MUT @ McMaster - 03/19/2016

Old college threads.
TheMourningPaper
Lulu

MUT @ McMaster - 03/19/2016

Post by TheMourningPaper »

McMaster University is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of MUT (Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament) on March 19th, 2016. The tournament will likely be held in the McMaster University Student Centre (MUSC). The tournament starts at 9:00am; plan to arrive for 8:30am so we can start in a timely fashion.

For more information about the set, the original announcement can be found here.

Cost
$135 per team (Minimum Fee: $60/team)

Discounts
-$5 per set of working buzzers
-$10 per moderator
-$10 per 321.87 km (or 200 miles) traveled one way from your school to McMaster University

Please register by contacting us at [email protected]. Please include pertinent information such as number of buzzer sets / staff members you (at least tentatively) plan to bring - you can let us know later if things change.

Thanks, and hope to see you all here!

Current Field
Waterloo A
McGill
Waterloo B
Toronto
Last edited by TheMourningPaper on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian Luong
McMaster University 2016

Eternal office serf.
Will QA for rent.
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Re: MUT @ McMaster - 03/19/2016

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

Waterloo has registered a second team.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Are there going to be any side events at this tournament?
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

adosreme wrote:Are there going to be any side events at this tournament?
Issac Thiessen has stated that Christmas Present is available, so we might try to mirror that. It depends on how efficient we can be at finishing MUT and how many people are actually interested in playing Christmas Present/other mirrors.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Sigurd
Lulu

Post by Sigurd »

Peter13 wrote:
adosreme wrote:Are there going to be any side events at this tournament?
Issac Thiessen has stated that Christmas Present is available, so we might try to mirror that. It depends on how efficient we can be at finishing MUT and how many people are actually interested in playing Christmas Present/other mirrors.
I'd be happy to organize a Christmas present event. If people want to form (doubles) teams and send them to me I can make up a schedule for that.

Edit: Team formation Spreadsheet
goo.gl/89eXmM
Isaac Thiessen
Martingrove CI 2015
Waterloo 2020
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

As some people have been worried about the cost per person for shorthanded teams, I have decided to allow a $15 discount per player shorthanded (i.e. $90 for one player, $105 for two, $120 for three). This can be added on with additional discounts up to the minimum (which is $60).

The tournament shall start at 9:00am, so I expect people come by at least 8:45am to drop off buzzers and register. We will be meeting in the lounge area on the 2nd floor of the McMaster University Student Centre (MUSC). From there, a nearby room will be our headquarters where a general schedule will be made and people will be directed to their room from. There is a nearby parking lot (Lot B) that has a flat rate of $7 per day. If you have any additional questions or comments, please contact [email protected]. (Since many of the same individuals are playing ACRONYM, we shall be seeing a change of scenery and have it at the Burke Science Building (BSB). For more information, click here.

EDIT: Our base of operations will be in MUSC 220.
Last edited by Peter13 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Cordeiro
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

I hope we do a #quadroundrobin like other 4 team tournaments this season.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

The Last 21 Stanley Cup Winners wrote:I hope we do a #quadroundrobin like other 4 team tournaments this season.
Ottawa has joined in, and we are likely to have a house team, bringing the total up to six teams. With that taken in to account, as well as the fact that we want to finish early to play Christmas Present, it will most likely be only double round robin.
Peter Cordeiro
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Thanks for everyone for playing MUT. I really appreciate everyone who helped to make the tournament happen, including Christine, Adam, and all the McMaster staffers. Despite the few difficulties we had throughout the day, they helped to get the tournament to run smoothly.

In other news, stats can be available at: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
Peter Cordeiro
Sigurd
Lulu

Post by Sigurd »

Thank you to McMaster for organizing an enjoyable day of quizbowl!

Following MUT, Christmas Present was played. The team "Christine" of Aayush and Rein cleared the field 6-0 to win, going undefeated in the round robin and then defeating Dennis/Adam Swift in the final.

Thanks to Paul K., Brian L. and Christine I. for staffing this side event!
Full stats can be found here http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3695/
Isaac Thiessen
Martingrove CI 2015
Waterloo 2020