Missouri Open Mirror at MSU

Old college threads.
ManlyHanley
Kimahri

Missouri Open Mirror at MSU

Post by ManlyHanley »

Michigan State University will be hosting a mirror of the Missouri Open set on Saturday, November 21st, 2015. All players are eligible. I will serve as tournament director for the event. If you would like to attend please email me at [email protected]. Full logistical information will be provided to registered teams before the tournament.

We'll most likely be hosting this tournament in Wells Hall. Registration will start at 8:30 and the first round will start at 9.

We'll be capping the field at 18 teams

Fees and discounts:
$120 per open team or $70 per team consisting of players from the same school (high school or collegiate)
-*$10 - WORKING buzzer system (at least four players on each side)
-$10 - Travel over 100 miles one way, as determined by Google maps
-$10 - Competent moderator (let us know if you would like to claim this discount and we will tell you if it is needed)

Minimum fee: $45 per open team or $25 per same-school team

We prefer payment by cash or check made out to "MSU Academic Competition Club" on the day of the tournament; if your school requires you to mail payment ahead of the tournament, please contact us and we can give you our mailing address. If you will not be able to pay until after the tournament, please let us know ahead of time.

* We are not taking any additional buzzer systems, sorry for the inconvenience.
Field: 13/18
DCC: 2
Notre Dame: 1
UChicago: 3
Horse: 1
U of M: 3
Northwestern: 1
Louisville: 1
Matt Lafer:1
Last edited by ManlyHanley on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Brian Hanley
MSU ACC/QB President
Michigan State University, 2017
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Missouri Open Mirror at MSU

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Could you please post field updates as you get them?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Louisville is playing at this site. I think somebody sent an email a few days ago about that.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

OP wrote:Horse: 1
I hope teams don't object to slamming hooves breaking their buzzers :lol:
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

Looking for two non-equine teammates.

Edit: Ike Jose has joined the team. One spot available!
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I should know more about this by the next weekend, but we might be willing to take on a free agent if we can only bring 3 players. You would only have to chip in the extra fee for making us be a non-collegiate team.

EDIT: Claimed by Morgan Venkus, pending me figuring out if all of Northwestern A can go or not.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

MLafer wrote:Looking for two non-equine teammates.

Ike said he talked to you about me taking that spot, and said that you were okay with that. Just wanted to double-check. :)
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

Vissi d'arte wrote:
MLafer wrote:Looking for two non-equine teammates.

Ike said he talked to you about me taking that spot, and said that you were okay with that. Just wanted to double-check. :)
Yes, Mr. Thompson is now our 4th.

Is there any chance SHAWARMA could be played after this tournament?
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Yes for the love of god please run SHAWARMA.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

So guys we're running SHAWARMA right
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

What's the format for this going to look like?

Also, hell yes we should run SHAWARMA. I would be in favor of reading the two rounds read at this year's NSC last since I, and presumably a few other people, played them there.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

Uh so where/when is this happening tomorrow?
Morgan Venkus
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Yeah, the tournament is in less than 12 hours so it would be cool to get an update on where to go or what the schedule is or anything to indicate the tournament is, in fact, still happening.

(I actually don't really care about any of that, but I do really want to confirm that we can run SHAWARMA).
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

As a word of advice, sometimes in life things don't go your way. It's an important life skill to learn how to deal with that reasonably instead of acting like a child.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote:As a word of advice, sometimes in life things don't go your way. It's an important life skill to learn how to deal with that reasonably instead of acting like a child.
And I slide up to Joe Nutter with a bottle of wine, a box of cookies and an ear dying for the dish. :)
TINA! BRING ME THE AXE!!!!

Sean Phillips
Boonville HS 00
WUSTL 04
SLU Law 07
Member MOQBA 2008-present
Is it wrong I like Boonville most of those 3?:)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote:As a word of advice, sometimes in life things don't go your way. It's an important life skill to learn how to deal with that reasonably instead of acting like a child.
Surely people tamely posting in this thread asking for an update would not remotely justify this response. I don't know who this is directed to (as no one does, because it's absurd, childish, passive-aggressive nonsense), but if it's worth making this post, it's worth being specific. Either way, it's probably best not to be dishing out advice on how people shouldn't act like children while making posts like this.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

DumbJaques wrote:
Surely people tamely posting in this thread asking for an update would not remotely justify this response. I don't know who this is directed to (as no one does, because it's absurd, childish, passive-aggressive nonsense), but if it's worth making this post, it's worth being specific. Either way, it's probably best not to dishing out advice on how people shouldn't act like children while making posts like this.
OK Chris, I wasn't going to mention you by name because I wasn't there, but since you apparently want me to, I heard from several people at the site that after a protest which didn't go in favor of your team (as ruled by the writer of the question, who they called), you were rude to them and refused to take the third place trophy. Now, if this was a miscommunication, that's great and I'm glad, but I can say that there were multiple people at the tournament who were offended, and, if what I heard is right, it's really rude - MSU went to the trouble of getting trophies for a college tournament, and for you to just say that "I don't want that" because you aren't happy with a protest resolution by someone who wasn't even there is inappropriate. There's nothing wrong with asking for information (and I've discussed providing more timely updates with MSU people for the future), it's what happened at the tournament that I was referring to.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Players at this site are welcome to discuss the protest resolution (or anything else about the set) in the MO 2015 subforum.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
University of Minnesota '20
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Oh, yeah, I see how that was taken the wrong way (though since you weren't there, you couldn't). A bunch of people were standing around after in a random game room, I was on my phone dealing with a professional emergency that had just come up, and someone appeared out my peripheral vision and handed me something wrapped in plastic and said it was the third place trophy. I had no idea what was happening, this wasn't an awards ceremony, etc. I did say I didn't want that, but in the context of like, not being the person on my team specifically who accepted the trophy (I honestly didn't even internalize it was an MSU staffer). Nor did I expect that I would be thought of as like, the official representative of the team. Had I realized it was the official giving-of-the -trophy, I certainly wouldn't have responded like that at all. Indeed, I was surprised to learn none of my teammates had picked it up, as I had assumed what had happened was that I'd merely passed the buck on to one of them standing next to me. I'm certainly sorry that it was taken the other way by MSU, who ran a tournament with some issues but seemed to be trying very hard and (one moderator aside) were quite good natured all day. Sorry, dudes.

As for you, Joe Nutter... Like, really? You chose to make a middle schooler vaguebook post calling someone out (in which you, in a feat of herculean hypocrisy, admonish someone else for acting childish)? a thing you had no firsthand information about at all? Surely an email or something would have been better here (I also wouldn't have begrudged MSU for making this post, as I totally understand how it came off poorly). But you weren't even there! You have no idea what you're talking about (a statement whose applicability is undoubtedly quite broad). Even if you were right, this would still have been really dumb and presumptive. Perhaps in the future it would behoove you to avoid combining such high degrees of derision and ignorance - or, at least, confine them to D-list quizbowl Who-Wore-It-Bests.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

OK dude, if you'd rather, next time I hear from someone else who has a problem with you that, if correct, needs to be addressed, I'll publicly call you out by name. I'm sure you'd prefer public accusations to be thrown about than I use reasonable discretion when discussing something I wasn't at.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
thereisafield
Kimahri

Post by thereisafield »

As a moderator at this tournament, this is not what I heard. When attempting to give someone a trophy, the response, "why would I want this," is very difficult to interpret in any way other than rudeness especially given the events that had just transpired. Claiming to not recognize that it was an MSU staffer who approached you also seems rather suspect as it was the tournament director who you had interacted with several times throughout the day on behalf of your team.
Sarah Wrase
MSU '18
At least they know I know where France is
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Various in-person disputes aside, are there any updates as to who won the tournament?

EDIT: stats comment redacted, since that was kind of obnoxious
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

thereisafield wrote:As a moderator at this tournament, this is not what I heard. When attempting to give someone a trophy, the response, "why would I want this," is very difficult to interpret in any way other than rudeness especially given the events that had just transpired. Claiming to not recognize that it was an MSU staffer who approached you also seems rather suspect as it was the tournament director who you had interacted with several times throughout the day on behalf of your team.
As I said, I was extremely distracted when this happened did not realize what was going on. There was a crowd of people all milling about chaotically, there was nothing resembling an awards ceremony (which was, frankly, one of several things this tournament should have done but did not). I do understand how this came off, and I sincerely apologize. It was certainly not my intention, and had I realized this was an official trophy presentation, I would obviously not have responded that way. This was a result of inattentiveness and exhaustion, not any sort of antipathy; I think I probably assumed that I'd MISSED the presentation, and someone was just handing this thing to me to physically take home. But again, I'm sorry for how it came off, as it was very much not my intention and I appreciate the effort you guys put in, particularly given how young the team is this year.

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote:OK dude, if you'd rather, next time I hear from someone else who has a problem with you that, if correct, needs to be addressed, I'll publicly call you out by name. I'm sure you'd prefer public accusations to be thrown about than I use reasonable discretion when discussing something I wasn't at.
The fact that you believe your post in this thread to constitute "reasonable discretion" is fairly definitive proof that you should not be the person to address any potentially serious issues, and, indeed, should probably be kept away from such situations at all cost.

Of course I would prefer public accusations against me be made in a clear and straightforward manner! Did you really just sarcastically mock the premise that someone wouldn't want public criticism of them to be whiny, insulting, passive-aggressive, and so completely ambiguous that it precludes any possibility of productive discussion? Perhaps YOU would prefer such accusations to be so oblique and childish you can't even tell who they're about, but that is because you're a moron.

What I would "rather," Joe Nutter, is that the next time you hear that someone has a problem with yet a third party over something that you have zero knowledge about, you decide NOT to insert yourself as a counterproductive tool who fails to solve the problem and, in fact, creates many more. I recognize that presumptively jumping in when you have no idea what is happening is a habit you will assuredly find hard to break. Still, it seems like a better strategy than what you've been doing so far.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

chris ray when is your mixtape dropping
Morgan Venkus
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

ManlyHanley wrote: * We are not taking any additional buzzer systems, sorry for the inconvenience.
prescient
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

I think this tournament can teach us that it's never a bad thing to take in too many buzzer sets. Please don't tell teams to not bring buzzer sets, slap bowl makes quiz bowl less fun:(
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

No seriously why did anyone decide don't take in more buzzers? Did you just want to tempt fate or are you slow?

Sean Phillips
Boonville HS 00
WUSTL 04
SLU Law 07
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Jeremy Gibbs Paradox wrote:No seriously why did anyone decide don't take in more buzzers? Did you just want to tempt fate or are you slow?

Ok, so, yeah, you should never turn down buzzers or moderators. But this isn't fair. To my knowledge most (all?) of the people running this tournament were doing so for the first time. You don't have to be slow or malicious to make a mistake or two. More importantly, the TD readily acknowledged that this was a mistake and apologized, so we probably don't need to further admonish anyone. While there were some logistics issues (not getting an update email/post was a big one), almost everyone at this site seemed earnest, diligent, and (perhaps my favorite quality in tournament staffers) responsive to feedback from teams. You could do a lot worse for your first tournament. Hell, if you manage to avoid 3 rooms full of South Carolinian vomit and a knife-wielding staffer your first time out, you have for instance done better than me.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Louisville didn't play a game with buzzers until Round 5 today. While I understand that sometimes bad things happen, I really think this stemmed from a lack of communication between those running the tournament and the teams attending. Never turn buzzers away, and in this specific case, knowing that not all the buzzers they assumed were coming helped lead to this problem. The lack of a logistic email until 2:30 the morning of the tournament is a related symptom of this issue.

I know that many of MSU's players are young and haven't hosted much before. So maybe they are still learning some things, and that's fine. It doesn't excuse your mistakes nor mean you shouldn't be criticized for making them, but overall this is constructive criticism. The community likes it when Michigan State hosts tournaments and wants to see it happen again. Fixing problems when they happen will ensure that the product you offer as a tournament host will become better, not only making teams happier, but helping you guys have teams come back in the future.

I would also like to second Chris's comment that most of the tournament staff legitimately seemed forthright about the fact mistakes were made and seemed like they wanted to fix them. Honestly when I realized we were playing a tournament where somehow we didn't have buzzers in two rooms, I was worried we would face a litany of other problems throughout the day. Yet the moderators were fine and most of my worries were unfounded.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

DumbJaques wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox wrote:No seriously why did anyone decide don't take in more buzzers? Did you just want to tempt fate or are you slow?
Hell, if you manage to avoid 3 rooms full of South Carolinian vomit and a knife-wielding staffer your first time out, you have for instance done better than me.
OK I definitely want to hear this story. Second, while I phrased that probably harsher than I should the point remains, why did it get to that level? At what point was it worth it to stop offering a discount that let's face it is nominal, when I would think common sense would dictate being prepared and having more buzzers than one needs. I'm trying to think of a thread that explicitly said "Nah we are good on buzzers. No more please." Coming up blank here.

Sean Phillips
Boonville HS 00
WUSTL 04
SLU Law 07
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

After the tournament, multiple MSU people told me you had acted extremely rudely towards them. It's up to them whether to accept your apology, but I knew that none of them are very active on the forums (as evidenced by the poor communication about the tournament) and weren't going to call you out. I think that behavior like they described should be called out, but since I wasn't there I didn't want to publicly discredit your name. You're right that I should have been a little bit more direct and specified the childish behavior, but I will stand by my decision to confront bad behavior without spreading your name on the internet for something I wasn't there for.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
ManlyHanley
Kimahri

Post by ManlyHanley »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in stats but it appears that in the chaos that was the final round the U of M A vs. U of M C score sheet was left with the moderator. Since it would impact the top scorer I will post the individuals tomorrow when they are able to get it to me. Thank you to everyone for coming out and I promise that the next tournament I run will go a lot smoother. Other than the individuals if there is anything I'm missing please let me know.
Attachments
oulvh-pj9p0.pdf
Team Details
(214.16 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
594wv-oxtd0.pdf
Standings
(32.23 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
Brian Hanley
MSU ACC/QB President
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Auroni Gunta!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Cheynem wrote:Auroni Gunta!
Can we call the Michigan team the _Auroni Junta_ now?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

It appears that we have another Hoppes-Mikanowski sighting.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Guroni Aunta
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

theMoMA wrote:It appears that we have another Hoppes-Mikanowski sighting.
You gotta divide by 1.2, no? Since the games were played on 24 TU packets.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

The original Hoppes-Mikanowski performance was on NAQT's old fall set, which I have to assume had 24 (possibly even 26) questions per packet. The QBWiki page (which I've just edited) says that the limit "is broken when two players on the same team each score above 70 ppg in any format." (Based on my investigation of quizbowl history to revise the page, it appears that none of the H-M performances would have been possible without powers, more than 20 tossups per packet, or both.)
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

theMoMA wrote:The original Hoppes-Mikanowski performance was on NAQT's old fall set, which I have to assume had 24 (possibly even 26) questions per packet.
28, actually.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote:After the tournament, multiple MSU people told me you had acted extremely rudely towards them. It's up to them whether to accept your apology, but I knew that none of them are very active on the forums (as evidenced by the poor communication about the tournament) and weren't going to call you out. I think that behavior like they described should be called out, but since I wasn't there I didn't want to publicly discredit your name.
Good lord, I honestly can't tell if you're just trying to save some face here, or if you somehow actually believe this shit.

Based on your posts in this thread, we are left to conclude that the Joe Nutter thought process consists of:
1. I heard about some bad behavior!
2. The people who actually know what happened probably won't call it out, yet I clearly believe that such behavior needs to be addressed (never mind that I have a curious conception of what "addressed" means as it apparently requires neither establishing who did something nor what was actually done).
3. IF NOT ME THEN WHO???
4. Except... hmm, I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. Maybe I should get more information? Encourage people who actually were there to do something? Contact the person privately and express concern - especially considering we're members of the same organization? Anything remotely reasonable like that?
5. HAHAHAHA FUCK THAT, LET'S ANONYMOUSLY "CALL OUT" SOMEONE'S BAD BEHAVIOR WITHOUT ACTUALLY SPECIFYING THE PERSON OR THE BEHAVIOR, OH ALSO LET'S REMARK ON SOMEONE ELSE'S LACK OF MATURITY WHILE LITERALLY CALLING THEM NAMES ON THE INTERNET. JOE NUTTER 4 LYFE.

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote: You're right that I should have been a little bit more direct and specified the childish behavior, but I will stand by my decision to confront bad behavior without spreading your name on the internet for something I wasn't there for.
Of course you do. And that's the problem. You actually believe you were confronting malfeasance while exhibiting discretion, when in reality you were blundering about ineptly while failing to do anything productive at all. This whole thing was and continues to be absurd; you're taking the responsibility of speaking for people, despite not having any idea what actually happened. You did so in a presumptuous and derisive way that, were it not for happenstance of posting order, would never have resulted in any productive discussion whatsover. Clearly some folks at MSU were legitimately upset, and I completely understand why. But rather than the focus being on the tournament staffers and I having a hopefully productive dialogue about what happened, they're brought into your passive-aggressive crap and I have to spend time explaining to you the disconnect between Nutter World and reality.

All of this is quite reminiscent of your actions at the NSC talk, about which I've heard multiple coaches and players express incredulity that they listened to extended Joe Nutter monologues, despite you being the only person on the panel who had accomplished absolutely nothing of note in quizbowl. Perhaps in the future you should accept that there are situations where you really don't know what you're talking about, and, even if you weren't so ill-informed, that things would still be much better if you didn't jump in and subject everyone to that particular Nutter touch.

EDIT: It's since been communicated to me that the panel situation was probably more the product of design failure than anything you did, so as that point was unfounded I withdraw it with my apologies (what a radical idea! If only there were some way that admitting a mistake could have precluded all this nonsense...).
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Hopefully the participants in this discussion will submit to a small bit of adminsplaining.

It seems as though various MSU people took offense to actions that, under Chris's explanation, were not meant to offend. Chris has now explained those actions in detail, hopefully to the satisfaction of the folks at MSU. Perhaps it would have been better for MSU to address any issues they had themselves, or for Joe to address them more directly, but it seems as though things that might otherwise have gone unaddressed have been addressed, and this seems good to me. I hope that we can move past the issue of whether Joe brought these issues up in the ideal manner now that the underlying issues appear to be working their way to resolution.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Can we instead ask MSU to please fix the stat report, which shows Michigan A with a forfeit in the first round
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
ManlyHanley
Kimahri

Post by ManlyHanley »

The forfeit should be in the 11th round and the Loser in that should be Michigan C. The stat sheet was lost in the chaos of the last round as I have previously stated and I'm working to correct it. I will check if there is another forfeit that accidentally got in there.
Brian Hanley
MSU ACC/QB President
ManlyHanley
Kimahri

Post by ManlyHanley »

Actually I see what I did. I forgot to enter in the round so it marked it as round zero. Also if anyone else has the score of that match and/or the individual scores that would be very helpful
Brian Hanley
MSU ACC/QB President
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Can these stats not be uploaded normally? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't even access the individual detail page, for instance.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Post by Emperor Pupienus »

DumbJaques wrote:Can these stats not be uploaded normally? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't even access the individual detail page, for instance.
It has since been uploaded to hsqb.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14
University of Chicago '18

Food or not food?