ICT invitations

Old college threads.
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

ICT invitations

Post by Leo Wolpert »

For reference, here's the Div I and Div II lists.

Let the bitching and/or potential ranking of the fields commence.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

The following teams played as Undergrad at SCT and have qualified for ICT:

Ottawa
McGill
Chicago B
Truman State
Carleton A
Wisconsin
Carleton B
Williams
Harvard
Harding

Of course, due to the disorganized and informal nature of the UG "division", its likely that this will not be the actual list of undergrad teams at ICT. For instance, last year Chicago B was Undergrad at SCT, and then added David Press at ICT and became just a regular Div I team.

Anyone know if any UG SCT teams plan to add a graduate, or of any Div I teams becoming UG for ICT?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

Quick ICT Predictions:

1. Illinois
2. Chicago A

dropoff here

3. Brown

dropoff here

Some order of Virginia (if they keep Leo Wolberg instead of that horrible Leo Wolpert), Princeton, UNC, Yale, and UCLA. Weiner/VCU is worth mentioning, in spite of his SCT showing, and if the Harvard team that went 5-7 at SCT was playing at less than full strength, they should be in this group too.

Basically, after Illinois, Chicago, and Brown, all the teams look to be diluted from their full potential, so it looks like we'll have an almost lock for the top 3, and everything after that will be an interesting dogfight.
"They sometimes get fooled by the direction a question is going to take, and that's intentional," said Reid. "The players on these teams are so good that 90 percent of the time they could interrupt the question and give the correct answer if the questions didn't take those kinds of turns. That wouldn't be fun to watch, so every now and then as I design these suckers, I say to myself, 'Watch this!' and wait 'til we're on camera. I got a lot of dirty looks this last tournament."
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

I wish someone had posted the list here... NAQT's website has had a lot of downtime lately, it seems, and it's offline right now.

Guess I'll wait...
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:I wish someone had posted the list here...
One spot is currently being reserved for a potential British participant.

* British Columbia
* Brown
* Cal-Berkeley
* Carleton College
* Carnegie Mellon
* Chicago A
* Chicago B
* Florida
* Georgia
* Harding
* Harvard
* Illinois
* McGill
* Michigan
* Minnesota
* North Carolina
* Ottawa
* Princeton
* Simon Fraser
* Southern Cal
* Stanford
* Texas
* Texas A&M
* Tulsa
* UCLA
* Vanderbilt
* Virginia
* Virginia Commonwealth
* Williams
* Wisconsin
* Yale

The top teams on the Division I waitlist are:

1. Rochester
2. Rutgers
3. Carleton College
4. Dartmouth
5. South Florida
6. Columbia
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:I wish someone had posted the list here...
D2 ...

* Amherst
* Bevill State CC-Jasper
* Broward CC
* Caltech
* Carleton College
* Chicago
* Cloud County CC
* Columbia
* Faulkner State
* Florida State
* George Washington
* Georgia
* Grinnell
* Hamline
* Harvard
* Johns Hopkins
* Louisiana-Lafayette
* Manatee CC
* Maryland
* Michigan
* NYU
* Oklahoma
* Oxford College
* Queen's
* Penn
* Princeton A
* Princeton B
* Snead State CC
* Stanford
* Valencia CC
* Vanderbilt
* Virginia

The top teams on the four-year Division II waitlist are:

1. Southern Virginia
2. UCLA
3. Oklahoma State
4. Florida
5. Dartmouth

The top teams on the two-year Division II waitlist are:

1. South Georgia College
2. Valencia CC
3. Central Florida CC
4. Indian River CC
5. Bainbridge College
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
Llanowan
Lulu

Post by Llanowan »

Glad to see NYU got a D2 invite, they were playing very well and were at like 7-1 or something with very high scores when they had to leave because of the storm. They sorta dodged the harder teams in the afternoon, but they should definitely (I think) still get a chance. Glad to see NAQT's secret forumla doing something right.
miamiqb
Lulu

Post by miamiqb »

man, if I had beaten SVU I would be on that waitlist and probably would be going to ICT. Oh well...How bout Div 2?
Of the teams I have seen Princeton and FSU are good. Harvard is supposedly tops.

EDIT: adding Stanford and Caltech (aka Noah) to my mental list. Thanks Raj.
Last edited by miamiqb on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to eat peanut butter
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

I was rather disappointed that Florida not only didn't get a D2 bid, but ended up 4th on the waitlist. With a ppb of 18.27 and a good overall performance, I thought they'd at least be ahead of teams like NYU and Southern Virginia, who were (by record, at least) 7th and 8th in their sectional. (No offense intended to either of those teams.) Florida B only had about 2 powers per match, so maybe that was deemed a significant stat. Oh well. It could be useful data for anyone trying to reverse-engineer the "S-values" or whatever those things are called.

--Raj Dhuwalia

P.S. And in reply to Jay, the best D2 numbers came from Stanford, which not only had the highest bonus average but had 3 players with over 42ppg. Stanford and Caltech were both around 5.5 powers per game, which were the highest numbers by a fair margin. So I'd add those to the teams you mentioned above.

P.P.S. Amherst did very well in D2 -- do they have some former HS star player?
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
miamiqb
Lulu

Post by miamiqb »

NotBhan wrote:I was rather disappointed that Florida not only didn't get a D2 bid, but ended up 4th on the waitlist. With a ppb of 18.27 and a good overall performance, I thought they'd at least be ahead of teams like NYU and Southern Virginia, who were (by record, at least) 7th and 8th in their sectional. (No offense intended to either of those teams.) Florida B only had about 2 powers per match, so maybe that was deemed a significant stat. Oh well. It could be useful data for anyone trying to reverse-engineer the "S-values" or whatever those things are called.

--Raj Dhuwalia
Raj, as a guy who has competed pretty much solo in the Southeast and the Mid-Atlantic I have to say that the Div2 crop this year was much tougher in the latter region. Princeton (x 2 teams), Johns Hopkins, and Penn will all probably be competing for the Div2 crown at ICT. After that GW A and Virginia were solid teams. NYU should probably be up there with the big 3 but left early because of the snow. And SVU finished with a solid performance (though you have to ask me sometime about the story of the round against them...grrr...it was frustrating).
Meanwhile the only Div2 team I saw that really, really impressed me (of course this could have changed since the fall) was FSU (watch out for them). No offense to other Florida teams, but FSU is clearly the cream of the crop. After that it is murky.
UF probably should be higher on the wait list with that bonus conversion...but the tossup stats were much higher in Mid-Atlantic if you compare them (as I did out of curiosity). Don't worry...I am sure they will wind up going (unlike me).
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

This is a slightly insignificant complaint, but why did Rochester receive a DI waitlist spot (the top waitlist spot, incidentally) and Virginia B didn't? Both took part in the Eastern sectional at College Park. Virginia B was 2-0 against Rochester (Virginia B was 9-4 overall, while Rochester was 6-7 overall), and had higher PPG, PPTH, and total powers and fewer negs. Virginia B also has a win over a qualifying team (Princeton) while Rochester had no such wins. The only stats/facts I see in Rochester's favor are a higher bonus conversion (.05 PPB more), and the fact that Rochester is an undergraduate qualifier while Virginia B isn't. Does being UG really provide that much of an advantage for qualifying?
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

This was addressed on the other board, but the Rochester that qualified for the ICT is presumably Fred Bush playing solo in the Southwest SCT.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

EDIT - what she said
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Irrespective of the two Rochesters issue, it used to be considered common wisdom that B teams received some sort of derogatory multiplier onto their S values that made it more difficult for them to qualify. Of course, this may have been baseless all along, or may have once been true and since changed, since NAQT chooses not to reveal exactly how one qualifies for the ICT (a silly practice that ought to end). However, the possibility should be taken into account when assessing Virginia B's likelihood of qualifying.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Silly practice or not, NAQT has the right to invite people with whatever proprietary metric they see fit. Sure I wish there were more transparency, but it's probably not the most critical problem NAQT faces with their ICT program.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
your mom
Lulu

Post by your mom »

Looks like it's a reasonably safe bet to toss Michigan into the UG melting pot. Will Turner and I are the entire team as of now, and it's unclear as to me if we will have any other players joining us. If we do, they will almost certainly be undergrads as well.

I'd say we'll make at least a little noise among the UG eligible teams, though I doubt we'll seriously contest for the UG title.

Look forward to seeing everyone in Maryland.

David
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

It looks like Florida will also be going as an UG team with David and Stephen from the SCT team and Amy Harvey and a yet unnamed player.

I'm also quite curious as to how certain Div II teams are ahead of Florida on the waitlist.

And to Jay, this UF team was very different than the UF teams you played at Novice at USF, although it's still not to the level of the FSU team at full strength in my opinion. In case anyone cares, the FSU team was missing one of their "big three" for SCT, who may or may not be going with them to ICT.
miamiqb
Lulu

Post by miamiqb »

MCDoug wrote: And to Jay, this UF team was very different than the UF teams you played at Novice at USF, although it's still not to the level of the FSU team at full strength in my opinion. In case anyone cares, the FSU team was missing one of their "big three" for SCT, who may or may not be going with them to ICT.
I thought the Div2 team might be different since it was split up at USF Novice. That is why I qualified my answer (just from what I have seen). Good luck at ICT
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

Chris Frankel wrote:if the Harvard team that went 5-7 at SCT was playing at less than full strength, they should be in this group too.

This team was just two people; one was Paco and apologies to the other whose name I have forgotten.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

This was addressed on the other board, but the Rochester that qualified for the ICT is presumably Fred Bush playing solo in the Southwest SCT.
OK, that makes sense. Sorry if I sounded bitchy.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

jagluski wrote:
Chris Frankel wrote:if the Harvard team that went 5-7 at SCT was playing at less than full strength, they should be in this group too.

This team was just two people; one was Paco and apologies to the other whose name I have forgotten.
The other member of Harvard's Div I team was Frank Kelly, who was very sick most of the day and who could stand up only because our Div II team kept him well supplied with Advil. A healthy Frank and a full squad will be much better if they can all make it to the ICT. I've never posted here before, but I do so now because I think Frank and Paco deserve some sort of commendation regarding the SCT. When it became clear that we would only be able to rent a car that seated five people, they insisted that we take three people for the Div II team, even though in the end that left the Div I team with a losing record. The full (healthy) squad is much better than that and I'm just glad that their generosity toward us did not cost them an ICT invitation in the end.

Regarding the previous discussion of Amherst's Div II team, it was led by Ben Bishop, who played with me last year in high school (Lakeside, WA). Ben played a great game at the SCT in order to beat my team the second time we played, which was, I think, one of his major goals in attending the tournament. Several of his other teammates were good as well, but alas I don't remember their names. A hearty congratulations to them for a well-played tournament.

- Kyle (of Harvard's Div II team)
Last edited by Kyle on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Kyle wrote: The other member of Harvard's Div I team was Frank Kelly, who was very sick most of the day and who could stand up only because our Div II team kept him well supplied with Advil. A healthy Frank and a full squad will be much better if they can all make it to the ICT. I've never posted here before, but I do so now because I think Frank and Paco deserve some sort of commendation regarding the ICT. When it became clear that we would only be able to rent a car that seated five people, they insisted that we take three people for the Div II team, even though in the end that left the Div I team with a losing record. The full (healthy) squad is much better than that and I'm just glad that their generosity toward us did not cost them an ICT invitation in the end.
The full Harvard team, if I'm not mistaken, is typically Frank (healthy), Paco, and Will. I think that same team would do better at ACF than at NAQT, but I'm certain they can finish in the top 10 and break top 5 if they have a good tournament. I'm glad they made it to the ICT.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
MiltonPlayer47
Wakka

Post by MiltonPlayer47 »

FSU will not have its "big three" at ICT. It will most likely be Alford, Beyer, Buckey, and a fourth player to be determined later.
Steven Hanley
FSU (2004-2006)
UGA (2007-2009)
samer
Lulu

Post by samer »

Matt Weiner wrote:Irrespective of the two Rochesters issue, it used to be considered common wisdom that B teams received some sort of derogatory multiplier onto their S values that made it more difficult for them to qualify. Of course, this may have been baseless all along, or may have once been true and since changed, since NAQT chooses not to reveal exactly how one qualifies for the ICT (a silly practice that ought to end). However, the possibility should be taken into account when assessing Virginia B's likelihood of qualifying.
Back when I was doing prognostications for the ICT qualification (around 2001 or so), I did not include any such penalties in the computations, and still got surprisingly accurate results.

And, AFAIK, there is no such penalty in the S-value system, either.
samer dot ismail -at- gmail dot com / Samer Ismail, PACE co-founder, NAQT editor
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Is Sam Lederer playing for Harvard Quizbowl? He and Jacob seem to have not continued in college.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

No, they are not.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

A little late, but it looks like I am playing at NAQT nationals, although I've been to no other tournaments all year.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

jewtemplar wrote:A little late, but it looks like I am playing at NAQT nationals, although I've been to no other tournaments all year.
Div1 or Div2?
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

Div II.