Halloween Academic Contest at Kenyon (HACK) - 10/31

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
deserto
Wakka

Halloween Academic Contest at Kenyon (HACK) - 10/31

Post by deserto »

On behalf of Kenyon College Quiz Bowl, I’m pleased to announce our intention to host the Halloween Academic Contest at Kenyon (HACK), a mirror of the regular-difficulty tournament CALI (info here: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=17412), on Saturday, Oct. 31 — costumes welcome! Kenyon is in Gambier, Ohio, an hour and 15 minutes northeast of Columbus.

The tournament will take place in Ascension Hall, a four-story Gothic building in the heart of campus. (Unfortunately, Ascension is not handicap-accessible.) Registration will be from 8:15-9 a.m., with the opening meeting starting promptly at 9. We will break for lunch after a preliminary round robin and re-bracket teams for the afternoon playoffs. We plan to wrap up the tournament by 6 p.m. Teams will have the opportunity to play a minimum of 10 matches over the course of the day.

Fee structure

$70 for a school’s first team
$50 for each subsequent team
- $10 per functional (i.e., at least eight units that light up and make noise) buzzer set
- $10 per experienced moderator
- $10 per 100 miles of one-way travel
Minimum fee per team: $40

(If your program is new to quiz bowl or under heavy financial constraints, we’d be glad to consider granting you a discount if it would enable you to attend. Just let me know!)

Payment — check or cash — is required on or before the day of the tournament. We will supply invoices upon request. Checks should be made out to Kenyon College; if you’d like to mail yours, send it to me at P.O. Box 1011, Gambier, OH 43022.

To register, please contact me at g.brisontrezise @ Google’s email service with your school’s name, number of teams, and whatever discounts you plan to claim.

Due to space constraints, we will be capping the field at 16 teams — first come, first serve.
Last edited by deserto on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Re: Halloween Academic Contest at Kenyon (HACK) - 10/31

Post by deserto »

Schools (teams; buzzers; moderators)

Divine Child (Mich.) (2; 1; 0)
Olentangy Liberty (3; 2; 1)
Olmsted Falls (1; 0; 0)
Sidney (1; 1; 0)
Smithville (2; 1; 0)
Solon (2; 1-2; 0)

Total: 11 teams
Last edited by deserto on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

Bump! We hope to see you on Halloween for a spooky day of quiz bowl :shock:
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

Bump for field update. Please email me if you have any interest in attending HACK.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

One last call for registrations — please email me if your team is interested in attending HACK! Note that we've lowered the registration cost for additional teams from a school to $50.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
crbirdx

Post by crbirdx »

We'll send a 2nd team.
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

Thanks to everyone who attended HACK today! Stats are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

Pleased to announce HACK has received platinum qualifier status for PACE NSC. The coaches of the tournament's top three finishers, Solon A, Sidney, and Olentangy Liberty A, should be receiving emails from PACE soon confirming their qualification for NSC. Thanks again for attending HACK!
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire