VCU Open mirror at uWaterloo (9th August)

Old college threads.
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

VCU Open mirror at uWaterloo (9th August)

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

uWaterloo is pleased to welcome teams from wherever to attend an open mirror of VCU Open (#redundant) on the 9th of August (original announcement here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16013)

The fee structure is as follows :

Team Base Fee : $120
Buzzer discount : $10
(Proficient) Reader discount : $30
Shorthanded team discount : $20 per missing player

A mirror of Texas QuizBowl Camp Tournament (original announcement here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16037) will be happening the next day on Sunday, the 10th of August.

The field is capped at 9 teams (since we have 4 rooms booked), although be aware we're expecting a small number of teams at this tournament. The tournament HQ will be MC 4020 (that's the 4th floor of the hideous Math and Computer science building).

I will not be at this tournament myself, but a team of various members of the Waterloo Club, past and present, will be ensuring the quality of the tournament. This includes Aaron Dos Remedios, KiraKiraKira28, Bri Bri McNamara, etc., working under Huma Zafar's TDing.

And finally, if there are side-events of any nature you would like to see happen at this tournament, indicate here and we'll try to make them happen so long as they don't involve the late Carly Rae Jensen.

To register, post here!
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
adosreme
Rikku

Re: VCU Open mirror at uWaterloo (9th August)

Post by adosreme »

Toronto will be sending at least one team to this.

Edit: Toronto is currently looking to send 2 teams, some of whose players actually attend(ed) Waterloo. We will let you know if this changes.
Last edited by adosreme on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Imaginary Landscapes II, Tricon 2.5, DUST as side events?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

As always, I am interested, either to play or help out. On a side note, what is the expected difficulty?
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Peter13 wrote:As always, I am interested, either to play or help out. On a side note, what is the expected difficulty?
Nationals minus, or "nationals with restraint."
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

Sign-up, no idea who I'm playing with yet.
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:Imaginary Landscapes II, Tricon 2.5, DUST as side events?
I would play any and all of these side events.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

adosreme wrote:
Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:Imaginary Landscapes II, Tricon 2.5, DUST as side events?
Imaginary Landscapes is the best thing that's ever happened to quizbowl. 20/10 would play again.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Rikku

adosreme wrote:
What a surprise.
the third garrideb
Wakka

Post by the third garrideb »

Looking for teammates for the main event.
Huma Zafar
University of Waterloo alumna
the third garrideb
Wakka

If we do side events, I would suggest picking at most 2 out of the 3. Besides that, I have no special preference as to what gets played.
Huma Zafar
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

the third garrideb wrote:
If we do side events, I would suggest picking at most 2 out of the 3. Besides that, I have no special preference as to what gets played.
If the number of side events is limited, then I am much more excited about Imaginary Landscapes and DUST than I am about Tricon.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Imma play, not sure whom with though at this point. I've had a few offers already, but any expressions of interest should be directed to my facebook or a pm.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Senator_Jay wrote:Imma play, not sure whom with though at this point. I've had a few offers already, but any expressions of interest should be directed to my facebook or a pm.
Jay will be announcing which team he has chosen to play for in a one-hour primetime TV special on QBPN.
Aaron Dos Remedios
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Jay is taking his talents to South Waterloo and will be playing with moi. So indirectly, this is my registration too.
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

McGill is officially registering as a team consisting of Drake, Drake, So, and Su.
Joe Su, OCT
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Also, I'm interested in Imaginary Landscapes the most, and my teammates would appreciate DUST. I would love to see these side tournaments run like Gorilla Lit.
Joe Su, OCT
M_Roffey
Lulu

Post by M_Roffey »

What time will this be starting at? A few people from Western are interested, but want to know what bus or train they'll have to take and all that.
Matthew Roffey
University of Western Ontario
the third garrideb
Wakka

M_Roffey wrote:What time will this be starting at? A few people from Western are interested, but want to know what bus or train they'll have to take and all that.
We'll be starting at 9, so players should aim to arrive by 8:30.
Huma Zafar
Rikku

So as a field update, we currently have registered teams as :

Toronto A
Toronto B
McGill
Jay / Jordan
Western
Colonel By

And a ghost team that may return in a totally different form and possess us :

Patrick Liao et al.

As mentioned in the OP, the field is capped at 9 teams. We currently only have 3 confirmed readers, so <= 7 teams works fine. There are tentative people who can serve as a 4th reader if required, but this will only be clear once the unconfirmed teams officially register.

