SQBS?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

SQBS?

Post by ProsperoSMS »

How many up here have used SQBS for keeping stats at a tournament? For our upcoming competition (The Belles Bowl at Saint Mary's, February 25, for those looking for one to attend), we will have 15 "Lightning Round" tossups, a worksheet round, and then 10 pyramidal tossups and bonuses. (I've been told this format matches the Alabama format, although that's completely coincidental.) Would such a format work with SQBS (or, as I think of it, what works well for Alabama)?

Thanks,
Hugh
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

How will the Lightning Round work? Is it just short tossups for both teams, or is it a few sets of questions, one for team A, one for team B?

If it's the latter, then you'll have to combine the scores from that with the scores from the worksheet rounds. If not, then it should work perfectly.

If you're not planning on doing individual stats, just create one player for each team with the name of the school or something and put the number of tossups answered next to that name.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

The teams will be answering a quick series of tossups.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

It's similar to the Alabama format but not the same. We have 10 5-point tossups, 10 10-point tossups with bonuses, a worksheet, and then 10 15- point tossups.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Accordingly to the SQBS website, it has some kind of optional "lightning round" feature, which you should be able to use, though I don't know how similar your concept of "lightning round" is to its.

For the worksheet round, I would suggest creating a new player on each team called "worksheet," and entering the number of questions right on the worksheet as the number of 10-point-tossups for player "worksheet." If the lightning round feature doesn't work, you could presumably do the same with a new player called "lightning." This could throw havoc into your individual ppg rankings and your bonus conversions, if you plan on keeping either stat. There might be ways out of it, though.