ACF Regionals at VCU (Feb. 18, 2017)

Old college threads.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

ACF Regionals at VCU (Feb. 18, 2017)

Post by Cody »

This is the general announcement for the VCU mirror of ACF Regionals, to be hosted at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia, on Saturday, February 18, 2017 from 8:15am to about 6:15pm. More information about ACF Regionals, including packet deadlines, can be viewed at the original announcement for the tournament.

Location, directions & parking:
The tournament will likely take place in Grace E. Harris Hall, located at the intersection of Main Street and Harrison Street, in Richmond, Virginia. One will want to park either on the street, or in the West Main Street Parking Deck, which has entrances on Cherry Street and Laurel Street and is nominally located at 801 W Main St. A campus map is accessible here.

The opening meeting will likely occur in Harris 101.

Eligibility:
This tournament is open only to collegiate teams. To play this tournament, you must meet two requirements: (a) be eligible, as defined by the ACF eligibility rules 4, 7, and 8 and (b) play as a collegiate institution, as defined by the ACF eligibility rules 9 and 10. In short, this means that high school teams and open teams are not allowed to register for this site, but collegiate teams, including those with dual-enrolled high school students, are allowed to register.

Packet submission:
As noted in the main announcement, you must submit a packet if your team has at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2015. Because packet submission is on a per-team basis, your school may register multiple teams, some of which are packet-required and some of which are packet-exempt.

* This includes all ACF tournaments, NAQT Division I or Division II SCT, NAQT ICT, and typical academic invitationals and summer opens count, but does not include trash or "hybrid" tournaments, College Bowl/HCASC, and tournaments played on explicitly designated novice sets.

The submission schedule for this tournament is:
December 11th, 2016: -$50
December 28th, 2016: -$25
January 8th, 2017: +$0
January 22nd, 2017: +$25
February 5th, 2017: +$50
After that, +$10 for each additional day that you're late.
After February 12th, you will be dropped from the tournament, with no exceptions.

Please submit your packet to [email protected]. The actual e-mail with the attached packet should have a subject-line reading: "School + Team Letter (if applicable) PACKET". In order to meet a deadline, you must submit your packet before 11:59pm Pacific Time on that date. Packets should be submitted in Microsoft Word .doc or .docx format.

Registration & fees:
base fee: $135 / team
buzzer discount: -$5
moderator discount: -$20
scorekeeper discount: -$10
shorthanded discount: -$75
new to quizbowl discount: -$100

Discounts for staffers may only be claimed if you are transporting and/or lodging the staffer in question (this includes external staffers recruited by me: if you will transport them, I will give you the discount). Whether a staffer qualifies for the moderator discount or scorekeeper discount is determined solely be me.

To be eligible for the shorthanded discount, a team must consist of less than 3 players. Because the shorthanded discount is on a per-team basis, your school may register multiple teams, some of which are eligible for the discount, and some of which are not eligible.

To be eligible for the new to quizbowl discount, both your school & your school's team(s) must meet separate criteria. Your school cannot have sent a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (as defined under "Packet Submission") since September 2015. A team from a school claiming this discount can have no one on the team that played a regular collegiate academic tournament (as defined under "Packet Submission") since September 2015. Because the new to quizbowl discount has a per-team component, your school may register multiple teams, some of which are eligible for the discount, and some of which are not eligible.

The only way to register for this tournament is to fill out the form provided by ACF.

Method of payment:
We have no ability to accept payment for this tournament; only ACF may do so. Once more information is posted, I will provide it here.

Team & roster size:
Teams may consist of up to six players. Up to four players on a team may play at one time. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game for teams composed of more than four players. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc.

The VCU team reserves the right to cap the field based on availability of space and staff. Teams registering after the field is full will be placed on a waitlist and will enter the field as we expand or as teams drop. The current field cap is 16 teams, which will be adjusted to match our room capacity and staffing expectations on January 23. If this presents a problem for your team, please get in touch with me and I'll see what we can do.

Food:
Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided by the tournament. We will provide a list of suggested eateries for the lunch break, which will be some time after 12 PM.

Cody Voight
Tournament Director, ACF Regionals at VCU
[email protected]
Last edited by Cody on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Re: ACF Regionals at VCU (Feb. 18, 2017)

Post by Cody »

I will provide a field & waitlist in this post. The ACF field can be found here.

Field (22/22):
Carnegie Mellon A
Carnegie Mellon B
Delaware A
Duke A
Duke B
Georgetown A
Gettysburg A
Johns Hopkins A
Johns Hopkins B
Liberty A
Liberty B
Maryland A
Maryland B
Maryland C
North Carolina State
University of Pennsylvania A
University of Pennsylvania B
Virginia A
Virginia B
Virginia C
Virginia Commonwealth A*
Virginia Tech A
Virginia Tech B

EDIT: alphabetizing is hard, wtf

*currently we are not able to field a house team, which is why there are 23 teams on the list but only 22 in the field.
Last edited by Cody on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

The registration form for ACF Regionals has been published by ACF. I have linked it in my original announcement, at the end of the Registration & fees section, as well as quoted it below.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I am in the process of updating the field & placing the appropriate teams on the waitlist. Sorry for the delay!

For those who will be on the waitlist: there's no reason to fret! This is just a precautionary measure as I confirm staff. I expect to be able to accommodate every team currently in the field and probably more.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

What is the status of the waitlist?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Cody

Post by Cody »

Xochicuicatl Cuecuechtli wrote:What is the status of the waitlist?
I have updated the field list; apologies for the delay. I am still in the process of recruiting staff; I have not had enough confirms at the moment.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I hope to have an update on field expansion tonight. If not, I will definitely have an announcement by mid-day tomorrow. Depending on how many staff have confirmed their presence by tonight/tomorrow, it may wind up being a two-stage field expansion (so that I can at least tell x number of teams that they are definitely in the field, instead of waiting to do a final field expansion all at once). At this point, I'm pretty confident that we'll be able to host all the teams that are currently signed up.

If any teams have staffers or are coming from the north with spare car space -- get in touch with me! The moderator discount for this tournament is $20 and we may be able to work out more lucrative arrangements for your staff or time. You'll also be leapfrogged to the top of the waitlist if you can guarantee that you can bring a good moderator with you.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Effective immediately the field has been expanded to 21 teams. I hope to have some more news this Saturday at the latest. (the VCU house team will most likely be dropped as we have cannibalized it for staff).
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

All teams will be receiving an email about logistics from me this morning. Expect a request to confirm your registration by replying! The registration process has left us with some drops and adds that have created coordination issues :)
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cody wrote:All teams will be receiving an email about logistics from me this morning. Expect a request to confirm your registration by replying! The registration process has left us with some drops and adds that have created coordination issues :)
All team contacts & all staffers should've received e-mails from me. If this is not the case, get in touch with me at [email protected] ASAP!
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

A few teams have dropped & we have added Virginia C to bring our field to 22. I am currently exploring the possibility of adding a house team to get us to a nice 23 team schedule. Otherwise we will be doing an 11-team round robin in 2 brackets then likely splitting 3/2/2/2/2, which will take quite a while :/
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Brief results

Maryland and Virginia are playing the final. Duke was third and second undergraduate. University of Pennsylvania was fourth. Maryland C was D2 champion. Gettysburg was D2 runner up.

Full recap and stats will come tomorrow at latest.

Prelim stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/

edit: Maryland held the advantage and beat Virginia in one game to win the tournament. Virginia was also first place undergraduate.
Last edited by Cody on Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Cody wrote:Brief results

Maryland and Virginia are playing the final. Duke was third and second undergraduate. University of Pennsylvania was fourth. Maryland C was D2 champion. Gettysburg was D2 runner up.

Full recap and stats will come tomorrow at latest.

Prelim stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
I'm glad that this tournament can validate for me that only top teams are going to DI ICT
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Cody

Post by Cody »

The final was played and I updated my previous post (Maryland won).

Please note that this set is NOT clear (there are mirrors tomorrow and elsewise). You can find a discussion forum by heading to Usergroups under your User Control Panel.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Stats are finished. Playoffs & finals / combined & finals (note that the combined is all sorts of out of order and the playoffs stats do not explicitly indicate a tie for placement even though anyone with the same W-L record in the playoffs is tied). Please let me know if you notice any errors!
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody

Post by Cody »

After an awesome 3 hour nap this afternoon, I dove back in to the stats and fixed everything up.

Playoffs stats, including finals, overall rank, UG rank, and D2 rank. Combined stats, including all games, overall rank, UG rank, and D2 rank. As mentioned previously, if you notice any errors, I'd be happy to take a look at the scoresheet and fix anything input incorrectly. E-mail me at the above address.

Now for the tournament wrap-up: a huge thanks goes out to every single staffer who showed up yesterday, no matter for how long: Will Alston, Sarah Angelo, Stephen Badger, Nate Boughner, Tommy Casalaspi, Matt Duckworth, Andrew Feist, Jonathan Magin, Akshata Pisharody, and Matt Weiner. Also included are the full-time staffers from the VCU club, Bobby Jacobs, David Robie, and Raven Smith, and the members of the house team who helped out by rotating through staffing: Siddharth Hariharan, Daniel Ogburn, Najwa Watson, and Neil Wilcox-Cook. Trying to keep the tournament to a reasonable length meant our staffing corp was spread extremely thin and every single staffer was absolutely critical to actually running the tournament.

I'd also like to single out the following people for going above and beyond: Will, Tommy, and Akshata for signing up at varying definitions of the last minute; Jonathan for taking the time to come from quite a distance; Stephen for coming even farther and being super awesome; Andrew and Matt W. for splitting stats with me over lunch and getting them knocked out.

I'd also like to thank all the teams for coming out to the tournament and working with me to make sure it went off smoothly (working through rosters before and at the tournament, showing up on time, &c). I hope everyone had a great time!
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.