Qubowl?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Qubowl?

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

Does anyone happen to know what qubowl.com is and/or if it is legitimate? It came up as an ad on google. It claims to help you get better.... Who are the "champions" who wrote the questions for this site?
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
jonah
Auron

Re: Qubowl?

Post by jonah »

Not really. Someone claiming to be from them requested a QBWiki account under the name "Will Gilbrech". (I sent it back for revision because the application did not satisfy the QBWiki requirements.) Many of the subcategories listed at https://www.qubowl.com/categories/ suggest that these people don't really understand what mainstream quizbowl is.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Post by Maury Island incident »

Since it's from Arkansas, I'd assume there'd be a heavy :chip: influence on the questions and content.
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

Interestingly enough they follow the IHSBBCA and various other pyramidal quiz bowl organizations on their twitter page
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
Stained Diviner
Auron

Hayseed Ventures is headed by the same person who headed Champions Quiz Prep years ago. I believe that this is the only thread on this site which discussed that company.
David Reinstein
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I signed up for an account and just tried the free quiz. It works very similarly to Quizlet, preloaded with giveaway clues.

It certainly doesn't seems particularly useful for people looking to get serious about quiz bowl, but maybe there's more hidden away under the paywall, which I don't have time to test out right now. It does look like the kind of site that would appeal to people who don't know anything about quiz bowl, though.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator