06-07 VA/MD/DC area (maybe slightly beyond) date claimings

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
yangsta
Wakka

06-07 VA/MD/DC area (maybe slightly beyond) date claimings

Post by yangsta »

2006-2007 tournaments for the Chesapeake Bay area. Please post the dates of any tournaments you're planning.

Of course, it'd be nice if everyone from the greater mid-Atlantic (incl. KY, NC, DE, NJ, PA) could coordinate schedules, but with limited weekends and such a large geographical area, that's probably not too likely...

UVa tentatively claims Saturday, 10/28/06, for the Cavalier Classic XI.
Even more tentatively, Saturday, 2/10/07 for the Cavalier Open IV.

In chronological order:

TJHSST Fall (Alexandria, VA): 10/7/06 (tentative)
Blake (Silver Spring, MD): 10/21/06
UVa Cav Classic (Charlottesville, VA): 10/28/06 (tentative)
Whitman Vallhalla Classic (Bethesda, MD): "mid-November"
Spotswood ACT I (Penn Laird, VA): 11/18/06 (tentative)
Maggie Walker GSAC (Richmond, VA): 12/09/07 (tentative)
Green Eggs & Hammond (Columbia, MD): 1/06/07
TJHSST Spring (Alexandria, VA): 1/13/07 (tentative)
Gonzaga (Washington, DC): 2/03/07 (tentative)
UVa Cav Open (Charlottesville, VA): 2/10/07 (tentative)
VHSL States (Williamsburg?, VA): 2/24/07 (being verified with VHSL)
Spotswood ACT II (Penn Laird, VA): 3/17/07 (tentative)
NAQT Virginia States (Charlottesville, VA): 4/21/07 (tentative, and pending bid)

A bit farther away...

Ezell-Harding Christian School Academic Tournament (Nashville, TN): 9/16/06
Tarheel Cup (Chapel Hill, NC): 10/07/06
Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA): 10/07/06 (tentative)
Central Hardin (Elizabethtown, KY): 10/21/06
Robinson Early Bird (Concord, NC): 10/21/06 (tentative)
Vanderbilt ABC (Nashville, TN): 11/10-11/06
Dorman Cavalier Challenge (Roebuck, SC): 1/20/07
Fleming County High School (KY): 1/20/07
Robinson Invitational II (Concord, NC): 2/10/07 (tentative)
Saint Mary's Belles Bowl II (Raleigh, NC): 2/24/07

Well, it's still on the same side of the country...

UTC: 09/30/06
Seventeenth Annual Walton Academic Challenge (Marietta, GA): 10/07/06
19th Annual Brookwood ISB (Snellville, GA): 11/18/06

(fyi, SAT dates: 2006-10-14, 2006-11-04, 2006-12-02, 2007-01-27, 2007-03-10.)
Last edited by yangsta on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:38 pm, edited 32 times in total.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

VHSL States will likely be on 24 February 2007, I am verifying this with the VHSL.

EDIT: I have verified with the VHSL that States will be on 2/24/2007.
Last edited by STPickrell on Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Tentative dates for Spotswood's tournaments are November 18, 2006 for ACT I and March 17 for ACT II.
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

2006-2007 VA/MD/DC area date claimings

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

I heard that the VHSL Regional deadline is 2/10/07. Has the league set a District deadline? (Especially for districts without regular seasons, e.g. Central Region districts).

Also, what dates are TJ and Gov planning their events?

Do any schools outside of the norm (TJ, UVA, Spotswood, Gov) have any plans to host in the fall? I am just curious.
Dave Porter,
Assistant coach in the Peninsula area
W&M (trash only) (2008-present)
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
Freeman HS President (2003-2005)
yangsta
Wakka

Re: 2006-2007 VA/MD/DC area date claimings

Post by yangsta »

dsfquizbowl wrote:I heard that the VHSL Regional deadline is 2/10/07. Has the league set a District deadline? (Especially for districts without regular seasons, e.g. Central Region districts).

Also, what dates are TJ and Gov planning their events?

Do any schools outside of the norm (TJ, UVA, Spotswood, Gov) have any plans to host in the fall? I am just curious.
Schools that hosted fall tournament in 2005 that haven't been mentioned yet that I remember:
Centennial
Blake
UMD

There're also itsac tapings all over the time, but kind of hard to schedule around that...
STPickrell
Auron

Re: 2006-2007 VA/MD/DC area date claimings

Post by STPickrell »

dsfquizbowl wrote:I heard that the VHSL Regional deadline is 2/10/07. Has the league set a District deadline? (Especially for districts without regular seasons, e.g. Central Region districts).
The Regional deadline is usually two weeks before the State tournament. Regional tournaments are held in a 4 week belt from mid-January to mid-February.

There typically hasn't been a statewide District deadline in the past; if the region is holding their tournament early, then Districts must conclude their season early.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

TJ's tournaments are, if we can get the building, Columbus Day weekend and MLK weekend, whenever those days may be.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Schools that hosted fall tournament in 2005 that haven't been mentioned yet that I remember:
Blake
From talking with Joe Caulfield at the Maryland NAQT Championship, they usually hold their tournament in late September but will probably be looking toward early November this next year.
The Klitz
Kimahri

Walt Whitman HS Tournament

Post by The Klitz »

Walt Whitman High School in Bethesda, MD probably will host another Vallhalla Classic tournament in mid November (11, 18, or 25).
WWHS ITS AC, BABY
shylar
Lulu

Post by shylar »

Hammond's Eighth Annual Green Eggs & Hammond will be held the first Saturday of January, as usual....January 6. Most schools will be back on Wednesday for that week.
Snoopy17
Lulu

Virginia Tech Tournament

Post by Snoopy17 »

Virginia Tech is planning to host a tournament on Saturday October 7th. Hopefully we will soon hear back from NAQT about using their questions for this tournament. The reasoning behind picking this date is that there are no football games that weekend, no SATs and we would rather not hold our tournament at a time when Blacksburg's winter weather might play an adverse role. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology is planning to hold their tournament on Columbus Day weekend, which I believe is the same weeekend. The tournament organizer will be Adam Chin, our secretary-treasurer.Will TJHSST's tournament be using NAQT packets? Would teams be torn about which tournament to attend seeing as though Blacksburg is at least 4 hours away from Northern Virginia?
Thank you for your thoughts and considerations.
Sarah Mahood
President of VT-ACO
[email protected]
http://www.academic.org.vt.edu
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Note on the date for NAQT States : 4/21/07 is the date for the VHSL Sate Debate Tournament. This conflct kept Auburn from attending this year and would likely keep us out next year as well. (At least half of our team is also on the debate team). I am excited about the prospect of having a tournament in Blacksburg. We will definitely plan on attending that one.
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I remember Maggie Walker considered attending Tech's tournament last year (?) before it was cancelled. However, we do always go to TJ's tournament, which IS NAQT. Thus, I'd imagine there might be some teams that would have to choose.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

My guesses for North Carolina

Tarheel Cup will likely be in October, and if Duke is doing HSCS with me, we'd probably have to do it in November. The reason why I say this is because of the football schedules at both schools.

As for doing HSCS perhaps in the DC metro area, I am all ears on a possible date provided it can be coordinated with the rest of my new real life. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Post by NotjustoldWASPs »

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology is planning to hold their tournament on Columbus Day weekend, which I believe is the same weeekend. The tournament organizer will be Adam Chin, our secretary-treasurer.Will TJHSST's tournament be using NAQT packets?
Our fall tournament is always NAQT, so that could be an issue for some teams if the dates fall out the way they appear to be, but you'll have to take that up with our TD, Evan ("BuzzerZen")
Neel Kotra
WUSTL '10
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

The real issue would be the teams from the Charlottesville, Richmond, and Harrisonburg areas, I would think. Those are the ones you'll be likely to split. I also cannot imagine that NAQT would want two tournaments using their questions on the same date in the same area of geographic exclusivity.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Additional tournaments.

IIRC, Coach Knupp @ Danville said they were hosting a tournament on 23 September. I'm not sure if that still holds.

For what it's worth, Cave Spring (Roanoke) is hoping to host a fall tournament, and maybe a spring tournament if that goes well. They hope to have it house-written. I am offering to assist with editing/writing for any house-written HS tournaments in Virgina.

Another thing they did that might be worth exploring is hosting an open tournament, which they did on April 29. The teams there were from Roanoke College, other faculty members, friends of the coach and random people from the Roanoke area. Through the proceeds of this tournament they were able to make it to NAQT Nationals. This also provided them practice for running a "real" tournament in terms of question-writing practice, moderating, etc.

Abingdon and Honaker High Schools (just keep driving down I-81 but stop before you hit Tennessee) are considering hosting tournaments, as well. I'm not sure how firm they desires are as yet and one of them may elect to have a giant scrimmage for SW Virginia teams. There may be some teams from Central Virginia that want to make the trek.

I will get dates for all three. Cave Spring needs to know this calendar and Honaker and Abingdon probably ought to coordinate with the folks in Tennessee and Kentucky more. And I need to know everything in VA and ALL surrounding states for my own calendar.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Tarheel Cup will likely be in October, and if Duke is doing HSCS with me, we'd probably have to do it in November. The reason why I say this is because of the football schedules at both schools.
Due to an unholy combination of our home football schedule and other schedule conflicts, we're currently looking at a date of early October for this fall's Tar Heel Cup. We'll be making an official announcement about the date (almost certainly) this weekend, with full format, payment, and related issues sent out no later than the beginning of September.

-Brice Russ
Lame-Duck President, Carolina Academic Team
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Thanks for posting our fall tournament on your master list. We're eyeing February 10 for Robinson Invitational II.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Maggie Walker will tentatively have their fall GSAC tournament on December 9, 2006.
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Gonzaga is tentatively planning to host its tournament on February 3rd, 2007.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

Central Hardin High School's tournaments (near Elizabethtown, Kentucky) will be held on September 30.
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

thread being bumped. note changes.
joecaul
Lulu

Post by joecaul »

Blake Tournament will be Sat., Oct. 21. 9:00 a.m. Finals will be finished no later than 3:00 p.m. I will post more details online when I have someone who was born later than the Eisenhower administration to help me with the details.
NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

BHSAT will take place at Yale (New Haven, CT) on March 3, 2007.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Spotswood's ACT I is definitely on Nov. 18, 2006.

ACT II has been changed from March 17 to March 24, 2007, due to a scheduling conflict with regional Destination Imagination.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Because editing has been disallowed and the list of tournaments at the top isn't so accurate, and my own laziness prohibits me from investigating further, is anything going on March 3rd??? That was the weekend of Gonzaga's tournament last year but they moved it to 2/3, so I assume it's clear now?
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Yale is having a tournament om March 3rd, but I don't know how much that would infringe on your potential field.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Is March 31 a good date for the DC area? The University Scholars at George Mason is interested in hosting a tournament on that weekend for teams who want to travel out.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Is March 31 a good date for the DC area? The University Scholars at George Mason is interested in hosting a tournament on that weekend for teams who want to travel out.
Wow, how'd you get the University Scholars interested in supporting quizbowl? Are they interested in forming a team? More tournaments is (are?) always good ...
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

For the board, I'll just say there is some interest among the students to get a team going again (Katie from Clover Hill is here). And since the director of the University Scholars program and I work closely together -- thanks to having a common supervisor, an overlap of students to advise, and the preferred admissions program into VCU Med -- it was not a problem to facilitate more communication to get this set up.

We are thinking about organizing a trivia (non-buzzer) event for our University Scholars and Honors Program student recruitment weekend in early March. We are also planning on holding a separate invitational for regional high school teams at the end of March. Hence the feeler for the weekend.

Yes, part of the rationale to get the Univ Scholars program interested is akin to publicity that the USC (that's South Carolina) Honors College has for their event for teams there. Of course, we know we have higher standards to meet if we were to run a qb event.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

So the other question I have for the powers that be...

It sounds like March 31 is a good weekend, depending on the taping of It's Ac schedules.

The other odd question: do you want this to be a double-dip weekend for high school players? That is to say, would it be too much to investigate...

1) Standard academic team competition on Saturday. Working title: Mid-Atlantic Regional Academic Championship (MARAC).
2) Singles (pop culture/trash) tournament on Sunday.

Again, not guaranteeing anything but it gives me an idea of what I could likely pursue when it comes to question sources and costs.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I don't think either singles or trash tournaments ever need to happen at the high school level.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Matt Weiner wrote:I don't think either singles or trash tournaments ever need to happen at the high school level.
I'm sure some high school students would enjoy a trash tournament. But, personally, I would not wish to take a team to such a tournament. I agree with Matt.

I would not object to one trash round for fun or something of that nature.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Matt Weiner wrote:I don't think either singles or trash tournaments ever need to happen at the high school level.
Thbbbpt.

Eric
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I know Gonzaga would come to the tournament on Saturday, but we would have to pass on the trash on Sunday.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Again, just gauging interest. The Sunday would be April 1 after all.

Of course, the alternative could be to run a QU-event. :roll:
GDS It's Academic
Lulu

NAQT championship

Post by GDS It's Academic »

The NAQT Maryland/DC Championship will be at GDS on Saturday, April 21.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

University of Mayrland's Spring Classic is on Sunday, April 29th.