Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Which is correct?

quizbowl
71%
quiz bowl
29%

Total votes: 164

bmcke
Wakka

Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by bmcke »

I really want to learn / decide on a correct spelling, here. One spelling is more common in the media. Another spelling is in the header of these forums.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: Is there a space between "quiz" and "bowl"?

Post by Cody »

quizbowl.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

quiz bowl
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

The Quizbowl Tribune stylebook has always maintained that "Quizbowl" is one word, and is unnecessarily capitalized.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

My preferred spelling is, and always has been, xXxQuIzBoWl420xXx.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

As long as it isn't Aerith.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

The NAQT style guide mandates staunch "quiz bowl" partisanship. Most newer circuit folks go with "quizbowl." Hopefully we can all come together with peace, love, and a mutual understanding that "quiz-bowl" is just dumb, and that hyphens should be reserved almost entirely for compound adjectives that don't include -ly adverbs, and that this is super serious business, and that anyone who disagrees should be shouted down until they go away.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

I was originally more with the "quiz bowl" camp, but since we founded the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance I've pretty much exclusively used quizbowl, to the point where I frequently find myself typing "quizb" before I realize that wasn't the word starting with "qu" I wanted to type. Of course, I was never a member of a "quiz bowl" program - it was "scholar bowl" in high school and "ACO" (Academic Competition Organization) in college, so I wasn't too attached to the space.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Like Jeff, I've been a "quiz bowl" person for a while. But being involved in MOQBA has led me to become accepting of the "quizbowl" community as well.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I am a big fan of the quiz bowl. It is a nice bowl.

*I think I exclusively use quizbowl. It's easier and is more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

The only reason I use the space in tournament announcements/emails/for checks is that the club is actually called "Vanderbilt Quiz Bowl" on our website, and many coaches here call the game "quiz bowl". I am, however, a quizbowler.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

theMoMA wrote:The NAQT style guide mandates staunch "quiz bowl" partisanship. Most newer circuit folks go with "quizbowl." Hopefully we can all come together with peace, love, and a mutual understanding that "quiz-bowl" is just dumb, and that hyphens should be reserved almost entirely for compound adjectives that don't include -ly adverbs, and that this is super serious business, and that anyone who disagrees should be shouted down until they go away.
Except in French, where it should be called "le quiz-bowl"
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

I use quizbowl or Quiz Bowl interchangeably, but I prefer quizbowl because you can use it as a verb. I don't like splitting it into two words without capitalizing.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

I instinctively type "quiz bowl," but it honestly doesn't make a difference.
As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it. Quizbowling and quizbowler sound terrible to me.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Crazyflight wrote: As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it.
This does have the unfortunate side effect of making you sound like a total tool.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Turner Island wrote:
Crazyflight wrote: As for the other usage, I just say ballin and baller/balla[h] when describing it.
This does have the unfortunate side effect of making you sound like a total tool.
how to respond
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Logic would imply that since we don't play in the Rosebowl or the Orangebowl, we don't play quizbowl, either. The bowl half of the phrase is, I would assume, referring to the prize would be awarded for the competition, and quiz is the adjective describing it.

But heck, I'm from Alabama, and we play that there Scholars Bowl game, not some highflaootin' quiz thingywhatsit. 'Sides, we can't agree on whether there's an apostrophe in Scholars.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Yes, but we don't call HSNCT/NSC/ICT/Nats the Quiz Bowl, and nor do we call the game played with a strangely shaped "ball" Foot Ball.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
zachary_yan
Lulu

Post by zachary_yan »

wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

zachary_yan wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Although there is no universally agreed-upon guideline regarding the use of compound words in the English language, in recent decades written English has displayed a noticeable trend towards increased use of compounds. Recently, many words have been made by taking syllables of words and compounding them, such as pixel (picture element) and bit (binary digit). This is called a syllabic abbreviation.
I guess it also looks like "quibowl" might become the word of choice in the future...
Although in all seriousness, quizbowl is a thing and should be stopped.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Crazyflight wrote:
zachary_yan wrote:
I am a very strong believer in quizbowl over quiz bowl, but that pales in comparison to my hatred and disgust towards quizbowl.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

NickConderWKU wrote:It's easier and is more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.
Agreed. Also, "quizbowl" conveniently leads to terms such as quizbowling, quizbowler, etc.

What I've noticed is that many outsiders to quizbowl refer to it as "Quiz Bowl" with caps and space. I don't think there should be any caps whether there is a space or not, just like any other untrademarked game. "Foot Ball" and "Water Polo" just seem very awkward, as does "Quiz Bowl".
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
Capitoline
Lulu

Post by Capitoline »

I use "quizbowl" as an adjective and "quiz bowl" as a noun. This site is the Quizbowl Resource Center. I played quiz bowl.

This would seem to address both the Rose Bowl and "two-word adjectives are awkward" grammatical arguments.
Ben Cushing
Phoenixville '14
Penn '18
zachary_yan
Lulu

Post by zachary_yan »

Iphone auto correct reverts "quizbowl" into two words, which annoys me to no end. Google also suggests "quiz bowl" to a search query the other way and there is also no way to search for an exact string of "quizbowl".

"Quizbowl" seems to be used only by good quizbowl partisans.
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Joshua Rutsky wrote:Logic would imply that since we don't play in the Rosebowl or the Orangebowl, we don't play quizbowl, either. The bowl half of the phrase is, I would assume, referring to the prize would be awarded for the competition, and quiz is the adjective describing it.

But heck, I'm from Alabama, and we play that there Scholars Bowl game, not some highflaootin' quiz thingywhatsit. 'Sides, we can't agree on whether there's an apostrophe in Scholars.
The "Bowl" in "Rose Bowl", etc. is actually referring to the bowl shape of the stadium (or at least that is the origin of the term).
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

jonpin wrote:
Joshua Rutsky wrote:Logic would imply that since we don't play in the Rosebowl or the Orangebowl, we don't play quizbowl, either. The bowl half of the phrase is, I would assume, referring to the prize would be awarded for the competition, and quiz is the adjective describing it.

The "Bowl" in "Rose Bowl", etc. is actually referring to the bowl shape of the stadium (or at least that is the origin of the term).
And to make things even more semantically interesting/frustrating, there was also the old Miami Hurricanes stadium known as the "Orange Bowl"!
Turner Island wrote:
But of course, there's always a way not to sound like a tool... (don't act like a total tool!)
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
naesorman555
Lulu

Post by naesorman555 »

i usually use quizbowl for informal things and talking to other quizbowlers and quiz bowl for formal stuff and people not familiar with it, not really sure why
Sean Moran
Hoover High School Quiz Bowl player (2009-2013)
Hoover High School Assistant coach (2013-present)
Birmingham-Southern College Class of 2017
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

Strange Fascination wrote:
Crazyflight wrote:
zachary_yan wrote:
I am a very strong believer in quizbowl over quiz bowl, but that pales in comparison to my hatred and disgust towards quizbowl.
Death to quizbowl
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

This thread no longer makes any sense because apparently "q u b o" now automatically turns into "quizbowl"
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Shangdevin wrote:This thread no longer makes any sense because apparently "q u b o" now automatically turns into "quizbowl"
All is well.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT