Chicago Open Trash 2016 (July 24, 2016)

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Chicago Open Trash 2016 (July 24, 2016)

Post by theMoMA »

There are sufficient rooms to expand the field, assuming we have the staff to do so. Please get your registrations in by emailing both Rob and me, and please post in the thread if you can staff. Thanks!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Staffers especially are greatly appreciated -- we'll make sure you get fed!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

I can play this. I know music, random internet things, and scattered tidbits from the rest of the categories.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Registration is now purely on a first come, first serve basis. We currently have 14 teams and 9 staffers; the post with the field info (second in the thread) is accurate and up to date, as far as I know (but if teams have filled any of their free agent spots, please email me; it'll make statkeeping easier to have accurate rosters).

It'd be great to get 16 teams--a very nice number for guaranteeing everyone the maximum number of games. Please email Rob and me to register!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

I'm looking for a team. I know a lot of things about sports (especially baseball, the best sport) and in general I can and will contribute on anything other than video games and comics.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Kenji is replacing Brian our team.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
yogesh.raut
Lulu

Post by yogesh.raut »

I wish to play. For anyone who needs an introduction: My specialties are film and TV. My previous two times playing in this tournament, I was the lead scorer on teams that finished second and first. I was also the lead scorer on the team that just won ACRONYM @HSNCT undefeated. Please contact me at yogeshraut at gmail dot com if you have a spot open and are interested in having me join.
Yogesh Raut
Washington State University
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Hey, there are now 16 teams registered. I'm going to close registrations, at least until the current free agent spots on existing teams are filled, and possibly for good.

According to the field as I have it, there are open slots on teams 3, 4, 13, and 16 on this post. I believe there are four or five free agents listed on the unofficial team formation sheet.

Please email Rob and me if you fill a slot or replace a player. I just sent out an email to registered teams about open slots; please follow up on that if it applies to you.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Also, if you have a team of three or four and would like to provisionally register (pending reopening of the field, but no promises that that will happen), please email Rob and me. It'll help us to make further decisions about the field size.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Who should checks be made out to?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I can do the $$. You can make them out to me. You can also pay me on Venmo; I'll provide more information on payments on CO weekend.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I believe that all free-agent slots have been filled. There are still a handful of people listed as possibly interested free agents on the team formation spreadsheet. If there are still groups of people interested in playing, please form together into tentative teams and email Rob and me so we know whether we should consider expanding the field.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Fellow CMU alum Aakash Patel and I would be interested in joining two others free agents if the field expands.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Now that I know my team's definitely going to CO, I'll gladly volunteer to staff this if needed/wanted.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Bensonfan23 wrote:Now that I know my team's definitely going to CO, I'll gladly volunteer to staff this if needed/wanted.
More staffers are always appreciated!
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Also (this may be tangentially related depending on where additional demand comes from geographically), I'm sure we'd be open to having a mirror of the set if there's enough interest in another region, either on CO weekend or later in the summer. Email Rob and me if interested.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I've been busy and neglected to check this thread, but I would really like to play this tournament and emphatically hope we can expand the field. I'm looking for teammates at the moment. If it comes down to it, I can try to track down a staffer if that's necessary to add the extra team(s).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

There is currently a provisional team of three registered. I think we can support 18, 19, or 20 teams--the format that comes to mind would be two brackets, each of 9 or 10 teams apiece, each with 9 scheduled games, and any 9-team brackets having a single bye, followed by either (a) a crossover game or (b) three games amongst pods of four to use all the packets (if people are ok with a potentially unsettled finals situation, although with advanced notice we could possibly write a 13th packet for finals as well)--but 17 seems like an awkward number.

Any thoughts on potential 18-team formats is appreciated. It does seem likely that we can rustle up a few additional teams to get to 18+, based on the current registration of the provisional 17th team, Chris's interest, and the existence of as-yet-unplaced free agents (Mik Larsen, Jerry Vinokurov, and Delano Barnes) in the unofficial team formation sheet.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

We'll settle the finals situation by beating everyone.

WOOOOOOOOOO
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I am almost certainly not going to this tournament.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Ndg wrote:Fellow CMU alum Aakash Patel and I would be interested in joining two others free agents if the field expands.
Ryan Rosenberg and Chris Ray having joined us, this provisional team is now full.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

It looks like we have 17 full teams. If we can get to at least 18, we'll expand the field again, and write a 13th packet to facilitate a 9 + 3 format (with one bye, most likely, unless we can expand to 19 or 20). I just emailed a few of the remaining free agents, and I've heard from Jerry that he's interested in playing. Please get in touch with me if you're also interested, and I'll try to coordinate getting an 18th team together.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

theMoMA wrote:It looks like we have 17 full teams. If we can get to at least 18, we'll expand the field again, and write a 13th packet to facilitate a 9 + 3 format (with one bye, most likely, unless we can expand to 19 or 20). I just emailed a few of the remaining free agents, and I've heard from Jerry that he's interested in playing. Please get in touch with me if you're also interested, and I'll try to coordinate getting an 18th team together.
Now that I'm coming to CO, I'm interested in joining said team.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

It looks almost certain that we'll get to 18 teams. Carsten suggested that we could also do a prelims of three brackets of six teams apiece, followed by a second round robin of three brackets of six teams apiece, followed by full finals for the top two teams, if necessary. This format strikes me as preferable for an 18-team tournament (ten rounds, no byes, and full finals), but if people would prefer the nine-game prelims (with one bye) format that I suggested earlier (12 rounds, one of which is a bye, and a one-game finals if necessary), we can do that as well. In the likely event that we do get 18 teams, registration will remain open until we hit 20, because 19- and 20-team formats are also viable.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
ArloLyle
Lulu

Post by ArloLyle »

It turns out I won't be busy this weekend after all. So if there is room for me on a team, I'd make the trip.
Arlo Lyle - Freelance Trash Player (MN)
--------------------------------------------------
Tulsa (2002-2005)
Georgia (2005-2007)
Alcoholics Synonymous (2002-2005,2007-2008)
Arlo and Ashley Plus Zero (2009)
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

All,

Chicago Open, to be held on the day preceding this tournament, is currently in need of at least two more experienced staffers to run successfully. If you're currently planning only to attend CO Trash, and are around and able to help with the event that makes CO Trash possible, please get in touch with us at [email protected]. Volunteers will be festooned with admiration!

We are also hoping to draw a 20th team of players for the main CO field. Same deal there; make your interest known in the Team Formation thread if applicable.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

18 teams (all full) are now registered. Registration is open, as 19- and 20-team formats are viable with our current staffer/packet situation. If you're a free agent who's still interested in playing, please post in the thread or email me.

Also, if you're interested in staffing, we could still use another couple people, especially if the format calls for 10 rooms. (We currently have enough staffers for a 20-team tournament, but we'd be stretched thin.) We'll provide lunch, snacks, soda, cough drops, and what Carsten promises to be a readable set!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

theMoMA wrote:Also, if you're interested in staffing, we could still use another couple people, especially if the format calls for 10 rooms. (We currently have enough staffers for a 20-team tournament, but we'd be stretched thin.) We'll provide lunch, snacks, soda, cough drops, and what Carsten promises to be a readable set!
but will they be Riccola cough drops?!
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I will strive to accommodate all reasonable requests for cough drops.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

theMoMA wrote:We'll provide . . . what Carsten promises to be a readable set!
If Rob misplaces places all the punctuation around and quotation marks in the most logical and aesthetically pleasing fashion again, I can make no such a promise.

fixed some obvious typos --mgmt
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Are there still spots on teams 19 and 20 available? Canada is currently trying to work out a situation where we have 1 or 2 extra people interested
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

The current situation is that we're at 18 and trying to see if other teams materialize. Morgan Venkus said he's likely able to get together a 19th team, and Arlo Lyle (and potentially now some Canadians) are also interested. If we can get to 20, we'd need another staffer as well. Is anyone in the Canadian contingent potentially interested in staffing?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Hey, it looks like we have at least 19 teams interested, and we have another staffer as well. If we can get that 20th team together, we'll expand the field (and cap it at 20). For the 20th team, we have Arlo, 1 or 2 Canadians, and perhaps one of Morgan's friends as well. Can we get that team firmed up so we can move ahead with the 20-team schedule?
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

theMoMA wrote:If we can get to 20, we'd need another staffer as well. Is anyone in the Canadian contingent potentially interested in staffing?
I'll ask some of the CO people when I see them at our HSNCT mirror in two weeks, but I'd expect that this is unlikely.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Cool. We do have enough staffers for 20 teams now, but it's always nice to have more. Please email me when you know whether people will be interested in playing on the 20th team.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

