George Oppen - 2/21/15

Old college threads.
Auroni
Auron

George Oppen - 2/21/15

Post by Auroni »

Stephen Eltinge and I are pleased to announce the George Oppen, a tournament that will take place on February 21st, 2015. This tournament will be easier than Nationals difficulty (or Nats minus), will consist of 15 packets, and will be produced entirely by the two of us. An excellent reference set for this tournament's difficulty is Minnesota Open 2010.

Why have I callously announced an open in the middle of the season? Well for one reason: I want to encourage college teams to play this tournament together. Not just the best college teams, but even decent ones that achieve low double digit PPB at ACF Regionals, will get something out of this tournament. To make that happen, we promise that at least 40% of the tossup answerlines could uncontroversially appear at ACF Regionals, and at least 15% of the answerlines could fly even at ACF Fall. Additionally, if you play on a team consisting of people from just your school, you will receive a $50 discount on your base fee.

The distribution per 20/20 is as follows:

4/4 Literature (1/1 each American, British, European including Classics, World Lit and more of the above)
4/4 History (1/1 each American, British/European, European (including classics), World)
4/4 Science (1/1 each Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Other Science)
3/3 RM + Thought (1/1 each Religion, Mythology, and "Thought", which is a mixture of philosophy and the more theoretical social sciences, such as sociology and cultural criticism, as well as intellectual history)
3/3 Arts (1/1 each Painting, Music, and Other Art)
1/1 Practical Social Science (such as economics)/Geography/Current Events, roughly evenly mixed
1/1 Trash

Astute readers will notice that this distribution is different from the standard ACF distribution. I have decided to go with the "Thought" category because the status quo, perhaps dictated by the needs of completing sets, results in piles of questions on hard thinkers that are not fun to play. Additionally, the output of several cultural critics and academics is fairly intertwined with the philosophical tradition, and it makes sense to treat those topics together as a common category. For social science fans: fret not! Every packet that has a theoretical social science question will not also have a practical social science one, so you can expect a little under 1/1 "social science" in the traditional sense per packet over the course of the tournament.

This is the payment scheme for the tournament:

Base Fee - $120 for open teams, $70 for college teams

And that's it. We ask for $30 per open team, and $20 per college team, to mirror the tournament. Email me at auronigupta@gmail dot com if you're interested. The rest of the fee schedule is up to you. Sites will be announced as I figure them out.

Sites:

Mid-Atlantic: University of Maryland - 2/21/15
Midwest: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign - 2/28/15
Northeast: Columbia University - 2/21/15
West: University of California, San Diego - 2/21/15
Canada: Queens University - 2/28/15
Southeast: University of Alabama - 2/21/15
South: Texas A&M
Last edited by Auroni on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Re: George Oppen - 2/21/15

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

I like the idea of a mid-season open-level (and open-field) tournament. Wouldn't February 21st (likely) be the Saturday of ACF Regionals, though?

Looking forward to the inevitable Canadian mirror of this :razz:
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

odin_envy_me wrote:I like the idea of a mid-season open-level (and open-field) tournament. Wouldn't February 21st (likely) be the Saturday of ACF Regionals, though?

Looking forward to the inevitable Canadian mirror of this :razz:
As was posted in the schedule thread, ACF Regionals 2015 will be on Saturday, January 24.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

RyuAqua wrote: As was posted in the schedule thread, ACF Regionals 2015 will be on Saturday, January 24.
Yup, I missed that. Thanks for clearing it up :)
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

List of hosts updated. If you want to mirror this in the South or in Canada (or in any other region that you think this tournament might be good for), then please drop me a line.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'm down to play this at any one of Illinois, Maryland, or Columbia, whichever draws the best field. If you are interested in playing with me, you know where to find me.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Since I'm not sure how interested my team will be in playing this, I'll be looking for a team for the Columbia site.

UPDATE 10/30: I am tentatively playing this at the Columbia site with Doug Yetman, Rohith Nagari, and Lloyd Sy.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I'm interested in forming an open team for this at the Illinois site. Message me if you're interested in joining forces.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I'd be interested in playing this tournament if it were hosted in Northern California (and I suspect several other Bay Area quizbowl retirees might feel the same).
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Magister Ludi wrote:I'd be interested in playing this tournament if it were hosted in Northern California (and I suspect several other Bay Area quizbowl retirees might feel the same).
Yeah I'd probably attend that, although Norcal vs. Socal doesn't make all that much difference to me.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Magister Ludi wrote:I'd be interested in playing this tournament if it were hosted in Northern California
I endorse this plan. Sunday, February 22nd might work well (since there's a good chance of a high school tournament on the 21st).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Having two mirrors of an open tournament in the same state makes no sense; that said, I obviously prefer a Norcal site to a UCSD one. Auroni, if you have any interest in approving something in the Bay Area (Stanford A would travel down to San Diego to play, by the way, though we are considering the Maryland site), I could try to work something out where Stanford provides rooms but doesn't take any money for hosting. I'll have to talk to my team about it though because I don't know how room reservations work here.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

gyre and gimble wrote:Having two mirrors of an open tournament in the same state makes no sense; that said, I obviously prefer a Norcal site to a UCSD one. Auroni, if you have any interest in approving something in the Bay Area (Stanford A would travel down to San Diego to play, by the way, though we are considering the Maryland site), I could try to work something out where Stanford provides rooms but doesn't take any money for hosting. I'll have to talk to my team about it though because I don't know how room reservations work here.
To add to this, I'd like to point out that Columbia and Maryland are not even 50% as far apart as San Diego and Stanford are, and the field at both is going to suffer from the strange decision to host mirrors of an in-season open tournament three hours apart. Is there any chance of these being collapsed?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

grapesmoker wrote:I'm down to play this at any one of Illinois, Maryland, or Columbia, whichever draws the best field. If you are interested in playing with me, you know where to find me.
Unless something goes awry, Jerry and I are now planning to team up for this at the Maryland site. If you're not playing with a college team and are interested in joining our merrie band to give the Top Teams maximally challenging target practice, let us know.

EDIT: I will now be doing my best Sphinx-circa-1798 impression with Jerry Vinokurov, Matt Weiner, and Tejas Raje at Maryland.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

gyre and gimble wrote:Having two mirrors of an open tournament in the same state makes no sense; that said, I obviously prefer a Norcal site to a UCSD one. Auroni, if you have any interest in approving something in the Bay Area (Stanford A would travel down to San Diego to play, by the way, though we are considering the Maryland site), I could try to work something out where Stanford provides rooms but doesn't take any money for hosting. I'll have to talk to my team about it though because I don't know how room reservations work here.

Heh, I would LOVE a 5 mile drive down El Camino Real to play a tournament. At the same time, I would be willing to drive a continent down to San Diego, should that be necessary.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Bernadette and I are planning to attend the Maryland site and are looking for teammates.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

Gautam wrote:
Heh, I would LOVE a 5 mile drive down El Camino Real to play a tournament. At the same time, I would be willing to drive a continent down to San Diego, should that be necessary.
How many people in SoCal are actually interested in playing this tournament? It seems silly to have nearly all of the West Coast mirror participants go on a long trip down to San Diego when they're either in the Bay Area or are far enough away from both (like Mike) that they'd have to fly either way. Like Stephen said, Stanford will send a team to UCSD if things stay as they are, but judging by people's responses thus far, I think it makes more sense to have the California site be in the Bay Area.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
Eyjafjallajökull
Lulu

Post by Eyjafjallajökull »

If people are trying to collect information, I should mention that Caltech intends to send at least three teams to this tournament if it remains at UCSD. It's still too soon to definitively say anything, but we certainly have quite a bit of interest. I imagine some of the other regulars in the area might show up as well. If this were held in the north instead, we would likely not be able to make it.
Eric

Johns Hopkins
Caltech 2015
Great Neck South 2011
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Galadedrid Damodred wrote: How many people in SoCal are actually interested in playing this tournament?
At this moment, I have interest from at least one team each from Claremont and UCSD (probably more), as well as some amount of interest from USC, UCLA, and Arcadia High School.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Which New England teams would go to a Columbia mirror? Several people think that site is a bad idea, due to relative closeness to the extremely strong Maryland site, but I see a lot of teams from the Northeast routinely at tournaments, and this is a tournament that incentives them to play together.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

If this tournament is supposed to be a regular tournament that just happens to also allow open teams (so to speak), there's nothing terribly wrong with having sites at both Columbia and Maryland. We all agree that having a site of a regular tournament in Boston or Providence and another site in Maryland or Richmond or whatever is not a bad thing. Having the Northeast site at Columbia instead is only marginally less desirable - the only teams that tend to prefer Columbia ≻ Mid-Atlantic ≻ Boston/Providence are those in Philadelphia vicinity or in New Jersey. i.e. this should not result in a significant cannibalization of the Maryland field by the Columbia field, nor vice versa; at worst, maybe Penn will decide to go to Columbia instead of Maryland or something like that. The alternative - having a site only at Maryland - seems likely to dissuade people in the Northeast from attending, because, like it or not, people in the Northeast are generally averse to long-distance travel.

Also (and this is unrelated to my above point, given that I am not located in the Northeast anymore), I would probably go to a mirror at Columbia.
Last edited by Excelsior (smack) on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

As expressed via email to Aidan (and as Ashvin suggests), Yale would definitely send at least one (and possibly two) teams to Columbia but would likely not send any teams to Maryland.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

It's a six or seven-hour drive from most of the big NE schools (nine hours from where we are) and, more importantly, you have to deal with I-95 for much of that distance. I don't have much experience going along the highways in the Midwest, but the East Coast gets nightmarish.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Galadedrid Damodred wrote:
Gautam wrote:
How many people in SoCal are actually interested in playing this tournament? It seems silly to have nearly all of the West Coast mirror participants go on a long trip down to San Diego when they're either in the Bay Area or are far enough away from both (like Mike) that they'd have to fly either way. Like Stephen said, Stanford will send a team to UCSD if things stay as they are, but judging by people's responses thus far, I think it makes more sense to have the California site be in the Bay Area.
Sorry - this is my tournament, there are teams here who are planning to come, and I'm not going to to make a vastly inconvenient trip just to hold my tournament just because a few people on the forums who have not made team plans want something really convenient for them.

Relatedly, we (UCSD) are going up to Stanford twice this season, for Penn Bowl and for ACF Regionals. It's fair to make you guys trek down just once in return.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Auroni wrote:
Gautam wrote:
Sorry - this is my tournament, there are teams here who are planning to come, and I'm not going to to make a vastly inconvenient trip just to hold my tournament just because a few people on the forums who have not made team plans want something really convenient for them.

Relatedly, we (UCSD) are going up to Stanford twice this season, for Penn Bowl and for ACF Regionals. It's fair to make you guys trek down just once in return.
Ok with that in mind I'll be attending the UCSD site and am looking for teammates.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Also this seems like a good tournament to attach Eyes V to. The set will be done for this tournament.
Mike Bentley
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

Auroni wrote:
Gautam wrote:

Yeah that's totally reasonable and I apologize if I sounded antagonistic. I just saw the string of posts from NorCal folks and wasn't aware what the corresponding interest level was from people in LA and San Diego. It's all good.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
Capricious
Lulu

Post by Capricious »

We (ASU) would like to express interest in attending at UCSD.
Joe Yu
Person in Arizona
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

After some further consulting with Aidan, I have decided that the Columbia mirror will stay.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

If you would like to play or mirror this in the South, please email me.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

There's a decent chance I might come out of retirement and play the Columbia site of this tournament with some former and current NYU members...
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Illinois plans on hosting this 2/28. Announcement will appear at some point this week

EDIT: Specifically here
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Did Maryland ever post an announcement thread for their site?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Any word on a South site for this?
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Ukonvasara wrote:Did Maryland ever post an announcement thread for their site?
We haven't yet, but it will be up very soon.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

List of hosts has yet again been updated.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Auroni wrote:Canada: Queens University - 2/28/15
This is now only 5 weeks away, with no host announcement. Could you ensure that your contact at Queen's is aware of the necessity of a post here (or at least somewhere), please?
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

This tournament is now being packetized. If you're running this set tomorrow, then expect an email from Stephen tonight.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Can a board staffer create a subforum for discussing the questions?
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Auroni wrote:Can a board staffer create a subforum for discussing the questions?
This has been done.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10