MacVanity III: The Return of Jeff Goldblum

Old college threads.
Senator_Jay
Rikku

MacVanity III: The Return of Jeff Goldblum

Post by Senator_Jay »

Well, it had to happen again eventually...back by popular demand, and in time for the glorious return of Jeff Goldblum to the silver screen in the highly-anticipated Independence Day: Resurgence, I am just tickled to announce MacVanity III: The Return of Jeff Goldblum!!! The date is June 18, 2016, in MUSC (student centre), be there for a #9AM Starttime (ie, preferably be there by 9, start 9:30.

As for the previous iterations, we will be donating half the proceeds to charity (the McMaster Children's Hospital) in order to expiate the sin of devising such a tournament and allowing it to run. Also, this is a pack-submission tournament, although it is not required that you submit a pack. The more packets we have, the more rounds we can play! In the past we've had up to 13 submissions, which has been awesome.

In choosing to participate in this tournament, please keep in mind the following:

This tournament is intended to give players a chance to practice writing questions in a low-stakes environment!
This tournament is intended to be a fun diversion designed to break up the wasteland that is the spring/summer tournament season in Canada!
This tournament is intended to allow writers to try out new content and forms of delivery, and offer players a unique playing experience!
You are under no obligation to participate in this tournament, but please, think about the children!

General Notes:

-Every pack must have an amusing subtitle that may or may not refer to said theme
-Multimedia questions and novel forms of delivery (for both questions and answers) are encouraged by not necessary
-As always, write on whatever you want! If you don't like sports but need a sports question, write it on quidditch or esports, or something else fun

Distribution

9/9 Academic (at least 1/0 or 0/1 of each of the following)

Literature
History
Science
Fine Arts
RMP
Soc Sci
Geography

9/9 Trash (at least 1/0 or 0/1 of each of the following

Movies/TV
Music
Trash Lit
Games (Board and Video)
Sports
Current Events
General Knowledge

1/1 Meta

1/1 Before and After (ie, Galois Theory of The Portuguese Discovery of Australia

Cost

$25 per person
-$5 for a pack submission
(Maximum team cost is $100, minimum is $20, for solo teams)
There will be no laptop/buzzer/staffer discounts, but a distance discount may be negotiated. This event is mostly for charity, and we'd like to donate more than $15 to the hospital.

We do not have a field cap yet, because we do not know what rooms we can get, but we can expect to have at least 5-10 rooms available to us (therefore 10-20 teams, however unlikely).

We have 6 rooms, but only so far about 4 interested teams. If we need to do doubles, we can do that, but please lemme know!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me, at [email protected].

Have fun writing! (attached is a template, please utilize it)
Attachments
MacVanity 3 Pack Template.docx
(16.14 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Last edited by Senator_Jay on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
adosreme
Rikku

Re: MacVanity III: The Return of Jeff Goldblum

Post by adosreme »

I can attend this only if it's on the 18th
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Update: The rooms have officially been booked for this, and the event is scheduled to happen on Saturday June 18th, 2016. Be ready to have fun playing trivia and knowing that your contribution is going to a good cause!

EDIT: Changed from you're to your. My defence is that I am a (soon to be) economist, not a proofreader or linguist (like Jay is).
Last edited by Peter13 on Fri May 13, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Peter13 wrote:Update: The rooms have officially been booked for this, and the event is scheduled to happen on Saturday June 18th, 2016. Be ready to have fun playing trivia and knowing that you're contribution is going to a good cause!
In this case, the "good cause" may be Peter's continuing education in the English language.
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey everyone, with only about 3 weeks to go, I still need confirmations from teams regarding who intends to attend, and who will be submitting packets. We'll want at least 6-8 packets, and there'll likely be a side event happening. And maybe an experiment, which might be exciting(ish)! Lemme know soon :)
Jay Misuk

adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I'm playing this with Isaac and Lamar. Isaac and I are working on a pack. It will likely be unthemed.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

With only 3 days to go I only have 2 completed packets, and approx. 6-8 promised packets. Please get these in by Friday so that I can at least organize them before the tournament! Also, let me know if you can bring staff/buzzers/laptops, etc. I will try to post a field update by the end of today, but I have a feeling it'll be a random jumble playing on Saturday, and there will be various free agents available.
Jay Misuk

Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

I am going to be submitting a "pack" for this. I won't be able to make the tournament as I have lots of other things going on, including writing my share of the CO "packet".
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

MacVanity III: The Return of Jeff Goldblum - Must Go Fasterer is coming up in two days! That's this Saturday! Please get your packets in, and please confirm with me if you haven't. We have 3 packets so far, and I'm expecting at least 3-5 more. It'll be fun, I promise!
Jay Misuk

Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Hello everyone. I would like everyone to know that I am now at the headquarters of the tournament in Room 206/207 of the student centre. Try to get here by 9am, we will try to start promptly at 9:30am. Meet me at the headquarters where Jay will likely discuss all the rules and scheduling of the tournament. If you have buzzers, try and get here about 15 minutes earlier, so I can set up a room to put them in. I hope everyone has fun time in what is sure going to be an interesting tournament.
Peter Cordeiro
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Thanks to everyone for coming out to play, including Chip, who came from New Hampshire (though I still appreciate the people who trekked from Toronto, Waterloo, etc. to play some trivia). After a double round robin, we had three teams in contention for first place. Concluding a four team single elimination knockout, METALLURGY BOYS beat #REKT in the finals 310-190 to win the third installment of MacVanity.

The stats can be viewed here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3740/
Peter Cordeiro
Considered Harmful
Lulu

Post by Considered Harmful »

Will the set be posted?
Nicholas Sunderland
Lisgar CI '15
Waterloo '20
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

5 packets from Imaginary Landscapes 3 were played following the conclusion of the main event. Jay Misuk overcame a bad case of negs to win. Scores were:

Jay: 120
Aaron: 115
Erik: 60
Rein: 50
Christine: 20
Anubhav: 20
Peter: -10
Luca: -25
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Around occasionally wrote:Will the set be posted?
I don't know if it will or not (you will have to ask Jay about that), but anyone who played at the event is free to ask for a copy of the set.
Peter Cordeiro
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Due to everyone's support, the McMaster Quizbowl Club is pleased to be able to donate $160.00 to the McMaster Children's Hospital Foundation. This will help to purchase new equipment, support redevelopment initiatives, contribute to world-class research and assist with education and professional development. Thanks to everyone who showed up for our fun little event, and seeing your money go to such a noble cause as well to provide additional funding for our club.
Peter Cordeiro