IRC Festivus 2016: Still Not Dead Yet

Old college threads.
Silverman
Lulu

Re: IRC Festivus 2016: Still Not Dead Yet

Post by Silverman »

Silverman wrote:I'll hopefully be writing half-packets each on Harry Potter and Star Wars, with the possible addition of a couple vanity questions.
These are partially written and will be finished. In addition, they are now titled "Harry Potter and the Half Packet" and "POWERS! UNLIMITED POWERS!".
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17
Hypersmart
Lulu

Post by Hypersmart »

How does one take part in this?
Veer R
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

When are we going to get info about logistics for this if we're planning on reading packets?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

CPiGuy wrote:When are we going to get info about logistics for this if we're planning on reading packets?
Usually there's a Google Doc set up on the morning of the tournament where people enter their names/packet themes depending on when they want to read. After that we just go down the list.

EDIT: Also, I changed my mind. I'll have a 10-15 tossup Philippines packet AND another music packet with an unimpressive mystery theme
Last edited by Wynaut on Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Post by SpanishSpy »

When will we be exchanging contact information?
Alex Wallace
Washington-Lee High School Class of 2015
College of William & Mary Class of 2019
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

We won't -- people will add their names to the scheduling doc, hop onto the IRC #quizbowl channel, and engage in feats of strength.

If anybody's looking for a good IRC client and not keen on installing stuff, I recommend Mibbit.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I can write 20/0 of stuff I like. I'm not sure what that is. I guess we'll all see.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:I'll have some combination of things. Possibly on videogames that skew heavily towards my interest. Possibly some biography questions on academic people.
There's also an off-chance I might write some questions on magazines, although whether I'll be able to finish all of these for Festivus is TBD.
I looked through what I already had written and the videogames portion of this is pretty much already done, so that will definitely be happening.
Just to confirm, I have a packet of 30 or so vidoegame tossups I'm calling "Iwata Asks". The other stuff mentioned here will have to wait for another time.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
felgon123
Lulu

Post by felgon123 »

I've been incubating a Festivus packet. The distribution is roughly:

25% Game of Thrones mashups
25% hard answers from easy video games (i.e. more questions like the ones in my Nintendo packet from a couple years ago)
25% wint's Twitter (@dril)
25% Seinfeld and other miscellanies

So hopefully something for everybody! I hope to see this packet get destroyed by the Festivus crowd as efficiently and impressively as the last one was.
Tommy
UVA '15
Harvard...let's say '23
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

felgon123 wrote: 25% wint's Twitter (@dril)
!!!
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Auger recombination
Rikku

Post by Auger recombination »

Imperial Cormorant wrote:I might have a packet of comic book questions based mostly around the theme of "stuff I liked that wasn't in GRAPHIC"
This has been written to 10/0 and skews very much towards the last twenty years and also towards DC
Finn Bender
Edmond Memorial '15
OU '19
Colorado '21
Vainamoinen
Lulu

Post by Vainamoinen »

I have a partially completed 20 question packet on Haruki Murakami.
Will Overman
MW '16
Caltech '20
yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

Hypersmart wrote:How does one take part in this?
Could someone please answer this? Having never used the quizbowl IRC before, I am also unsure how exactly this works.
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

Go to mibbit.com and load up the client. On the drop-down list that says "Connect: Mibbit", select Slashnet instead. Type in a nick (your name, your forum username, something not stupid) and type "#quizbowl" into the space for the channel. Press the button that says "Connect." Ta da.

You can register your nick with an email (Google this part) but it's not entirely necessary for Festivus unless you're concerned about people impersonating you.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

RexSueciae wrote:Go to mibbit.com and load up the client. On the drop-down list that says "Connect: Mibbit", select Slashnet instead. Type in a nick (your name, your forum username, something not stupid) and type "#quizbowl" into the space for the channel. Press the button that says "Connect." Ta da.

You can register your nick with an email (Google this part) but it's not entirely necessary for Festivus unless you're concerned about people impersonating you.
Thanks! So are the questions just going to be typed/read line-by-line, with people typing "buzz" to buzz?
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

crash bandicoot wrote:
RexSueciae wrote:Go to mibbit.com and load up the client. On the drop-down list that says "Connect: Mibbit", select Slashnet instead. Type in a nick (your name, your forum username, something not stupid) and type "#quizbowl" into the space for the channel. Press the button that says "Connect." Ta da.

Thanks! So are the questions just going to be typed/read line-by-line, with people typing "buzz" to buzz?
Exactly correct.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Tonight somebody gave me a copy of the Rukhnama as a Christmas present. I am going to try to put together a small packet of questions based on my soon-to-be-real knowledge of the Rukhnama. I won't be able to attend Festivus so if you'd like to read this on my behalf please let me know.

Edit - yes I know it's usually transliterated Ruhnama, but I have a copy of it literally on my bookshelf that spells it with a kh and seems to be the official English translation sanctioned by the Turkmen government
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
avp
Lulu

Post by avp »

avp wrote:I'll probably have a packet on pre-2000 film/television/etc.
This is complete to 20/0, and titled "Screens of the 20th Century", with the following description:

"The packet is written as if the world never made it past December 31, 1999. All clues and answer lines are related to a range of people, places, and things that would have been seen on screens of some kind during the 20th century. Everything is fair game, except for the French New Wave, a topic which has been explicitly barred from inclusion in every possible way."
Aakash
SOUNDTRACK, 2018
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:I am going to try to put together a small packet of questions based on my soon-to-be-real knowledge of the Rukhnama. I won't be able to attend Festivus so if you'd like to read this on my behalf please let me know.
If you do not already have a volunteer to do this I can read it for you (since I have not learned of the Rukhnama untill today, though judging from the wikipedia entry for it, it sounds like it is a fun read) after my TRICON packet.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Auroni wrote:May have a 20/0 Ace Attorney packet ready for this.
Won't have time to write this, sadly.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

Auroni wrote:
Auroni wrote:May have a 20/0 Ace Attorney packet ready for this.
Won't have time to write this, sadly.
:capybara: ! I was so hyped for this too! Any possibility of 10/0, or even 5/0? I would be thoroughly interested and am sad this is not coming to fruition!
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:I'm writing a packet on animation, live-action films, etc. featuring Batman. There will be no questions related to (or acknowledgment of the existence of) Batman v Superman.
Yeah, like Auroni, I probably won't be able to live up to my Festivus ambitions for this year. I wrote a couple of questions already, but I definitely won't have time to flesh this out to a proper packet. So, I'll save this for next year.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Some days you just can't get rid of a packet!!!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Progcon wrote:I hope to have the Pokémon packet done by then. It should be 20 tossups on mostly stuff from the video games.
This won't be happening.

I apologize, but I have been busy with finals and now writing some academic questions. I hope to have some Pokémon questions done for a Summer Open or something like that. Pokémon Sun and Moon are pretty fun though from the little I've been able to play. One of those games could be worth the time.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Progcon wrote:
Progcon wrote:I hope to have the Pokémon packet done by then. It should be 20 tossups on mostly stuff from the video games.
This won't be happening.

I apologize, but I have been busy with finals and now writing some academic questions. I hope to have some Pokémon questions done for a Summer Open or something like that. Pokémon Sun and Moon are pretty fun though from the little I've been able to play. One of those games could be worth the time.
I'll put together some questions I wrote months before Sun and Moon came out (so no content from those games, unfortunately) because I'm way too busy to write current ones. This'll replace the music packet.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I have written 3 pop music questions for this. I may write more. Who would like to read my questions?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Post by SpanishSpy »

Alex Wallace's Terrific Trash Packet (20/20) is ready for Friday.
Alex Wallace
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

randomguy1997 wrote:Time permitting, I want to write a half-soccer, half-baseball packet.
Yeah, not happening. Sorry.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

felgon123 wrote:I've been incubating a Festivus packet. The distribution is roughly:

25% hard answers from easy video games (i.e. more questions like the ones in my Nintendo packet from a couple years ago)

So hopefully something for everybody! I hope to see this packet get destroyed by the Festivus crowd as efficiently and impressively as the last one was.
I'm imagining you sitting protectively on an egg. I don't know how I feel about this.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

On account of the various canceled packets, I'll read a brief packet of tossups on the films of 2016.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Spheal With It wrote:In case Kenji's doesn't come to fruition, I'm also writing an "internet content" (aka memes) packet. There are currently four TUs, hopefully more to come.
Alas, this will also not come to fruition.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
felgon123
Lulu

Post by felgon123 »

naturalistic phallacy wrote:
felgon123 wrote:I've been incubating a Festivus packet. The distribution is roughly:

I'm imagining you sitting protectively on an egg. I don't know how I feel about this.
To paraphrase George Costanza: I'm never gonna have a child. If I lose this Festivus packet...that's it for me.
Tommy
UVA '15
Harvard...let's say '23
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

eliza.grames wrote:I'll have some myth packets (or maybe just one big packet of ~50 questions) ranging from regular difficulty to "why would you write that" without all that Greco-Roman crap.
Sorry to add to the disappointment of promised questions that didn't actually get *completely* done, but I only have 30 questions for this because grad school things happened. Four of the questions are written by one of the UConn players (Ben Watson) and I haven't actually seen them yet, but they're evidently done, probably delightful, and most certainly odd.

