Seders

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Seders

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

To everyone having/hosting/attending a Seder tonight:
What food are y'all cooking? I'm making some tsimmes, two different harosets, and some brussel sprouts.
How do y'all incorporate Quizbowl into your seders?
What Haggadahs are you using? I like the Love and Justice in times of war Haggadah, but this year I made a bit of a mix and match Haggadah inc some workmens circle bits and some of the "Red Seder" made by communists in situ.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
vinteuil
Auron

Re: Seders

Post by vinteuil »

The Stately Rhododendron wrote: How do y'all incorporate Quizbowl into your seders?
The four ques—
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

The Stately Rhododendron wrote: How do y'all incorporate Quizbowl into your seders?
When I was a kid, whenever someone found the afikoman they couldn't claim it until they got over 15 ppb over four questions on an acf regionals packet.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'm going to a family friend's house for Passover tonight, they have some very different traditions in their family, including giving every child (roughly 10 and younger) a towel to carry around during the night and whip anybody with if they are just sitting around. I'll list off some of the other ones if I remember them late tonight.

First edit: I was wrong. Everybody gets a towel to whip each other with. Grandma too. This was done to the singing of Dayenu. I'll post a gif at some point.
Last edited by Golran on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

My mom passes out bags that contain items resembling the ten plagues (frogs, bugs, sunglasses for darkness, cotton balls for hail). When we get to that point in the Seder, we throw all those things at each other.

We also sing some songs that are not in the Haggadah, including one that is to the tune of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game".
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Conga line for Chad Gadya. 'Nuff said.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

I once had the thought that if you filmed a hundred seders across the United States, you could cut together the footage almost seamlessly and it would feel totally natural, largely because almost any event that involves multiple members of a Jewish family in a single place is conducted at the same high volume and with the same amount of chaos regardless of location or participants.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)