2017 EFT at WUSTL (10/7/17)

Old college threads.
Charbroil
Auron

2017 EFT at WUSTL (10/7/17)

Post by Charbroil »

The Washington University Quiz Bowl team is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a mirror of 2017 Early Fall Tournament on October 7th, 2017. The set will be regular-minus difficulty and geared toward collegiate players of all skill levels, as well as experienced high schoolers. I, Charles Hang, will direct the tournament.

Registration

To register, please e-mail us at [email protected] with the following information:

1/ How many teams you will bring.
2/ How many buzzers you will bring.
3/ How many players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ How many staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will bring.

Fee Structure

The base fee for the tournament will be $120, with discounts as follows:

Buzzers: -$5 per set of functional buzzers
Moderator: -$15 per moderator (please bring a laptop, as scorekeeping and packets will both be online)
Scorekeeper: -$10 per scorekeeper (please bring a laptop, as scorekeeping and packets will both be online)
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles one way
Minimum fee: $50 per team

Please make checks out to "Washington University Quiz Bowl;" we can also take cash but prefer checks.

Place

The tournament will be in Eads Hall (Building 31 here). Because of construction, we recommend that you park in the parking lot next to Simon Hall (Building 110) and the Danforth University Center (Building 27).

Time

Registration will begin at 8:15 AM CDT in Eads 203. The first round will start at 9. We'll have an opening meeting around 8:45.

Contact me by phone if you will be late. I will send out a tournament information email with my phone number before the tournament.

We will end the tournament around 6, depending on how many rounds we play (which depends on how many teams sign up). We expect to guarantee all teams at least around 10 rounds.

Eligibility
The Original Tournament Announcement wrote:For college teams, all in-person United States sites of this tournament will be completely closed. High schoolers may play, and can play on chimera teams with permission, but permission will only be granted if they are unable to play with their school team (teammate unwillingness to attend is a fine reason). Exceptions to these rules may be granted with the permission of the head editor.
Field (16/16)

WUSTL [5 teams, 3 buzzers, many staffers]
"QFOD" (high school open team) [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
Oklahoma [2 teams, 2 buzzers, 0 staffers]
Mizzou [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
Truman State [1 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
East Central College [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
Tulsa [2 teams, 0 buzzers, 1 scorekeeper]
Oklahoma State [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
Illinois Wesleyan [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]

The field is currently capped at 16 teams.
Last edited by Charbroil on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:34 am, edited 10 times in total.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Charbroil
Auron

Re: 2017 EFT at WUSTL (10/7/17)

Post by Charbroil »

We have expanded the field to 16 teams. See you all next Saturday!
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

I'm pleased to announce that we will be mirroring Mike Bentley's Eyes That Do Not See IX visual arts tournament after the end of EFT. If you would like to play that, please email us at [email protected] with the number of players you expect to have play that, as well as their names.
Charles Hang

The Favourite
Wakka

Post by The Favourite »

Charbroil wrote:I'm pleased to announce that we will be mirroring Mike Bentley's Eyes That Do Not See IX visual arts tournament after the end of EFT.
Sad I'm not staffing EFT so I could play this.
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
Coach, Murray State College (OK)
Former Coach, Coalgate Schools (OK)
Curriculum Director, Oklahoma Quizbowl Camps
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Charbroil wrote:I'm pleased to announce that we will be mirroring Mike Bentley's Eyes That Do Not See IX visual arts tournament after the end of EFT. If you would like to play that, please email us at [email protected] with the number of players you expect to have play that, as well as their names.
After some feedback, we will be running several rounds of Eyes during lunch as well.
Charles Hang

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

With 16 teams signed up, our field is officially full!

I will send out an information email tomorrow; see you all on Saturday!
Charles Hang

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Tournament results are being updated here.
Charles Hang

Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

Who or what is "QFOD" and why are its players unable to use their real names or the real name of their school?
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

1.82 wrote:Who or what is "QFOD" and why are its players unable to use their real names or the real name of their school?
Not your business? Maybe they're a high school that needs to use pseudonyms because of some restriction?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Congratulations to Missouri A for winning our mirror of EFT! They beat Oklahoma A in the second game of an advantaged final after Oklahoma won the first game of the final.

Stats for both the main tournament and Eyes That Do Not See will be posted by the end of the weekend. Thanks to everyone who played and staffed!
Charles Hang

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Finalized results are up. Thanks again to everyone who attended!

Thanks also to everyone who staffed (Gina Suszko, Andy Walz, Kevin Stockman, David Dennis, Tirth Patel, Jacob O'Rourke, Jacob Billingsley, Sean Phillips, Albert Wu, Mike Janoski, and the members of our C team)! We couldn't have done it without all of your hard work.

We ended up running 4 rounds of Eyes That Do Not See at lunch; the aggregate totals from that are below:

Itamar Naveh-Benjamin: 65
Alex Newman: 65
Finn Bender: 45
Ganon Evans: 35
Patrick Butenhoff: 20
Hannah Ward: 10
David Dennis: 5
Byron Chin: 0
Jacob O'Rourke: -5
Jessica Weibrecht: -5
Amanda Arbuckle: -5
Erik Tomasic: -5
Charles Hang: -25
Caleb Kendrick: -25

If there are any errors in the stats for either EFT or Eyes, or if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected].

Thanks again to everyone who came to EFT! We had a great time and hope you all did too!
Last edited by Charbroil on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Hang

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:
1.82 wrote:Who or what is "QFOD" and why are its players unable to use their real names or the real name of their school?
Not your business? Maybe they're a high school that needs to use pseudonyms because of some restriction?
Naveed's question is not an illegitimate one, and Will's own history gives him a uniquely poor position from which to be snippy about it, but Will is likely right--high school teams in states with restrictive state organizations are often forced to use pseudonyms for a variety of tournaments. Maybe emailing the tournament director is a better way to pose questions like this in future?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:
Naveed's question is not an illegitimate one, and Will's own history gives him a uniquely poor position from which to be snippy about it, but Will is likely right--high school teams in states with restrictive state organizations are often forced to use pseudonyms for a variety of tournaments. Maybe emailing the tournament director is a better way to pose questions like this in future?
If the answer is "arcane restrictions limiting high school teams", that's a perfectly reasonable answer; I was just curious, particularly given the frivolous nature of the pseudonyms assigned to players. If inquiring about this sort of thing on the boards is unsuitable, I was unaware of that.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

1.82 wrote:If the answer is "arcane restrictions limiting high school teams", that's a perfectly reasonable answer; I was just curious, particularly given the frivolous nature of the pseudonyms assigned to players. If inquiring about this sort of thing on the boards is unsuitable, I was unaware of that.
It's certainly not unsuitable for the board by any means, though given the inherently somewhat secretive nature of the most likely reason for pseudonym use I'm under the impression that it's generally helpful not to draw public attention to it (thus also diminishing the risk of an unaware but helpful person saying "oh, that's [school]"), which is why I recommended an email. I probably should've been clearer about that!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT