COTTAGE Bowl 2: Specific Question Discussion

Old college threads.
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

COTTAGE Bowl 2: Specific Question Discussion

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

Please leave any comments/questions about specific questions below.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
adosreme
Rikku

Re: Specific Question Discussion

Post by adosreme »

(Moved from general discussion) Here are a few comments that I remember overhearing/was told on Sunday:

- Ben buzzed early in the first line of the OK Computer tossup but got negged because he didn't know they were looking for an album
- The pack 15 Beatles bonus says that Get Back is on Abbey Road when it's on Let It Be
- Shelby buzzed on the time travel tossup and listed the actual carnival games that the characters won on the episode of Gravity Falls
- Dennis said that there was a lot of golf and some of the sports years questions were not memorable enough to be more than a coin flip even by the end (he specifically pointed out the one on Sidney Crosby's draft year as an example)
- If the Neighbours bonus says that Kylie Minogue was a judge on both the US and UK versions of The X Factor in 2014, then it should say The Voice instead

These are the ones that I remember off the top of my head.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

A spreadsheet with all the music answer lines can be found here for your interest:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The intended split for the 4/4 music is 1/1 pop, 1/1 rock, 1/1 R&B/Hip Hop/Rap/Soul/etc., 1/1 other with approximately 50% post-2000s, 25% 1990s, and 25% older. Some of the answer lines may bleed over (e.g. Foster The People was counted as Pop rather than rock, M.I.A. is counted as Hip Hop et al. rather than pop)

I also wrote the following non-music tossups: Saiorse Ronan, Whiplash, Nashville, John Travolta, Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan, Mrs. Doubtfire.

Any comments/criticisms/other feedback would be very much appreciated.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

Some comments:
  • -I second Dennis's comment on the use of years as answerlines for sports questions.

-Similarly, the "2007 Fiesta Bowl" tossup probably should have accepted the names of the teams in place of the year up to a certain point, since Boise State and Oklahoma have only played each other in the Fiesta Bowl once. Wouldn't have prevented my neg though :mad:

-I believe one pack contained tossups on Lesean McCoy and Claude Giroux, both best known for playing in Philadelphia. That pack might also have included a bonus part on yet another Philadelphia athlete, Ryan Howard. This sort of thing with a bunch of sports questions on the same city in one pack probably shouldn't happen.

-The chart position of a song that did not hit #1 is a useful clue to like 2 people, and one of them wrote the music for this tournament. There probably were better clues to use.

-This set was exactly as advertized: Fun.
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

I'm only qualified to comment on sports. Most of my broad comments on that are already in this thread through other people; the only thing that I'd say is that the golf seemed jarring in part due to being in back-to-back rounds. Over 15 rounds, I don't think two golf questions is absurd...that said, I'm curious what the breakdown of the "other sports" distribution was.

Yes, I think that some of the year questions were a bad idea when they weren't particularly memorable (most notably Sidney Crosby's draft year). I'd also say that they're pretty much a guaranteed dead tossup in a game where people aren't familiar with the sport being asked (and that's not good).

That said, I think that asking about the 2007 Fiesta Bowl is a perfect example of where you are justified in asking for a year - it's a seminal college football game that showed that the little guys could play with the BCS schools. For a similar example, I felt completely justified putting in the '72 Dolphins in OHT a couple years back.

Other comments to come offline (per discussion with Nick).
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
The Schopenhauer Power Hour
Lulu

Post by The Schopenhauer Power Hour »

aswift wrote: -Similarly, the "2007 Fiesta Bowl" tossup probably should have accepted the names of the teams in place of the year up to a certain point, since Boise State and Oklahoma have only played each other in the Fiesta Bowl once. Wouldn't have prevented my neg though :mad:
FWIW my understanding is that's the standard for tossups on specific games like this-- year and event, or teams and event if the latter is uniquely identifying.
Logan Anbinder
University of Maryland '12
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

Name some things about March Madness 2015, for 10 points each:
[10] This team topped Wisconsin in the National Championship Game to win March Madness 2015. Led by Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow, this school’s victory gave Coach Mike Krzyzewski [shu-shev-ski] his 5th championship.
ANSWER: Duke Blue Devils (accept either underlined part)
[10] Despite losing the final, this Wisconsin power forward was named to the team of the tournament. The National College Player of the Year for 2015, he was drafted 9th overall by the Hornets in the 2015 NBA draft.
ANSWER: Frank “The Tank” Kaminsky (accept either underlined part)
[10] This team upset Baylor on a last second three pointer, but lost to Xavier in the second round. Led by coach Ron Hunter and his son RJ Hunter, this school previously upset Wisconsin in the 2001 tournament
ANSWER: Georgia Southern Panthers (accept either underlined part)
The third part of this bonus is wrong; the correct answer should be Georgia State.
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

Kalevipoeg wrote:
Name some things about March Madness 2015, for 10 points each:
[10] This team topped Wisconsin in the National Championship Game to win March Madness 2015. Led by Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow, this school’s victory gave Coach Mike Krzyzewski [shu-shev-ski] his 5th championship.
ANSWER: Duke Blue Devils (accept either underlined part)
[10] Despite losing the final, this Wisconsin power forward was named to the team of the tournament. The National College Player of the Year for 2015, he was drafted 9th overall by the Hornets in the 2015 NBA draft.
ANSWER: Frank “The Tank” Kaminsky (accept either underlined part)
[10] This team upset Baylor on a last second three pointer, but lost to Xavier in the second round. Led by coach Ron Hunter and his son RJ Hunter, this school previously upset Wisconsin in the 2001 tournament
ANSWER: Georgia Southern Panthers (accept either underlined part)
The third part of this bonus is wrong; the correct answer should be Georgia State.

This is entirely my fault. It was point out shortly before the two most recent mirrors and has since been correct. My apologies!
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

I don't know if these were bad judgments calls or bad underlining.

- We didn't get any credit for saying "33" instead of "The 33". We were not asked to be more specific.
- We didn't get any credit for "Lee" for the victim of the murder in the first season of "Serial".

As an opinion, I think the 2007 Fiesta Bowl should have had a warning of "Year Also Required" at the beginning.