2017 Small School Pre-Nationals Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Chromica
Lulu

2017 Small School Pre-Nationals Discussion

Post by Chromica »

With a little over a month left before the 2017 Small School National Championship Tournament, I thought it would be beneficial to start some discussion regarding some of the top teams. To determine this, I simply took the top A teams from the "Preseason Poll" thread (plus some others that have stood out to me throughout the season) that are currently registered for either division of SSNCT. Please feel free to add your own thoughts/comments to what I have to say. I will not be making any sort of predictions on performance beyond general observations, as this is supposed to be less mere observations and hopefully more conversation-starters.

Camp Hill: Doubtless the best team going into SSNCT. No one does quizbowl better than we do. Absolutely fantastic. It's all in our book, The Art of the Buzz. It'll be yuge. Just you wait.

Cooperstown- The one-two punch of Wriley Nelson and Thomas Knight looks potent, so they should expect to make a more-than-decent finish at SSNCT.

Danville- Danville is looking good this year, led by a very strong Daniel McAllister and supported well by Anas Gondal. They should perform quite well at SSNCT this year.

Drummond- Seniors Tyler and C.J. are looking to lead Drummond to a very respectable finish at this year's SSNCT. However, since Oklahoma is relatively isolated geographically quizbowl-wise, it's had to tell how they'll perform against other small schools.

Glasgow- A VERY strong team in my opinion, and very well balanced. There's not much more to say beyond that they are looking to go deep this year at SSNCT.

Hallsville- The one-time champion, one-time runner up at SSNCT has changed a lot since I first became acquainted with them at the 2015 SSNCT. Sophomore Samuel Lockwood has shown significant improvement in particular. So while Hallsville is still very much rebuilding, I expect a decent finish for them.

Lakeland- The three man team of Ty, Stephen, and Michael from last year's t-25th run at SSNCT are all returning this year. With this being the former two's senior years, they seem poised to improve upon last year's finish.

Macomb- Macomb has rebuilt far faster than I expected, especially after having lost their two best players. Despite this, they remain strong and should not be underestimated.

Raceland-Worthington- From what little tournament data exists for this team, they seem to be pretty strong and decently balanced, and definitely looking to improve on their t-17th placement from last year.

Southwestern- This team seems poised for a strong run led by Jacob Simmons, and fine backing performances by Jonathan and Lana Tutterow. They're locked in a battle with Macomb for small school dominance, which looks to be a tight race indeed.

West Point- West Point graduated two excellent players last year after a strong t-5th run at SSNCT last year. Despite this, they still seem strong, led by Will and Tom Parker, and a host of strong teammates.
Last edited by Chromica on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
-Camp Hill HS (2013-2017), Captain 2016-2017
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Re: Small School Pre-Nationals Discussion

Post by LaurenJernstadt »

Being from the beautiful mitten state, I'm hoping Michigan can represent pretty well at SSNCT. We have five teams attending this year as opposed to three last year. Although the highest a Michigan team finished last year was T-33rd (Fulton and White Cloud with Bad Axe not making it past Prelims), I'm hoping and strongly believe that a Michigan team could possibly come home with a trophy. Between the Michigan schools attending SSNCT so far - Brethren, Fulton, Kent City, Shelby, and White Cloud - I believe that Fulton and White Cloud have the strongest chances of possibly making a run for a trophy. I came to this conclusion by looking at stats from this year's tournaments each team competed against as well as the fact that my team has competed against White Cloud and Kent City this year on QuizBusters, and I recently viewed Brethren's QuizBusters episode that was uploaded this past weekend. The only team that I have not witnessed this year is Shelby, but stats from their only NAQT tournament this year, the Jan Rademacher Tournament, doesn't quite put them on the radar.

All in all, when it comes to the discussion on Michigan teams, I believe Fulton and White Cloud are the mitten state's strongest teams heading into the SSNCT.
Lauren Jernstadt
Fulton High School Varsity Captain
2016-2017 Quiz Bowl Season
troyharris
Wakka

Post by troyharris »

I have to give a plug to our kids here in Plymouth. Last year they finished 17th at SSNCT and were a buzzer-beater loss to Good Hope away from the quarter finals, and they had the bad fortunate of facing Lehigh Valley twice. This year's team has played very well when the A team is together, which has been challenging. They are 2-0 against AMSA A this year and also beat Acton-Boxboro A, and despite losing, they led LASA A at halftime at Harvard Fall, and were up on Lexington A at question 15 with only 1 A team regular player before Colin took over the match. They had a convincing win over Drummond last year (360-120) at SSNCT and return two ACE camp players (Sean Harris (12) and Rhys Harris (9)) along with other experienced players (Jack Friedman, Ian Desmarais, Richard Lyons). They also went 48-0 in the New Hampshire state league and were the small-school champions at the Vermont NAQT meet as well as the top small school at MIT Fall and MATCH at AMSA. Sean was strong at the Lincoln camp as a sophomore and was 14h overall at SSNCT last year, and won the Vermont History Bee, while finishing runner-up in NH to teammate Richard Lyons, who won the New Hampshire Bee. Rhys finished fourth in the final room last year at camp in Louisville with many players from the other teams mentioned in your post (Hallsville, Glasgow, R-W) present, and was second overall at MATCH at AMSA behind Colin Cantwell this year, although those individual results aren't posted on NAQT. He also finished 3rd overall at Vermont NAQT behind Alex He and Nick Norton, two incredibly strong players on a super-talented Essex A team from Vermont. They are good enough to sneak up on some people if they get hot and keep their negs in check.
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
bolshevik
Lulu

Post by bolshevik »

prediction: Hallsville wins SSNCT, Sam is top scorer (for traditional public division ofc)

Okay so we've only played them once and won't see them again until nats but I think it's safe to say as for small schools (and in the future maybe schools in general) in Missouri we will both be dominant forces and they will be our chief rival. Sam is really good.

As for us we're all sophomores, which is cool I guess.
Em Powers (they/them)
WUSTL 2023
browen
Lulu

Post by browen »

Since it had been asked in the Midseason Poll thread, I made a Small School Ranking of the teams registered for SSNCT (as I knew which division they were in). This was done the second week of March.

Traditional Public:
1. Danville
2. Glasgow
3. Southwestern
4. West Point
5. Raceland-Worthington

Charter/Private
1. St. Mark's
2. Mounds Park
3. Winchester Thurston
4. Miami Valley
5. St. Martin's Episcopal
Brian Owen
Dorman High School Assistant Coach (2014-present)
Dorman '13
5/31/2009: Never Forget
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Ottawa Hills A leads the line for Ohio. On IS-158 in league play, they averaged 18 ppb and broke 500 (over 24 tossups) 3 times in 7 matches. I always want to see them play more, but it never seems to hurt them when this tournament comes around.

Newbury returns most of the team that finished t-25 last year; they should be in that 15th to 30th range again. If Beachwood qualifies at state and goes, they should be in the discussion for a trophy. Ben Logan should make the playoffs, as should Smithville A (if they don't withdraw).

Evergreen was impressive on Saturday at Eastwood for a team that hadn't played NAQT in a few seasons. They'll need to get some practice in on harder material and playing on the clock in the next month to be in with a shot at playoffs, but the talent is there.

United Local was the best small school in the Mahoning League this season, but they didn't push HSNCT-registered Boardman as hard as Lowellville did last year. Of course, Boardman has improved since last year. It's going to be a tall order to improve the 2 games they need to make playoffs. I think they can do it.

Clinton-Massie, Ottawa Hills B, Smithville B, Waverly, and Waynedale have experience. Ottawa Hills B can get to 5 wins for sure; they did last year, then beat their A team in the first round.

Chippewa, Greenfield McClain, Mohawk, Ottawa Hills C, Southeast, Streetsboro, and Swanton are all new. Out of that crew, Swanton has had the best numbers but Ottawa Hills C may surprise somebody.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Go, Camp Hill!
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

browen wrote:Since it had been asked in the Midseason Poll thread, I made a Small School Ranking of the teams registered for SSNCT (as I knew which division they were in). This was done the second week of March.
On what criteria was this ranking based?
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
browen
Lulu

Post by browen »

Chromica wrote:
browen wrote:Since it had been asked in the Midseason Poll thread, I made a Small School Ranking of the teams registered for SSNCT (as I knew which division they were in). This was done the second week of March.
On what criteria was this ranking based?
PPB on NAQT sets, priority given to teams that have scored higher than 20 on IS sets. Southwestern was bumped up because they played SCT, which is likely the hardest set anyone going to SSNCT has played. There were a number of teams in the 23-24 PPB range on A sets so I didn't think the 2 tenths between them was statistically significant (trash and math on As are too easy to 30, imo).

