New masters tournament for May 2006

Old college threads.
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

New masters tournament for May 2006

Post by Birdofredum Sawin »

This is a preliminary announcement of an open tournament which will be held next May in Chicago. The tournament will be written by myself, Seth Teitler, and Selene Koo, and will aim for a difficulty level between ACF Regionals and Nationals. We may make minor modifications in the distribution, which will be detailed in a later post.

If you're interested in attending this tournament, or if you might want to host a mirror of it, please get in touch with me.

Thanks,

Andrew
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Would this be instead of a Chicago Open later this summer? I hope not, if only because I very much enjoy coming up there. But if so, I'll make it to this tournament instead.

And while I'm hijacking Andrew's thread, I remember him asking about how to run Chicago this summer. Though I would love to have the set written by Andrew again (or whomever is hardy enough to attempt it), I wouldn't ask that of him. I'd be willing to go to packet submission there if it would help the Chicago folks run it.
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

The as-yet-unnamed May masters tournament will be completely distinct from Chicago Open, which will presumably be held in late July/early August. (I won't be writing this year's Chicago Open, but the tournament will happen; whether it will be centrally-written or packet-submission is not known to me at this time.) As it happens, part of the point of our having this May tournament is to try to set up some sort of masters circuit, or at least add to the number of tournaments open to non-student players. But that'll be the subject of a later post.

Andrew
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Re: New masters tournament for May 2006

Birdofredum Sawin wrote:This is a preliminary announcement of an open tournament which will be held next May in Chicago. The tournament will be written by myself, Seth Teitler, and Selene Koo, and will aim for a difficulty level between ACF Regionals and Nationals. We may make minor modifications in the distribution, which will be detailed in a later post.
This is just to explain the "minor modifications" which we'll be making. In a move sure to bring joy to Matt Weiner's heart (and which may cause the tournament to be cursed by Jeff Hoppes), we're replacing the 1/1 geography in the standard ACF distribution with 1/1 trash. A smattering of geography questions may still appear in the tournament, but they will be relegated to the "miscellaneous other" grab-bag, where they will be forced to compete for space with extras from the other categories. Otherwise, the distribution will be the garden-variety ACF breakdown.

Andrew