Kentucky 2014-15

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Kentucky 2014-15

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

This is a schedule that I'll try to keep updated as the year goes along. Like last year, it'll only contain the dates of in-state tournaments and national tournaments, but I'll eventually link to the calendars in neighboring states for teams who would like to attend out-of-state events.

9/6:
9/13:
9/20: Wildcat Challenge (Brownsville); Jr. FCAT (Flemingsburg)
9/27:

10/4:
10/11: Russell Academic Tournament (Russell); Meyzeek Middle School Invitational (Louisville)
10/18: WKU Hilltopper Invitational (Bowling Green)
10/25: UofL Arts and Sciences Challenge (Louisville); Campbell County Classic (Alexandria)

11/1: WKU Fall JV Tournament (Bowling Green)
11/8: Dunbar Middle School Tournament (Lexington); KAAC JV Challenge (Various Sites)
11/15: Ballard-Eastern Scholastic Invitational (Louisville)
11/22: UK Fall Championship (Lexington)
11/29: Thanksgiving

12/6:
12/13: Danville Invitational (Danville); Eastern Kentucky History Bee and Bowl (Paintsville)
12/20:
12/27:

1/3:
1/10: Fleming County Academic Tournament (Flemingsburg)
1/17:
1/24: KAAC District (Various Sites)
1/31: Western Kentucky History Bee and Bowl (Owensboro)

2/7:
2/14: KAAC Regional (Various Sites)
2/21:
2/28: NAQT Kentucky State Championship

3/7:
3/14: KAAC State (Louisville)
3/21:
3/28: Ballard-Eastern JV Invitational (Louisville)

4/4: Easter/Spring Break
4/11: UK Spring Championship (Lexington)
4/19: NASAT Tryouts (Lexington)
4/25: National History Bee and Bowl (Washington); NAQT SSNCT (Atlanta)

5/2:
5/9: NAQT MSNCT (Dallas)
5/16:
5/23: Middle School History Bee (Louisville)
5/30: NAQT HSNCT (Chicago)

6/6: PACE NSC (Washington)
6/13: HSAPQ NASAT (Columbus)

Bold indicates state and national championships
Italics indicate middle school events
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Re: Kentucky 2014-15

Post by The ChatSack Triple-Play »

I'll go ahead and make available the little I know, and incredibly tenuous HSNCT predictions.

Ballard: I really don't know much about Jack, and I'm not sure how well he's supported, if at all, seeing as how he played a fairly close tournament (ARTIST) solo last year. 4-6.

Campbell: I think they graduate Clayton, which wouldn't leave them with any established players, but they're always a KAAC powerhouse, so they're not to be counted out. 4-6 or 5-5.

Dunbar: It appears they'll have something of a rebuilding year, graduating Athena, who was probably the best single player in the state this year; the incredibly volatile Neelav; John, Valerie, Christian, etc. However, they have an incredible coach and no shortage of talent, and we'll see if Idrees' little sister Zainab, my ex-protege Adil, and a host of others can prove me wrong. 6-4 or 7-3.

Gatton: We retain Will Walters and Ben Guthrie from last year's team, and I'm told we're importing some NHBB stars and plenty of science talent. Also, it's not our first year as a team anymore, and if the ruling banning us from playing KAAC (even with our home schools) holds up, all bets are off. Watch out. 7-3 or 8-2.

Glasgow: How well Olivia's supporting cast develops remains to be seen, but she remains an absolute beast, capable of beating almost any team in the state on a good packet. They could use a good science/arts player, though. 6-4.

Johnson: I'm starting to really, really wish these guys played more quizbowl, because if not for Manual they would have an excellent claim to the quick recall title this year. It's mostly up to Trevor and whomever he drags behind him, and I'm not sure how much that'll be worth. 6-4 or maybe 7-3, if they show up.

Manual: Jerry Zhang is probably the best science player in the state now that I'm gone, and since they also retain Nivedita Khandkar and the never-negging Alice Liu, as well as a more-than-competent B-team, Manual looks to be the best team in Kentucky this year. Definitely watch out. 8-2.

Pikeville: Attending nationals seems to be a blue-moon event for them, but perhaps Ammad and company will branch out enough to make it happen twice in three years, especially if he keeps doing well at tournaments playing solo. 5-5 or 6-4.

