Terrapin XXIX Skype mirror (January 7, 2017)

Old college threads.
hftf
Lulu

Terrapin XXIX Skype mirror (January 7, 2017)

Post by hftf »

There will be an open Skype mirror of Terrapin XXIX on Saturday, January 7, 2017.

We will meet at 10:40 a.m. (Eastern time) in the IRC channel #terrapin on irc.slashnet.org. (This link will open the channel directly in the online Mibbit client.)
The tournament will start at 11:00 a.m. The number of rounds is TBA but the minimum will be 10.
We aim to end around 8:00 p.m. (We hope to run quickly and smoothly, but be aware that rounds of online tournaments may take longer than 30 minutes on average due to technical problems or various delays.)
Any schedule updates will be edited into this post.

Please form teams on the official spreadsheet here. The field is currently capped at 6 teams.

The fee will be $69 for a full team of four players, and $25 per person otherwise.
Payment may either be through Venmo or via check sent in the mail (PM or email me for information).

Terrapin has been widely praised for its question quality and difficulty control, and is worth playing for all. We hope to see you there!

___

I apologize for the late announcement and lack of communication. Because the Skype mirror and UW in-person mirror both had very low demand, I wanted to confirm whether the mirrors would merge and to make sure enough moderators were available before promising anything, but I should have written a post and responded to inquiries much earlier.
Ophir
Maryland
Walter Johnson
Valefor
Wakka

Re: Terrapin XXIX Skype mirror (January 7, 2017)

Post by Valefor »

Would you be willing to let someone play this if they have had 3-ish tossups in packet 14 spoiled for them (from being told about how the Ohio State vs. Chicago final played out)--and thus can't play packet 14--but otherwise know nothing about the set?

If not, I completely understand.

If you want specifics about which tossups in packet 14 I heard about, feel free to PM me.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Jem Casey
Wakka

Post by Jem Casey »

Vissi d'arte wrote:Would you be willing to let someone play this if they have had 3-ish tossups in packet 14 spoiled for them (from being told about how the Ohio State vs. Chicago final played out)--and thus can't play packet 14--but otherwise know nothing about the set?

If not, I completely understand.

If you want specifics about which tossups in packet 14 I heard about, feel free to PM me.
You are welcome to play the tournament, as it is very unlikely we will get to packet 14.
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

Thanks! It looks like all 6 team slots have initially been taken at this point, so if it's okay I'll just wait til tomorrow morning and hop onto whatever space needs filling.

EDIT: Alternatively, Daniel and Jonathan, it looks like you have two open spots right now...do you care if I join you all?
Jason Thompson
NAQT member
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

I'm interested in playing this as well. If someone needs a rusty science player feel free to PM.

*apparently a physical mirror may have popped up in our region, so disregard this post.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

This is a great tournament that everyone should play.
Last edited by 1.82 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
hftf
Lulu

Post by hftf »

The tournament wrapped up smoothly just after 7:00 p.m. yesterday. Congratulations to team GPODAWUND, who won the double round robin with a 9–1 record and a strong performance in every category.

I would like to thank all our players for attending. Though we didn’t have as large of a field as anticipated (which is on me for not being forthcoming with the announcement earlier) and opted to schedule the same match-ups back-to-back, I hope everyone had fun. Thank you Jordan and Sam for helping run the tournament and putting up with the scoresheet system.

Standard stats are now available on the tournament database. Sorry for not posting them right away – it was a long day and I wanted to get some birthday cake and go to sleep. I have attached a small preview of more detailed stats, which will be published in full at some later time. If you find any errors (which is likely since I messed up a few formulas), PM or email me.
If you haven’t yet paid, please arrange it with me over PM or email.
Ophir
Maryland
Walter Johnson
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

I think the scores for Pointy-Talky Card's first match against Dillon/Foos are reversed...we won both of those games.

Thanks again to you guys for taking your Saturday to run the tournament. :smile: It was a lot of fun to play!
Jason Thompson
NAQT member