We have a change in our roster. Since Christine Irwin and Adam Swift have moved onto Arlo Lyle's team, our team has picked up Ian Greig as a fourth.
Aaron Dos Remedios
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

adosreme wrote:We have a change in our roster. Since Christine Irwin and Adam Swift have moved onto Arlo Lyle's team, our team has picked up Ian Greig as a fourth.
I haven't gotten any emails about the 20th team; if Arlo, Christine, and Adam (and possibly others) are planning to team up, can you have one of them email me to confirm? This will help me coordinate filling any open spots on that team if it's not already full. Thanks.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

theMoMA wrote:
adosreme wrote:We have a change in our roster. Since Christine Irwin and Adam Swift have moved onto Arlo Lyle's team, our team has picked up Ian Greig as a fourth.
I haven't gotten any emails about the 20th team; if Arlo, Christine, and Adam (and possibly others) are planning to team up, can you have one of them email me to confirm? This will help me coordinate filling any open spots on that team if it's not already full. Thanks.
I can confirm Christine and I are on this 20th team.
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I hope it is ok to post here about CO proper in case some people here haven't followed the team formation thread etc. If there is anyone here with an interest in playing CO, let the chicago open gmail and me know, since a 20th team would be a huge help as I understand it. Feel free to see if you have any qb'ers you know who aren't going as of now who might be interested. Thank you kindly.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

So the as-yet-unnamed team of myself, Sara Burke, Sam Bailey, and David Seal has lost its David Seal to work commitments. Are now looking for a free agent. Sports knowledge a plus. PM me or something.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Here's an update: all of the questions are written and revising is almost complete, meaning we'll be packetizing and starting the proofreading process this week. Turns out this is amply possible when you give yourself more than a year to write questions.

As near as I can tell, the field is now 100% full (80 players on 20 teams! Hooray!), but we're still looking for an additional staffer or two to make things run more smoothly. Please contact Andrew and I if you're interested--you'll get not only lunch and our undying appreciation, but also the chance to read some of the most-proofread packets ever.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Auks Ran Ova wrote: As near as I can tell, the field is now 100% full (80 players on 20 teams! Hooray!), but we're still looking for an additional staffer or two to make things run more smoothly. Please contact Andrew and I if you're interested--you'll get not only lunch and our undying appreciation, but also the chance to read some of the most-proofread packets ever.

Not quite true! Still looking for a fourth. PM me if interested.
Rachel
UChicago 09
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:So the as-yet-unnamed team of myself, Sara Burke, Sam Bailey, and David Seal has lost its David Seal to work commitments. Are now looking for a free agent. Sports knowledge a plus. PM me or something.

Not every Chicago Open Trash team can afford him
Morgan Venkus
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I just sent out payment information for the tournament. If you are the person who registered your team and didn't receive it, let me know. If you're a person who's on a team but wasn't the person who registered that team, and your team contact doesn't forward the email in the next couple of days, let me know as well.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Stan has dropped from our team, so Ike, Andrew Wang, and I are also in need of a fourth. Sports and pop music knowledge desirable; a capacity for amusingness even more so.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Joey Goldman is our new fourth.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Hey, it has reached my attention that David Seal, although apparently neck-deep in a legal quagmire of Gaddisian proportions, will be very sad if there isn't an East Coast mirror of CO trash for him to play. I assume there are other people, not all of whom are Marnold, who feel similarly. If you're on the Eastern Seaboard and have the desire to run an August mirror of the tournament, please let me know!

I'd also love to line up mirrors in other regions. There's an announcement for a mirror at ULL, but perhaps there is also enough interest to have mirrors in the West, Texas, Canada, in the more eastern part of the South, or elsewhere.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
The Schopenhauer Power Hour
Lulu

Post by The Schopenhauer Power Hour »

theMoMA wrote:Hey, it has reached my attention that David Seal, although apparently neck-deep in a legal quagmire of Gaddisian proportions, will be very sad if there isn't an East Coast mirror of CO trash for him to play. I assume there are other people, not all of whom are Marnold, who feel similarly. If you're on the Eastern Seaboard and have the desire to run an August mirror of the tournament, please let me know!

I'd also love to line up mirrors in other regions. There's an announcement for a mirror at ULL, but perhaps there is also enough interest to have mirrors in the West, Texas, Canada, in the more eastern part of the South, or elsewhere.
Would be interested in an East Coast mirror!
Logan Anbinder
University of Maryland '12
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

The Schopenhauer Power Hour wrote:
theMoMA wrote:Hey, it has reached my attention that David Seal, although apparently neck-deep in a legal quagmire of Gaddisian proportions, will be very sad if there isn't an East Coast mirror of CO trash for him to play. I assume there are other people, not all of whom are Marnold, who feel similarly. If you're on the Eastern Seaboard and have the desire to run an August mirror of the tournament, please let me know!

Would be interested in an East Coast mirror!
As I had to drop out of the main site, I'd also be interested in an east coast mirror.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Pat dropped--are there any free agents left or people who were thinking of playing?

EDIT: We signed The Notorious Chris Manners.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota