Set Writing Collaboration Thread-2017-2018 Season

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Set Writing Collaboration Thread-2017-2018 Season

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Hello everyone,

I figured now would be a good time to post a thread for collaborating on writing sets for the upcoming year. If you would be interested in collaborating with a team or are an existing set who would like to have some more writers, now would be a good time to post looking for assistance.

Part of the reason I'm posting this is because I would prefer to have a set decided for WUFAT before the semester starts for the WUSTL team again.....That was not a fun time. So on that note, let's also remember to see if we can spread out housewrites for the upcoming season a little bit better.

Let's get to collaborating and figuring out plans, quizbowl!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Bosa of York
Rikku

Re: Set Writing Collaboration Thread-2017-2018 Season

Post by Bosa of York »

I'd be interested in working with any team that can take on a relatively inexperienced writer. I'm most able to write literature, history, religion, and philosophy but can do anything other than music and trash with some modicum of competence.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I am willing to collaborate. The two sets I produce are a bit strange, since Solo is all tossup with uneven round difficulty, and Masonics has an unusual format/distribution, but there are a lot of questions in both sets that could be placed into a normal set. Also, I don't have a lot of revenue from those sets. That being said, if somebody wants to share questions, that's fine, though the person I share with would not be able to use their set in Illinois.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Darien is writing a set for the fall and is looking for writers/editors to help with science. We don't absolutely need, but would certainly appreciate, an experienced individual who could make sure we stay on pace to fully write, edit, and playtest, basically overseeing set production without necessarily writing or editing.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

2017 in amusement parks wrote:Darien is writing a set for the fall and is looking for writers/editors to help with science. We don't absolutely need, but would certainly appreciate, an experienced individual who could make sure we stay on pace to fully write, edit, and playtest, basically overseeing set production without necessarily writing or editing.
What date are you aiming for this set to be available?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

If someone is willing to take on an inexperienced writer, I am definitely willing to join a set. I specialize in literature, history, and religion; however, I will be preparing a sample group of questions in all subjects over Easter weekend for interested groups. Please e-mail at the e-mail attached to this account if you are interested.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

1992 in spaceflight wrote:
2017 in amusement parks wrote:Darien is writing a set for the fall and is looking for writers/editors to help with science. We don't absolutely need, but would certainly appreciate, an experienced individual who could make sure we stay on pace to fully write, edit, and playtest, basically overseeing set production without necessarily writing or editing.
What date are you aiming for this set to be available?
Somewhere between October 1 and when we host Darien Invitational III, which would be late October/early November.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Thanks for making this thread Jacob.

I'll edit this response later, but I would like to partner with a high school or college that has experience writing high school questions to jointly produce POMMSS 2. It is almost impossible for one set of writers to assemble 20 packets of good pyramidal questions. I'm assuming that the MSU Honors College will use our questions again at the State Tournament because they have already discussed that possibility with me. Assuming we still need to give 20 packets, I'm looking for a high school or college that produced a set in 2016/2017 to write half of POMMSS 2 and MSU will produce the other half. With more writers, we can get it mirrored more widely, finished earlier and bring in more money. A school that produces half the set would obviously receive half the revenue.

In terms of particular writing needs, I'd like an experienced science editor--especially in biology and chemistry. If someone could write religion questions that would also be appreciated because we don't really have a religion player at MSU. Aside from that, people are welcome to write any category because I just need questions. The whole set this year was 440 tossups and 420 bonuses so any help is appreciated! Compensation for writing will be pro rated to the revenue taken in from the set.

I'm also probably going to be on a study abroad in the fall so I may some have extra free time then. I'd like to actually write for a collegiate set at regular difficulty or below because I see a dearth of those in the calendar. I wrote in every category for POMMSS but my best categories are philosophy, social science (especially economics), mathematics, physics, mythology and history. I can write literature as well but I find I am stronger in those other categories. I'd say that I am good at writing trash but I hope no one out there is really considering reaching out for a trash writer :lol: .
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

We've already started writing for WHAQ II, so I'm going to need some more editors. I'm looking to make it available around the 3rd or 4th weekend of September. I'm looking for editors for the following subjects:
-Biology and Chemistry-claimed
-Literature-claimed
-Painting/Other Arts-claimed
-Physics/Other Science-claimed
-Religion/Mythology/Philosophy-claimed

If you're interested in editing any of the above categories, please contact me. An email, forum PM or facebook message will work.
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob O'Rourke

El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

El Salvadoreno wrote:If someone is willing to take on an inexperienced writer, I am definitely willing to join a set. I specialize in literature, history, and religion; however, I will be preparing a sample group of questions in all subjects over Easter weekend for interested groups. Please e-mail at the e-mail attached to this account if you are interested.
These are done. Any interested party should contact me through the forums or the e-mail attached to my account. If your looking for writers in a specific subject, please contact me and I can prepare samples in specific subjects.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

1992 in spaceflight wrote:We've already started writing for WHAQ II, so I'm going to need some more editors. I'm looking to make it available around the 3rd or 4th weekend of September. I'm looking for editors for the following subjects:
-Biology and Chemistry-claimed
-Literature-claimed
-Painting/Other Arts-claimed
-Physics/Other Science-claimed
-Religion/Mythology/Philosophy-claimed

If you're interested in editing any of the above categories, please contact me. An email, forum PM or facebook message will work.
I have a full editing team assembled for this, so I'd like to greatly thank everybody who decided to come on board. I will post an announcement for WHAQ II in the next month or so.
Jacob O'Rourke

GBRodgers12
Wakka

Post by GBRodgers12 »

I am looking for a science (and possibly math) writer for the Ohio Academic Competition Regionals and State set. Because of the different format than straight tossup/bonus, I am not looking for someone to take on the whole responsibility of writing all the team questions and alphabet questions as well because that would require learning the nuances of the writing format. I am simply looking for someone who could provide tossups that are written in an identical fashion to tossups in tossup/bonus.

I will not be able to provide the exact number of rounds I need until mid-May but it will be 17 or 18 rounds worth of science tossups. Each round needs:
1 Life Science
1 Physical Science
1 Biology
1 Chemistry
1 Physics
1 Other Science (your choice of something else or could be a second question from bio/chem/phys)

So 6 tossups a round, meaning somewhere between 102-108 total tossups. Formatting is 0.7" margins, 11 point Times New Roman font, and tossups are expected to be 4-6 lines in length, with 4 full lines being the minimum.

I can pay $3 for each tossup and am looking for someone to hopefully take the whole set of them meaning the payment would be somewhere between $306-$324. Questions would not need to be completed until early 2018 but earlier would definitely always be better. Payment can be made out as soon as I have the questions. If interested in doing some additional ones specifically in mathematics, that can be arranged too. Please PM me or e-mail me if you have any interest!
Joe Czupryn
Ohio Academic Competition Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

So we're about a week away from HSNCT, and I'd really like for us to start getting some more concrete plans made.

Michael, have you found any science writers/editors? Have you found an experienced person for oversight of Darien's set?

Harris, have you heard from any schools about co-writing POMMSS II with MSU?

Joe, have you had any interest from anyone in writing/editing for OAC?

Sets from last year I'm assuming are returning:
-BHSAT
-SCOP Novice
-Harvard Fall Tournament
-GSAC

Looking at what we currently have, it seems like these sets from this year are so-far unaccounted for:
-BASQT-Are you guys planning on writing a third BASQT set?
Jacob O'Rourke

GBRodgers12
Wakka

Post by GBRodgers12 »

1992 in spaceflight wrote:So we're about a week away from HSNCT, and I'd really like for us to start getting some more concrete plans made.

Michael, have you found any science writers/editors? Have you found an experienced person for oversight of Darien's set?

-BHSAT
-SCOP Novice
-Harvard Fall Tournament
-GSAC

Looking at what we currently have, it seems like these sets from this year are so-far unaccounted for:
I've got my science/math writer - thanks!
Joe Czupryn
Ohio Academic Competition Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

1992 in spaceflight wrote:So we're about a week away from HSNCT, and I'd really like for us to start getting some more concrete plans made.

-BHSAT
-SCOP Novice
-Harvard Fall Tournament
-GSAC

I've received a couple offers to write/edit science, but nothing for oversight. A couple of our graduating seniors have offered to help with the science as well, so we are looking okay there.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

1992 in spaceflight wrote:-BHSAT
If Adam S. Fine is able to get his questions done in a remotely reasonable timeframe, then yes. Expect an announcement in the next two weeks.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

1992 in spaceflight wrote: -BASQT-Are you guys planning on writing a third BASQT set?
I do not anticipate the production of a third BASQT for the upcoming year.
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
elyne road
Lulu

Post by elyne road »

Wilmington Charter will be producing its first ever housewrite (with more details to come in a detailed forum post soon) and would like an experienced editor to overlook the editing process.
EDIT : Please look at this thread for potential updates regarding this set, as its structure may be changed slightly : http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 09&t=20066
Last edited by elyne road on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S. A. Shenoy (they/them)

Georgia Tech 2024
Charter School of Wilmington 2019
19.prasadm
Lulu

Post by 19.prasadm »

Hi all! The Girls in Quizbowl Committee has decided to write the ATHENA II in order to have more control of the set content and to be able to mirror the set nationally and spread awareness. We're looking for both writers and editors and need pretty much all types of writers. If you'd be interested in helping us write or edit the set feel free to fill out this form. https://goo.gl/forms/LIxBUpHcyMLC6zWz2
Megha Prasad
Lexington High School '19 (Co-President)
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

HFT will probably return.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Hello everyone,

The WHAQ team is interested in collaborating with a team to write the WHAQ II set this year. In the interest of full disclosure, the collaborating team would be splitting half of the mirroring profits with the Washington team (this would be $2.50 per team that attends each mirror, other than each main site) and would keep all of their profits from their mirror.

If you're interested in collaborating with us, please email me at jacob.orourke.7 at gmail.com.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

1992 in spaceflight wrote:Hello everyone,

The WHAQ team is interested in collaborating with a team to write the WHAQ II set this year. In the interest of full disclosure, the collaborating team would be splitting half of the mirroring profits with the Washington team (this would be $2.50 per team that attends each mirror, other than each main site) and would keep all of their profits from their mirror.

If you're interested in collaborating with us, please email me at jacob.orourke.7 at gmail.com.
We'll be collaborating with the Miami Valley School to write the set.
Jacob O'Rourke