NAQT Midwest SCT at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Old college threads.
vizcacha

NAQT Midwest SCT at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Post by vizcacha »

Hey all:

The following is an announcement and call for interest for the Midwest NAQT SCT, which will be hosted by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Academic Buzzer Team on our lovely Urbana-Champaign campus on Saturday, February 11, 2005. Steven Canning and Sudheer Potru will be in charge of running this event, and any questions regarding it or registrations should be directed to Sudheer at [email protected].

The tournament will most likely run from about 8:30 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday, and will most likely feature a round-robin followed by bracketed playoffs and finals if necessary. However, this format may change in the future depending on how many teams we get for the tournament. In any event, do not worry, as any registering teams will be made well-aware of format before they begin play.

We will of course be running separate divisions for D-I and D-II, and we will be awarding titles for D-I overall champion, highest-placing all-undergrad team in D-I, and D-II overall champion.

We have not yet figured out fee structure, but will do so sometime soon. Undoubtedly, there will be discounts for functional buzzer systems and clocks, and probably substantial discounts for competent game officials; once again, any teams wishing to play will be notified of fee structure and discounts far in advance of the event.

As noted previously, if you wish to register, please e-mail Sudheer at [email protected]. Another announcement with more details will follow at some point in the next few weeks. We look forward to seeing you in Urbana on February 11.

Thanks,

Sudheer Potru and Steven Canning

Co-Tournament Directors, Midwest NAQT SCT

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

The 2006 Midwest NAQT Sectional Tournament will be held in Gregory Hall on the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday, February 11, 2006.

The tournament will of course be run on the NAQT Sectional question set, and the format will most likely be some sort of round-robin followed by bracketed playoffs. If there are at least six teams eligible for Division II, we will keep the Division I and II fields separate. Eligibility rules and rules for play can be found from NAQT's website, http://www.naqt.com.

Registration will begin at precisely 8:30 Central Standard Time, and there will be a brief meeting at 9:00 am to discuss rules and other various things. Round 1 will start no later than 9:15 am (that is to say, if your team is not in the proper room ready to play at 9:15 am, you will forfeit Round 1).

Registration Fees:
$120 for the first team from a school
$100 for each additional team
$80 for schools that have *never* played any NAQT tournaments before (none of the other discounts will apply)

Discounts:
-$15 for a competent moderator with the ability to get through at least 20 tossups per round (limit 1)
-$10 for a working buzzer system with eight functioning lights (limit 2)
-$5 for a suitable clock for timed play (limit 2)

When you officially register, please let us know how many teams/buzzers/clocks/moderators you are planning to bring. Also, please be sure to indicate whether each team is Division I, Division I (UG), or Division II when registering. If you would like to register, or if you have further questions, please e-mail Sudheer at [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you in February.

Thanks,

Steven Canning and Sudheer Potru
Tournament Directors
E-mail: [email protected]

P.S. Sometime in the next couple of days, we will be e-mailing all of the teams from whom we have already heard, asking for specific information regarding your registration.
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

This post will be regularly edited and updated as more teams sign up and/or clarify their registrations. If you would like to register or clarify, please e-mail Sudheer at [email protected].

Teams registered so far:

Division I:

Rose-Hulman (1, UG?)
Chicago (3, 1 UG)
Truman State (1)
Wash U (1, UG)
Michigan (1)

Division II:

Chicago (1)
Cincinnati (3)
Bowling Green (1)
Truman State (2)
Wash U (2)
Michigan (2)
Eureka (1)
Last edited by suds1000 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

In addition to the updated list of teams above, I just wanted to let you guys know that we'll be sending out more specific location and time information sometime in the very near future.

Thanks,

--Sudheer
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

Teams registered so far:

Division I:

Rose-Hulman (1, UG?)
UChicago (3, 1 UG)
Truman State (1, UG)
Wash U (1, UG)
Michigan (1)