Schedules & Stats

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tabstop
Wakka

Schedules & Stats

Post by tabstop »

This year, the live results you've come to know and love (tolerate) will be at nhbbstats.com. Right now Friday and Saturday schedules are there (except sports because Robin is doing that). If you see something weird (like "2016"), or something I need to fix, let me know. (You can PM me or post in the thread.)
Andrew Feist
tabstop
Wakka

Re: Schedules & Stats

Post by tabstop »

All draws (i.e. Sunday's bee draw) are now posted online.
Andrew Feist
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

The Varsity Bowl playoffs followed/are following a double-elimination format, with consolation placement games to determine final placement within the tiers of teams who fell out of the losers' bracket in a given round.

The teams in the 25th through 32nd place bracket (those who lost in the Losers' Bracket in Playoff Round 1) have finished their consolation placement tournament. Congratulations to all!
25th: Battle Ground Academy
26th: Wichita Collegiate
27th: Middlesex County Academy
28th: Team Escobar
29th: Georgetown Day School
30th: Stanton College Prep
31st: Commack
32nd: Los Alamitos

The teams still playing in the 17th-24th place bracket are...
17th vs. 18th West Egg and Merrol Hyde
19th vs. 20th Alagar Homeschool and Princeton
21st vs. 22nd Masters School and South Fork
23rd vs. 24th Saratoga and Fisher Catholic

These games take place in Round 5 after lunch.

In the 11th-16th place consolation placement bracket, the top two seeds, Richard Montgomery and High Tech, had byes in Round 4 and will now face Centennial and Loyola, respectively, in Round 5. The winners of those matches play in Round 6 for 11th place; the losers play in Round 6 for 13th. Arcadia and Lexington will play their final game in Round 5 for 15th/16th place.

The teams still playing in the 7th-10th place consolation placement bracket are, in order of original seeding:
James Taylor (receives 7 card)
LASA (receives 8 card)
Team Matthew (receives 9 card)
Team Moco (receives 10 card)
These four teams will begin their consolation playoff bracket in Round 5 and finish it in Round 6.

The teams still in National Championship contention are:

1 vs. 2 game (Winners' Bracket): Thomas Jefferson vs. St. John's
3 card: Stevenson
4/5/6 cards: Westview, Naperville North, Hunter

Stevenson, which holds the 3 card, is drafting their Round 5 opponent from the other three teams in the losers' bracket. (Their opponent will be assigned the 6 card for "going to the correct rooms" purposes, and the 4 and 5 cards are assigned to the other two rooms.)

After Round 5, the following happens:
*The two teams that lose their losers' bracket matches in Round 6 play each other in Round 6 for 5th and 6th place.

*The four remaining teams play in modified semifinal play, as described here.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

You should be able to see final results for every individual event at nhbbstats.com. We have the bowl placements, but we're trying to figure out how to display those most gracefully; you can generally figure out where you are by looking at your afternoon group (like Threes, Fours, etc) and looking at where you are with respect to those teams. Certainly if you have any questions let me or NHBB know and we'll confirm/figure things out for you.
Andrew Feist
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

tabstop wrote:You should be able to see final results for every individual event at nhbbstats.com. We have the bowl placements, but we're trying to figure out how to display those most gracefully; you can generally figure out where you are by looking at your afternoon group (like Threes, Fours, etc) and looking at where you are with respect to those teams. Certainly if you have any questions let me or NHBB know and we'll confirm/figure things out for you.
I don't have a particular result I have questions about, but the organization of the bowl results seems rather confusing to me. For one thing, there doesn't seem to be any way to tell which groups are from the preliminaries and which are from the playoffs as an outside observer, short of reading through several of them. Similarly, there's no immediately obvious way of telling how the playoff groups relate to each other, again without reading through them and correlating the teams within to what I know of various teams' skill levels (and Brad's post about the final placement).

I do realize there's a logic in the way things are organized, so it is possible to figure it out (I finally realized how everything was arranged as I was writing this post). Still, this seems to be needlessly difficult, particularly for a National championship where there will be a lot of casual outside observers curious about the results who are not nearly as experienced parsing quiz bowl results as I am. At the very least, the four preliminary groups should be separated from the five playoff ones and the two blocks should be labeled as preliminary versus playoff.

Finally, why doesn't NHBB simply use SQBS to display final results? I realize the existing pages contain information (like room numbers) that an SQBS display doesn't, but for showing the final results, SQBS seems like it would be a good option, given that it's universally understood in the quiz bowl community and reasonably intuitive to those outside of it. You could still add additional information to pages using HTML as some tournaments like ACF Nationals do, which should presumably be possible since I assume you already have a web developer who maintains your site.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
J. Young
Wakka

Post by J. Young »

A related issue with the NHBB stats is the disappearance of 2016's National History Bee stats from the website, as the link is now dead, and the relevant statistics apparently were not converted into Excel files and posted to the website as previous year's stats were.
Justin Young
Longfellow MS '16
McLean HS '20; Captain
Achievement: Walked route of Pickett's Charge
A_Failure
Lulu

Post by A_Failure »

Are the Sunday playoff results for the Bowl going to be posted? And also, will there be a private forum for the discussion of the set?
Dean Ah Now
Millburn '20
Pomona '24
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

We're working on getting 2016 stats back up; the pages were infected (Madden's phrasing, not mine; I'm not generally involved with website upkeep, and for good reason) and came down as part of the general website chaos we experienced earlier in the year. We're looking to get that settled soon, but it likely won't be until some time after this year's IHBB Championships & USABB Nationals wrap up. Download links for last year's Bowl final placements are still good at the top of this page.

What is a higher priority is this year's stats; we'll have similar Excel reports of full standings up soon to pair with the game data on nhbbstats.com. We could use SQBS to display final results, but as we can't use it day-of (nhbbstats.com allows site captains to enter their pools' stats, so we had 44 different people entering Bowl results on Saturday), filling it in now would be more work than the benefit it provides.

I'll see if Andrew can make some of the other changes Charles mentioned for the nhbbstats.com. Thank you!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

J. Young wrote:A related issue with the NHBB stats is the disappearance of 2016's National History Bee stats from the website, as the link is now dead, and the relevant statistics apparently were not converted into Excel files and posted to the website as previous year's stats were.
I believe that Excel file exists; I hadn't realized it wasn't online so somehow that will get online soon. What I'm working on for 2016 (and all the previous years, really) is to recover the full database of the results so that the full stats pages are up; I believe that it exists and I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong in trying to access it. If I can get it, then I'll move it to the new site.
Andrew Feist
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

Charbroil wrote: I don't have a particular result I have questions about, but the organization of the bowl results seems rather confusing to me. For one thing, there doesn't seem to be any way to tell which groups are from the preliminaries and which are from the playoffs as an outside observer, short of reading through several of them. Similarly, there's no immediately obvious way of telling how the playoff groups relate to each other, again without reading through them and correlating the teams within to what I know of various teams' skill levels (and Brad's post about the final placement).

I do realize there's a logic in the way things are organized, so it is possible to figure it out (I finally realized how everything was arranged as I was writing this post). Still, this seems to be needlessly difficult, particularly for a National championship where there will be a lot of casual outside observers curious about the results who are not nearly as experienced parsing quiz bowl results as I am. At the very least, the four preliminary groups should be separated from the five playoff ones and the two blocks should be labeled as preliminary versus playoff.
I've added tags to all the pool names which should help such as (Morning), (Afternoon Placement), etc., which should help in deciding what you're looking at.
Charbroil wrote: Finally, why doesn't NHBB simply use SQBS to display final results? I realize the existing pages contain information (like room numbers) that an SQBS display doesn't, but for showing the final results, SQBS seems like it would be a good option, given that it's universally understood in the quiz bowl community and reasonably intuitive to those outside of it. You could still add additional information to pages using HTML as some tournaments like ACF Nationals do, which should presumably be possible since I assume you already have a web developer who maintains your site.
SQBS as data entry is not going to be usable, really. Also I don't actually see a huge difference between the pages we've got (to pick one at random, the varsity afternoon playoffs) and what a typical SQBS report would be. I don't bother with points against or margin (although that data exists and could be shown), and we don't track PPB or individual stats 30/20/10, so there's a lot of columns in the SQBS report that would just be blank/error/n/a. (You could argue that we should, I guess, but each of those is only valid for a quarter of the game.)
Andrew Feist