George Oppen at Alabama [2/21/15]

Old college threads.
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

George Oppen at Alabama [2/21/15]

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Greetings!

I'm pleased to announce that a mirror of George Oppen is being organized on the campus of the University of Alabama. Details are currently being ironed out right now and will be updated as soon as they are made available. This tournament will be held on 2/21 unless something crazy happens to where I have to change the date. I shall be the tournament organizer for this event and Dargan Ware shall be my trustworthy sidekick co-organizer. This is an open tournament so anyone can play, whether it be on an open team or your school's team. This tournament will take place at Bidgood Hall. Registration will most likely be around 8:30 AM with the intent of starting around 9:00 AM.

Fee structure (differs between open/school teams):

Open teams:
$110 per team
-$5 per functioning buzzer (limit 2 discounts, please bring as many as you'd like though!)
-$7.50 per 100 miles traveled by the player who drove the furthest to get to the tournament, according to Google maps
-$10 per competent moderator provided
minimum fee: $85 per team

School teams:
$85 per team
-$5 per functioning buzzer (limit 2 discounts, please bring as many as you'd like though!)
-$5 per 100 miles traveled by the player who drove the furthest to get to the tournament, according to Google maps
-$10 per competent moderator provided
minimum fee: $60 per team

Distribution:

The distribution per 20/20 is as follows:

4/4 Literature (1/1 each American, British, European including Classics, World Lit and more of the above)
4/4 History (1/1 each American, British/European, European (including classics), World)
4/4 Science (1/1 each Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Other Science)
3/3 RM + Thought (1/1 each Religion, Mythology, and "Thought", which is a mixture of philosophy and the more theoretical social sciences, such as sociology and cultural criticism, as well as intellectual history)
3/3 Arts (1/1 each Painting, Music, and Other Art)
1/1 Practical Social Science (such as economics)/Geography/Current Events, roughly evenly mixed
1/1 Trash

Note:

Astute readers will notice that this distribution is different from the standard ACF distribution. Auroni has decided to go with the "Thought" category because the status quo, perhaps dictated by the needs of completing sets, results in piles of questions on hard thinkers that are not fun to play. Additionally, the output of several cultural critics and academics is fairly intertwined with the philosophical tradition, and it makes sense to treat those topics together as a common category. For social science fans: fret not! Every packet that has a theoretical social science question will not also have a practical social science one, so you can expect a little under 1/1 "social science" in the traditional sense per packet over the course of the tournament.

You can email me at husbandofsamus at gmail dot com if you have any questions regarding this event.

*EDIT: date set at 2/21
*EDIT: fee structure updated
*EDIT: tournament location
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Re: George Oppen at Alabama

*reserved for field update:

Field/Staffers/Buzzers:
Louisiana Tech + Billy Beyer [1/0/0]
UGA [1/0/0]
Cientificos Thompsonicos (Jake Sundberg/Dargan Ware/Matt Hayes) [1/0/1]
Kai Smith/Jesse Bennett/Rohan Nag [1/0/2]
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
NickCahlfs
Lulu

Post by NickCahlfs »

Tulane is planning on bringing 2-3 teams, 2 staffers? and 2 buzzers systems

Also buttloads of fun
Nick Cummins
President of Tulane University Quiz Bowl
Tulane University '16
Loyola Academy '12
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

Louisiana Tech IS IN.
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB »

NickCahlfs wrote:Tulane is planning on bringing 2-3 teams, 2 staffers? and 2 buzzers systems

Also buttloads of fun
In addition to regular Tulane students, there is a pretty good chance that Kevin Marshall and I will also be driving up from New Orleans to play/bring the noise.
Ryan McLaren
President, Tulane University Krewe of Quiz Bowl (2009-12)
Member, Louisiana Quiz Bowl (http://www.louisianaquizbowl.org/)
Tulane University Law School '15
wd4gdz
Tidus

Re: George Oppen at Alabama [2/21/15]

Post by wd4gdz »

Please sign me up as a team. Thanks!

P.S. I am looking for teammates

edit: I am now playing with the La Tech team.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Congratulations to Billy and Nick for going 8-2 to win. Kai Smith / Nick Conder / Ramapriya Rangaraju / Michael Smith lost an exciting advantaged final. Hayes/Sundberg/Ware finished 3-6 (egad!) with UGA going 2-7. Billy was the leading scorer with me 2nd and Kai 3rd. I won a Yoda bag. The packets won. Stats will be posted either when I get home or wake up.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

I want to thank Jake and everyone at Alabama for hosting a such a smooth and well-run event, and to everyone who came despite the terrible road conditions!
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Stats not including final:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

Stats including final:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... %2B_final/

Thanks to all of the folks who came out! Also, thanks to Dominic Lloyd, Meredith Rickard, Mark Blanton, and Forrest Walker for staffing the tournament and making it run smoothly. I'm happy a few of you braved the conditions to make it to Tuscaloosa - I don't know of very many people who would have done that.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired