Wisconsin 2014-2015

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TylerV
Wakka

Wisconsin 2014-2015

Post by TylerV »

I'm not sure if anybody from Wisconsin frequents this board but I thought I would give this shot.

From what I saw this year Wisconsin has numerous teams(although the ones I saw seemed to be History bowl teams rather than just quizbowl) but none of them went to very many events(even those close to the boarder of more active states).

I'll be at UW-Platville for the foreseeable future( this may or may not involve hosting tournaments depending on what resources I have available to me) and I am open to staff any nearby tournaments.

I would love if anybody(not just limited to people from Wisconsin) could give some information and just discuss the state in general.
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
kiestosuccess
Lulu

Re: Wisconsin 2014-2015

Post by kiestosuccess »

I'll be at UW-Madison, and wouldn't be opposed to moderating a tournament in the vicinity, since I won't have a car. I may play a little, but it isn't number one on my priority list next year.
Ian Kies
Saint Thomas Academy '14
University of Wisconsin-Madison '17 (winter)

"I'm the Trash Man! I come out, I throw trash all over the- all over the ring! And then I start eatin' garbage! And then I pick up the trash can, and I bash the guy on the head."

-Frank Reynolds
Hobbie Klivian
Lulu

Post by Hobbie Klivian »

To my knowledge, there are some active science bowl teams and academic decathlon teams as well as the teams participating in NHBB. Although there seems to be a lack of general pyramidal quiz bowl (correct me if I'm wrong in that impression, speaking from a few people I know there), it would be interesting to see more development in Wisconsin.
Paul Lee

Dunlap '15
Penn '19
kiestosuccess
Lulu

Post by kiestosuccess »

I know of a few teams in qb, like Stoughton and eau Claire Regis and Hudson among a few others, but pyramidal isn't that widespread. They have two tournaments a year, Wisconsin fall, and then state competition.
Ian Kies
Saint Thomas Academy '14

"I'm the Trash Man! I come out, I throw trash all over the- all over the ring! And then I start eatin' garbage! And then I pick up the trash can, and I bash the guy on the head."

-Frank Reynolds
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

There are a few more than that; both West Salem and La Crosse Logan hosted spring tournaments this year.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
kiestosuccess
Lulu

Post by kiestosuccess »

Oh yeah, I'm just trying to remember talking to a couple kids from Wisconsin who went to MN tournaments this past season. I'd love to help staff some tournaments at Madison when that time comes around.
Ian Kies
Saint Thomas Academy '14

-Frank Reynolds
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Come to Illinois! We have a very active schedule and would love to see some Wisconsin teams at our tournaments.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
garciaja
Lulu

Post by garciaja »

I will be in Madison starting this academic year, and would love to help moderate, TD, do stats, or anything quizbowl related since I won't be a coach anymore and want to get involved in the Wisconsin quizbowl scene.
James Garcia
Champaign Centennial High School Coach
Player for Springfield Southeast '04
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Late to the party, but I'm in Appleton if somebody needs an extra staffer for a high school tournament. It's pretty out of the way for most things and I don't have a car, but I have a pretty good handle on the bus system.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

This thread from 2011 lays out the situation in Wisconsin.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11801&

According to the NAQT website there are two middle school tournaments and one high school tournament scheduled for Wisconsin in 2014-2015.

It also looks like History Bowl is planning on having at least one location in Wisconsin.

If any Wisconsin teams want to be serious and play a lot of tournaments, they would likely have to travel to Minnesota and/or Illinois.

Hudson (right on the Minnesota border) played in the Thursday night league in Minnesota last season, and western Wisconsin teams travel to Minnesota teams on a somewhat regular basis.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Strongside wrote:According to the NAQT website there are two middle school tournaments and one high school tournament scheduled for Wisconsin in 2014-2015.
Note that this is not likely to be a final total. In 2013-14 four Wisconsin high school tournaments used NAQT questions, and five Wisconsin schools sent teams to HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Not sure if anyone will read this, but I will be in Wisconsin next year and would be happy to help out with anything going on there.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15