Charter/Private division is much harder to predict after the Top 2. All the talk this year from Minnesota has highlighted just how well Sidney from Mounds Park has performed this year, but going up against a more balanced St. Mark's team will be tough. It should be noted that I made the rankings before Winchester Thurston's impressive victory at Battle of the Burgh.
Brian Owen
Dorman High School Assistant Coach (2014-present)
Dorman '13
5/31/2009: Never Forget
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

browen wrote:PPB on NAQT sets, priority given to teams that have scored higher than 20 on IS sets. Southwestern was bumped up because they played SCT, which is likely the hardest set anyone going to SSNCT has played. There were a number of teams in the 23-24 PPB range on A sets so I didn't think the 2 tenths between them was statistically significant (trash and math on As are too easy to 30, imo).

Charter/Private division is much harder to predict after the Top 2. All the talk this year from Minnesota has highlighted just how well Sidney from Mounds Park has performed this year, but going up against a more balanced St. Mark's team will be tough. It should be noted that I made the rankings before Winchester Thurston's impressive victory at Battle of the Burgh.
I see. So a slightly more holistic version of Fred Morlan's ranking. I think I would have to agree with the general way your ranking played out, though I'm interested in hearing the justification for ranking Danville above Glasgow.

Also, it should be noted that Pittsburgh tournaments are notorious for having screwy PPB records, and it's likely that was the case for this most recent Battle of the Burgh, so take Winchester Thurston's impressive 23 PPB with a grain of salt.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
Revauld
Kimahri

Post by Revauld »

Hoping to revive this seemingly dead thread as I would love to see more discussion on Small School Nationals as it seems there is very little talk about it. Unfortunately I only have knowledge of the previously mentioned geographically isolated region of Oklahoma. I do have a question regarding the size of other teams attending Small School Nationals, as I'm trying to prove that Drummond really is the smallest small school. We have an enrollment of barely 70 in grades 10-12 with only around 90 in the entire high school. I would love to find out if there is another team our size which competes at SSNCT. Thanks!
Tyler Morrison
Drummond HS Player, Senior
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

Revauld wrote:I do have a question regarding the size of other teams attending Small School Nationals, as I'm trying to prove that Drummond really is the smallest small school. We have an enrollment of barely 70 in grades 10-12 with only around 90 in the entire high school. I would love to find out if there is another team our size which competes at SSNCT. Thanks!
Unfortunately, you are not the smallest school attending SSNCT. Lake City Community School has a mere 38 students, so I think they take the cake on that one (unless someone else is even smaller, which would be insane). Other than that, I'm not sure if it's possible for someone like you or I to directly get access to information like that.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Lake City is the smallest public school currently registered for the 2017 SSNCT (31 students in grades 10-12). Drummond is second (66). Two others are under 100: Exeter (68) and Pilot Grove (79).
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Jonah, our school isn't listed on the field page as a very small school even though the total student population at Fulton is 191 students (Grades 9-12). Does my coach need to contact NAQT about this?
Also, I haven't seen any conversation yet about the Private/Charter Division! Who is going to take the top prize out the that group of schools?
Three weeks till small schools take on the Windy City guys! Are any of your teams going to do fun stuff other than the mental brawl we call quiz bowl? Fulton plans on touring Chicago that Friday during the day and make a stop at Giordano's pizza at least once during the weekend.
Lauren Jernstadt
Chromica
Lulu

Re: 2017 Small School Pre-Nationals Discussion

Post by Chromica »

Question, Jonah. How often have schools with prior/no enrollment information been checked/updated? I'm just curious regarding Camp Hill's status as a Very Small School (if you remember, I asked about this back in late February).

Also as a general comment piggybacking off of what Tyler said earlier today, I would really like to see more discussion regarding this year's SSNCT, and for small schools in general. While I understand that HSNCT, being 2.5x-3x times larger than SSNCT, naturally gets more attention overall, I think this area is at times criminally overlooked, especially for two factors:

1. The whole situation regarding the division of SSNCT this year and what implications that has.
2. There is, in my opinion, no clear favorite to win Nationals this year, at least not like in years past with AMSA, Harmony Science North Austin, and Hallsville.

I'd just love to see more discussion, though I do understand that at times it's harder to get a good read on the overall situation.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

LaurenJernstadt wrote:Jonah, our school isn't listed on the field page as a very small school even though the total student population at Fulton is 191 students (Grades 9-12). Does my coach need to contact NAQT about this?
Yes; please ask your coach to e-mail [email protected] with the exact current enrollment in grades 10 through 12.
LaurenJernstadt wrote:Fulton plans on touring Chicago that Friday during the day and make a stop at Giordano's pizza at least once during the weekend.
Go to Lou Malnati's instead. (Speaking for myself, not NAQT; there is internal disagreement over which is better, but I'm right.)

Chromica wrote:Question, Jonah. How often have schools with prior/no enrollment information been checked/updated? I'm just curious regarding Camp Hill's status as a Very Small School (if you remember, I asked about this back in late February).
I thought I fixed Camp Hill back then, but perhaps not! I just tried it again. If something gets messed up again, please e-mail us at [email protected].
Jonah Greenthal
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

jonah wrote:
LaurenJernstadt wrote:Fulton plans on touring Chicago that Friday during the day and make a stop at Giordano's pizza at least once during the weekend.
Go to Lou Malnati's instead. (Speaking for myself, not NAQT; there is internal disagreement over which is better, but I'm right.)
Ricky Rivera presents, a lesson on Chicago Pizza for the edification of all parties involved:
- Unos/Due: The OG of deep dish pizza, you can never go wrong. Pretty popular with tourists though, so be prepared.
- Lou Malnati's: High quality, has helped me through many a tournament as the pizza of choice for several teams in the Illinois area. Probably lowest wait time.
- Giordano's: BE WARNED DO NOT GO. Giordano's has an insanely long wait for food that is not that good. Factual statement, end of review.

My recommendation: For a lunch, Lou's is better, for a fancier Pizza dinner, Unos would be better.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Ricky Rivera presents, a lesson on Chicago Pizza for the edification of all parties involved:
- Unos/Due: The OG of deep dish pizza, you can never go wrong. Pretty popular with tourists though, so be prepared.
- Lou Malnati's: High quality, has helped me through many a tournament as the pizza of choice for several teams in the Illinois area. Probably lowest wait time.
- Giordano's: BE WARNED DO NOT GO. Giordano's has an insanely long wait for food that is not that good. Factual statement, end of review.

My recommendation: For a lunch, Lou's is better, for a fancier Pizza dinner, Unos would be better.[/quote]
Thank you Jonah and Ricky for the Pizza lesson! How much of a hassle is it to get to either Lou or Unos on a Saturday Night. Our plan for pizza is more than likely to head out Saturday after matches are over with, and our initial plan was to call ahead at Giordano's with rsevetvations and our order so its ready when we get there. My coach more than likely will want to stay in Rosemont when it cones to dining.
Lauren Jernstadt
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

I can't speak to its quality relative to others, but I know Giordanos offers delivery. Last night after ICT it took about an hour to get here.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:Ottawa Hills A leads the line for Ohio. On IS-158 in league play, they averaged 18 ppb and broke 500 (over 24 tossups) 3 times in 7 matches. I always want to see them play more, but it never seems to hurt them when this tournament comes around.

Newbury returns most of the team that finished t-25 last year; they should be in that 15th to 30th range again. If Beachwood qualifies at state and goes, they should be in the discussion for a trophy. Ben Logan should make the playoffs, as should Smithville A (if they don't withdraw).

Evergreen was impressive on Saturday at Eastwood for a team that hadn't played NAQT in a few seasons. They'll need to get some practice in on harder material and playing on the clock in the next month to be in with a shot at playoffs, but the talent is there.

United Local was the best small school in the Mahoning League this season, but they didn't push HSNCT-registered Boardman as hard as Lowellville did last year. Of course, Boardman has improved since last year. It's going to be a tall order to improve the 2 games they need to make playoffs. I think they can do it.

Clinton-Massie, Ottawa Hills B, Smithville B, Waverly, and Waynedale have experience. Ottawa Hills B can get to 5 wins for sure; they did last year, then beat their A team in the first round.

Chippewa, Greenfield McClain, Mohawk, Ottawa Hills C, Southeast, Streetsboro, and Swanton are all new. Out of that crew, Swanton has had the best numbers but Ottawa Hills C may surprise somebody.
Greg, I notcied that Van Wert hasn't applied for SSNCT yet even though they were quite competitive when we played them at the Hicksville Tournament. Do you know why they haven't registered yet? Do they not plan on attending?
Lauren Jernstadt
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

LaurenJernstadt wrote: Thank you Jonah and Ricky for the Pizza lesson! How much of a hassle is it to get to either Lou or Unos on a Saturday Night. Our plan for pizza is more than likely to head out Saturday after matches are over with, and our initial plan was to call ahead at Giordano's with rsevetvations and our order so its ready when we get there. My coach more than likely will want to stay in Rosemont when it cones to dining.
There are Lou's and Unos outside the city in the north burbs (Buffalo Grove and Schaumburg, respectively, both about a half hour out and not as busy as the ones in Chicago proper) but I see what you saying. If you do go to Giordano's, you should definitely order ahead or do delivery (good suggestion Eric), especially if you have a full team.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

There's a Giordano's two blocks from the hotel — easily walkable or they deliver (but it's slow). The Lou's recommendation was for while you're in the city; there's no location close to the hotel (but there is one close enough to drive to pick up from). I think Uno's is only in the city.
Jonah Greenthal
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

I love how this forum went from discussing Small School domination to the best place to get pizza :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lauren Jernstadt
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Speaking as a new transplant to this area, I agree with Jonah that Lou's is better (it's the crust).

Also, if you order online, please make sure you actually press submit (not calling anyone out here).
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
Revauld
Kimahri

Post by Revauld »

jonah wrote:Lake City is the smallest public school currently registered for the 2017 SSNCT (31 students in grades 10-12). Drummond is second (66). Two others are under 100: Exeter (68) and Pilot Grove (79).
Thanks guys for answering my question! Wow that's insane, 31 students? We're not even close to the smallest haha. Also, personally I'm a fan of this new conversation topic of pizza and will definitely pass it onto our team cause we were planning to get some Giordano's while there, but now I see we have a few more options!
Tyler Morrison
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

A history of this thread so far:

1. Beginning

2. Brief, quality discussion is had.

3. ded

4. Resurrected kinda

5. Hijacked by pizza

6. ded

*sigh*

Can't say I expected much better.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Greg, I notcied that Van Wert hasn't applied for SSNCT yet even though they were quite competitive when we played them at the Hicksville Tournament. Do you know why they haven't registered yet? Do they not plan on attending?
I haven't heard from Van Wert much at all since Hicksville.

Also, since my last post Warren Champion has registered. They are a first-time national participant and they will either be arriving late Friday night or early Saturday morning, which doesn't bode well for their chances even if they are given a bye in round 1.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Revauld
Kimahri

Post by Revauld »

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:
I haven't heard from Van Wert much at all since Hicksville.

Also, since my last post Warren Champion has registered. They are a first-time national participant and they will either be arriving late Friday night or early Saturday morning, which doesn't bode well for their chances even if they are given a bye in round 1.
Is it a common thing to arrive before Friday? We are arriving earlier this year but I know last year we didn't get there until very late Friday night.
Tyler Morrison
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Haven't heard much about Private/Charter Division. How do you think that will be sizing up so far considering it is only 32 teams and it being new to SSNCT?
And I know that NAQT hasn't updated the awards section yet on the SSNCT information page, but how many trophies do they plan on handing out in each division due to the field size increase (96 as opposed to 80 for traditional public) and addition of P/C Division?
Finally, any dark horses in either division that could surprise the field? I know we have talked about State Powerhouses and the schools that teaditionally do well at SSNCT (Hallsville, Danville, etc.), but what teams on the field map could cause a good scare for these teams? Maybe teams that could have done better last year if the field were strictly traditional public (Nothing against charter schools, but they made up some of the top few teams and individual award winners, pushing out other traditional public schools) but can possibly place higher due to the exclusion of charter schools in that division now?
Lauren Jernstadt
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Revauld wrote:Is it a common thing to arrive before Friday? We are arriving earlier this year but I know last year we didn't get there until very late Friday night.
My team is leaving after-school Thursday and touring Friday. I'm hoping we get back in time to crunch out one or two scrimmige rounds.

Fun Fact: we actually scrimmaged Advanced Math and Science last year. The only points we got were when they got a neg and my teammate rebounded.
Lauren Jernstadt
bolshevik
Lulu

Post by bolshevik »

LaurenJernstadt wrote:Haven't heard much about Private/Charter Division. How do you think that will be sizing up so far considering it is only 32 teams and it being new to SSNCT?
And I know that NAQT hasn't updated the awards section yet on the SSNCT information page, but how many trophies do they plan on handing out in each division due to the field size increase (96 as opposed to 80 for traditional public) and addition of P/C Division?
Finally, any dark horses in either division that could surprise the field? I know we have talked about State Powerhouses and the schools that teaditionally do well at SSNCT (Hallsville, Danville, etc.), but what teams on the field map could cause a good scare for these teams? Maybe teams that could have done better last year if the field were strictly traditional public (Nothing against charter schools, but they made up some of the top few teams and individual award winners, pushing out other traditional public schools) but can possibly place higher due to the exclusion of charter schools in that division now?
Hallsville is def the best small school in Missouri, and maybe we trail slightly behind them. Sam rarely negs - he is gonna be very dangerous to other perhaps stronger teams at nats.
Em Powers (they/them)
WUSTL 2023
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

bolshevik wrote:Hallsville is def the best small school in Missouri, and maybe we trail slightly behind them. Sam rarely negs - he is gonna be very dangerous to other perhaps stronger teams at nats.
Yeah, Hallsville was our first match of Prelims and our first loss of the day. We tried our best, but they are one strong team. Definitely a disturbance in the force!
Lauren Jernstadt
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

Revauld wrote:Is it a common thing to arrive before Friday? We are arriving earlier this year but I know last year we didn't get there until very late Friday night.
I know that Camp Hill usually only arrives mid-late Friday, so it's certainly not an uncommon scenario.
LaurenJernstadt wrote:Haven't heard much about Private/Charter Division. How do you think that will be sizing up so far considering it is only 32 teams and it being new to SSNCT?
I know that last year the top 16 teams got a trophy, and the next step up would be top 24 (based on last years distribution of positions), so I would bet it would stay at 16 this year. Regarding the C/P division, I'd venture to guess top 4 or up to t5 (however many that ends up being). Regarding the VSS division, I know from when my team did this back at HSNCT that only the top 3 got trophies. However, given that the VSS division at this year's SSNCT is significantly larger than the Small School division at HSNCT ever was (49 vs. ~25), it could easily be more, maybe top 10?

Now dark horses. I know that in the C/P division, St. Mark's is a favorite to win this year, I've seen, at least from stats, that Miami Valley and Winchester Thurston are both quite good as well. Either could topple St. Marks on a good day, but I'd say a major upset is unlikely.

The Traditional Public is a bit different IMO. There's no clear favorite, as I've said earlier. However, I'd say that given the more level playing field this year, multiple upsets are possible. I mean just look at last year's HSNCT to see where a good day and some aggressive playing can get you.

Certainly, had the C/P schools been removed other schools would've finished higher. I know that my team wouldn't have been knocked out in round 15 last year, so anything is possible. I mean it's tough to tell, because a tough C/P school could've been replaced with an equally tough traditional public school, so take that with a grain of salt.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

bolshevik wrote:Hallsville is def the best small school in Missouri, and maybe we trail slightly behind them. Sam rarely negs - he is gonna be very dangerous to other perhaps stronger teams at nats.
Hallsville is an interesting case. They're stronger than I expected them to be, and you can bet they'll make a strong finish, and can really give some other team a tough time if they're not careful. But it'll take another year or two for them to return to being nationally competitive. It's really more a matter of time.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

A bit off topic, but I think it would be cool for teams to have some sort of meet and greet event other than actual matches sometime at the tournament. Maybe Thursday night during scrimmages, set aside a big conference room in the hotel, offer some snacks for people to munch on, just some way to teams to connect and make new friends over the weekend. Even if it were like a video game tournament or a Lip Sync Battle (I could only imagine the possibilities of that!), a fun time for teams before its time to get serious the following Saturday. I would utilize this opportunity to connect with teams from within my state that I only see once or twice during the regular season, maybe even get a photo opportunity with them.

It's just a suggestion for future years. I know it might be impossible to do this year due to how close it already is, but one of the cool things about statewide and national competitions is meeting new friends. If there was an environment set up for that outside of the regular matches, it could create bonds between teams and lasting memories.
Lauren Jernstadt
troyharris
Wakka

Post by troyharris »

Aren't the scrimmages on Friday night?
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

troyharris wrote:Aren't the scrimmages on Friday night?
Yes.
Jonah Greenthal
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

jonah wrote:
troyharris wrote:Aren't the scrimmages on Friday night?
Yes.
Oops, my mistake! I meant Friday.
Lauren Jernstadt
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

I was wondering, given that the Traditional Public field is full, and the same nearly goes for the C/P division, what are the criteria for the expansion of the field. While I think it's pretty unlikely at this point, I just was curious given how there seems to be no such indicator for the small school field whereas there were clear criteria for the HSNCT field when it was full.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Chromica wrote:I was wondering, given that the Traditional Public field is full, and the same nearly goes for the C/P division, what are the criteria for the expansion of the field. While I think it's pretty unlikely at this point, I just was curious given how there seems to be no such indicator for the small school field whereas there were clear criteria for the HSNCT field when it was full.
We have no plans to expand the SSNCT field at this time. (Note that the tournament is only two weeks away, so there would be very little time for additional teams to make travel plans.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Since this thread kinda went dead again, who's getting excited for SSNCT?!?!?!?!?!?! We leave for Chicago Thursday afterschool; that's all that's getting me through this week.

And I also sae Camp Hill's article! Pretty sweet seeing quiz bowl teams get community recognition from their local area:)
Lauren Jernstadt
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

We leave early Friday morning, so we won't have much time to look around, sadly. I heard the weather is supposed to be bad this weekend, so I'm not sure how much looking around people will want to do. At least on foot.

But yeah, Nationals is the only thing dragging me through this week. Really looking forward to it.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

My coach is getting us City Passes, so hopefully we don't have to wait outside for long periods of time to get into attractions. We were going to explore Shedd's Aquarium after we were elimnated from the tournament last year, but the line was very long and moving very slowly. Other than that, I don't know how much walking we will be doing. If we get elimnated early Sunday ir don't make it to Sunday's tournament, then we will cover any attractions that we missed Friday.
Also, to pass time at morning and at night during the weekend, when I'm not making the team crunch study right before matches, my friend is bringing his Wii so we can play Super Smash Bros and Smarty Pants (warm up and stretch out the buzzer fingers), and someone will bring a laptop and an HDMI cord so we can watch movies on the TV. Last year we had a movie night in one of the rooms and watched The Force Awakens. Hopefully, a teammate has Rogue One since that movie was freaking amazing!!!
Lauren Jernstadt
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

While you are certainly free to have as much fun as you like (in fact I encourage relaxing at least a bit to avoid stress), if my past three years has taught me anything, it's to not let your mind wander (for too long) at a tournament, especially not at SSNCT (unless you get a really sick power on Rogue One, then it would be worth it completely). So take it as a cautionary tale, if you will. Don't feel the need to cram right before matches, but also remember to keep your minds sharp. Cheers!
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Chromica wrote:While you are certainly free to have as much fun as you like (in fact I encourage relaxing at least a bit to avoid stress), if my past three years has taught me anything, it's to not let your mind wander (for too long) at a tournament, especially not at SSNCT (unless you get a really sick power on Rogue One, then it would be worth it completely). So take it as a cautionary tale, if you will. Don't feel the need to cram right before matches, but also remember to keep your minds sharp. Cheers!
And I wholeheartedly agree with you. We do focus on the competition, but we try to relax when we can. Relaxation is mainly at night for us since we try to watch matches during our bye periods and the morning we spend playing "The Buzzer Game." I also get what you say on the cramming since that is not a tactic most teams praise, but it surprisingly works for some members at Fulton. I have a packet of 100 Notecards about important works of literature that I cram study in the hour before a tournament begins, and it has helped me remember literature way better than studying the packet the night before. That doesn't mean I don't delve into deep research on literature in the weeks leading up to a tournament of this scale and prominence; without that, I can't fully understand plot lines and themes. But of course, I do see where you are coming from.
Lauren Jernstadt
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

As noted elsewhere, I take a look at the Charter & Private Schools division of the NAQT SSNCT. https://hsqbrank.com/2017/04/26/naqt-sm ... e-schools/
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

AKKOLADE wrote:As noted elsewhere, I take a look at the Charter & Private Schools division of the NAQT SSNCT. https://hsqbrank.com/2017/04/26/naqt-sm ... e-schools/
This is very interesting. Are you planning on doing something similar for the Traditional Public Division as well (albeit perhaps for only a small portion of the field)?
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'll see what I can do.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan