Gorilla Literature Singles (July 20, Chicago)

Old college threads.
felgon123
Lulu

Gorilla Literature Singles (July 20, Chicago)

Post by felgon123 »

Having talked with Auroni and come to the agreement that anyone, even a gorilla, could run three tossups-only events in one day and still get to the airport on time, I am pleased to announce this guerilla literature tournament as the third Sunday event for Chicago Open weekend. This tournament, the brainchild of Evan Adams, Matt Bollinger, and myself, will consist of eight (possibly nine) packets of power-marked literature tossups. Here’s how it will work:

Packets: This is an optional-invitational packet submission tournament. If you are willing to write a packet (and I mean a fucking good one), declare yourself, but that does not mean you will be permitted to write a packet. We will select from the group of potential packet-writers the writers who have most thoroughly proven their ability to write high-quality, high-difficulty literature tossups. If we have more than enough stellar volunteers and you are not chosen, you will have to pay the hefty sum of $8 (possibly $9) to play this awesome tournament, in addition to getting to play an extra round and not having a bye. IMPORTANT: Someone who is not going to play this in Chicago, PLEASE volunteer to write a packet. We need one packet written by someone who will NOT be at the main site to use as a seeding round.

UPDATE: This tournament will feature packets by Matt Bollinger, Evan Adams, Rob Carson, Auroni Gupta, Will Nediger, John Lawrence, Jerry Vinokurov, and myself. Profits from this tournament will be divided among the staffers and those who help with the seeding packet. We would like the seeding packet to consist of 30 tossups, and welcome the idea of it being a collaborative effort between multiple volunteers.

Format: We will be reviving the exciting, long-dormant format I used many years ago for my Tyrone Slothrop Literature Singles, in which each game is a four-person shootout. After an initial seeding round, the four highest-scoring players are put in the “top room,” the next four in the “second room,” and so on. From then on, after each round, the bottom scorer in each room swaps places with the top scorer in the room below. Players in the top room try to keep their places while those below try to claw their way up. Unlike the last time I used this format, there will be no finals packet, so total points scored in the top room will determine the final standings. Players who have byes (in which they read the round they wrote) while they are in the top room will have their average PPG in the top room added to their final total as a rough correction factor for the game they didn’t play. Anyone who has a moral objection to the less-than-perfect nature of this scoring system is not approaching the tournament with the right attitude.

Difficulty: Nationals/Post-Nationals. Don’t be an idiot and write ten crazy experimental tossups, but the questions (not necessarily the answers, of course) should be very difficult, and a couple insane things is okay.

Packet Format: Reviving another of my devices from Tyrone Slothrop, power-mark your tossups for 20-point powers. This does not mean give them superpowers and regular powers. It just means that powers count for 20 points. All tossups should be 6-8 lines in 10-point Times New Roman with 1-inch margins.

Distribution:
Your packet MUST include:
6-9 novel-oriented tossups
6-9 poetry-oriented tossups
4-9 other-oriented tossups (plays, short stories, essays, and anything else)
21 total tossups
For tossups that cross categories, you pick how to count them.

The ONLY other rule is that AT LEAST 10 of your tossups must focus on English-language literature. A healthy mix of American, British, European, and World is sternly encouraged, but I am imposing no hard limits on these beyond the 10-English-language minimum.

EDIT: One more rule. You are permitted ONE tossup that strays in the direction of trash, uses trash clues, etc., but please do not just write a tossup on some bizarre trash lit thing that only you like just so you can giggle over it when it goes dead, because that's a waste of a question.

The sign-up sheet is here.
Last edited by felgon123 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy
UVA '15
Harvard...let's say '23
Auroni
Auron

Re: Gorilla Literature Singles (July 20, Chicago)

Post by Auroni »

I'll play and volunteer to write a packet.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm in for playing. [Edit: Not writing, as I'm working on something else for that day]
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

I'll volunteer. As is well-known, my ability to write hard literature questions is established, though I don't know about good questions.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

I suppose I'll volunteer to write the "non-attending" packet.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I'm in and will write a packet.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Seems like this tournament is in need of a sign-up sheet.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Tanay wrote:I suppose I'll volunteer to write the "non-attending" packet.
If you want, and people think it would be worthwhile, I could throw in some questions for this too.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Assuming I can make it out for CO, I'll gladly staff this. I might write some eccentric questions for the "not-attending" packet, too.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

I'm playing. I don't want to write a packet for this since I will be editing something for the same weekend.

