SAGES elementary/MS question set

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
alexdz
Rikku

SAGES elementary/MS question set

Post by alexdz »

This post has been edited on May 28 to reflect new information about SAGES.

The inaugural SAGES set (Spring Academic Game for Elementary Students) is available for mirrors beginning in March 2015 and extending through the fall of 2015.

SAGES is intended for use with students between 3rd and 6th grades. In areas lacking organized elementary school competition (most of the country I would assume), these questions might be appropriate for other kinds of events: an elementary "trivia night" contest, an intramural event or a teachers vs students competition, for example. Under no circumstances should these questions be used at any event catering primarily to organized high school quizbowl teams; there are far more appropriate sets for such events.

The main site for this tournament was formatted for tossups-only, but the set is also available in the traditional 20 tossup/bonus format with 10 packets. (Questions can be reformatted to meet the needs of mirror sites upon request (see below).) Each tossup is approximately three lines long and is written in a pyramidal style (harder clues progressing toward easier clues), and each bonus features three parts: an easy, medium and harder part.

I (Alex Dzurick) am serving as head editor for SAGES, and am being assisted by a cadre of talented writers and editors from Missouri.

Difficulty: This set is intended for use with elementary school students who have little to no previous experience with quizbowl-like competition. For reference purposes, I am aiming for a difficulty a notch or two below previous iterations of CMST. Accessibility is the key word.

Distribution: A total of 21/21 per packet.

4/4 Language Arts & Literature
4/4 Social Studies (History & Civics)
4.5/4.5 Science
2.5/2.5 Mathematics (includes computation)
1.5/1.5 Religion & Mythology
1.5/1.5 Fine Arts
1/1 Geography
0.5/0.5 Current Events
0.5/0.5 General Knowledge/Miscellaneous
1/1 Pop Culture

Mirroring: This set is available for mirrors anywhere in the world as long as they occur on or after March 18, 2015 and before December 31, 2015. For packets of only tossups, mirror fees are $7 per team. For the tossup/bonus set, mirror fees are $10 per team. If you are in a situation where you require any other reformatting/significant adjustments or other unique situations, simply email me (see below) to inquire. I want these questions to be used and for younger students to be exposed to good quizbowl, so please don't hesitate to ask for something. To set up a mirror of SAGES, please contact me at [email protected] with information about your event.
Last edited by alexdz on Fri May 29, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
alexdz
Rikku

Re: SAGES elementary/MS question set

Post by alexdz »

Main site:
2015 Show-Me Conference Elementary Knowledge Bowl - 3rd-6th Grade (Jefferson City, MO) - March 17, 2015

Completed Mirrors:
Darien Elementary Academic Challenge - 5th Grade (Darien, CT) - June 1, 2015
Bay Area Elementary School Tournament - 6th grade and under (Santa Clara, CA) - September 27, 2015
Quizzing in the Hills Tournament @ Huntington HS (Chillicothe, OH) - November 14, 2015

Planned Mirrors:
Buffalo Middle School Tournament @ Buffalo Prairie Middle School (Buffalo, MO) - February 20, 2016

Canceled Mirrors:
Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES 'Quiz Bowl' Summer Camp (Carmel, NY) - August 17-21, 2015
TQBA Patriot Games II, elementary division (San Antonio, TX) - September 19, 2015
Last edited by alexdz on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

An update: I have either written or received 65% of the questions for this set and have started editing. During this week, I plan to finish writing my contributions and editing the remaining questions.

Progress has been steady on this set and I anticipate having it delivered on schedule for the main site. We are definitely still looking for mirrors; even if you think your use might be unconventional, I'd be happy to consider it and speak with you about it.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Happy to say this set has just been shipped off for the main site!
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Quick thoughts from the main site, which I was able to attend today:

- Difficulty level seemed to be pretty much on target. Top teams were answering 16-17 out of 20 tossups combined, lower teams around 13 combined. This was a major question style change for many of the teams, so next year I would expect to see more like 18 and 15.

- Moderators seemed to make use of the pronunciation guides when they were included, but I might need to insert a few more.

- The distribution seemed to be appropriate for the teams.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

A reminder that this set is available through the end of the calendar year (and possibly in January if need be).

We are also starting work on SAGES II in 2016 and would be happy to take on new writers. Email me (my email is in the original post) if you are interested in contributing to the set.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

We will be mirroring this set at Huntington HS (Near Chillicothe, OH) on 11/14/15
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

Bump for location update in the previous post
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Is this something that can be purchased as a resource for intramural competition with lower level students in my school? I'm thinking of my novice 6th graders...
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

the return of AHAN wrote:Is this something that can be purchased as a resource for intramural competition with lower level students in my school? I'm thinking of my novice 6th graders...
I plan to post the set for free to the database once it's season is over. PM/email me with more details about what you want to do with it and we might be able to work something out. Since I'm in Illinois now I would love to actually have a mirror of this, but I'm new to the circuit so I don't know what the demand might be for teams and, if there is any, what geographic area it would be from.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Big thanks to Jeff Hoppes for providing detailed feedback on the set after using it this past weekend! It is very much appreciated.
Alex Dzurick
====
====
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

Here is a link to our Mirror at Huntington MS
http://ohioqbforum.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... p=893#p893
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

Our mirror at Huntington is this weekend can you send the questions to the TD please?
cathy.adams [AT] huntsmen [DOT] org

Thanks
Cortney