So figure things out and confirm registrations ASAP!
Last edited by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Due to the difficulty of the tournament and how much dead time there will be where English words will be just flowing over my head, I'm willing to free up the control room person so he/she can staff and I do stats as I play. I'm less keen to doing this for Sunday, though.
Joe Su, OCT
Rikku

pandabear555 wrote:Due to the difficulty of the tournament and how much dead time there will be where English words will be just flowing over my head, I'm willing to free up the control room person so he/she can staff and I do stats as I play. I'm less keen to doing this for Sunday, though.
Joke's on you, the stats person (ADR) was already gonna be doing them while playing. That said, he might still take you up on it, since he's gonna be doing the same on Sunday too.
M_Roffey
Lulu

Post by M_Roffey »

Alright, Western will be sending one team.
Matthew Roffey
University of Western Ontario
Rikku

Field updated to reflect Western's attendance and Beeby being absorbed into either of the Toronto teams.

EDIT: Colonel By has registered their team too.
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

How many free agents are showing up to this event/aren't on a team yet?

EDIT: My team has been tentatively collapsed to fill out the Colonel By team and the Jordan Palmer team. Now we have six teams and any free agents can make a seventh team.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Could we, as Matt Jackson posted in the other thread, have a schedule for the weekend as in when each tournament is slated to begin? I want to have a good sense of when everything is so I can plan other things accordingly and tell the people who I'm staying with these details so they know when I show up. Also, just a warning, the last Canadian event with two side events ended at 11:30. If there's no significant overlap between the DUST and Landscapes fields, could there possibly be two simultaneous shootouts going on (or at least play some rounds at the same time to save some time).

Apparently McGill is showing up both days and we can play together, or we can make new friends by playing with new people. I second Patrick's idea of drafting, or some sort of team formation event before the tournaments. But for the sake of tournament organization, we're going to send four players: Derek, Two Drakes, and Myself.

I think there should be a google doc set up to sign up for all five events where players sign up.
Joe Su, OCT
the third garrideb
Wakka

pandabear555 wrote:Also, just a warning, the last Canadian event with two side events ended at 11:30. If there's no significant overlap between the DUST and Landscapes fields, could there possibly be two simultaneous shootouts going on (or at least play some rounds at the same time to save some time).
Well, we had multiple side events at our KABO mirror a couple of years ago, and that ended at a decent time. If I remember correctly, we did run all three side events simultaneously, so that's probably a good suggestion for this Saturday as well.

As for timelines, each day should be starting at 9:00, and we should hopefully end the main event by 5:00. Which would mean the Saturday side events would start around 5:30 at the latest. If we do simultaneous Gorilla Lit-style shootouts, we should be done in 2-3 hours.
pandabear555 wrote: I think there should be a google doc set up to sign up for all five events where players sign up.
Only four events (VCUO, DUST, IL2, Texas QB), for which a spreadsheet has been created here.
Huma Zafar
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

pandabear555 wrote:If there's no significant overlap between the DUST and Landscapes fields, could there possibly be two simultaneous shootouts going on (or at least play some rounds at the same time to save some time).
I really want to play both side events...I was planning to run one on Saturday after VCUO and the other on Sunday after Texas QB Camp. Is this a big problem for you guys having to return home? Also note that we will need volunteers to staff the side events since I'm not sure how many of the moderators can stay after the tournament is over.
pandabear555 wrote:I second Patrick's idea of drafting, or some sort of team formation event before the tournaments. But for the sake of tournament organization, we're going to send four players: Derek, Two Drakes, and Myself.
Toronto is currently attempting to arrange our six players onto two teams. We don't know if there will be additional players. (also, what is a tournament draft? Is it exactly what it sounds like i.e. a schoolyard pick'em?)
Aaron Dos Remedios
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

I have mixed feelings about the draft; of course it's nice to meet new people, but it can lead to some wonky teams (e.g. 4 players with significant overlap in history knowledge), and can be poorly organized. Team roster-building is (or at least should be) very meticulous and strategic, and not (or at least, should not) be a random assortment like an all-star team. In addition, a lot of teams composed mainly/entirely of players from the same school want to test and practice how they play as a unit.

It appears that myself, Cameron Amini, Di Xiao, and Andrej Vukovic are playing as a team (tentatively, nothing 100% confirmed yet), which I have arbitrarily decided to name the Colonel By-Lisgar Temporary Friendship alliance. We will think of a better name later.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
the third garrideb
Wakka

adosreme wrote:
pandabear555 wrote:If there's no significant overlap between the DUST and Landscapes fields, could there possibly be two simultaneous shootouts going on (or at least play some rounds at the same time to save some time).
I really want to play both side events...I was planning to run one on Saturday after VCUO and the other on Sunday after Texas QB Camp. Is this a big problem for you guys having to return home? Also note that we will need volunteers to staff the side events since I'm not sure how many of the moderators can stay after the tournament is over.
The other thing we could do (as we did at KABO) is order lunch and run (part of) one of the events over lunch, finish the remaining rounds after the main event, then do the second side event. I'd rather avoid side events on Sunday.
Huma Zafar
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Theodore wrote:I have mixed feelings about the draft; of course it's nice to meet new people, but it can lead to some wonky teams (e.g. 4 players with significant overlap in history knowledge), and can be poorly organized. Team roster-building is (or at least should be) very meticulous and strategic, and not (or at least, should not) be a random assortment like an all-star team. In addition, a lot of teams composed mainly/entirely of players from the same school want to test and practice how they play as a unit.

It appears that myself, Cameron Amini, Di Xiao, and Andrej Vukovic are playing as a team (tentatively, nothing 100% confirmed yet), which I have arbitrarily decided to name the Colonel By-Lisgar Temporary Friendship alliance. We will think of a better name later.
I agree with Ted on the drafting thing. It's nice to know what your team will be before the tournament starts.

Edit:
the third garrideb wrote:The other thing we could do (as we did at KABO) is order lunch and run (part of) one of the events over lunch, finish the remaining rounds after the main event, then do the second side event. I'd rather avoid side events on Sunday.
I really like that idea, actually.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

While I am staffing the main event on Saturday, I would prefer to play DUST and would also prefer that it run on Saturday, as I cannot attend Sunday.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Rumor has it that Jordan, Jay, Almas, and Patrick are forming a superteam for Saturday. I'll staff DUST if there's a shortage, but I'm not that good at reading. I'm also not good at Trash.

I think we should try some Tricon if there's time (maybe read a packet or two for fun during lunches). I heard VCU's packet was Interesting.

I wasn't thinking fully random teams, but something choosy enough with subject areas. I think it makes more sense for VCU Open to have casual teams as TQBA to have real teams as practice for next season. For this circuit at least, we definitely aren't at a practicing-for-ACF-Nats stage yet. If we were playing our A team lineup this weekend (Sam's in Europe), I definitely would rather have the four of us play at TQBA and have open teams for VCU Open.
Joe Su, OCT
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

pandabear555 wrote:Rumor has it that Jordan, Jay, Almas, and Patrick are forming a superteam for Saturday.
It's not unprecedented. Jordan seems to have a specific inclination for forming superteams at open tournaments.
pandabear555 wrote:I think we should try some Tricon if there's time (maybe read a packet or two for fun during lunches). I heard VCU's packet was Interesting.

I disagree that we should do this. Two side events are already going to take us pretty late and partially running one during lunch is a way to allow us to end earlier, not jam more side events into an already packed schedule.
pandabear555 wrote:I think it makes more sense for VCU Open to have casual teams as TQBA to have real teams as practice for next season...If we were playing our A team lineup this weekend (Sam's in Europe), I definitely would rather have the four of us play at TQBA and have open teams for VCU Open.
If you're going to run your A-team, I think it makes more sense to do so for the harder tournament and have casual teams for the easier tournament.
pandabear555 wrote:...For this circuit at least, we definitely aren't at a practicing-for-ACF-Nats stage yet...
I think we have many decent teams in this circuit. Maybe we're not up to par with American teams, but you have to start somewhere. If you want to get there, you can't be scared to throw your best at hard questions.
Aaron Dos Remedios
the third garrideb
Wakka

adosreme wrote:
pandabear555 wrote:I think we should try some Tricon if there's time (maybe read a packet or two for fun during lunches). I heard VCU's packet was Interesting.

I disagree that we should do this. Two side events are already going to take us pretty late and partially running one during lunch is a way to allow us to end earlier, not jam more side events into an already packed schedule.
We could do it during the Sunday lunch, if people are inclined.
Huma Zafar
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

the third garrideb wrote:
adosreme wrote:

We could do it during the Sunday lunch, if people are inclined.
That's also a good idea.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Rikku

Theodore wrote:It appears that myself, Cameron Amini, Di Xiao, and Andrej Vukovic are playing as a team (tentatively, nothing 100% confirmed yet), which I have arbitrarily decided to name the Colonel By-Lisgar Temporary Friendship alliance. We will think of a better name later.
I believe the last time a unification on this scale was attempted, it led to this.
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Looking forward to this weekend, whatever it is at this point.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
the third garrideb
Wakka

Okay, so this is what's happening this weekend:

Saturday
We'll be starting at 9:00, so please get there by 8:30. Please don't be late.

We will do a full round robin of VCUO followed by playoffs and finals if needed. Lunch will happen around 12/12:30 and will be 45 minutes. (We won't be organizing anything over lunch, but this should be enough time to get food from the plaza.) We will hopefully be done with VCUO by 5.

After the main event, we will definitely be running DUST, but this may be preceded by IL2 if we finish VCUO early enough. The aim is to start DUST by 6:30/7 at latest, so we should be done the day by 9/9:30.

Sunday
We'll again be starting at 9:00. Again, please arrive in the MC by 8:30.

We will do a single/double round robin, followed by playoffs+finals, depending on how many/few teams sign up. Again, we'll have a 45-minute lunch break around 12/12:30. If we didn't get to IL2 on Saturday, we'll run it after Texas QB on Sunday.

Formats and Fees
IL2 will be run as singles shootouts and DUST will be run either as doubles or two separate shootout rooms, depending on what staff availability we end up having. Fees for the main events are as per the announcement threads. Fees for side events will be $10 each.

If you have any questions or concerns, please post here or send me a message. Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!
Huma Zafar
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

One should always be preparing for future tournaments, especially when, as is the case of ACF Nationals, more preparation is (always) needed.

A draft is like, pretty much the most half-assed way of making new friends (teams can be formed with "new friends" before a tournament, and there's always some time to hang out if teams want, especially at a 2-day tournament...unfortunately, many teams do not want, which limits making new friends). I strongly oppose the draft (WWI, Vietnam War, Iraq, VCUO, the movie "Draft Day," etc.).

I would post a defence of superteams except that it's superfluous when the tournament has "Open" in it.

Looking fwd to seeing y'all bright and early on Saturday.

adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

minusfive wrote:I would post a defence of superteams except that it's superfluous when the tournament has "Open" in it.
Not to turn this into a debate on superteams, but open tournament or not, "I care about winning so I'm going to (edit: assemble) a team that comprises the strongest individual players in the field to ensure that it happens" seems pretty reasonable to me.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

Andrej is now unfortunately unable to come to this tournament; we're looking for a free agent to play with myself, Cameron, and Di for both this and the Texas tournament Sunday.

EDIT: We have acquired Jesse Wang for Sunday, but still require 1 teammate for VCU Open.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

This happened. In a double round robin, the team consisting of Rein, Huma, Peter Liu and myself went 9-1, gaining the advantage in a final against the team of Jordan, Jay, Patrick and Andrew Almas, who went 8-2. Jordan's team reverted the advantage, winning both games of the final to win the tournament.

Following that, DUST took place - the McGill team (sans Joe Su, who kindly staffed) won.

Thanks to everyone for running things today, see you again in the morning.
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Stats! (I think I lost the finals stats sheets, but the rest are definitely here)

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... und_robin/
Aaron Dos Remedios
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Here are the stats for the DUST Mirror. The McGill Team (Joe Sioux) and Patrick/Brian/Grace/Di were top two after the round robin, and everyone agreed to play a best of 3 final for the top two and a round robin for the bottom four. The most wonderfully named Joe Sioux team won.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2313/
Joe Su, OCT
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

A big thank you to everyone for a very enjoyable tournament yesterday! This includes very professional, excellent staff (the amazing Rico C., Kira+Peter, and Brian of the silly MA Thesis), opponents (very close games, especially in the finals), and teammates (great to play with y'all, including some masked bandit fellow---definitely a v. enjoyable bachelor party!).

Thanks again, and looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

the third garrideb
Wakka

This weekend was a lot of fun. Many thanks to Rico, Kira, Brian, Faith, Dennis, Joe, and Peter C. for their help with staffing the various events on both days, and to everyone that I got to play with this weekend for making both days very enjoyable.
Huma Zafar
Nabonidus
Wakka

Post by Nabonidus »

This weekend was indeed quite fun. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen, and also to whichever deity protects travellers who take rideshare offers from Craigslist.
Derek So
McGill