Ohio Quizbowl 2006

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Ohio Quizbowl 2006

Post by BobGHHS »

I figured I might as well re-start the topic... this time however, I think we should compare in the two formats...

OAC
1. Fisher Catholic - what other team can win the Copley Tournament without their captain.
2. Orange - They have one of the best unknown players in the state in Matt, and they will make it out of the Northeast Region this year.
3. Copley - they tank once in awhile, but they know so much they make up for it. Robert and Chris are mighty fast on the buzzers too.
4. St. Xavier - Dormant for awhile, they came back with a vengeance, winning the gold bracket at Copley, even though it was relatively weak.

NAQT
Large School
1. Garfield Heights - My guys are pumped and ready to go for March 11. They lose once in awhile, but best 2-of-3, nobody in the large school division should touch them.
2. North Olmsted - Their win over us was a fluke at Buzzerpalooza and I'm not afraid to say that. They're still good though, they played well at Solon and should contend.
3. Copley - although they suck at non-conferral formats (i.e. everything except OAC), they have such a vast knowledge, that they should be competitive.
4. Solon - even without Noah, they're still tough when they're on. Ajay is a hell of a player in math.

Small School
1. Fisher Catholic - They've had shaky games at times, but I don't think anyone will touch them on March 11th.
2. Orange - They will not be there on March 11, but I would have expected them to be competitive. Their A-team gave Fisher a much better playoff match (5 point difference?) at Solon than did their powerhouse B team.
3. St. Charles - this is all contingent on the combination of players. Someone figure out the possible 4-man combinations for a school that can easily field 8 teams per tournament.
4. Tippecanoe - Inconsistency is Tipp's worst enemy (besides OAC format)

How many of these teams will attend NAQT Nationals... probably us and that's it...

Curious to see the other Ohio people's take on our situation.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

Not so fast my friend. . ..

I am not ready to chalk up NAQT Ohio to Garfield Heights. They may be the best team but North Olmsted has a very broad, four deep team that will be tough round-in and round-out. In my opinion, it's entirely plausible that NOHS will be the better team on the day.

Now, watch my statement end up on the GH bulletin board and them whoop up on NO.

I will agree with Bob that if anyone other than Fisher wins at OAC, I will be shocked. They seem to be by an order of magnitude the best team in the state at that format.

Best of luck to everyone next weekend!!!!

Brian M. Saxton
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

Bah. Walnut has beaten half those teams, though we did have a poor showing at Turpin.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

JDD... so I'm to understand you are the really really good player from Walnut Hills then?...

I've heard all about your team from Joe Bellas... and I wish you guys the best of luck at OAC Regionals. If you're as good as Joe says, you guys have a good shot to win OAC States. If we goto Cincinnati's tourney, I hope to see you guys there...

Bryan, I do agree with you more... North Olmsted can win on any day, I'm just stating my opinion that I think we're a better team... and they may prove us wrong... we shall see.

We'll see what happens.
Bob Kilner

jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

OAC will be interesting. Our reserves played Lakota East, and I was enormously impressed with their speed and knowledge. As for our starters, we lost in an enormous upset in our conference tournament to Amelia. About me, Mr. Bellas probably meant one of our captains, Amy Fletcher or Tom Burns.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I'll assume he meant Tom then, he said a guy I'm pretty sure.

In regards to Lakota East... we ran into them at Round 2 last year at state, and the way we had played at Regionals (5-0, 65 ppg average) we expected to play well against them and come out on top.

Needless to say, after two categories it was 14-0 and they ended up beating us by 15...

I think they finished 3rd or 4th.

Luckily Walnut Hills qualified for regionals by way of the Tipp tourney... so that little slip-up at your conference tournament won't come back to haunt you.

Hopefully we'll see you at states.
Bob Kilner

DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

I wouldn't put North Olmsted on that high of a level yet, especially on NAQT. We played them in Bowling Green when we half our team gone including one of our best players and we still beat them by a pretty large margin. Maybe they just had an off game against us though. Since Walnut Hills won't be there I would say it's Fisher's game to lose. Hopefully we can play as good as we played at Michigan States NAQT tourney, but as Bob pointed out we are a very up and down team. Best of luck to everyone who is going.

PS- Bob we were talking about going to NAQT nationals, but that might not be happening anymore
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I wish you guys would... Ohio needs some representation besides us...
Bob Kilner

DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

Copley will probably go to ASCN again, if that counts for anything.
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I HATED ASCN... the only thing it did that I liked was allowed all the time in the world for sightseeing...
Bob Kilner

solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

AFAIK, Solon plans on going to NAQT Nationals, as I believe they have already qualified.

I myself will be moderating there, so I hope to see some friendly Ohio faces.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

Walnut qualified to go to Chicago, and if we can raise the money, we're going.
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

[quote]PS- Bob we were talking about going to NAQT nationals, but that might not be happening anymore[/quote]

Who knows, right now. We are working on that. There are lots of considerations. I can say without reservation that we are NOT going to ASCN, ever again.

As for who's best, it is really hard to say in OAC format. I think its absurd to say who's going to win, even if they might have more knowledge or faster buzzer skills, because of the randomness of team question distribution. IF (and that's a big if) the question provider this year ends up writing FAIR questions, then some element of luck will be removed. But I've seen a lot of good teams get hosed on format or just not play well in OAC, when they would have dominated in almost any other format. (GHHS in 2005 is a good example).

So I have to say I really don't know. Depends on who escapes regionals, and what seeds that they escape with when they get to state. There is talk about changing state finals from double-elimination to round robin competition, and that will have an impact.

Last year, we beat both Lakotas on our way to our Copley-rematch. Of the teams we beat, I was least impressed with East. However, they were young, and most likely have everyone back this year, so they could be a force to reckon with. Their coach was very funny to watch. She was extremely, umm, demonstrative.

Re: NAQT, I think if GHHS, Walnut Hills, Solon and Fisher all go to nationals, we'd be representing Ohio pretty strongly. Throw Orange in there, plus Columbus Academy, who I believe is also making plans, and you would REALLY be making a statement.

In the championships next weekend, I'm still waiting on the draw before I predict anything, if I even make any predictions. The best team will almost certainly win, unlike in OAC. That's all I can say. :smile:
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

NAQT is, if nothing else, the more exciting format.

Mr. Bellas, at your tournament in November we won two extremely close matches in the quarter and semi-finals against Ohio teams. We played and lost to one of those two schools this year at Turpin, but I can't remember the name of either one. I believe one or both of them are Catholic, but everything in my mind before DCC is a little hazy. Now that I'm learning about quiz bowl around the state, I wonder if you could remind me what schools they are.
FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

Is Tipp playing the small schools bracket at states this weekend?? The only other team that caught my attention was St. Charles, but hopefully we can win our bracket.
Unfortunately we can't go to the windy city for some NAQT because our graduation is so conveniently scheduled for that weekend. A shame because we can't test our worth in the format, but we're going to NAC (hey it's a trip to Chicago) and Pace in NC.
Is Shadyside going this weekend??

-kyle
Let the Looking-Glass creatures, whatever they be
Come dine with the Red Queen, the White Queen and Me
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

The Shadyside thing fell through, mainly b/c it was a game on email tag that ended up getting aggravating...

The brackets are already drawn up and ready to go... I tried to make them as even as possible, then I let Noah make the final judgments on them...

Although I stuck Fisher with two of the St. Charles teams and the other two St. Charles teams in the other bracket... Tipp is in the small-school division, but barely... they were the biggest school in the division.

There are two eight-team brackets in each division... round-robin, then top 4 in each single-elimination.

In the lower division, it will be Fisher, Tipp and any number of the St. Charles teams battling for the top 4 spots...

In the upper division, it will be Garfield, North Olmsted, Copley and then maybe Solon or Mentor battling...

It should be fun.

On another note -- Kyle, since Copley was February 25, am I to understand you will be removed from the 15-day DL on the first day you are eligible to return... so that you can make your presence felt at states?
(Just razzing you, hope you're feeling better)
Bob Kilner

jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

JDD, you beat Columbus Academy by 40 points and Fisher Catholic by 35 to reach the finals. And after the eighth tossup, you were up by 10 points. At that point, Joel took over and powered 6 of the next ten tossups and helped his team sweep 5 of those 10 bonus sets.

I thought your group played EXTREMELY well. Although I think I know who you are, there were two other people on your team who were also very knowledgeable and very fast, including the girl who I think was your captain. If you were the youngish player sitting on the end, closest to DCC, then I felt like you were clearly the second best player on your team.

Sorry you can't be at states this weekend. You would have been a tough opponent for those D-I squads.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

While I live in Kentucky, I am posting on here because a few years ago my family was looking to move to Cincinatti. I would have attended Walnut Hills, and I've been wondering how they have been doing in Ohio quizbowl. Apparently, rather well.
Are there any other Cincy area teams that plan on going to NAQT?
And more interestingly, I find it hard to believe that Solon is that different of a team without Noah? Granted, he was easily one of the best players in America, but still...
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Solon is a completely different team without Noah... don't forget, they also graduated Chris Sparks and Jason Dickman, who were both great players.

Ajay is good, but you can't replace the #1 scorer in the country. Solon will probably be a semifinalist at NAQT States this weekend, but I don't think they'll get past there unless they run into some great questions (i.e. math and science for them).
Bob Kilner

jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

brownboy79 wrote:While I live in Kentucky, I am posting on here because a few years ago my family was looking to move to Cincinatti. I would have attended Walnut Hills, and I've been wondering how they have been doing in Ohio quizbowl. Apparently, rather well.
Are there any other Cincy area teams that plan on going to NAQT?
And more interestingly, I find it hard to believe that Solon is that different of a team without Noah? Granted, he was easily one of the best players in America, but still...
It would have been interesting if you'd come here. Walnut's no TJ, but we finish 1 or 2 most years in a tough conference, usually splitting with Amelia (the one of Paul/Basilarius fame). I never faced him, but I understand from teammates we're quite lucky he graduated as a Junior and went to USC.

It's my first year on the team and we have a lot of fun. Cincinnati teams don't seem to travel that much, but based on the couple of tournaments Walnut has been in, I don't think it's because of our quality. Sadly, I don't think any other area teams are going to nationals.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I'm not sure if we're going to Cincinnati State yet, but I do know that we plan on going to NAQT Nationals, even though we'll be missing one of our best players...

Hopefully we get a chance to match up with Walnut Hills there... since we probably won't see them anywhere else (except maybe OAC states, if both of us get there)
Bob Kilner

FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

Walnut's no TJ, but we finish 1 or 2 most years in a tough conference
this can be universally stated about alot of top teams in ohio... we're no TJ, but some are quite good. It really gets my goat that Ohio can't really contend for a national title. In response, I propose we learn from history and recreate the Babylonian Captivity. We'll more or less kidnap the TJ faculty and a selection of players throughout the nation (we'll start with TJ's current varsity) and make them a luxurious house in scenic Ohio so they'll want to stay. We can then begin a breeding program for intellectual mastadons which will reverberate through the nation and through many generations. It's time ohio reclaim it's rightful stake as the nations intellectualest state of gooderest quizteamers. Who wants a piece of history in action??
FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

Bah. Walnut has beaten half those teams
Mr. Bellas, at your tournament in November we won two extremely close matches in the quarter and semi-finals against Ohio teams. We played and lost to one of those two schools this year at Turpin, but I can't remember the name of either one. I believe one or both of them are Catholic, but everything in my mind before DCC is a little hazy
JDD, you beat Columbus Academy by 40 points and Fisher Catholic by 35 to reach the finals
jdd,
Ah so the Gauntlet has been thrown down, my dignity as a man has been challenged and you nonchalantly rub salt in our wounds. At tipp you beat us and we beat you later in Turpin. I can say you have a great team, but also that we negged like 7 times in that match. A win's a win, but but man we were out of it. I'm not making excuses, but I'd love a rematch even if we lost again. Why aren't you going to states, I fear we'll not see you again in NAQT? NAQT is probably the best test of a good team, I wouldn't chalk Turpin up to much vengeance on our part, but I guess we'll just have to part with unfinished bussiness... This post is in good jest, but my competitive nature yearns for a heated rematch. You guys really do have a great depth and speed in your team this year though. I do hope to see you again this year
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

In regards to them not coming... they may have not gotten an invite...

Not that I wouldn't have... but I only invite whoever I have mailing addresses for (emails that is) and whoever they forward it to... so if many teams don't get it, not much I can do.

I can't go searching millions of websites to try to find team websites with emails...

If we do this again next year, now I have a contact there... so they will get the invite then.
Bob Kilner

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

FCqb wrote:
Walnut's no TJ, but we finish 1 or 2 most years in a tough conference
this can be universally stated about alot of top teams in ohio... we're no TJ, but some are quite good. It really gets my goat that Ohio can't really contend for a national title. In response, I propose we learn from history and recreate the Babylonian Captivity. We'll more or less kidnap the TJ faculty and a selection of players throughout the nation (we'll start with TJ's current varsity) and make them a luxurious house in scenic Ohio so they'll want to stay. We can then begin a breeding program for intellectual mastadons which will reverberate through the nation and through many generations. It's time ohio reclaim it's rightful stake as the nations intellectualest state of gooderest quizteamers. Who wants a piece of history in action??
The easiest way to get better is to compete against the best. Raleigh Charter HS down here in NC has made a commitment to do just that. They go to a lot of the big tournaments throughout the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic, playing against TJ, Walton, and so forth. Once you see how teams prepare and play, you can begin to convince the kids that they need to have the commitment to get better. It is partly resources, but a lot of it is a commitment from the kids with encouragement from the coaches. That's how DCC got as good as they have.

It's not an overnight solution, but it can take three to four years to reach that level.

Believe me, I was around ten years ago when I started running the comps that I did at Case, and I can flat out say that Ohio qb is vastly improved.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I wish Walnut would have come to our tournament. Manual didn't really have much of a challenge seeing as RM didn't come, but if you guys are really interested in playing with better teams, you might venture to the Southeast.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Pre-regional top teams in Ohio:

(Note: This is stupid OAC format, so the poll is not necessarily true in other formats)

(Note2: This is only ranking teams going to regional tournaments, otherwise Orange would be on here)

1. Fisher Catholic
2. Copley
3. Tipp
4. Garfield Heights
5. St. Charles (A, B, C?... you take your pick)
6. Salem
... yadda yadda and the list goes on...

I fully expect Fisher-Copley to go 1-2 on May 6th... do I think Copley is that good?... no, but having the coach who developed the format definitely helps. If my guys can get out of the "oh no, we have to play Copley" mentality, I think we can beat them down... we might get our chance in 8 days.
Bob Kilner