Russell: Ali Wilt is putting up really good numbers at easier events, and I'm sure the rest of their squad is competent as well, but methinks they'll taper off quickly on anything much harder than NAQT IS. 5-5.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Since Alex alluded to it I'll throw out my thoughts on what's going on with Gatton students. My current interpretation is that KAAC has banned students who play for "collegiate academic teams" from their competitions, but the official line on Gatton students playing for their home schools (as long as they don't play for WKU) might still be intact. I do know that the popular support appears to be towards fully banning Gatton students, and I fully expect that to happen eventually.

So my thoughts on this are pretty simple: Just because some coaches got upset is no good reason to come up with a bizarre rule targeting students who play for WKU. It goes hand in hand with the repeated (though not direct) complaints about Gatton's existence as a team at pyramidal tournaments; it seems there is a constituency in Kentucky that thinks that Gatton students shouldn't be allowed to compete with either their new school or their home school. This is not how things are done in other places with statewide magnets, will not happen in tournaments anywhere using current NAQT eligibility rules, and shouldn't be happening at any statewide "championship" competition.

For what's it's worth, we've got some players who are perfectly content in shedding their KAAC eligibility because they don't like bad quizbowl. Others will probably still compete for their home school, they just won't play for WKU. Gatton's quizbowl team will still exist unless the school decides otherwise, all Gatton students are still certainly welcome to join WKU's team, and I'm going to personally stop really caring what people do in KAAC. We're not allowed to join the organization, so it's none of my business how it operates.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I'll eventually get around to discussing the actually important things that will be happening in Kentucky this year.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Nick, could you add our A & S Academic Challenge to 10/4/14
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

You can probably go ahead and cross off 3/14 (as well as 3/15 and 3/16) as being KAAC state.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

WKU's Hosting Schedule for 2014-15:

October 18: WKU Hilltopper Invitational (This will be a mirror of a regular difficulty housewrite and open to all teams)
November 1: WKU Fall JV Tournament (This will be a mirror of a novice level set and open to middle school teams and JV high school teams)
February 28: ARTIST (This will be a regular difficulty tournament open to all teams)

We're also likely to mirror a couple college tournaments next year as well, which are usually open to high school teams looking for a challenge.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

UK will plan on hosting our Spring Championship on March 28.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Post by Helmuth von Moltke »

Book hand wrote:
Johnson: I'm starting to really, really wish these guys played more quizbowl, because if not for Manual they would have an excellent claim to the quick recall title this year. It's mostly up to Trevor and whomever he drags behind him, and I'm not sure how much that'll be worth. 6-4 or maybe 7-3, if they show up.
For what it's worth, I'm transferring to Piarist for next season.
Last edited by Helmuth von Moltke on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Book hand wrote:if they show up.
And I'd go ahead and stake my life that Johnson Central will not show up to NSC or HSNCT and that the only "National tournament" they might go to would be NAC, which their middle school attends annually.

From spending two years in Johnson Central's program, it's so anti-quizbowl that it's ridiculous. The reason they don't go to competitions that use pyramidal style questions is because they believe playing that format will slow the team down for KAAC, and after KAAC State is done, they don't want to do anything at all.

From Middle School through my sophomore year, we qualified for NHBB four times and didn't go once, and obviously never attended NSC, HSNCT or even NAQT State.

I think they'll probably carpool with the Middle School to NAC next season, or maybe the following one, because :chip: peddles similar basic stock clues and whatnot that KAAC does, and Johnson Central has picked up enough "buzz words" to maybe get a top finish at one of Chip's venues, and then proclaiming that they've won a National Championship.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Hey, at least you won't have to do the whole suit-and-overblown-eagle-tie routine ever again.

I hope you can blaze some sort of path at Piarist, but speaking as someone educated mostly at really small schools, I don't know how likely that is, especially in eastern KY, especially especially if they still have an affinity for those awful, awful league questions (What's a female manatee called?) I do know they've been going places lately, but isn't Subhash a rising senior?
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Thank God I won't have to wear that ridiculous ensemble ever again. If I have to wear a polo or something to a competition, it's going to be a hell of a lot better than the 73 layers (plus eagle tie) I had to wear at JC.

Subhash is a great competitor and we've been friends for years, so I expect us to link up well. We should be pretty decent as a team, I hope, and Subhash really really deserves any help he can get, especially with this being his last season.

And another point: Why can't EKAC just cease? Those questions really aren't fit for anyone outside of middle school and it's the epitome of a poorly managed league. The EKAC tournament never being played (not to say I wanted to play it) boils down to the fact that it got postponed until after KAAC State, proving those over the league only care about any such "glory" their team can achieve from KAAC and not the actual players or for the love of the game.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

A huge obstacle to progress at this point are the league structures, which usually have a majority of teams who want nothing more than what little the leagues offer. That's usually about 12 games a year, perhaps a league tournament between November and February, and all of it being played on horrible questions. Schools which try to reform their leagues have met with a large deal of opposition in recent years, mainly because about 50 schools play real quizbowl and 200 don't know anything better than what they already have and fear change.

If we're ever going to change Kentucky to a state where pyramidal quizbowl is the only game in town, moving a few more leagues toward pyramidal questions would be a huge step in the right direction.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

NickConderWKU wrote:A huge obstacle to progress at this point are the league structures, which usually have a majority of teams who want nothing more than what little the leagues offer. That's usually about 12 games a year, perhaps a league tournament between November and February, and all of it being played on horrible questions. Schools which try to reform their leagues have met with a large deal of opposition in recent years, mainly because about 50 schools play real quizbowl and 200 don't know anything better than what they already have and fear change.

If we're ever going to change Kentucky to a state where pyramidal quizbowl is the only game in town, moving a few more leagues toward pyramidal questions would be a huge step in the right direction.
EKAC is undoubtedly going to be the league with the most opposition to this, just given those who govern the league.

Those in charge of EKAC hold KAAC and other assorted Chipbowl in a higher respect than good, pyramidal quizbowl because they either hold positions in the hierarchy of KAAC or they think quizbowl is "hard" compared to quick recall, and to that, I shed a single tear.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The best thing to do is spend more time promoting good quiz bowl and less worrying about what could happen with other people. I hope Piarist is able to attend tournaments this year - you all should consider going into WV and western VA as well.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Piarist is also within driving distance of many Ohio tournaments.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

I'm not sure of the kind of budget the team is allotted at Piarist, but I'll advocate for us to go to as many good tournaments as we can.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

I do know, however, that Piarist is relocating buildings sometime in the next year and that's supposed to cost a pretty hefty sum with construction and whatnot, so it might not leave the quizbowl team with much.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:The best thing to do is spend more time promoting good quiz bowl and less worrying about what could happen with other people. I hope Piarist is able to attend tournaments this year - you all should consider going into WV and western VA as well.
Sniper, No Sniping! wrote:Piarist is also within driving distance of many Ohio tournaments.
For "Piarist", read any eastern KY school, especially Pikeville. Speaking of which, this very well may be the beginning of the end of a (rather short) era for them, as my sources indicate that their coach Mr. Stewart may retire after Ammad and Noor graduate this year. In addition, there is an ineffable clause in their handbook that requires them to take a bus everywhere, effectively making most tournaments cost at least two hotel rooms and a full tank of diesel fuel. In my tenure there, we won both an Ernie Anderson TV tournament in Ohio and a local tournament full of one-liners that recycled just about everything specifically to make ends meet between KAAC and our NSC appearance two years ago.

I really hope they're able to make it to Atlanta this year; everyone there deserves it.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

So, I'm having complications with Piarist, so I'm not sure where I'm going to be.

The most likely option at this point is Johnson Central. I'll post on here as soon as I know.

(Update: Turns out I am going to be at Piarist! Yay for certainty!)
Last edited by Helmuth von Moltke on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
zainyk98
Lulu

Post by zainyk98 »

Dunbar will be having their middle school tournament on November 8th.
Zainab Kahloon
Paul Laurence Dunbar '16
sticedw
Lulu

Post by sticedw »

Please move the Wildcat Challenge from 9/13 to 9/20. We requested this date in April from NAQT. I'm sorry that Jr. FCAT is the same day using the same set. Hopefully, both will have full fields. We hope to have teams from KY, AL, and TN again this year.
Derek Stice
Academic Coach
Edmonson County High School
220 Wildcat Way
Brownsville, KY 42210
270-597-2151
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Considering that there's four middle school events all year, surely one of those two tournaments can find a different date.
Fred Morlan
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

KQBA has submitted a bid for NAQT State, to be hosted on February 28 at WKU. Barring another bid being submitted and beating the KQBA proposal, I expect that will happen.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I've moved Ballard-Eastern's JV Tournament to March 28 at their request. I think Fred mentioned perhaps moving UK Spring from that date due to ICT, but I'm leaving it there for now until I find out if/when that will happen.

I've also added a WKU tournament to the calendar for May 2. Expect this to be a successor to the CHAT/ARTIST events of the past, but more details will be posted later this fall. This might also be a good time to mention that WKU is hosting a mirror of DEES on December 6, so if one of the top high school teams are looking for an incredible challenge this fall, our college events are usually open to high school teams as well.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

University of Kentucky Spring is being moved to January 17th.
Fred Morlan
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Despite claiming the date and question set on April 11 with announcements on this board and the middle school board (and three rounds of emails to HS and MS coaches) the Jr. FCAT currently only has a field of four teams. IF we don't get to at least eight teams by next Friday we will have to look at cancellation. We had hoped that an early date claim could avoid conflicts in scheduling and give teams plenty of time to prepare.

It is extremely unlikely that we will be able to reschedule due to: committments on the part of our volunteer staff, facilities scheduling, and team obligations to other events.

If you anyone is still looking for a good early season tournament for their middle school teams please contact [email protected] as soon as possible.

We have run an excellent high school tournament for several years, and are hoping to establish a strong event for the middle school circuit as well.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

An early field update for the 2015 FCAT (January 10).

Ashland x2
Fleming Co. x2
Lafayette x2
Johnson Central 1+
Campbell Co. x3
Dunbar x2

The tournament is still several months away but it looks like we're shaping up to have another great field.

As usual we will have varsity and "B" divisions. We have a soft cap of 32 teams (which we reached last year).

Interested teams should contact [email protected] We plan to send formal entry forms to coaches that have participated in the past by the end of September.
wareagle
Lulu

Post by wareagle »

Teams from Kentucky are welcome to attend a Southeast region mirror of the Harvard Fall Tournament at Marist School on 11/15.

Additional information can be found here,

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16396.
Kevin Mullally
Marist School
Academic Team Head Coach
Rahul0774
Lulu

Post by Rahul0774 »

As a Piarist Alum, it would bring me no greater pleasure than to see my former high school team further branch out in to the realm of "good" quizbowl. My biggest regret in high school was the fact that I only discovered "good quizbowl" in the latter half of my career. By that I mean, we attended HSBB Nationals my Junior and Senior years. Contrary to the valid opinions of some, my team rather enjoyed the History Bowl tournament. However, I quickly pegged myself as a specialist in history and lost any interest of wading out into the untested waters(at least for me and my team) of the greater national circuit.

Piarist does have talent. The problem is trying to keep that talent engaged. We share our KAAC Region with both Pikeville and Johnson Central. In my four years at Piarist, we never came close to beating either of them. However, I have heard things are looking up (I think we might have only lost to JC by two points a few years ago at a KAAC tournament, correct me if I am mistaken), but losing year after year to the same foes does a great deal of damage to the feeble psyche of a high school student (overtly melancholic and terribly biased on my part).

Trevor, I do hope that you and Subhash are able to coalesce well with one another and have an outstanding year. I truly believe that you can. Also, don't be a stranger to any of our tournaments at the University of Kentucky either. I always enjoy seeing my old high school friends. Try your best to corral the younger students to join as well. I know that we have a lot of talented middle schoolers.

Addendum: We did attend the woefully unorganized Vanderbilt ABC tournament in the fall of 2010. I am by no means saying that the current iterations of that tournament are by any means "bad". However, the tournament I attended was terrible.
Rahul Annabathula
The Piarist School '12
University of Kentucky '16
President, UK Quizbowl
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Rahul0774 wrote:As a Piarist Alum, it would bring me no greater pleasure than to see my former high school team further branch out in to the realm of "good" quizbowl. My biggest regret in high school was the fact that I only discovered "good quizbowl" in the latter half of my career. By that I mean, we attended HSBB Nationals my Junior and Senior years. Contrary to the valid opinions of some, my team rather enjoyed the History Bowl tournament. However, I quickly pegged myself as a specialist in history and lost any interest of wading out into the untested waters(at least for me and my team) of the greater national circuit.

Piarist does have talent. The problem is trying to keep that talent engaged. We share our KAAC Region with both Pikeville and Johnson Central. In my four years at Piarist, we never came close to beating either of them. However, I have heard things are looking up (I think we might have only lost to JC by two points a few years ago at a KAAC tournament, correct me if I am mistaken), but losing year after year to the same foes does a great deal of damage to the feeble psyche of a high school student (overtly melancholic and terribly biased on my part).

Trevor, I do hope that you and Subhash are able to coalesce well with one another and have an outstanding year. I truly believe that you can. Also, don't be a stranger to any of our tournaments at the University of Kentucky either. I always enjoy seeing my old high school friends. Try your best to corral the younger students to join as well. I know that we have a lot of talented middle schoolers.

Addendum: We did attend the woefully unorganized Vanderbilt ABC tournament in the fall of 2010. I am by no means saying that the current iterations of that tournament are by any means "bad". However, the tournament I attended was terrible.
Rahul, the game you're thinking of was KAAC District Finals two years ago. The score was 31-30 (I believe) and I actually won the match for Johnson Central on a bounce-back bonus on Erik Erikson.

Subhash and I have meshed very well so far, and our Lit player, Tori, is also very underrated. If she reaches her potential, she could be among the top tier of Lit competitors in the state by the end of the season. We'll be at Ezell-Harding this weekend to field the first line-up which Subhash has dubbed the "New Era" and I'm pretty eager to see how we perform, and I'll predict that we'll put up some good stats.

As far as other tournaments go, we've been talking about attending Dorman's January tournament and at least one at UK, but I'm unsure beyond that.

As far as ABC XL goes, that was actually my first exposure to quizbowl, and the only tournament I ever got to attend with Brad Cantrell, who is severely underrated in the discussion of great Kentucky players.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

So Manual A won at Ezell, and Glasgow made the semis after beating us in a 405-395 heartbreaker. Dunbar and Ballard were also quarterfinalists. Great job, all.

In particular, I'd like to note that Gatton A had almost 2,100 points in the prelims, good for the 3 seed, and only five behind Sidney. Manual A, however, had over 2,600 (!), which means they were averaging 520 PPG on only 15 questions. Even with powers and bouncebacks, that's incredible.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

Amethyst
Lulu

Post by Amethyst »

Chattahoochee would like to invite teams in Kentucky to attend our annual tournament, the CATT! The questions this year will be a mirror of the UMD set produced by the University of Maryland. As usual, our tournament will be held on the 2nd Saturday in December (12/13/2014) at Chattahoochee's campus in Johns Creek (5230 Taylor Road, 30022). Please refer to our post in the tournament announcement thread for more details and registration: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16383

Hope to see you there!
Amith Punyala
Chattahoochee High School 2011-2015
Cornell University 2015-2019
WUSTL 2021-2029 (bruh)
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Amethyst wrote:Chattahoochee would like to invite teams in Kentucky to attend our annual tournament, the CATT! The questions this year will be a mirror of the UMD set produced by the University of Maryland. As usual, our tournament will be held on the 2nd Saturday in December (12/13/2014) at Chattahoochee's campus in Johns Creek (5230 Taylor Road, 30022). Please refer to our post in the tournament announcement thread for more details and registration: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16383

Hope to see you there!
Just so nobody attempts to play both tournaments, I'll point out that WKU is hosting a mirror of the UMD set on October 18.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance will be hosting the Kentucky NAQT State Championship on February 28, 2015 at WKU. To register, please email [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

The 16th Annual Fleming County Academic Tournament is less than a month away. Currently the field is:

Fleming x2
Campbell Co. x2
Ashland x2
Lafayette x2
Johnson Central x2
Dunbar x3
Daviess Co. x2
Woodford Co. x3
Bath Co. x1
West Jessamine x2
Bourbon Co. x1
Danville x2
Bishop Brossart x1

The FCAT is seeking Goldenrod Cup affiliation, and will again seek PACE affiliation as well.

Due to space concerns we will cap the field at 32 teams. Thus with a couple of regulars that haven't yet confirmed attendance plans the sooner interested parties enter the better.

One point of note. Only teams in the varsity division will be eligible for points toward the Goldenrod Cup or PACE attendance.

Updates as the field fills out.
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

What a difference one weekend makes!!!

The field is now at 32 teams from 17 schools. As of this morning here's the updated FCAT field:

Fleming Co. x2
Campbell Co. x2
Ashland x2
Lafayette x2
Johnson Central x2
Dunbar x3
Daviess Co. x1
Woodford Co. x3
Bath Co. x2
West Jessamine x2
Bourbon Co. x2
Danville x1
Bishop Brossart x1 (maybe 2)
Lawrence Co. x1 (maybe 2)
Simon Kenton x1
Russell x3
Paintsville (probably 2)

we currently appear to have reached cap, but if anyone is interested please let me know and I'll see if there's any way to work you in (much will depend on how much help we can get).
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

UK would like to reserve April 11 for a tenative reschedule date for UK Spring.
Fred Morlan
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Congratulations to Johnson Central, champion of the 17th Annual Fleming County Academic Tournament. Johnson Central defeated Russell in the championship game. By finishing in the top 15% of the field Johnson and Russell will also secure the FCAT's two PACE berths.

Overall order of finish for the varsity division:
1. Johnson Central
2. Russell "A"
3. Dunbar
3. Daviess Co.
5. Simon Kenton
5. West Jessamine
7. Campbell Co.
7. Russell "B"
9. Woodford Co.
10. Lafayette
11. Danville
12.Ashland
13. Bishop Brossart
14. Fleming Co.
15. Bourbon Co.
16. Bath Co.

Varsity division played 3 match preliminary pools (of four teams). These were then reseeded with the top two teams from each prelim pool moving into two championship pools. Top finishers from the two championship pools played the round seven championship game. We used modified HSAPQ VHSL sets. 20 toss up halves with single part bonuses.

"B" division was pretty much the same thing. Final standings from the "B" division.
1. Dunbar
2. Johnson Central
3. Woodford Co. "A"
4. Campbell Co. "A"
5. Woodford Co. "B"
6. Ashland
7. West Jessamine
8. Russell
9. Lafayette
10. Campbell Co. "B"
11. Russell "B"
12. Bourbon Co.
13. Fleming Co.
14. Bath Co.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We have 13 spots left in the NAQT Kentucky State Championship tournament, which will be hosted by the Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance at WKU on February 28. Teams are encouraged to register as soon as possible, with more information about the tournament located here. To register, please email [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

WKU is hosting a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament on May 2, in lieu of a late-spring high school tournament. High school teams attending national tournaments are encouraged to register anyway, as this set is not quite collegiate regular difficulty and the levels of questions and competitions are usually good preparation for nationals.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

Posted this in the middle school forum thread, but posting it here as well. Middle school state is being postponed due to Snowpocalypse '15. We'll be able to confirm an alternate date once schools are back open to check the facilities calendar.

Also, Nick, to the best of my knowledge, Glasgow MS has cancelled their 3/21 tournament due to conflicts, so you can take that off the list.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Vissi d'arte wrote:Posted this in the middle school forum thread, but posting it here as well. Middle school state is being postponed due to Snowpocalypse '15. We'll be able to confirm an alternate date once schools are back open to check the facilities calendar.

Also, Nick, to the best of my knowledge, Glasgow MS has cancelled their 3/21 tournament due to conflicts, so you can take that off the list.
I've noted these changes. We should have information about MS State updated by next week, as Jason noted.

The High School NAQT State Championship is still currently scheduled to run as planned on February 28. Email me at [email protected] if you'd like to claim one of the spots for that field. In addition to this, WKU is hosting a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament on May 2. This is a college tournament, but high school teams looking to prepare for nationals should note they are likely to face similar difficulty and competition at our MUT mirror as they will at Nationals, and as such it will be a prime opportunity to prepare. You can also register for that by emailing our club account.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Does anyone know anything about the Eastern Kentucky History Bowl and Bee, which has disappeared from the map on the website?
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
TylerReid
Lulu

Post by TylerReid »

We are currently sitting at 12 teams out of 36 spots for the University of Kentucky Spring Championship on April 11th, so there is still plenty of room for anyone interested in attending.

Also, Kentucky's NASAT tryouts will be held at the University of Kentucky on Sunday, April 19th; it would be great if we could add that to the schedule.
Tyler Reid
Glasgow High School 2009-2013
University of Kentucky 2013-2018
Kentucky Quiz Bowl Alliance Board Member
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

The finals at KAAC State is between Russell and Glasgow with Russell defeating Manual and Glasgow beating Johnson Central.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

It's early but Fleming County High School is announcing the date for the 18th Annual FCAT.

The Fleming County Academic Tournament will be held on January 9th, 2016. More details to follow as things are finalized.

We don't plan any major changes. Thus we hope to use HSAPQ questions again, with similar format and fee structure.

thanks