idiots and we would never go to it" strain of thought exemplified by Robin and Mike is something that those teams don't actually believe and that has been unjustly represented as their opinion by minority forces. Maybe you should take some of your righteous indignation and direct it towards Robin for dragging your team into this festival of poorly thought out opinions and homophobia. Unlike the Georgia team that he at least used to have some claim to be on, I'm not sure what Robin's connection to the University of Florida is, and it's odd that you would take more exception to me noting his speaking on their behalf, than to the actual speaking itself. I really have never had any problem with the Florida team and I hope that it's still the case that I don't; I was just accepting Robin's offer to play Georgia, Florida, or some combination thereof on NAQT questions (which will require them coming to the Maryland sectional since there's no chance we'll all be in the same bracket at ICT or that there will be any extra packets there on which to play an exhibition game). Again, if Robin has no authority to make that offer on behalf of Florida's team, then you should be scolding him for doing so.
Matt Weiner
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

MCDoug wrote:Otherwise, how about you just leave the rest of us at FL and GA out of it since more then half of the FL team doesn't even know who you are.
Oh, I thought it was because once the Florida grad students heard it wasn't a Division II match, they immediately lost interest in playing it.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Leo Wolpert wrote:
MCDoug wrote:Otherwise, how about you just leave the rest of us at FL and GA out of it since more then half of the FL team doesn't even know who you are.
Oh, I thought it was because once the Florida grad students heard it wasn't a Division II match, they immediately lost interest in playing it.
OH SNAP
AuguryMarch
Lulu

Post by AuguryMarch »

Leo, you get

FFFIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

Sorry, I guess I should have made things a little more clear. The "you" that I was addressing wasn't meant to be just Matt Weiner, it was meant to be everyone that was including the entirety of UF.

As far as UF going to the Maryland Sectional, good luck getting that to happen. If there is one available closer, which hopefully there will be, then we will go to that one.

I've only met and talked to Robin a couple of times, but he seemed like a nice friendly guy. I'd definately say I like him better than Napier or Weiner (which I think both of you know).

And just to let you know, there are a lot of us down here who dont like trash. Anyone on my team will tell you that I was the one complaining about the 2 trash questions a round at COTKU this year. I actually complained to Charlie about it. If I had to pick a format it would have to be ACF.

Now, if you guys really do want to play, how about meeting in the middle or setting something up on the side at ICT instead of just trading jabs at each other? (at this point, I would also bet on Matt)
UFeng
Lulu

Post by UFeng »

"trash is awesome, NAQT is okay sometimes, all other quizbowl is for dorks and idiots and we would never go to it"
Matt, I challenge you to find a thread where I said that. And if you looked at those links to the stats you posted you'd find I was AT that ACF Nationals and I've attended several other ACF tournaments. And several invitationals that would presumably fall under "all other quizbowl" so obvious the claim that I'd "never go to it" is garbage because the stats records prove I have. So basically, all this is is just another one of your efforts to steer a discussion to one of your little pet rants.

How about you start calling this the Weiner v. Robin, Napier, and Jeff
I never made any kind of challenge, that was Robin, so I suggest that you drop mine and Jeff's name from that Doug. Apparently you enjoy posting on behalf of other people, but you might want to stop that.
You'll want to make that grad STUDENT Leo. There's only one grad STUDENT here who has continued to play novice competitions into his mid-20's. The rest of us at UF understand the term "novice"
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

UFeng wrote:Matt, I challenge you to find a thread where I said that.
It's right next to where the ACF editors said that if you find the questions too hard, you should shut up and read Benet's.
Matt Weiner
Swickles
Kimahri

Post by Swickles »

I registered so I could say the following things:

Matt Weiner is a douche
Napier is investing too much into this
Sweet burn on Doug
Jesus christ you people take this shit way to seriously. I would like to direct you to this huge thing on the other side of your window (the clear thing in your room with the pile of hot pockets wrappers in front of it) called outdoors.

This is my first and probably last post.

edit: and last visit too...
UFeng
Lulu

Post by UFeng »

I think you're thinking of this post:
Quote:
Incidentally, TRASH Regionals averaged 5.6 tossup answers that I'd never heard of per round.

Why do I get the feeling that someone who posted this with "ACF ____" instead of TRASH Regionals would be told to study more, write more questions, read Benet's, etc?
When I was simply defending TRASH because the "I haven't heard of this stuff" argument wouldn't fly at an ACF tournament. And again Matt, I've gone to plenty of ACF tournaments, so my actions speak that I find it in at least a small way worth my time, even if I do enjoy trash more. (I know that in your world view it puts me in the seventh layer of Hell, but fortunately you don't ultimately make those decisions)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

UFeng wrote:When I was simply defending TRASH because the "I haven't heard of this stuff" argument wouldn't fly at an ACF tournament.
Yeah, so your obviously false premise that complaints about difficulty aren't taken seriously at ACF (did you miss the part where ACF Fall was specifically created to be easy, ACF Regionals difficulty has markedly decreased since 2000, and we had a two page thread about how to make ACF easier last week?) was backed up by a fictitious quote that you made up. That's sort of my point.
And again Matt, I've gone to plenty of ACF tournaments, so my actions speak that I find it in at least a small way worth my time, even if I do enjoy trash more. (I know that in your world view it puts me in the seventh layer of Hell, but fortunately you don't ultimately make those decisions)
I've gone to more trash tournaments than ACF tournaments in my qb career. What do you think of that?
Matt Weiner
UFeng
Lulu

Post by UFeng »

My premise was that in a thread entitled "Double Standard" complaining that TRASH got a pass, I saw a double standard going against TRASH. The quote was a "hypothetical", created for the purpose of illustrating that point. I DIDN'T complain about the difficulty of ACF Fall or ACF Regionals, so yet again, you're distracting from the point.
I've gone to more trash tournaments than ACF tournaments in my qb career. What do you think of that?
I would think you must be one of those older players ruining the circuit by constantly going to trash tournaments that you continually warn about.
radiantradon
Lulu

Post by radiantradon »

Hey kids... insulting each other on internet message boards stopped being cool about, oh, five years ago?