I stand by my statement that some of these are totally getable and others will make you judge my judgment on choosing answerlines. Hopefully more of them are the former. The questions are mostly North American, Celtic, and Middle Easternish (including Abrahamic) but there are some other regions too and Ben's are probably all Mesoamerican.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

RexSueciae wrote:I will probably have finished at some point a packet on "fictional characters in popular music."
Without a doubt, this is still happening.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Would anyone be interested in a "Things H Jon Benjamin is famous, or at least kinda famous, for" packet? Not entirely sure how much I could guarantee will be done by Friday night ("Writing" finals papers as I write this) but it'd be basically Archer and Bob's Burgers with some random cameos here or there. If people are interested I will make as much of it as possible happen, though I can't make any promises (which in the face of the packet cancellations is probably not what yall want to hear sorry :/ but I'll try)
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Silverman
Lulu

Post by Silverman »

Silverman wrote:half-packets each on Harry Potter and Star Wars
These are written to 10/0 and 9/0, plus one crossover question to round out a full packet's worth.

The Harry Potter questions rely exclusively on the seven books, plus the Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them books. There are no clues from any of the movies, including the recent Fantastic Beasts, or (god forbid) Cursed Child.

The Star Wars questions, with one exception, have answers that only rely on the seven numbered movies, plus the Clone Wars and Rebels TV series. I tried to restrict all Legends/Expanded Universe clues to before the powermark. I ended up with rather more TV show clues than I'd have liked, but I think that'll prevent every question from being first- or second-lined. To avoid spoilers, there is no Rogue One content whatsoever.
Steven Silverman
Unionville High School '13
Carnegie Mellon University '17
SpanishSpy
Wakka

Post by SpanishSpy »

Has the Google Doc gone up?
Alex Wallace
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

I will have some number of assorted trash tossups with no theme other than "things I like enough to write about" for this. It's currently at 6, though I hope to have it at somewhere between 10-20 by Friday.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
anderson
Lulu

Post by anderson »

I'm done with 20 music tossups and might write more by Friday, though I'm also writing a few silly bonuses to cram in more material. Judging from the "Best Albums of 2016" thread, I think at least a decent number of people should have fun with this.
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Unicolored Jay wrote:I have a non-zero number of Clickhole Clickventure TUs that I could read for this.
I have 20 tossups ready, plus a few bonuses I had already written if they're of interest. Due to a request, a significant number of these questions are very difficult, but there should be some that are gettable by the end even without Clickhole knowledge.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I'll have the preliminary google doc up tonight, at least listing the (promised) packets and outlining some rules and guidelines for the day. I would remind people that you're welcome to read basically any number of questions--no need to withdraw if you've only completed part of your initial plans, though if you want to save your questions for a full packet later, that's entirely fine too.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

You know what, I'll have some version of that biography packet after all.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Would anyone be interested in a "Things H Jon Benjamin is famous, or at least kinda famous, for" packet? Not entirely sure how much I could guarantee will be done by Friday night ("Writing" finals papers as I write this) but it'd be basically Archer and Bob's Burgers with some random cameos here or there. If people are interested I will make as much of it as possible happen, though I can't make any promises (which in the face of the packet cancellations is probably not what yall want to hear sorry :/ but I'll try)
Never mind
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:I'll have the preliminary google doc up tonight, at least listing the (promised) packets and outlining some rules and guidelines for the day. I would remind people that you're welcome to read basically any number of questions--no need to withdraw if you've only completed part of your initial plans, though if you want to save your questions for a full packet later, that's entirely fine too.
Will that google doc be posted here?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Unicolored Jay wrote:I have a non-zero number of Clickhole Clickventure TUs that I could read for this.
On a related note, I am extremely excited for Festivus.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

CPiGuy wrote:
Auks Ran Ova wrote:I'll have the preliminary google doc up tonight, at least listing the (promised) packets and outlining some rules and guidelines for the day. I would remind people that you're welcome to read basically any number of questions--no need to withdraw if you've only completed part of your initial plans, though if you want to save your questions for a full packet later, that's entirely fine too.
Will that google doc be posted here?
It will, though it won't have any information that's not already in the thread somewhere (other than rules and procedures) -- scheduling is always done on a fairly ad-hoc basis so we don't have to deal with people endlessly missing their slots or whatever.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Some small number of tossups from our packet have been written. Jason or I can read them if so desired.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

I'm going to miss this because of travel :( Rob, will you be posting the questions on the archives? Similarly, did you ever post last year's set on the archives? I remember you emailing (or posting, maybe?) last year's somewhere, but if it would be annoying to format for the archives, I'll happily go through and label everything if you'd point me to where the set(s) are and give me permission to post them.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:I'm going to miss this because of travel :( Rob, will you be posting the questions on the archives? Similarly, did you ever post last year's set on the archives? I remember you emailing (or posting, maybe?) last year's somewhere, but if it would be annoying to format for the archives, I'll happily go through and label everything if you'd point me to where the set(s) are and give me permission to post them.
Last year's packets are here.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Aaron's Rod wrote:I should be free that day, and I've been encouraged to read my 20 academic/trash mashup tossups, where the academics basically follow an ACF distribution, and the trash distribution is "some stuff I like, some deplorable TV trash."
I'm not going to be there at noon but I'll be there. (Maybe 1-ish?)
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto