Alabama '05-'06

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

Who all is going to be at Snead on the 31st?
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

I know BMHS will be going, but not sure on how many teams we'll be bringing.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

From the email that I got there looks to be around 36 teams or so, 6 pools of six..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

Do you know how they are going to divide the pools? It seems like last year they put the teams in pools based on the size of the schools they were from.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Somerled wrote:Do you know how they are going to divide the pools? It seems like last year they put the teams in pools based on the size of the schools they were from.
From what I understand, it will once again be based on school size in the preliminary pools. Brindlee Mountain went from 1A to 2A, so we shouldn't be in the same pool as CCA this year.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I am now wondering what our pool will look like..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

I think I can handle not being in a pool with Brindlee Mountain.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

So Somerled, are you Carter or Matthew, or perhaps someone else?
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

Matthew
Hobodog
Lulu

Post by Hobodog »

As of the last time I talked to my teacher (2wks ago) she had not been able to get the Snead State coordinators to return any of her emails or phone calls. Hopefully she got us line up...otherwise, maybe we will see you at NAQT State and our underclassmen might go to the BM Fun Tourney if its still on.
ASFA Tournament Champions 2003,2004,2006
---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by announcing this before Matt Dennis, but he has informed me that he will be hosting an NAQT Alabama Junior Varsity State Championship in conjunction with his already-planned middle school state tournament. This puts a big smile on my face, especially since my starting varsity team is all 10th graders :smile: .

I just hope that enough teams will enter so that it will be held. It turns out that so few middle school teams entered that he had to expand the field to JV teams. That's really sad that middle school teams in Alabama won't support a format different from (and better than) ASCA.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Thanks Lee.. I appreciate it. I will be emailing coaches in the AM about the specifics of the tournament. And I am like Lee it is kinda of disappointing that we didn't get that many middle school teams but some of may have been the timing of the tournament. But I feel that next year that we will have some more participation from all schools
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Is anyone else who is going to NAQT State having a terrible time finding somewhere near Marion to stay?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Tents and sleeping bags Lee... just go camp on the grounds :smile:
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

You could always go stay at MMI... That way you KNOW you and your team would both be awake in plenty of time to get to the tournament. :lol:
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Hey Steven, Can you email me at matthewd44 at hotmail.com I need to ask you a favor it you can swing it
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

When we (Faulkner) went to Marion, both years, for NAQT Sectionals we stayed in Selma at the St. James.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Snead State Results:
1st: Bob Jones
2nd: ASFA
Semis: CCA and Brindlee

All Tournament Team:
1. Matthew H. of CCA
2. Matt of Southside
3. DJ of ASFA
4. Andy of Brindlee Mountain

My day began and ended with losses but the wins in between were pretty sweet, considering we finally broke the 500 point barrier (twice!) and came close a couple of other times. In the playoffs we defeated Buckhorn relatively soundly, won a ridiculously close game with Brindlee, and then kinda crashed in the finals, although we managed to keep it close until the end. Now we've got to start planning for Chicago.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

Congratulations to Bob Jones and ASFA. We lost to Bob Jones, who played a great game, in the semifinals. Snead State did a good job on the tournament.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I thought it went well... except for waiting on Hartselle to show up
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Snead was a good tournament. I do wish that they had used -5s and powers. I think that might have changed the outcome in some close matches. I know that Bob Jones beat CCA on a tie-breaker, so I'm willing to bet that having powers or negs would've affected that match.

Also, I want to give huge props to CCA. To have performed that well (#1 seed, losing only to Bob Jones on a tie-breaker in the semis) without Carter is huge. Carter is usually the MVP of tournaments, with Matthew not far behind. However, without Carter, Matthew becomes tournament MVP. Carter and Matt may well be the two best individual players in the state - and they are on the same team....

Also, one has to wonder how awesome Bob Jones would be had David John not gone to ASFA.... I'm sorta glad he did.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

I suppose one could think Bob Jones would be that much better, but I used to hear a lot of "what ifs" with teams back in the day (meaning, last year and before). One thing that I've realized about quiz bowl schools, and perennial powerhouses/strong teams is that each team usually has a number of strong players, and that very rarely changes unless a drastic change (i.e. cut funding, school redistricting, coach leaving, etc) occurs at the school. At LAMP, we had George Nelson around 5 or more years back, and after he left everyone thought we would be down, but then Tony McCall stepped up as a senior and Alex Cheng greatly assisted him. The year after that, people were saying some of the same things about us, but Alex stepped his game up, and Jay and I moved up from varsity and improved throughout the year to back Alex up. We went through that year finishing in the semifinals at Brookwood (a 120 team mega-tournament, considered by some to be THE most important pre-national), and fourth at ASCA states. After Alex left, everyone REALLY thought LAMP would be down, because Alex put up fantastic numbers the year before, and I was the closest to him at about 30 to 35 PPG. Still, in the next year, Jay and I were seniors, and we carried the team to a number of victories both in and out of state throughout the year, and finished 3rd in the state at the end of the year. (Although our nationals run sucked.) And, from what I hear, LAMP's not exactly sucking it up this year at all. In fact, I was very impressed with their level of play when I read for them at Brindlee's tournament in the fall. Once again, another group of people have stepped up to fill what was left behind when Jay, Khayala, and I left last year.

I'm not trying to pimp my former team, or my team's performance during the years I played on it, but what I am trying to do is say that having good coaches (Lynne Huett and Janice Samford), and support from our school enabled our program to remain strong, and that continued strength motivated a number of people to step up and take the reigns to preserve that name that our predecessors had built.

Whew, that was an extremely long, complex reply for such a harmless assertion. Anyway, it wasn't really a jab at the assertion so much as at a prevailing attitude that I've noticed throughout the nation with regards to the sport. I'll sum it up with this: If a team's good a couple of years in a row, don't act shocked if they come back the next year after losing their leading scorers and play well.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Steven your whole post sums up a conversion my wife and I had the other day. She is just getting into the whole quiz bowl world and she was remarking about the number of teams that just have 1 or 2 players that seem to do all the scoring, which got me talking about what you talked about
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I'm going to be REALLY interested to see if BMHS can stay in the same ballpark when my varsity team graduates in a couple of years.... I hope we can pull a "LAMP" and stay competitive.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

If Kyle can step up with the support cast he has, I think you guys will be good. Tiffany and Rylee will need to play like they are capable of doing.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

On a side note for the NAQT Middle School/JV state
I have the following teams that are coming for sure

Pizitz (1)
Trinity Presbyterian School (1)
Scottsboro JH (2)
Whitesburg Middle (1)
Brindlee Mt Middle (3)

So far the JV all I have gotten is a few maybe's with Brindlee Mountain HS having 2 teams.

I would really like to have some more teams come to this...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Need some help fellow coaches...
I was contacted by the coach at Northeast Alabama Community College about help recruiting scholarship players for her team next year. She would like to start in Jackson and Dekalb county but I have a feeling if you have some that might fit the bill, I could forward the name on to her.
Thanks
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

The thing with teams with a strong player is that the rest of the team is probably pretty good, but just aren't quite as fast. For the best of the team, it's sometimes not necessary to have everyone try to do everything, which might create a case of too many chefs in one kitchen. I think when a team graduates a good class, the rest of them step it up and fill in the holes of those departed. I think Bob Jones has been pretty solid since I was a Jr. except for 2005. Of the freshmen that were there when I was a Sr., DJ was by far the only player worth noting so it's been good to see Lymphoma step it up. What if's are still fun to wonder though.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Obviously this has nothing to do with quiz bowl, but I've come to regard many of you on this board as my friends, and I thought you'd be interested to know that my wife and I found out yesterday that we will be first-time parents in about 8 months. We're really excited (and scared to death) :shock: .

So, to make this more quiz bowl related: Look out for Brindlee Mountain High School starting in about 2021!!!!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

Congratulations. That's a great way to build a team.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Somerled wrote:Congratulations. That's a great way to build a team.
LOL. That really wasn't our intention, but Myles Teston (senior on my team last year) came to visit me yesterday and his son is due in June. We realized that our kids will likely be in the same grade and almost in unison we said "That team is going to kick butt!" :grin: :grin:

But seriously, thanks for the congrats. We're just praying for a healthy kid.

As for quiz bowl news in Alabama, good luck to those of you who made it to ASCA state. I wish that Brindlee Mountain would be joining you guys at state tomorrow, but c'est la vie.

Without Brindlee Mountain in the running, I have to be honest and say that I'm pulling for CCA. I think that they genuinely deserve to win. My prediction for the top 4:

1) CCA
2) Grissom
3) Cullman
4) ASFA

BTW - Who is going to NAQT State in Marion?
Also, is anyone going to go to the NAQT JV State Tournament in Scottsboro? Right now, we're the only team registered, and Matt has said that he might have to cancel...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Holy crap...congrats, Lee. Maybe your two kids won't end up like me...the son of two high school athletes who happens to play scholars bowl and has the athleticism of a banana slug.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Ok, so seriously... What happened at State????
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

I just wanted to say congratulations to DJ and Lymphoma for your accomplishments. I still remember when you guys were little freshmen. I heard you guys still use the master lists I made. Haha.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Funny you should ask, Lee:

The Results of the 2006 Alabama Scholastic Challenge:
1. ASFA
2. Bob Jones
3. CCA
4. Indian Springs
5. Grissom and Hoover

All State Team
1. Daniel from Cullman
2. Carter from CCA
3. Captains from Southside and Bayside
5. DJ from ASFA
6. Captain from Hoover
(Sorry if I didn't remember your name)

OK, here's what happened:
In Pool A, the top three were Springs, Grissom, and Hoover (Cullman lost on the tiebreaker to Hoover), and in Pool B the top three were CCA, ASFA, and Bob Jones (LAMP was also in the pool but they lost to CCA, Bob Jones and Southside). In the "elimination round" ASFA beat Hoover in a pretty close game and Bob Jones beat Grissom after Grissom almost came back in their usual manner. Then in the semifinals Bob Jones beat Covenant Christian in a game where it was close but Bob Jones kept the lead pretty much the whole time. In the other semifinal game ASFA beat Indian Springs by a comfortable margin although Indian Springs played very well. The finals came down to ASFA and Bob Jones. We played a very close game with ASFA only having a 5 point lead going into the final period. The questions went back and forth until a Babe Ruth question came up, which Peilong got, much to Lymphoma's dismay. The question that finally decided the tournament was a question on Lyrical Ballads, which I got early into it (it would have been horrible if I missed it since I'm writing my research paper on "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"). The last question was on medullas, which Bob Jones got but didn't matter in the end. In the consolation match between Springs and CCA, the game came down to sudden death, which CCA won on. Congrats to all the teams, especially the top 4.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I'm speechless.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

Congratulations to everybody especially ASFA for winning. Bob Jones was really on for the playoffs. We had beaten them in the preliminaries, but they came back to win in the playoffs where it mattered. Congrats again
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Congrats to ASFA for winning and to the other teams for making it to the finals. My predictions were definitely wrong.

Also, how were the questions? Better or still infested with hoses?
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

A few interesting facts about the 2006 ASCA State Tournament:

Only one of the top four teams from last year made it into the top four this year (Springs).

Two (ASFA and CCA) of the top four teams had never made it to the top four before.

Neither #1 seed made it to the finals.

First time a player has made it to the top three in the state in two different years on two different teams.

Half the playoff teams were from the Birmingham area and the other half were from the Huntsville area.

2nd time Grissom hasn't made it to the top 4 in five years.

The top 3 teams were in the same pool for the preliminary rounds.

Three of the top four players' teams did not make the playoffs.

As for the question quality, it wasn't so much the questions I had a problem with as I did with the answers. A large number of the math questions had incorrect answers, and some of the other tossup questions had more than one correct answer but only listed one on the paper. There were also a number of hoses.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

I agree 100% with DJ. It wasn't that the questions were bad (though a few were ambiguous) but that there were multiple answers to several of the questions and the readers generally didn't use their discretion.
Captain Cullman
Lulu

Post by Captain Cullman »

Congratulations to ASFA for winning state. I just wish we had been around for the finals. It seems like I have bad rounds at the most inopportune times. Against Hoover I hesitated on some of the easiest questions I have ever heard to let them beat us. We just came up short in our other chance to make the playoffs losing to Indian Springs 265-260.

I have a few complaints about the tournament.

First, I'm tired of tournament directors claiming that their readers, timers, scorekeepers, etc. are "experienced" when they clearly aren't. When we played Hoover in the TV room, the timer cost us at least three questions because she called time too quickly after Hoover missed a question. Also, I am very sure that we were not getting ten seconds on computation questions. I don't know if correcting those problems would have changed the outcome of the game but it certainly cost us some points. In our match with St. Paul's, we had to instruct the timer on how to time every type of question.

Second, whoever wrote those questions should have had somebody check the math. The answers given to some of those questions were horrible such as a volumetric aswer having an inches squared unit and the multianswered line equation questions.

Third, if you're going to use a team's buzzer systems (I know that it is necessary to do this in order to have a tournament), please keep the box with the system. We spent thirty minutes looking for our buzzer system because the tournament helpers put it in another school's box.

Lastly, the tournament officials were rather discourteous about protests. When we protested that timing situation against Hoover, they just did not want to hear about it. They were sure that it would not have made a difference to the outcome of the game.

Although I had some problems with the tournaments handling, I still enjoyed it overall. Once again, congratulations to ASFA for winning and the rest of the teams who placed in the top four.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Ok... I've now regained the use of speech :wink:

Man, I've gotta give an ultra-huge mega CONGRATS to ASFA! David, I know you've gotta feel like you're on top of the world. I'm really happy for you. And for it to come down to you and Bob Jones - it's like poetry!!! Beautiful!!!

Also, I'd like to hear some examples of the "questions with multiple answers" you guys spoke of. If that was the case, it might be for the best that we weren't there. I kinda showed my rear at the Huntsville Invite when I couldn't get anyone to to even hear our protest that eliminated us. I let my temper get the best of me... and at state, it would've been ugly.

Anyway, congrats again, David. Please give Mr. Chatman my congratulations, too. It's been a long time coming for ASFA to win!

But seriously, is ANYONE here going to NAQT State in Marion?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

not us.. but we will be at NAQT state next year for sure..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

quizbowllee wrote:Also, I'd like to hear some examples of the "questions with multiple answers" you guys spoke of.
One example was when we played Indian Springs in the consolation round. On one question, they buzzed and answered "Toqueville." The moderator said that was incorrect because the underlined answer was "De Toqueville." Note, he had not prompted them or anything; he just declared them wrong.

But to make it fair, on one question I answered "Babar." The moderator said that I was incorrect. He said that the correct answer was "Babur." Turned out when I looked it up at home, that they were alternate spellings of the same person's name.

We also had to convince the moderator that 25/3 was acceptable for 8.33.

All in all, it was a good tournament. Congrats to ASFA.

Also, we will not be at NAQT State.
bdavery
Lulu

Post by bdavery »

Well, two out of three's not bad: your Babar and math examples do seem to have multiple answers, but I see no problem with not accepting "Toqueville" (sp) for Alexis de Tocqueville.
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/blog
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Somerled is correct. Not even prompting on Tocqueville is an injustice. I would accept it without prompting even if some writer did underline de.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

ReinsteinD wrote:Somerled is correct. Not even prompting on Tocqueville is an injustice. I would accept it without prompting even if some writer did underline de.
Yeah - I don't think I've ever answered that "De Tocqueville" in my life. Also, even if that was underlined and deemed necessary, it should have been prompted.

We say "Goya" instead of "de Goya," so what is the difference???
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

Captain Cullman wrote:Second, whoever wrote those questions should have had somebody check the math.
One of the moderators at State said that they didn't have anybody that really knew math. He said that they checked all the questions except the math ones due to their lack of knowledge in that area.
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Anybody know the points scored by the top 6??

Congrats to AFSA on their win and Bob Jones, CCA, and Indian Springs on their placing. I guess we could have done better if it were not for our extreme sluggishness in the morning.

Does anyone know when is the deadline for NAQT state??
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Here is the last field update we got for NAQT State this Saturday. This is the field as of a month ago, and I hope we get an updated field today...

Brindlee Mountain HS (2 teams)

Brindlee Mountain Middle School

Oak Mountain HS

Bob Jones HS

Pickens Co. HS

Indian Springs HS

Shelby Co. HS

Mountain Brook HS

Ashford HS

Russelville HS

Predictions?

Personally, I feel that the top 3 will likely be (in some order):

Bob Jones, Indian Springs, Brindlee Mountain A

Mountain Brook might make some noise, too, if they're on like they were in the playoffs at ASFA....

I've never heard of Ashford, and I know nothing about Oak Mountain - are they any good?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School