2017 Div I ICT Mirror at Toronto (July 29th, 2017)

Old college threads.
everdiso
Wakka

2017 Div I ICT Mirror at Toronto (July 29th, 2017)

Post by everdiso »

I am happy to announce that, for all those lacking in the area of D-values (or who were otherwise occupied this April), I will be hosting an open mirror of this year's Division I ICT set on Saturday, July 29th! As this is a top-level national tournament, interested players should be advised that these questions will be very difficult and are not suited for beginners.
Due to room booking difficulties at the University of Toronto (which continues to refuse to give its tuition-payers any break), this event will be held at a private residence in central Etobicoke, Toronto. I will, of course, not be posting the address here on HSQB, but players who sign up will have the address emailed to them closer to the date of the event. For players coming from farther away, this is still in Toronto, so your trip to the city should be the same as usual. The tournament will begin at 9:00 a.m., so I will ask all players and staffers to arrive by 8:30. EDIT: I forgot to add this, but staffers will receive a free lunch.

Registration

This mirror will be completely open, so anyone who did not play or watch the original event is welcome to play. (To be clear, Div I and Div II ICT share questions, so having been at either event makes one ineligible for this mirror.) To register, whip me an email at paul [DOT] kasinski [AT] bell [DOT] net indicating whether you want to sign up as a free agent or on a team. Due to the restrictions of the site, there will be a field cap of 20 players/5 teams for this event.

This event will have a flat fee of $15 per player.

Registered Free Agents
Paul Kasiński
Erik Christensen
Isaac Thiessen
Cameron Amini
Zhenglin Liu
Ian Dewan
Peter Cordeiro
Sebastian Drake
Sam Challen
Luka Obervac
Raymond Chen
Leslie "Joe Su" Newcombe

Side Events

There will be several side events taking place after the main ICT mirror, both on Saturday night and during the day Sunday. Jenny Mao's Self-Indulgent Neglected Sports (SINS), an all-sports side event, will be run on Saturday night, as will a new pack of Erik Christensen's Tournament of a Madman (assorted trash). Sunday morning will feature the debut of Erik's Chuck Berry Memorial Tournament (all rock music), and on Sunday afternoon, we will run a mirror of FLOREAT (all movies). The signups for the first three of these events will be run by the people in charge of them, but the FLOREAT signup will take place here. Again, email me at paul [DOT] kasinski [AT] bell [DOT] net to sign up. We'll determine based on the amount of players we get whether to do it individually or in teams, so for now, just sign up individually. All of the side events will be free.
SUNDAY SIDE EVENTS WILL BEGIN AT 10:00 A.M.

Registered Platers for FLOREAT
Paul Kasiński
Ian Greig
Jonathan Whyte
Mark Greig
Kieran McQuattie
Andrew Yim
Sebastian Drake
Last edited by everdiso on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Re: 2017 Div I ICT Mirror at Toronto (July 29th, 2017)

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

I'm gonna play the sports thing and staff everything else.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

As mentioned, another pack written in the style of Side Event of a Madman will be played. It will be available on the archives shortly after playing as a bonus DLC Gold Edition pack.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
Arch Stanton
Lulu

Post by Arch Stanton »

Is there still space at this tournament?
Dillon Edwards
ex-MSU
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Plenty of space on teams for all the events!
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

EDIT: Saw/responded to PM.
Paul Kasiński
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

So far only Paul and MSU Alum have registered for Chuck Berry Memorial. If anyone attending for sure wants to play send me a message.
Erik Christensen
Arch Stanton
Lulu

Post by Arch Stanton »

How amenable would Paul/Erik/everyone be to running Chuck Berry Saturday night, either before or after SINS? (Mostly asking out of a selfish desire to not have to book a hotel room for Saturday night.)
Dillon Edwards
ex-MSU
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Arch Stanton wrote:How amenable would Paul/Erik/everyone be to running Chuck Berry Saturday night, either before or after SINS? (Mostly asking out of a selfish desire to not have to book a hotel room for Saturday night.)
I won't be there Saturday.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Apologies, but we won't be moving the event at this time, as it's already too close to the date and too many people have planned around this schedule.
Paul Kasiński
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

CBM is free to mirror and available right after this weekend, so if you desire you could host it in Michigan. It's being planned for the official Michigan side event weekend as well.
Erik Christensen
Arch Stanton
Lulu

Post by Arch Stanton »

Unfortunately, we're going to have to cancel due to transportation issues; sorry about that.
Dillon Edwards
ex-MSU
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

No worries! Sad to hear that, but it's not a problem.
Paul Kasiński
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

On Sunday we ended up playing the Chuck Berry Memorial tournament (won by Ian Greig) and 4 rounds of FLOREAT (which we played in a hybrid team/individual format since there weren't many people playing). Here are links to the scoresheets for the two events:

Chuck Berry
FLOREAT
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

I was only there on Sunday, but this was fun and I would do it again. Thanks Paul!
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023