Michigan Side Event Weekend (August 19th-20th)

Old college threads.
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Re: Michigan Side Event Weekend (August 19th-20th)

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Consider me for your Celebs team! Résumé includes--7 years of experience as an actual teenage girl, and 22 years as a piece of trash.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

So let me get the schedule straight now:

FRIDAY
-nothing

SATURDAY
-GEODUCK
-Thought Monstrosity
-There Will Be Stock Clues
-The Celebs...

SUNDAY
-Super ACRONYM
-Chuck Berry
(Celebs if there wasn't enough time)

What about Tricon? Does that still get the "run at your own risk" late night Saturday slot, or what? I'm okay actually running that Friday night, to be honest.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Right now, the schedule is as you say.

Tricon completely slipped my mind when we moved Stock Clues and Celebs to Saturday; I say we read it at the Friday night party.

Chris Ray asked me at Chicago Open about Aidan Mehigan's architecture event, which I'd also forgotten about. (Sorry, Aidan; you know I'd love to help stuff your pockets.) However, I've had several people tell me that they'd rather Celebs be run as a real tournament with a real winner, rather than as a party shootout. Furthermore, at this point it seems unfair to me to boot Celebs from Saturday, since we just put it there. I propose, then, that if we include architecture in this side event weekend, it be done as the last thing on Sunday, or Friday night before the party. If neither of those work for those interested, then let's save it for pairing with a tournament this fall (which I think is the best option).

To evaluate interest, I've added an architecture tab to the team formation spreadsheet, where people can sign up and indicate their availability for Friday night or Sunday afternoon. Collin's hosting the Friday night party, so I'll ask him what time he wants to start that in order to get a better idea of what time we'd be running architecture on Friday.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

With the exception of Harvard's Jacob Wasserman, Aidan is my favorite alum from a certain hippie Wiccan school, so it does pain me to proffer the idea that we just hold off on architecture until the fall. I don't think playing it in a party setting or as the last entry in a very late Sunday of quizbowling is very fair to the set or Aidan. I understand the temptation to start bumping other tournaments, but that seems unfair as well.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Yeah, I'd rather have Aidan's set get the showing it deserves - perhaps as a side event at the Spring Open weekend? But I do think we should set tricon up as an official event, either Friday night or as the final thing Sunday (with apologies to the Chuck Berry enthusiasts, that seems like an awfully niche thing to bump Tricon for). Now that people aren't doing shit packets for tricon, the event can finally be what it was always meant to be: An opportunity to score 30 points by paying homage to Matt Morrison.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

DumbJaques wrote:Yeah, I'd rather have Aidan's set get the showing it deserves - perhaps as a side event at the Spring Open weekend? But I do think we should set tricon up as an official event, either Friday night or as the final thing Sunday (with apologies to the Chuck Berry enthusiasts, that seems like an awfully niche thing to bump Tricon for). Now that people aren't doing shit packets for tricon, the event can finally be what it was always meant to be: An opportunity to score 30 points by paying homage to Matt Morrison.
I'd be open to hosting Tricon on Friday as a shootout during the party, as it seems like that's how Tricons often been played in the past and people I've talked to about this tournament seemed okay with the idea of Tricon Friday. With 24 people signed up to play Chuck Berry though, I'm not willing to bump it from Sunday, especially considering it was the 2nd highest voted event in the poll.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
MorganV
Mafiarator

Post by MorganV »

DumbJaques wrote:(with apologies to the Chuck Berry enthusiasts, that seems like an awfully niche thing to bump Tricon for)
Yeah, wouldn't want a tournament as niche as rock music to get in the way of the many fans of 1970s fads, US cities with population less than 50k, and numbers greater than 100
Morgan Venkus
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

MorganV wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:(with apologies to the Chuck Berry enthusiasts, that seems like an awfully niche thing to bump Tricon for)
Yeah, wouldn't want a tournament as niche as rock music to get in the way of the many fans of 1970s fads, US cities with population less than 50k, and numbers greater than 100
Yeah, seriously--Tricon is lots of fun, but it's both the ultimate in niche quizbowl events and the perfect thing to read as a big shootout at a party. Bumping an event that 24 people have signed up for just because you're not personally interested in it would be silly.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I will also note that for those thumping Tricon's success, last year I think had a grand total of 4 packets.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I need a team for Thought Mo. When I played VICO, I was outscored by Dylan Minarik, Andrew Wang, Morgan Venkus, and even Jason Asher, so you know I'm good at thought.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I have been told that we probably will have to make the Chuck Berry and Stock Clues events into full teams of four.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Cheynem wrote:I have been told that we probably will have to make the Chuck Berry and Stock Clues events into full teams of four.
Mike beat me to it. Yes, these events have been turned into quads, and I've changed their tabs in the signup spreadsheet accordingly.

In other scheduling news, I confirmed with Aidan Mehigan that he won't be finishing Angels in the Architecture 2 by side event weekend, so we won't be running that.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
The Unbearable Lightness of Negging
Lulu

Post by The Unbearable Lightness of Negging »

Since Chuck Berry has turned into quads, Jennie Yang and I would like to team up with people who might know 80s rock and/or general pop-rock through the ages. If this sounds like you, or not, or if you're chris ray, and you're looking for teammates, feel free to message her/me here or on facebook.
Ali
Stevenson '17
Stanford '21
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

If anyone is interested in splitting a hotel room, I booked one at the Red Roof Inn in Ann Arbor on 3505 South State Street from Friday to Sunday. It sleeps up to four.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

My hotel is right next to that one, so if people are interested in carpooling on Saturday to save $$$, let me know.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

saintanthony
Lulu

Post by saintanthony »

Hey everyone! Steve Oppenheim and I are looking for a pair of teammates for Celebs and Stock Clues. Message if you want to team up!
Drew Scheeler
President Emeritus, Case Quizbowl
Case Western Reserve University '13
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

What is the fee for each event?
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Here is the pricing list so far:

TRICON: Your Soul

GEODUCK: $10 a person
THOUGHT MONSTROSITY: $10 a person
THERE WILL BE STOCK CLUES: $5 a person
CELEBS: $10 a person

(If you want to play everything on Saturday, $35)

SUPER ACRONYM: $20 a person
CHUCK BERRY: Free (?)
Last edited by Cheynem on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

If anyone who's playing Thought Monstrosity wants to Venmo me the fee this week, it would give me less to worry about on the day of. Of course, paying on Saturday by whatever method is fine too.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Cheynem wrote:Here is the pricing list so far:
CHUCK BERRY: Unclear
Last we heard, Chuck Berry was free.

To expand a bit on payment: since we're charging players no more than the writers of each event asked for, there'll be no travel/buzzer/whatever discounts and staffers won't get free meals. But don't let that stop you from traveling to Michigan, bringing buzzers, and staffing events that you're not playing.

Since the writers of every event but Chuck Berry will be in attendance, each of you will be responsible for collecting money from players.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I don't know how accurate the spreadsheet is (given its proclaimed "unofficial" status), but right now There Will Be Stock Clues appears to be sitting at seven teams and three staffers. If each of those figures were somehow to increase by one, that would be dandy.

Either way, could those planning to play or staff the event please shoot me a quick e-mail or PM to confirm their status?

Thanks.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Unless there's a big swathe of off-spreadsheet staffers, it's looking like Super ACRONYM will have a staffing problem, especially if all the free agents form teams. Is there a plan to handle this?
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

We are taking steps to rectify the staffing issues. I don't think it will end up being an issue.

If you are interested in coming to the party on Friday night, please contact me at [email protected] or my facebook or by PM'ing me on the forums. It should start around 8 and has a hard ending time of 2AM.
Collin Parks

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Having received the blessings of Kenji and Will, we organizers of this tournament will be swapping the order of GEODUCK and Thought Monstrosity on Saturday. Our rationale for this is that a seven-round tossup + bonus tournament would finish at a more lunch-y time, and a pair of tossup-only events between lunch and dinner would put dinner at a better time.

Gameplay will start on both days at 8:30 a.m., so teams should arrive at about 8:15 to pay entry fees, set up buzzers, and get schedules. Report to the third floor of Mason Hall. (This is our usual hosting venue, at 419 South State Street. Your best bet is to enter from the north, by the Kraus Building, i.e. right where the red pin is if you click the link.)

This, then, is the order of the weekend:

SATURDAY:
-Thought Monstrosity
-lunch
-GEODUCK
-There Will Be Stock Clues
-dinner
-The Celebs Are At It Again

SUNDAY:
-some portion of Super ACRONYM
-lunch
-the rest of Super ACRONYM
-Chuck Berry Memorial Tournament

For people who won't be there the whole time and need to know when to show up, we'll be providing updates on specific times in this thread as the tournaments progress.

EDIT: PARKING TIPS BELOW

-If you're coming to the party on Friday night, street parking in Ann Arbor will be free by then because it's after 6:00 p.m.
-Street and structure parking are not free on Saturday.
-Street and structure parking are free all day on Sunday.
Last edited by Beast Mode on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Typical reminder:

-We've got a lot of events to do this weekend. We're starting on time and if you wander off during one event, you better be back as soon as we start another if you want to play.

-People running the events--please try and finish up staff wrangling, get schedules ready, etc. prior to the weekend. If you're unsure about staff or anything, talk to myself, Saul, or Mr. Tournament Director Collin Parks.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

For the remaining GEODUCK free agents: Try to form teams as soon as possible, as I will assign everyone to one of two teams otherwise.

For anyone who volunteered to staff GEODUCK: Make sure to PM me on Facebook (preferably with a gmail address for Google Drive) or email me at [email protected] for staffing instructions. We will be using online packets and scoresheets, but not advanced (read: Ophir-style) stats.
Kenji Shimizu
Summit Academy North High School '13
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Hey everyone, I'd really like to print up schedules for Super ACRONYM tomorrow, so please finalize your teams today if at all possible. We're at 9 teams, and I'd like to get that to 10, so those of you that are free agents should figure that out. Thanks!
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Clark unfortunately had to drop, so we're looking for someone else for Thought Monstrosity.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

Wynaut wrote:For the remaining GEODUCK free agents: Try to form teams as soon as possible, as I will assign everyone to one of two teams otherwise.

For anyone who volunteered to staff GEODUCK: Make sure to PM me on Facebook (preferably with a gmail address for Google Drive) or email me at [email protected] for staffing instructions. We will be using online packets and scoresheets, but not advanced (read: Ophir-style) stats.
Can you please place myself, chris ray and ryan on the same team? We had already agreed to play together before we were arbitrarily moved.
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Is there anything happening before the 8:00 PM party start time on Friday night?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

All of the teams for There Will Be Stock Clues have now confirmed, except for the team of Sarod Nori, Robert Lucas, Anirban Sarkar, and Justin M. If someone from that team could please contact me, that would be good.

Assuming that they confirm and that no other team joins, we have 7 teams and will consequently run a single-bye round robin.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm not sure if this is possible given staff concerns, but I'd suspect a scab team could likely be rounded up yo avoid a bye. I also encourage anyone on the fence to join said scab team, becauze this tournament is going to be s wonderful experience.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

DumbJaques wrote:I'm not sure if this is possible given staff concerns, but I'd suspect a scab team could likely be rounded up yo avoid a bye. I also encourage anyone on the fence to join said scab team, becauze this tournament is going to be s wonderful experience.
We have four staff right now (Saul, Ryan, Young, and me). So, we could indeed accommodate an eighth team, if one were to materialize.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

The Super ACRONYM schedule is here. Note that there is a "Free Agents" team that has not officially formed, but there are more than enough free agents in the signup sheet to make that team.

If you're set to staff this and I don't have your email address (this may in fact be all of you), please reach out to me at erikhasemail at the gmail before Sunday so I can get staffing info to you.
Erik Nelson
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

DumbJaques wrote:Is there anything happening before the 8:00 PM party start time on Friday night?
There are currently no plans for anything before 8:00 PM.
Collin Parks

ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

I've sent the packets to Colin, but if that's not the right person I can send them to someone else.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

The Celebs schedule is up.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
Tidus

Will Nediger
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

disregard this I am dumb
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Tidus

People should meet by the Angell Hall auditoria.
Will Nediger
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Results

Thought Mo: Rob Carson, Bernadette Spencer, John Lawrence, and Sam Bailey won

GEODUCK: Andrew Hart, Jason Zhou, Auroni Gupta, and me won

There Will Be Stock Clues: I believe Rob Carson, Dylan Minarik, Andrew Wang, and Alston Boyd won

The Celebs: Rob Carson, Erik Nelson, Halle Friedman, and Dr. Will Nediger won

Tune in Tomorrow to see if Rob Carson will continue to win everything.

Also, if there's interest and/or time during lunch, I can read my film music packet for those who haven't heard it (or I suppose my far dumber regular film packet as well).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Tomorrow morning, meet at the Angell Hall auditoriums a little before 8:30. I'll be getting to Mason early in hopes of trying old codes to classroom doors that Collin might have in some email from a tournament we've hosted with actual room reservations, but I'm frankly not confident that it'll work.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

They're older codes AND THEY DON'T CHECK OUT.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Tidus

Reminder to teams that have buzzers: bring them with you this morning, as we need 5 for Super Acronym.
Will Nediger
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

ErikC wrote:I've sent the packets to Colin, but if that's not the right person I can send them to someone else.
Collin supposedly forwarded me the packets two days ago, but I didn't notice till now that they didn't stay attached when he sent the email. Can you send them to me (sehankin [at] umich [dot] edu)?

EDIT: Collin sent them to me again. We're good.
Last edited by Beast Mode on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Could the people running the events please make sure to gather scoresheets and post stats in reasonably quick order? The track record of stats being lost at these events in past years is inordinately high.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Chuck Berry ended up being a six-team tournament because many of the Chicagoans had to catch a train. We played a round-robin, in which Dirty D's Done Dirt Cheap (Dylan Minarik, Morgan Venkus, Rob Carson, and Erik Nelson) went undefeated. Wanting to be done with quiz bowl for the day and go have dinner, I then declared them to be the winner of the tournament even without playing an advantaged final against the 4-1 But I'm a Crepe, I'm a Weirdough (Kenji Shimizu, Marianna Zhang, Auroni Gupta, and Eliza Grames). No one protested.
theMoMA wrote:Could the people running the events please make sure to gather scoresheets and post stats in reasonably quick order? The track record of stats being lost at these events in past years is inordinately high.
I have the scoresheets for Chuck Berry, and will put them into SQBS tonight. I'll be creating a tournament database entry for the entire side event weekend, so those who have the stats for the other events should email their SQBS files to me (sehankin [at] umich [dot] edu) so I can include them.

EDIT: Here's the tournament database entry for the entire side event weekend, and here are the results for Chuck Berry specifically; those who have the stats for events not yet included in the entry, email them to me (sehankin [at] umich [dot] edu). If there are any problems with the Chuck Berry stats, email me. If you have problems with the stats of any other event, email me and CC the writer (since I own the database entry but they have the stats). If you don't have their email address, just email me and I'll get them in the loop.

Thank you to everyone who came out for all or part of the weekend. Thank you especially to those who read for events and read excellently; if I tried to list each one of you, I'd surely forget someone, but really, thanks so much.
Last edited by Beast Mode on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Super ACRONYM was won by me, Rob Carson, Andrew Hart, and Carston Gehring after a thrilling 3-match sequence against Drew Scheeler's team.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Cheynem wrote:Super ACRONYM was won by me, Rob Carson, Andrew Hart, and Carston Gehring after a thrilling 3-match sequence against Drew Scheeler's team.
Prelim stats for Super ACRONYM. I will get the full stats up ASAP. Thanks to everyone who played and staffed this - it was a blast to run. The ending was indeed thrilling.

e: Crap, didn't see the side event weekend page before I made on specifically for this. Sorry about that.
Erik Nelson
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

InvadErGII wrote:
Prelim stats for Super ACRONYM. I will get the full stats up ASAP. Thanks to everyone who played and staffed this - it was a blast to run. The ending was indeed thrilling.

e: Crap, didn't see the side event weekend page before I made on specifically for this. Sorry about that.
My fault for not giving you and the other event writers a heads-up at the tournament. If you email me the Super ACRONYM stats, I'll be happy to add them to the side event weekend entry.

Also, Will's wondering if there's a way to delete the database entry he'd made for Thought Monstrosity. Since this is my first time using SQBS, I can't help him. Anybody?
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)