Edit: But I will anyway! Tommy and the executive board of writers, if you're going to choose me, let me know sooner rather than later, otherwise I might offer up the burnt entrails of bad submissions from CO itself as potential questions.
Last edited by Ike on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ike
UIUC 13
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'm in and would be happy to write.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'll definitely play and have more money than time, so I'd prefer not to write, but if you end up short a writer, I could generate a packet (if found worthy, of course).
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I'd like to play. Since I haven't written a lot of high-level literature, I'll say that I'll write a packet if you really need another one. (Just let me know, and I'll do my best)
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I'll play, presuming flight times and scheduling work out okay. I encourage some sort of sign-up sheet or email registration process unless you want to read through a lot of posts like this one.

I won't be writing a packet, since I'm sure my attempts at literature writing could never meet your ever-high standards.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I'd like to play this but doubt my packet-writing skills are up to snuff, so I'll take the entrance fee.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Goole by-election, 1971 wrote:I'd like to play this but doubt my packet-writing skills are up to snuff, so I'll take the entrance fee.
This for me too.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I'll read for this and/or contribute questions about graphic novels
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

This is the most offensive tournament announcement since VCU Closed and is just begging for a joke about a narrowly-defined set of Virginians. I am offering to write a seeding packet, by which I mean, a packet that completely screws up the tournament by dropping giveaways in the second line.

But seriously, I probably won't stick around after history so I would be happy to contribute non-trolling questions to said seeding packet and/or write it myself.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
felgon123
Lulu

Post by felgon123 »

In case anyone misunderstood, I'd like to clarify that Evan, Matt, and I all plan on writing packets and playing. No one will be editing these questions. Because we will only have time for eight or nine rounds, each of which (with the exception of the seeding round) must be produced by a single writer and edited by no one, preference will naturally be given to the literature writers with the most experience. We devised the selection process with a view to creating the best possible guerilla tournament, and were we simply editing a literature tournament and soliciting contributions, we would gladly accept efforts from even the most inexperienced of writers with a view to helping them improve and grow. Our approach to this tournament was outlined with the goal of optimizing both economy and question quality (which no one but the writer of each packet will be able to monitor), not out of any desire to flaunt some sense of superiority or elitism.
Tommy
UVA '15
Harvard...let's say '23
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

felgon123 wrote:...We would gladly accept efforts from even the most inexperienced of writers with a view to helping them improve and grow.
Does your husbandry protocol involve throwing the writers out a window?
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

felgon123 wrote:In case anyone misunderstood, I'd like to clarify that Evan, Matt, and I all plan on writing packets and playing. No one will be editing these questions. Because we will only have time for eight or nine rounds, each of which (with the exception of the seeding round) must be produced by a single writer and edited by no one, preference will naturally be given to the literature writers with the most experience. We devised the selection process with a view to creating the best possible guerilla tournament, and were we simply editing a literature tournament and soliciting contributions, we would gladly accept efforts from even the most inexperienced of writers with a view to helping them improve and grow. Our approach to this tournament was outlined with the goal of optimizing both economy and question quality (which no one but the writer of each packet will be able to monitor), not out of any desire to flaunt some sense of superiority or elitism.
Will you appoint a non-player who could receive packets by email and perhaps do a basic repeat-check (as Kyle Haddad-Fonda did for Guerrilla History), so these can be collected by someone who isn't playing the tournament?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I'm in. And I'll write a packet, if approved to do so.
RyuAqua wrote: Will you appoint a non-player who could receive packets by email and perhaps do a basic repeat-check (as Kyle Haddad-Fonda did for Guerrilla History), so these can be collected by someone who isn't playing the tournament?
This seems like a very good idea.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:
RyuAqua wrote: Will you appoint a non-player who could receive packets by email and perhaps do a basic repeat-check (as Kyle Haddad-Fonda did for Guerrilla History), so these can be collected by someone who isn't playing the tournament?
This seems like a very good idea.
I'd be happy to do this, as long as I'd know in advance to whom I'm supposed to send the packets the day of.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Packets will be written by Tommy Casalaspi, Matt Bollinger, Will Nediger, Rob Carson, Auroni Gupta, John Lawrence, Jerry Vinokurov, and me. Please write 21 tossups (keeping Tommy's distribution in mind), powermark them, and send them to Jacob Reed. His email address can be found by clicking the email button on his post in this thread. Try to get them in by the Saturday a week before CO to allow him time to look for repeats; the next Wednesday is the final deadline though.

Tanay and Jacob, can you guys collaborate on the seeding packet of 30 tossups total? We'll get details on who will be running the tournament in a few weeks.

The sign-up sheet is here. If you'd like to play sign up as soon as possible because we may need to cap the tournament if we don't get enough staff. I went ahead and put everyone who signed up in this thread in the spreadsheet. If you decide you don't want to play, please remove your name as soon as possible. To avoid any shenanigans, please comment in this thread saying you'd like to play in addition to putting your name in the spreadsheet.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

vcuEvan wrote:Tanay and Jacob, can you guys collaborate...
Ouch. Sorry my lit's not good enough for this tournament.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

This is beyond my capacity to compete in, so I've signed up to staff.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Posting to confirm I added myself to the sheet (playing).
Richard
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

What is the fees for this tourna-ment?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I would like to play this side event and have added my name to the spreadsheet.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Hello friends,

Consonant with my "play anything offered" policy, I've signed up to play this. If you still need some questions, I could be persuaded - let me know.

M
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

felgon123 wrote:Format: We will be reviving the exciting, long-dormant format I used many years ago for my Tyrone Slothrop Literature Singles, in which each game is a four-person shootout. After an initial seeding round, the four highest-scoring players are put in the “top room,” the next four in the “second room,” and so on. From then on, after each round, the bottom scorer in each room swaps places with the top scorer in the room below. Players in the top room try to keep their places while those below try to claw their way up. Unlike the last time I used this format, there will be no finals packet, so total points scored in the top room will determine the final standings. Players who have byes (in which they read the round they wrote) while they are in the top room will have their average PPG in the top room added to their final total as a rough correction factor for the game they didn’t play. Anyone who has a moral objection to the less-than-perfect nature of this scoring system is not approaching the tournament with the right attitude.
Starting work on my packet, I glanced through this thread to remind myself of the distribution. I read this format paragraph again, and I'm not sure if I'm understanding how this works. Are the following hypothetical sequences of events correct, according to the format?

Basic situation: Players A, B, C, and D are in the top room for Round 1. Player E is in the second room for Round 2. Player D is the lowest scorer in the top room and Player E is the highest scorer in the second room.
Case 1: Player E's packet is being read for Round 2. He gets a bye for Round 2, but automatically joins the top room for Round 3. Player D is still kicked down to the second room for Round 2. The top room has only three players for Round 2.
Case 2: Player C's packet is being read for Round 2. He moderates, and the three-player top room contains players A, B, and E. All three of them outscore what Player C made in Round 1. Nonetheless, Player C automatically stays in the top room for Round 3, and the top-room player with the lowest score in Round 2 is the one who gets kicked down to the second room.
Case 3: Player D's packet is being read for Round 2. He moderates Round 2. Player C has the lowest score for Round 2. Now, both Player C and Player D have to go to the second room for Round 3. The top room will now contain Player A, Player B, Player E, and Player F, the high scorer from the second room.

EDITED to reflect Aaron's corrections.
Last edited by ThisIsMyUsername on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I think you have it mostly right, John. Except that:
ThisIsMyUsername wrote: Case 3a: Player D's packet is being read for Round 2. He moderates Round 2. Player C has the lowest score for Round 2. Now, both Player C and Player D have to go to the second room for Round 3. The top room will now contain Player A, Player B, and Player F, the high scorer from the second room. Three people is the new unofficial status quo number of people for the top room.
Case 3b: Corollary to the above. Round 3's packet is by Player F. For Round 3, the top room is now just two people: Player A and Player B.
This doesn't quite happen because in round 2, the top room should contain Player A, Player B, (edit: Player C,) and Player E, who rotated in from round 1.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

adosreme wrote:I think you have it mostly right, John. Except that:
ThisIsMyUsername wrote: Case 3a: Player D's packet is being read for Round 2. He moderates Round 2. Player C has the lowest score for Round 2. Now, both Player C and Player D have to go to the second room for Round 3. The top room will now contain Player A, Player B, and Player F, the high scorer from the second room. Three people is the new unofficial status quo number of people for the top room.
Case 3b: Corollary to the above. Round 3's packet is by Player F. For Round 3, the top room is now just two people: Player A and Player B.
This doesn't quite happen because in round 2, the top room should contain Player A, Player B, (edit: Player C,) and Player E, who rotated in from round 1.
That makes sense. Edited above to be actually correct now.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Packets received in bold:
Evan Adams
Matt Bollinger
Rob Carson
Tommy Casalaspi
Auroni Gupta
John Lawrence
Will Nediger
Jerry Vinokurov
Last edited by vinteuil on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think the format ensures it doesn't matter too much, but for myself and presumably others who have to leave by specific times, there's the possibility I won't be able to play every round.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

i will pay money to sit at a buzzer adn not get questions.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I'm not going to be at Chicago Open, so I've removed myself from the sign-up sheet.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Given that the writers of the seeding packet (Jacob, Marshall, and myself) will need some time to write replacement tossups for repeats, submissions within the next few days are encouraged.
Tanay
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

vcuEvan wrote:Try to get them in by the Saturday a week before CO to allow him time to look for repeats; the next Wednesday is the final deadline though.
This would be nice. I like packets.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
felgon123
Lulu

Post by felgon123 »

Announcements:

1. The packet deadline is tonight. If you have not yet submitted yours, hurry up!

2. We are capping the field now at thirty-seven players.

3. We have made some slight changes to the format so as to ensure we have enough readers through the whole tournament. We have enough to run the full nine rooms for the seeding round, but a few of our readers may leave before the tournament is over to catch their flights. To avoid having this cause problems, we have adopted the following procedure. The top two scorers in each seeding round room, plus the two highest third-place scorers across all rooms, get into the playoff tier, in which the top twenty players are sorted into five rooms. The playoff tier proceeds as stated in the original plans, with the top scorer in each room moving up and the bottom scorer moving down. Any byes will result in one of the five rooms having only three players that round. The bottom seventeen players are sorted into the regular tier, consisting of a room of eight and a room of nine (there will probably be dropouts, so these rooms will likely be at least slightly smaller in actuality). There will be no exchange of players between the playoff tier and the regular tier, but the bottom two players in the upper regular tier room will move down each round, and the top two players in the lower regular tier room will move up.

EDIT: Format details.
Tommy
UVA '15
Harvard...let's say '23
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Four packets are in (out of eight). If yours isn't, please send me an email with an ETA and (if you have them) your answerlines.
Keep in mind that it's not really practical for us to even completely finish the seeding packet (which is almost entirely done) until all submissions are in, because of repeats etc.

[EDIT: Packets were sent out this morning]
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Stats are being updated live at this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

After eight rounds of relegation and promotion, the top scorers in the premier room are as follows:

1. John Lawrence 565
2. Matt Bollinger 460
3. Will Nediger 235
4. Tommy Casalaspi 190
5. Ike Jose 170
6. Evan Adams 125 (wins tiebreaker for more powers)
7. Auroni Gupta 115
8. Rob Carson 95

The next two places were determined by top scorers in the second room who did not make it to higher rooms:

9. Jordan Brownstein 265
10. Saajid Moyen 5

Ranks 11-16 were determined by top scorers in the third room who did not make it to higher rooms:

11. Andrew Hart 275
12. Matt Jackson 140
13. Chris Ray 65
14. Stephen Liu 40 (won tiebreaker for having more 10s/more negs)
15. Kurtis Droge 40 (lost above tiebreaker)
16. Jerry Vinokurov: 25

Ranks 17-20 were the top scorers in the bottom two rooms who did not make it to higher rooms (scoresheet for room 4, round 9 is missing, but doesn't affect standings):

17. Brendan Byrne 75+
18. Max Schindler 20
19. Sam Bailey 5
20. Mike Sorice 135 (all in the fifth room)

Ranks 21-36 were determined by points scored in the upper consolation room (irregular, because of people leaving, entering the tournament late and being promoted from second consolation bracket):

21. Chris Borglum 160
22. Richard Yu 155 (won tiebreaker with more 10s/negs)
23. Austin Listerund (lost above tiebreaker)
24. Ryan Westbrook 120 (won tiebreaker with more 10s/negs)
25. Matt Lafer 120 (lost above tiebreaker)
26. Siddhant Dogra 105
27. Shan Kothari 80
28. Charlie Dees 70
29. Ian Lenhoff 55 (won tiebreaker with more 10s/negs)
30. Andrew Wang 55 (lost above tiebreaker)
31. Mike Cheyne 55 (less powers than above two)
32.Seth Teitler 25
32. Sinan Ulusoy 20
33. Joe Hansen 10 (won tiebreaker with more 10s/negs)
34. Aaron Dos Remedios 10 (lost above tiebreaker)
35. Doug Graebner 0 (went 0/1/2)
36. Dylan Minark -15 (went 0/4/11)

Ranks 37-42 were determined by points scored in the second consolation room (also irregular because of people leaving and people entering the tournament late who were thrown here):

37. Billy Beyer 95
38. Gautam Kandlikar 60
39.Jay Misuk 25
40. Michael Hausinger 15
41. Benji Nguyen 10 (won tiebreaker for more 10s/negs)
42. Mike Bentley 10 (lost above tiebreaker)

All stats are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Masked Canadian History Bandit on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm not overly invested in this, seeing as we had to leave at 6:00 anyway, but I think this format was highly disappointing for the people who could not make the original playoffs (which was a pretty tough feat depending on your original room placements). Once you ended up in the two consolation rooms (after one packet!), it was sort of desultory; there was nothing to play for aside from not switching rooms, and there were like nine, ten people per room. I don't know if there's a way around this without more rooms, packets, or staffers, but it felt like the format shafted anyone who couldn't make the playoffs.

I was apparently misinterpreting the original format explanation as "everyone gets reseeded into four team shootout rooms, with people going up and down based on competition." I realize this is probably unfeasible, but I was unaware that the large group of people who could not make the five playoff rooms were basically cast aside.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Matt Weiner has the packets, so they should hopefully be up soon.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

I've talked about this the other organizers of this tournament and in hindsight there was no reason not to have a transfer between Room 5 and Room 6. That probably would have made those rounds more meaningful and I apologize for the oversight.

However, putting the bottom of the field into the bottom two rooms was the right call. Thanks to a huge chunk of available staffers having flights scheduled for Sunday evening, we were limited to seven rooms for all but the first round. Unless we turned people away, we were going to have more than four players per room. Given the very high difficulty of the set, it makes a lot of sense to concentrate the players at the bottom so that tossups are less likely to go dead. Other than not having the transfer between the bottom two brackets, I think we provided the best possible format we could while not turning people away.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, I see the argument for concentrating the field in those rooms; that wasn't that big a deal (there weren't many buzzer races, even with nine people). I agree there needed to be a way to get to room five if you were in room six, though.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Thanks to all involved for a very enjoyable tournament. This was one of my favorite side events that I've played, both due to the general high quality of the questions, and also (surprisingly, because I admit was quite skeptical) because I found the format itself to be quite fun. The variety of consistently strong opponents and the constant danger of being kicked down a room kept things very lively. And I felt that the fact that final standings were determined by cumulative scoring freed me to appreciate the different flavors of the packets and take from them what I could without worrying that any writer's idiosyncrasy would screw any particular player over.

Assuming that set-editing SCT doesn't swallow up absolutely all of my question-writing time after PADAWAN is finished, I would like to tentatively announce my interest in writing a CO Lit singles for next year. Given that there appears to be some dissatisfaction at a couple of aspects of this year's format (how few seeding rounds there were, the eight-person consolation rounds, etc.), I'm open to suggestions as to what format to employ next year, if I pursue this project.

(By the way, one small correction to the stats, in fairness to Auroni: he actually should be in 7th place and Rob in 8th. The stats show Rob as getting two 10's and zero negs on the Jerry packet, but he actually got two negs and zero 10's. The top room, alas, was not quite adequate to getting all 20 questions in Jerry's packet.)
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As far as I know, "Foster" and Joe Hansen are the same people.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Inconsequential correction here, but John Lawrence was given 110 points in Round 5 in Room 1 despite playing that round in Room 2.
Tanay