OAT at Carleton University (May 6)

Old college threads.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

OAT at Carleton University (May 6)

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Carleton University will be holding an open mirror of the Oxford American Tournament on May 6th. Post here or contact me through any means to register a team or express interest as a free agent. A team formation spreadsheet will be created closer to tournament day to sort out any remaining free agents.

Sunday will be a FLOREAT mirror along with any minor side event that comes up.

The control room is Paterson 115. Building PA on this map, nearest parking lot is P1. Plenty of maps around campus if you get lost, just beware of the Carleton Minotaur.

Fees:
Saturday: $20/person
Sunday: Free

A signup sheet can be found here

Field:
FEAR (Faheem, Erik, Aaron, Rein)
Ottawa
McGill
Carleton
Adam and the Usual Suspects
Toronto
Last edited by Fado Alexandrino on Fri May 05, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Re: OAT at Carleton University (May 6)

The control room for this weekend will be Paterson 115. This is the same building that SCT and the mirrors of Fight the Power and HIT occurred earlier this year.

Please be ready to play for 9 am on Saturday and Sunday

The buffet will NOT be open. As such, Lunch will be tentatively scheduled to be 90 minutes long. Tim Horton's and Subway on campus will be open, along with a variety of stuff along Bronson or Sunnyside. Ordering in or driving someone would be another option. More details incoming.

Saturday will be $20/person (should be a discount from previous listed price) and Sunday is free.
Last edited by Fado Alexandrino on Fri May 05, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Su, OCT
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

It has been brought to my attention that there is a critically low amount of eating establishments open during this tournament, as our usual go-to favourite, the famous Carleton buffet, is closed.

Thus, the only confirmed open lunch place on campus is the Tim Hortons in Residence Commons (the Athletics Tims does not serve meals) from 9 AM to 3 PM.

Possibly open places on campus:
Subway, Athletics Building. Very likely open if my word-of-mouth sources are correct, but not sure if it will be open at lunch
Rooster's, University Centre: serves wraps and all-day breakfast bagel sandwiches. Likely open.
Oliver's Pub, University Centre: serves burgers and other pub food. Definitely closed Sunday; if open Saturday, maybe not by noon.
Unnamed secret Chinese food place, CTTC Building. Serves North American and authentic Chinese food. My friends say it's open 11 to 3 on Saturdays during the school year, so I'm going to say unlikely on this being open during the summer.

Even when I said they were likely open, they may not be, so don't blame me for this.

Closest eating establishments to Carleton's campus:
The intersection of Sunnyside and Seneca, a 20 minute walk from Paterson Hall according to Google maps, or a 2 minute bus ride on the 7, has the following two places to eat:
Milano's Pizza. You can ask if they deliver to Carleton, or you can walk.
Burrito Shack

EDIT: I forgot that Bronson Avenue has food. Take Bus #4 for about 5 minutes to get to a McDonalds, a Harvey's, a donair place, and other eating establishments.

Taking the O-train (comes every 8-15 minutes on weekends, I forget exactly) for 7 minutes to Greenboro Station (south terminus) gives you access to South Keys Shopping Centre, which has Mucho Burrito, Thai Express, McDonalds, the Loblaws Meals to Go section, and other typical strip mall eateries.

If you feel you are a very fast walker and/or have a car, the next closest places are just south of South Keys station (1 minute bus from Greenboro station plus a 5 minute+ walk) or Bank Street (25 minute walk or 5 minute drive from Carleton), where there are significantly more options, but I don't recommend it in the interest of time unless you have a car.

I'm not the TD and the Carleton Quiz and Trivia team is not responsible for obtaining lunch (i.e. there is no guarantee that we will organize a large group order), but we encourage teams to make plans with other teams for large orders and/or carpooling.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Don't rely on public transit to get you back from lunch!

Start time for Sunday is going to be 9 AM as well, in order to adjust for the lunch break and to get all the out of towners on the road by 3pm. Expecting a double round robin from 9-12 and, lunch until 1:30, and then semis and finals.
Joe Su, OCT
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Stats!

Hope y'all enjoyed yourselves. Thanks especially to Shervin, Yana, Dmytro, and Kyla for coming to staff, and Julien who popped by later to read in place of me so I could go finish up the stats.
Joe Su, OCT