Kentucky 2015-16

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Kentucky 2015-16

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Here's a schedule for the upcoming season. I'll update it and make improvements to it periodically.

August 8
August 15
August 22
August 29: Glasgow Scottie Invitational, Glasgow

September 5
September 12
September 19
September 26

October 3
October 10: Fleming County Middle School Tournament, Flemingsburg
October 17: UofL Arts & Sciences Academic Challenge, Louisville
October 24: Campbell County Middle School Classic, Alexandria
November 1: University of Kentucky Fall Championship, Lexington

November 7: Dunbar Bulldog JV/Middle School Tournament, Lexington
November 14: Class Act High School Invitational, Louisville; KAAC JV Challenge, Various Sites; Edmonson County Wildcat Challenge, Brownsville
November 21: WKU Hilltopper Invitational, Bowling Green
November 28: Thanksgiving

December 5
December 12: Danville Winter Tournament, Danville
December 19
December 26: Christmas

January 2
January 9: Fleming County Academic Tournament, Flemingsburg;
January 16: Western Kentucky History Bowl, Owensboro
January 23
January 30: KAAC Governor's Cup District, Various Sites

February 6: Eastern Kentucky History Bowl, Paintsville
February 13
February 20: KAAC Governor's Cup Regional, Various Sites
February 27 University of Kentucky Spring Championship, Lexington

March 5: Kentucky NAQT State Championship, Louisville; Johnson County Middle School Invitational, Paintsville
March 12
March 19: KAAC Governor's Cup State, Louisville
March 26: Kentucky History Bee and Bowl State Championships, Glasgow

April 2:
April 9
April 16: KQBA Middle School State Championship, Louisville; Danville Spring Invitational, Danville
April 23: Jefferson County Pre-Nationals Invitational, Louisville; National History Bee and Bowl (NHBB), Arlington, VA
April 29: NAQT Small School National Championship Tournament (SSNCT), Chicago

May 7:NAQT Middle School National Championship Tournament (MSNCT), Atlanta
May 14
May 21
May 27: NAQT High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT), Dallas

June 4:PACE National Scholastic Championship (NSC), Chicago
June 11
June 18

Italics for middle school events
Bold for state and national championship events
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Kentucky 2015-16

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Fleming County has already claimed a date for next year, but all other tournament hosts have yet to decide on a date. If you're planning to host a tournament, once you select a date you should post here or email me if you want it added to the calendar. I may catch it from the tournament announcement or the NAQT website or whatnot, but contacting me directly is probably the quickest route.

I'm not in charge in decision making anywhere, but I'm going to encourage Louisville's team to continue hosting frequently, and I have heard that my former teammates at WKU are expecting to continue hosting as well. KQBA will continue operating events, but the exact details are likely not to be completed for a while. I have no other information at this time.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
mriggle
Lulu

Post by mriggle »

We're going to host Hilltopper Invitational on November 21. I haven't yet made the official announcement, but I plan to do so within the end of the week.
Matthew Riggle
Pope John Paul II Catholic High School (Huntsville, Alabama): 2008-2012
Western Kentucky University: 2012-present
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Post by Helmuth von Moltke »

Would anyone be up for posting their pre-season Kentucky predictions?
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Helmuth von Moltke wrote:Would anyone be up for posting their pre-season Kentucky predictions?
Woodford County is going to be really, really good next year. From what I can tell, Luke was a junior and on top of that they have plenty of other able players coming back. Manual is going to be really good again next year, but they do lose quite a bit of firepower and need other people to step up. Dunbar is going to be better next year I would guess, since Thirushan really started to gain steam as the season went along and is a really good player. Russell brings back Ali Wilt and should continue to be a strong contender, and from our last couple JV tournaments at WKU, I would guess other teams with some good rising talent are Daviess County and Campbell County.

Lots of teams lose a lot this year. I'm pretty sure Manual, Glasgow, Gatton, Ballard, Eastern, and Pikeville all have substantial losses to overcome. I expect Manual to be fine since they have lots of good players still around and coming in. Glasgow has Anish coming back I think, and they tend to know how to build pretty good teams. Ballard losing Jack is going to be really hard to overcome, but they and Eastern are both teams that always seem to figure it out and be pretty good. Gatton has Zach to build around, but I'm not sure exactly who is going to be doing such building (they may be self-coached next year, if they can't find a replacement for me) or what quizbowl interest still exists among other Gatton students. Pikeville loses Ammad and probably some other people too, from what I've heard.

I'm not sure what the situation is everywhere else. Simon Kenton went to NSC and seemed capable, Johnson Central still has lots of good players that I don't know anything about, and there are plenty of other teams who could break through and become really good.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Glasgow Scottie Invitational field is FULL
Last edited by Scottietodd on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Scottietodd wrote:Glasgow High School would like to invite you to the Scottie Invitational to be held on August 29th. The format is traditional quiz bowl with 20 tossups with powers and three-part bonuses that will bounce back.

The fee is $70 per team.

An early field includes:

Russell Ind. HS 3 teams
Johnson Central 2 teams
Dunbar HS 2 teams
Adair Co HS 2 teams
McCracken Co HS 1+ teams

Interested:
Henderson Co HS
Trinity HS
Ballard HS

If you are interested please contact me at [email protected] to receive a more detailed invitation.
Have you guys decided which set you are using?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
RHolt32
Kimahri

Post by RHolt32 »

For McCracken Co. can I verify we're bringing 2? I saw the 1+ and that threw me off...
Rodney Holt
McCracken County
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

I have edited the link for both of your questions Rodney and Nick. Specifically, I have McCracken for 2 teams and we are using a modified house-write by David Jones of Northmont.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Please move the Jr FCAT to Saturday October 10

More details on this middle school tournament when school begins. Thanks
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Fleming County High School will host the 18th Annual Fleming County Academic Tournament on Saturday January 9th in Flemingsburg. Most details will be pretty much the same as in years past. $70 entry for a school's first team. $35 for additional squads. We plan to use HSAPQ's VHSL sets in a modified version of Governor's Cup format (20 toss ups per half with single part bounce backs).

We will also have a separate "B" division.

Morning pool play rounds will be reseeded for playoff pools. Teams will be guaranteed 7 games (4 pool and 3 playoff). Field will be capped at 32 teams. We do ask teams to bring working buzzers and a reader or scorekeeper.

More details when school opens.

We will also be hosting a middle school tournament (grades 6-8)(Jr FCAT) Saturday, October 10. This will also be at FCHS. We will use NAQT MS-15, and will play NAQT format. Entry fee will be $60 for first teams and $30 for additional squads. We do request a working buzzer. Lunch will be sold on site for the Jr. FCAT.

Anyone interested in either tournament can contact me at [email protected]
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Glasgow Scottie Invitational field is FULL
Last edited by Scottietodd on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
TylerReid
Lulu

Post by TylerReid »

UK will be hosting the third annual University of Kentucky Fall Championship on Sunday, November 1st, 2015 using the BISB question set. The forum post is now up and invitations will be sent out to coaches over the next several days. Feel free to contact us at [email protected] with any questions or to register!
Tyler Reid
Glasgow High School 2009-2013
University of Kentucky 2013-2018
Kentucky Quiz Bowl Alliance Board Member
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

Danville is planning to host a winter tournament again on December 12. I'll have the forum post and information out as soon as I have the details confirmed.
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School
zainyk98
Lulu

Post by zainyk98 »

For the Dunbar Bulldog tournament, we are also allowing high school JV teams to play. They will be in a separate division from the middle school play. Both the middle school teams and the high school JV teams will be using NAQT 151 A.
Zainab Kahloon
Paul Laurence Dunbar '16
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Just a quick note that the KQBA Goldenrod Cup will be awarded once again this year, and the first tournament of the sequence will be tomorrow's tournament at Glasgow. We'll have a full schedule and announcement up soon.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Congratulations to Detroit Catholic Central for winning the 2015 Glasgow Scottie Invitational this past Saturday. Dorman A was Runner Up with Johnson Central and Battle Ground Academy rounding out the top 4. Dunbar B finished as JV champion with Dorman B runner-up JV champion. Full stats have been posted in the tournament database.

The Glasgow academic team would like to thank all of the teams that participated and all of the volunteers who worked as moderators and staff.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Field Update for the 2016 iteration of the Fleming County Academic Tournament.

Fleming Co. x2
Lafayette x2
Paintsville x2
Campbell Co. x2
Simon Kenton x2
Johnson Central x2
Ashland x2
Grayson Co. x1
Sheldon Clark x2
P.L. Dunbar x2
Bishop Brossart x1
Danville x1

Field size is currently 21. Cap is currently 32

We also still have plenty of room in the October 10 Jr. FCAT for middle school teams.
TylerReid
Lulu

Post by TylerReid »

UK will be hosting the fourth annual University of Kentucky Spring Championship on Saturday, February 27th, 2016 using the BHSAT question set. The forum post is up and teams are certainly welcome to register now, although we won't begin actively recruiting until after our Fall Championship has passed. We're glad to be able to return to hosting on a Saturday!
Tyler Reid
Glasgow High School 2009-2013
University of Kentucky 2013-2018
Kentucky Quiz Bowl Alliance Board Member
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Quick update on the tournament field:

The current field consists of:

Fleming Co. x2
Lafayette x2
Paintsville x2
Campbell Co. x2
Simon Kenton x2
Johnson Central x2
Ashland x2
Grayson Co. x2
Sheldon Clark x2
Dunbar x2
Bishop Brossart x1
Danville x1
Ft. Thomas Highlands x1
Dupont Manual x2

By my count that's 25 teams, with a current cap of 32. IF we need to run an unbalanced tournament, with a larger "A" pool, than "B" we will try to make that work.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The current Goldenrod Cup standings may be viewed here. The next tournament affiliated with the Goldenrod Cup is the University of Kentucky Fall Championship, being held in Lexington on November 1. That tournament is the 3rd in what is right now a series of 10 scheduled tournaments that will be scored for Goldenrod Cup purposes, so the competition has a long way to go. Good luck to participating teams!
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Fbrown
Kimahri

Post by Fbrown »

Basically here asking for midseason predictions for KAAC and NAQT, preferably after November 21, so as to take JV Challenge, Class Act, and WKU into account. :grin:
Anish Patel, Glasgow
Helmuth von Moltke
Wakka

Post by Helmuth von Moltke »

Fbrown wrote:Basically here asking for midseason predictions for KAAC and NAQT, preferably after November 21, so as to take JV Challenge, Class Act, and WKU into account. :grin:
From who I've played against/stats this season, I'd say KAAC (as far as quick recall anyway) will most likely go to either Dunbar, Manual, Woodford or us.
Trevor Blevins
Johnson Central '16
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

A tournament update: currently the FCAT is at cap size. We have 34 teams for a 32 team field. Any further commitments will, at present be placed on a waiting list.

The field currently consists of:
Lafayette x2
Paintsville x2
Campbell Co. x2
Simon Kenton x2
Johnson Central x2
Ashland x2
Grayson Co. x2
Sheldon Clark x2
Dunbar x2
Bishop Brossart x1
Danville x1
Ft. Thomas Highlands x1
Manual x2
Woodford Co. x3
Daviess Co. x1
Raceland x1
Russell x2
West Jessamine x2

Currently I have two Fleming Co. teams as numbers 33 and 34. IF I can figure a way to keep and even number of teams and still be able to rank the field from top to bottom without byes (and IF there's enough readers) I might be able to open things up to 36 teams.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The current Goldenrod Cup standings may be viewed here.

I went through and counted Kentucky teams that played at Glasgow, Ezell Harding, UofL, the Northern Kentucky League Tournament, UK Fall, Dunbar JV, Class Act, WKU, and Danville. There were 69 teams from 44 Kentucky schools who attended at least one of those events. Kent's post suggests it's possible that two more schools will play a pyramidal event at FCAT.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
mriggle
Lulu

Post by mriggle »

As announced here, the WKU Big Red Invitational has been moved to April 2.
Matthew Riggle
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

First a hearty thank you to everyone that attended and assisted with today's Fleming County Academic Tournament. This year's tournament used HSAPQ's VHSL sets, modified into a hybrid format to help teams prep for Kentucky's upcoming Governor's Cup District competition. Russell defeated Johnson Central in the championship match, and Campbell emerged in third place over Manual.

Now for the good stuff. The final varsity standings:
1. Russell 6-1
2. Johnson Central 6-1
3. Campbell Co. 5-2
4. DuPont Manual 5-2
5/6. West Jessamine and PL Dunbar
7/8. Daviess Co. and Woodford Co. "A"
9. Ashland
10. Simon Kenton
11. Glasgow
12. Danville
13/14. Russell "B" and Woodford "C"
15. Raceland
16. Woodford "B"
17. Ft. Thomas Highlands
18. Fleming Co.
19. Paintsville
20. Sheldon Clark.

This year's FCAT is affiliated with PACE and the Goldenrod Cup. Information has been submitted to PACE and the top 15% should hear something soon.

There was also a 12 team "B" division. Congratulations to Dunbar who defeated Johnson Central in the "B" championship.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

FCPanther wrote:5/6. West Jessamine and PL Dunbar
9. Ashland
10. Simon Kenton
Were these ties officially (doesn't really matter by which method) broken, or should I read that as tied for 5th, 7th, and 9th?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Yawar Fiesta wrote:
9. Ashland
10. Simon Kenton
Were these ties officially (doesn't really matter by which method) broken, or should I read that as tied for 5th, 7th, and 9th?
Nick,

Sorry about that.

Yes those were ties for 5th, and 7th. Ashland was 9th and Simon Kenton was 10th.

West Jessamine and Dunbar finished in the same position in their championship flights (3rd in four team pools) and didn't make the cut for the championship or 3rd place game. Same for Daviess and Woodford who finished fourth in their afternoon brackets.

Ashland and Simon Kenton were outside the top 8 when championship pools were seeded, and were able to settle matters head to head in their afternoon bracket.

Hope that makes sense.

If you want I can get you everyone's overall record for the day (#1-20). Individual match scores make take me a little while if you want those.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

FCPanther wrote:
Yawar Fiesta wrote:
9. Ashland
10. Simon Kenton
Nick,

Sorry about that.

Yes those were ties for 5th, and 7th. Ashland was 9th and Simon Kenton was 10th.

West Jessamine and Dunbar finished in the same position in their championship flights (3rd in four team pools) and didn't make the cut for the championship or 3rd place game. Same for Daviess and Woodford who finished fourth in their afternoon brackets.

Ashland and Simon Kenton were outside the top 8 when championship pools were seeded, and were able to settle matters head to head in their afternoon bracket.

Hope that makes sense.

If you want I can get you everyone's overall record for the day (#1-20). Individual match scores make take me a little while if you want those.
This should be enough info for the Goldenrod Cup standings. Thanks!
Nicholas C
KQBA member
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

One other thing that was brought to my attention: Campbell Co.'s overall record was 6-1 NOT 5-2. I had them losing two playoff games when I typed the results in last night. They, in fact, lost only one playoff game (To Johnson) then turned around and won the third place game. Apologies to the Camels for my error. I guess I should sleep before trying to sort back through score sheets next time.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

You may now register for the Kentucky NAQT State Championship here! If you have an NAQT account already, just log in and go through the registration process. If you do not have an account, it's a short process to create one. Remember to note how many buzzers and moderators you are bringing, so that we can provide correct invoices.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
mriggle
Lulu

Post by mriggle »

Unfortunately, we have had to cancel our April 2nd tournament at WKU due to a date conflict.
Matthew Riggle
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

If anybody can help staff the Kentucky NAQT State Championship, which is March 5 at the University of Louisville, please contact me at nicholas.conder[at]louisville.edu
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

KAAC State quick recall draws have been posted, for those who have not seen them yet.

High school: http://kaac.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content ... l-Draw.pdf
Middle School: http://kaac.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content ... l-Draw.pdf
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

Absurdly early date claim for FCAT 2017

The 2017 iteration of the Fleming County Academic Tournament is approved for January 7, 2017 at Fleming County High School in Kentucky. Most details will remain about the same as the last few years. Pool play will lead to seeded pools to rank the field. We will have varsity and "B" divisions, and plan to use HSAPQ questions modified to a hybrid Governor's Cup format. Every team will get a minimum of 6 games and we do request schools bring a working buzzer and a reader or scorer. More details to follow in the fall, but the hope is that we can build on the 30 teams (10 nationally ranked) that we had this past year.
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

Great showing for Kentucky at SSNCT this weekend. :) All 5 Kentucky teams in the field (Danville, Glasgow A/B, Raceland, Russell) qualified for Sunday winner's bracket by going 6-3 or better on Saturday. In the playoffs, Glasgow B finished t-11, while Glasgow A and Russell both finished t-7.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Scottietodd
Wakka

Post by Scottietodd »

Please pencil in August 27, 2016 for the next Glasgow Scottie Invitational as well. I will be sending out invitations soon.
Todd Garrison
Glasgow High School
Coach - 2012 to present