ACF Fall 2015 at NIU: 11/7/15 (IL-Area High School Mirror)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

ACF Fall 2015 at NIU: 11/7/15 (IL-Area High School Mirror)

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce the Illinois high school site of ACF Fall 2015, to be held at Northern Illinois University on Saturday, 7 November 2015. ACF Fall is the year's premier introductory-level collegiate quizbowl tournament, making it a premier tournament for advanced high school teams, and we do hope that you join us at this event. As the NIU teams will be playing ACF Fall at Northwestern, I, Brad Fischer, will serve as tournament coordinator, and will be joined by my wife, Kristin Strey, for day-of-event tournament direction. We thank ACF for their generous consideration; this will be the fourth year that NIU has hosted the Illinois-area high school ACF Fall mirror. We also thank Alec Krueger and the NIU QBA for their assistance in providing NIU's fantastic campus and volunteers for the event.

The tournament will take place in DuSable Hall on NIU's DeKalb campus; this is the usual building for our high school tournaments. Barring unusual circumstances, we'll start registration at 8:30 and kick off Round 1 at 9 AM. Tournament format is dependent on field size but will include pool play and the potential for advantaged finals; we expect to run somewhere between 11 and 13 rounds for all teams.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please write to me at [email protected] with team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information. This allows our site to know that you're attending, so that we can plan our event.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form at this site with all relevant information. This allows ACF to know that you're attending, so that they can settle packet writing requirements, entry fees, and other logistic requirements.

Both of these steps are required; please do them simultaneously. If you are interested in attending but cannot confirm your registration quite yet, feel free to e-mail me that information and I will unofficially hold a spot for you in the field; however, if the field fills with confirmed registrations before your expressed interest solidifies, I regret that you may not have a spot in the field.

Fees
Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems*: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International**: -$20

* No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
** For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.

Packet Writing
Recent ACF policy changes mean that high school teams do not write packets for ACF Fall.

Players interested in writing ACF-Fall level questions for money are encouraged to apply to write for NHBB.

Payment
Payment for ACF Fall will be processed through the ACF treasurer, Gautam Kandlikar. He will get in touch with you about how much your team owes, how to pay for the tournament, etc. Please contact Gautam with any questions regarding payment.

Teams that can not afford the $120 entry fee are encouraged to contact TD Brad Fischer to discuss possible discounts.

Note Regarding Highschool Teams
High school teams are no longer allowed to compete in Collegiate ACF Fall events, hence the existence of high school-only sites like ours. In addition to Illinois schools, we welcome schools from outside of Illinois to attend our event.

We are also seeking moderator assistance for this event; we can offer moderators breakfast, lunch, and a small honorarium for their help. If you're interested in reading, please let me know.

For more information, refer to the Global Announcement of ACF Fall 2015 or email the editors at [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you in November!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: ACF Fall 2015 at NIU: 11/7/15 (IL-Area High School Mirro

The above post has been edited with new information in accordance with ACF's policy changes regarding high school teams.

Field Update:
Auburn
Barrington
Bloomington
DCC (2)
Fremd
Hinsdale Central
IMSA
Macomb (2)
Naperville North
St. Joseph
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Based on moderator availability, we're going to lock the field at these 12 teams, with Fremd B on the waitlist should someone need to drop. If you're still interested in joining us, e-mail me.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple weeks!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

If you get enough teams to expand the field, I'd be happy to come down and help out.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Thanks to everyone who came out to play and staff today! Statistics are posted here.

Congratulations to Hinsdale Central, who beat Detroit Catholic Central A in a two-game advantaged final.

Thank you so much to everyone who staffed today: moderators Brad Fischer, Mike Laudermith, Andrew Nadig, Noah Prince, Ali Saeed, and Morgan Venkus; emergency moderators Ben Dillon and Franz Varga, who stepped up when two other mods were running late in round one; and dedicated scorekeeper and punmeister Kristie Bodak. You guys are amazing, and without you the day would not have gone as smoothly as it did.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder