Iowa 2015-16

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CometsCoach
Lulu

Iowa 2015-16

Post by CometsCoach »

I am proud to announce the creation of the Iowa Quiz Bowl League (IQBL). IQBL is designed to be an organization that supports players and coaches throughout the State Of Iowa and will make cohesive competition a reality for all grade levels.

I am serving as the primary contact for the organization until more coaches get on board and we have a better structure. I figure, I'll probably have to go it alone for a while until I can get more support.

Please contact me with any questions. If you are seeking a place to mirror your tournament, we would be willing! We are looking at a novice event in the fall, a separate fall tournament, a State Championship, possibly an NAQT event, and we hope to continue to work with the National History Bee & Bowl on continuing their tournament in Iowa.

In Iowa for 2015-16, the best teams going in will likely be Ames, Bishop Heelan (Sioux City), Clinton, West Des Moines Valley, and hopefully Waukee can continue its early success as a team. Good luck to all and we hope to welcome some teams from other states to our events.
Jay Winter
Iowa Quiz Bowl League Founder & CEO
VP for Outreach, PACE
Mathematics Teacher & Quiz Bowl Head Coach, Waukee Northwest High School (IA)
Co-Owner of Quiz Bowl Systems/Slammer Systems
CometsCoach
Lulu

Re: Iowa 2015-16

Post by CometsCoach »

The link to information about IQBL and its events is here: https://sites.google.com/site/iowaquizbowlleague/home

Please contact me with any questions or information. Tournament announcements will be forthcoming in the proper places.
Jay Winter
VP for Outreach, PACE
CometsCoach
Lulu

Post by CometsCoach »

The first IQBL Event took place October 10, it was our Novice Tournament. Here are the results:

1. Waukee
2. West Des Moines-Valley B
3. Valley A
4. Valley C
5. Bishop Garrigan- Algona

Special thanks to SCOP and Kristin Strey for the great set of questions, and especially to the staffers and teams who participated.
Jay Winter
VP for Outreach, PACE
CometsCoach
Lulu

Post by CometsCoach »

As I become more aware of tournaments and formats being used across Iowa, the Iowa Quiz Bowl League's mission will be to ensure high quality competition at all of its events.

Our next event is the 2015 Fall Open, and it has been moved to November 21 at Waukee High School.

Visit the website or search the tournament database for more information.
Jay Winter
VP for Outreach, PACE
CometsCoach
Lulu

Post by CometsCoach »

The 2015 IQBL Fall Open was held yesterday at Waukee High School, with the host team running the table and capturing their third tournament of the year.

Complete stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ll_rounds/

We look forward to seeing everyone back in February and April for more events.
Jay Winter
VP for Outreach, PACE
CometsCoach
Lulu

Post by CometsCoach »

Waukee emerged as the winning team again after a very narrow victory in a playoff at the 2016 Lightning In Winter Tournament on February 13. Ames A finished 2nd, Urbandale 3rd, and Creighton Prep A 4th.

Complete stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3177/.
Jay Winter
VP for Outreach, PACE
CometCoach72
Wakka

Post by CometCoach72 »

The Iowa Quiz Bowl League is proud to announce the first Iowa Quiz Bowl Champions, with a tournament held at Waukee High School on Saturday, April 23, 2016.

Middle School Division: Holy Cross (Bishop Heelan Schools, Sioux City), coached by Sarah Swan
Small School Division: Bishop Heelan High School (Sioux City), coached by Ken Strouse
Open Division: Waukee High School, (which I am very fortunate to coach).

https://sites.google.com/site/iowaquizb ... mpionships contains the complete results, along with our All-State honorees. Stats for preliminary rounds are posted on the tournament database.

Our first year of operation was a great success, and we plan to do more in 2016-17. Thank you to the entire quiz bowl community for their support and well wishes as we try to establish a high level of competition here in the Hawkeye State.
Jay Winter
Greenville HS (IL) Scholastic Bowl Coach and Chief UN Translator for Math
Decatur MacArthur Class of 1990 - Illinois State Class of 1994 - MS Ed SIU Edwardsville 2010
Harley-Davidson owner since 2009
Fan of Good Questions