The Second Summer Open

Old college threads.
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Re: The Second Summer Open

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

AKKOLADE wrote:Do people want my basketball set to be finished in time for this? Tossups only, probably violates Ike's advice about accessibility to everyone, answer aren't going to be on 9th man for the 1977 Hawks or something though. I should be able to get to at least 50 TUs.
Fred, I think this sounds fun and would love to play it.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
That DCC guy
Lulu

Post by That DCC guy »

I'd be interested in playing the basketball set Fred
Austin Foos
Detroit Catholic Central 2015
Michigan State University 2016
University of Michigan 2019
2015 Pace National Champion
2014-2015 Player of the Year
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Due to low interest thus far, I'm postponing the Supreme Court set until a later time, so that my time can be better spent finishing and editing BURI.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
That DCC guy
Lulu

Post by That DCC guy »

I'll play the Supreme Court set
Austin Foos
Detroit Catholic Central 2015
Michigan State University 2016
University of Michigan 2019
2015 Pace National Champion
2014-2015 Player of the Year
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

That DCC guy wrote:I'll play the Supreme Court set
I'm also interested in playing such a set at some point (although not for the second summer open which is already pretty packed).
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I've posted this before, but I'll reiterate it. What exactly does "low interest" mean? Now, obviously this summer open is packed, so it's probably good to hold off on it (maybe that's what you meant), but literally every side event in quizbowl has interest from somebody. There's been at least three times in the last year where someone posts "due to low interest, I'm probably going to hold off on this." I don't really get what that means--did you want lots of posts saying "this sounds cool" or e-mails about it? There are certainly lots of events I'd love to play that I don't publicly declare because I figure they will get written and I'll play them then.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Cheynem wrote:I've posted this before, but I'll reiterate it. What exactly does "low interest" mean? Now, obviously this summer open is packed, so it's probably good to hold off on it (maybe that's what you meant), but literally every side event in quizbowl has interest from somebody. There's been at least three times in the last year where someone posts "due to low interest, I'm probably going to hold off on this." I don't really get what that means--did you want lots of posts saying "this sounds cool" or e-mails about it? There are certainly lots of events I'd love to play that I don't publicly declare because I figure they will get written and I'll play them then.
Yeah, the schedule's already pretty packed, and there doesn't seem to be a very comparatively significant demand for this set (as opposed to say, Listory and ARTSEE), so I think holding off on it was the way to go.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Mike Bentley wrote:
That DCC guy wrote:I'll play the Supreme Court set
I'm also interested in playing such a set at some point (although not for the second summer open which is already pretty packed).
Probably redundant, but I'd definitely pay to play this set at some point in the future.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I don't suppose there's some interest in running this in the NYC area in August?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Snap Wexley wrote:I don't suppose there's some interest in running this in the NYC area in August?
There has been a lot of interest expressed, but some difficulty in finding rooms. (The perpetual NYC problem.) Last I heard (which was two weeks ago), NYU was investigating holding a mirror on the weekend of the 6th-7th. I am personally unavailable on the 6th, but would be happy to show up for whatever events could be scheduled for the 7th. Hopefully, someone from NYU will post on these boards soon, to let us know whether this possibility is still being pursued.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Zef
Lulu

Post by Zef »

Sorry for the delay regarding information on a Columbia/NYC area side event tournament day. NYU will be hosting a Summer Side Open tournament on August 7th, 2016. Exact times and building location have yet to be determined but some combination of Listory, ARTSEE, and BURI will likely be played unless players have significant interest in playing other events. Registration and exact times will be posted as soon as we have more information.
Huzefa Diwan
Columbia University '18
Roslyn High School '14
Co-Vice President, Columbia Quiz Bowl
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote:
AKKOLADE wrote:Do people want my basketball set to be finished in time for this? Tossups only, probably violates Ike's advice about accessibility to everyone, answer aren't going to be on 9th man for the 1977 Hawks or something though. I should be able to get to at least 50 TUs.
Fred, I think this sounds fun and would love to play it.
Various forces have conspired against me to force me to delay this.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator