2-day HSNCT Mirror @ Toronto (July 8th-9th, 2017)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

2-day HSNCT Mirror @ Toronto (July 8th-9th, 2017)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello Canada! :cool:

The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club is pleased to announce another two-day mirror of HSNCT. Unlike what we did last year, this tournament will be played over one weekend instead of two. The tournament will take place on U of T campus at Sidney Smith Hall (100 Saint George Street). The control room will be room 2114. Both days will begin at 10 AM sharp. For more info on the set, see here.

Fees and discounts

NOTE: THIS FEE IS PER DAY. If you want to play both days, you will have to pay both times, but if your team has played the first day, you will receive a discount for the second day.

Base fee: $120
Buzzer discount: $5 per functioning set
Moderator discount: $10 per functioning moderator

Second-day fee: $60*

HIGH SCHOOL TEAM FEES
We are implementing a lower fee for teams for which every player registered is either currently enrolled in high school, or completed high school this past year (I.e. 2016-2017 was their grade 12/13 year). All other combinations of players pay standard fee. The discounts listed above can still apply.

Base fee: $80
Second-day fee: $40*

*This fee will apply to your team if you played the first day already. It cannot be combined with other discounts.

Registration

This mirror is completely open, so anyone can play. Make a team or register as a free agent and we will find you one. High school teams are, as always, welcome.

To register, please send me an email at uoftquizbowl AT gmail DOT com, or just shoot me a PM or Facebook message.

As always, I will accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer. Cheques should be made out to "University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club".

Hard field cap of 12 teams.

Field

Saturday:
MSU + Rein
Aayush/Jay
ADR/Joe/Sebastian/Eric
Chris's Team
"Real" Carleton A
Harris Family
Anubhav & co.
McMaster
Paul & co.
UTS & co.

Sunday:
MSU
Aayush/Jay
ADR/Joe/Sebastian/Eric
Chris's Team
Rein
"Real" Carleton A
Harris Family
Anubhav & co.
McMaster
UTS & co.

Side events:

We will be running the following side events on the Saturday of this tournament:

First One Hunna Days (lunchtime)
PACENSC

We will be running the following events on Sunday:

AARDVARK (lunchtime)
FTP2

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. please post them here. See you all in July!
Last edited by Calculus? on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:08 am, edited 21 times in total.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: 2-day HSNCT Mirror @ Toronto (July 8th-9th, 2017)

Post by Calculus? »

Post updated with rooms
Meghan Torchia
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
troyharris
Wakka

Post by troyharris »

Email sent with a few questions.
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

What packets are going to be read at this? It would seem kind of silly to read the packets that were livestreamed, tweeted, etc. I think only some of the last few playoff rounds were, but how many HSNCT packets will we play? Also: when can we expect a logistics email of some sort to be sent to teams?

Thanks!
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

This event will be just rounds 1-22 (not the later playoff rounds which were livestreamed on the Sunday of HSNCT itself).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Important Bird Area wrote:This event will be just rounds 1-22 (not the later playoff rounds which were livestreamed on the Sunday of HSNCT itself).
Awesome. That makes a lot of sense. How much time will we have on Sunday for side events? We have a pretty long drive back to Michigan and want to get back at a reasonable time.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Progcon wrote:
Important Bird Area wrote:This event will be just rounds 1-22 (not the later playoff rounds which were livestreamed on the Sunday of HSNCT itself).
Awesome. That makes a lot of sense. How much time will we have on Sunday for side events? We have a pretty long drive back to Michigan and want to get back at a reasonable time.
I have the rooms booked until 7 on Sunday so that's the latest we can go, but at any rate I think we'll be done the main tournament around 3-4 PM since this tournament usually goes fairly quickly, so side events shouldn't go too late.
Progcon wrote:Also: when can we expect a logistics email of some sort to be sent to teams?
I'll have this out at some point this weekend. I'm just waiting on a couple more registrations to be finalized.
Meghan Torchia
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Unfortunately, one of our players can't make it. If you are considering attending, and know literature or chemistry, we'd really like to play with you. Otherwise, we will take anyone who knows things and doesn't neg a ton because we'd rather not be a three person team.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
troyharris
Wakka

Post by troyharris »

Are there any other high school teams playing?
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

troyharris wrote:Are there any other high school teams playing?
Not at the moment -- we have one or two high schoolers playing on open teams and we're waiting on one high school team that is a maybe, but nothing confirmed yet unfortunately.
Meghan Torchia
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

After Saturday's tournament, a group of us will be going to the Toronto Rush vs Montreal Royal game at Varsity Stadium, which is a short walk from the building this tournament is being held in. If you are interested in seeing a pro ultimate game, this will likely be a good one with playoff seeding at stake. Tickets are ~$13 CAD in advance or ~$16 CAD day of. The game starts at 5, so we will be making our way to the stadium sometime before then. If you are interested or have any questions, let me know.
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

This is just a reminder that all registrations should be in by tomorrow evening. If you haven't registered with me by then, you will be declined a spot.
Meghan Torchia
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Progcon wrote:Unfortunately, one of our players can't make it. If you are considering attending, and know literature or chemistry, we'd really like to play with you. Otherwise, we will take anyone who knows things and doesn't neg a ton because we'd rather not be a three person team.
Rein is on our team for Saturday, but if you know things about books or chemicals and want to play with us on Sunday, we'd be happy to play with you.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Here is the logistics email I just sent out (as long as I had an email for you):

Hello teams,
Thank you for attending Toronto’s mirror of HSNCT! We hope you have a great time. Logistics information follows:

LOCATION AND TRANSPORTATION
The tournament will take place both days in Sidney Smith Hall (100 Saint George Street) on U of T campus. For those who have never been, it’s the building with an enormous banner reading “Arts & Science” on it. Our control room will be 2114, on the second floor. The tournament will begin at 10:00 AM sharp. Due to the number of teams expected, please make sure you arrive before that time so as not to keep everyone else waiting.
If you are driving, the closest parking can be found underground at 107 Saint George Street. If you are taking transit, get off at St. George subway station (St. George exit, not Bedford Road) and walk south along Saint George Street until you reach the building. I am attaching a map showing where the building is (weirdly I am unable to upload this file to the forums, sorry).
Please note that the Bay/York street ramp on the Gardiner Expressway will be closed for the rest of the year. In addition, the TTC will be closed from Bloor-Yonge to Lawrence stations on July 8th and 9th. If either of these things impact you, please plan accordingly. There are, to my knowledge, no marathons occurring in the city of Toronto this weekend.

PAYMENT
As stated in my original announcement, I will accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer/PayPal. Cheques should be made out to “University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club”, not to me personally. Please be ready to pay before the tournament starts. If you are playing both days, you may either pay for both on Saturday, or pay for Saturday and Sunday on those respective days. Please note that all prices are in CAD. If USD is absolutely necessary, I will take it at the main tournament at 5/6 of the CAD price, and for the side events I will take it at parity.

FORMAT
We have 10 teams on Saturday and 10 teams on Sunday, so on both days we will be playing a full –game round robin followed by advantaged finals where necessary. Teams will be given schedules the day of. Lunch will take place after round 5 and will last approximately an hour. There are a variety of cheap lunch options near campus (on Bloor Street to the north and College Street to the south). There will be side events running on both days, both at lunch and after the event itself. They are as follows:

Saturday lunch: First Hunna Days (2016 election)
Saturday post-tournament: PACENSC (Pokémon)
Sunday lunch: AARDVARK (Arthur)
Sunday post-tournament: FTP2 (trash)

Note that PACENSC and FTP2 will cost $10 per person (each), and AARDVARK will cost $4 per person. The other event will be free of charge.

You are of course welcome to play/not play whichever side events you please.

Finally, if you have any questions/concerns that I haven’t addressed here, please feel free to reply to this email/comment on the forum announcement. If an issue arises on the day of, the fastest way to contact me is to send me a text at [REDACTED].
Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

EDIT: Mistakenly marked FTP2 as being free. Correct cost has been updated.
Meghan Torchia
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Hello, here are thoughts on this weekend:

Apologies: We did start about a half hour late on Saturday for which I apologize. We also ended up going over our booked time (7 PM) for the rooms so were kicked out and had to move elsewhere on both days, I will make sure to book us for a longer period of time in the future.

Thanks: Thanks to everyone who came out this weekend. I hope you had a good time. Big thank you to the people who helped me with organizational stuff (especially Paul and Joe) and big thank you to my staffers (Anubhav, Kyla, Huma, Zhenglin, Brian, Jenny, Andrew, Rico, JJ). As usual this would not have been even close to possible without everyone's help. Also thank you to everyone who provided side events for us! They were enjoyed by all who played them.

Notes: There are a few people who still owe me some amount of money for this. Please try to have this in as soon as possible so I can get everything sorted. Again I hope you all had a great time but of course if you have any comments/suggestions for things to improve on (or things you liked!) please do let me know as we are always looking to improve our tournaments. Stats for the main event and hopefully for FTP2 will be up soon.
Meghan Torchia
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Thanks for putting this together Toronto. Despite the frustrating negs that I had, we all had a great time and we thought all the staffers were super friendly. Awesome job to Meghan, the readers, and all the random players like Rein and Joe who helped set stuff up and made sure things went smoothly. If I can, I'd like to go to another tournament in Canada and I would welcome any of the players I met this weekend to a tournament in East Lansing!

I hope all the players enjoyed FTP 2. It was not as polished as I would have liked, but I would encourage all players to give me constructive feedback. I decided to head FTP 2 after hearing comments from players about FTP 1, so I'd love to hear what people thought. Hopefully many good buzzes were had.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

I will have more coherent thoughts on the structure of this tournament later, everything since the rail situation has been a nauseous sleep deprived blur.

Stats are here. Please check for corrections in your name (I've already been informed of some). I will send the results to NAQT no earlier than the end of the day on Wednedsay.

Thanks to Meghan for putting this together and all the readers.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Progcon wrote:I hope all the players enjoyed FTP 2. It was not as polished as I would have liked, but I would encourage all players to give me constructive feedback. I decided to head FTP 2 after hearing comments from players about FTP 1, so I'd love to hear what people thought. Hopefully many good buzzes were had.
Yeah, it was a lot of fun! I did find a few issues with some wording and clue placement and, once I re-look over the set, I'll pm you with some of those details.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Stats for FTP2 can be found here. Note that one scoresheet went missing so it isn't included there. Thanks Aaron for doing them!
Meghan Torchia