Panasonic Representatives and All-State Teams

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bigtrain
Rikku

Panasonic Representatives and All-State Teams

Post by bigtrain »

Many states have made announcements indicating their all-state team and/or Panasonic representative team, this thread is to consolidate all of those announcements.

Maryland will be represented by:

Jeff Cao, Montgomery Blair
David Chen, Thomas Wooton
Zach Klitzman, Walt Whitman
Alex Price, Walter Johnson
Rajib Quabili, Paint Branch
Chris Ray, Richard Montgomery

This year, all of the players are public school students from the same county.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Team Virginia:

Neel Kotra (TJ)
Charlotte Seid (TJ)
Dan Schafer (TJ)
Evan Silberman (TJ)
Mark Guerci (Gov)
Xun Zhou (Gov)
Last edited by BuzzerZen on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

BuzzerZen wrote:Team Virginia:

Neel Kotra (TJ)
Charlotte Seid (TJ)
Dan Schafer (TJ)
Evan Silberman (TJ)
Mark Guercy (Gov)
Xun [What's Xun's last name?] (Gov)
Xun's last name is Zhou, and Mark's last name is Guerci, not Guercy
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Team Illinois 2006 is Carlo Angiuli (New Trier), Greg Gauthier (Wheaton North), Tyler Kerr (Rockford Auburn), Matt McKenna (Loyola Academy), Justin Stoncius (Carbondale), and Kristina Warren (Bloomington). There is a wide geographical distribution and only two seniors. Tyler was on last year's team.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

North Carolina's All-State Team is:

Spencer Burdick (Richmond)
Chris Hoersting (Raleigh Charter)
Will Schultz (Raleigh Charter)
Nancy Vanderveer (St. Mary's)
Andrew Zonderman (Raleigh Charter)

I don't think that is our Panasonic team, though.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
Stained Diviner
Auron

The All-State Teams for Illinois can be found here for small schools and here for large schools.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Ohio sends the OAC (Ohio Academic Competition) State Champion to PAC every year, which explains why we do pitiful. This won't be decided until May 6.

Last year, if we could have sent my two best players, Noah Rahman, Zach Witeof and two other strong players, probably Steve and Kyle from Tipp, we would have done extremely well... but hey, the OAC Committee knows all.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Due to funds, unless some benefactor comes in, we're not sending a Panasonic team.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Team Alabama will be represented by the Alabama School of Fine Arts (We use the state champion instead of an All-Star Team) with the following members:

David John Gagne
Trent Thompson
Jonathan Cobb
Gregory Young
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
Concluding Unscientific Post-It Note
Lulu

Post by Concluding Unscientific Post-It Note »

state college finally qualified (for the first time in ten years!)

unfortunately, i can't go, but there's plenty of talent on the b team able to fill my spot. :smile:
mentalchocolate
Wakka

Post by mentalchocolate »

The champion of the Kentucky Govenor's Cup is sent as the representative. Russell won, but I believe they have chosen not to attend. I do not know who (if any) will replace them.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

State College: If we don't play you in the preliminaries, Team Illinois would love to have a scrimmage match with you!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

mentalchocolate wrote:The champion of the Kentucky Govenor's Cup is sent as the representative. Russell won, but I believe they have chosen not to attend. I do not know who (if any) will replace them.
Russell isn't going? Wow. So will we now do the right thing and have an all star team? Or are we pansying out and not sending anybody?

Kentucky:Electricity in almost every home.
vtdavidr
Kimahri

Vermont

Post by vtdavidr »

Congrats to all that are going thus far- especially to State College and my friend Julie Giddings!

Team Vermont will not be attending this year, however. Middlebury Union HS will represent the state at NAQT this year instead.

Good luck to all.

David Rome
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Wow--some big surprises here. I know Vermont had a good showing last year and has had a couple great years in the past. I remember our South Carolina team playing in the "room of death" in the semifinals against Kentucky (who was represented by Russell), Florida, Maryland, and DC.

I think one of the QU NAC prelims is the same time as Panasonic this year, which may be affecting Russell's participation. Anyone able to confirm/deny?
fuzzyfeller
Kimahri

Post by fuzzyfeller »

Russell will be going to Panasonic as the Kentucky team.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Thanks for the correction, and good luck to you guys down there--y'all had a really good team two years ago.
hardeecoach
Lulu

Team Florida

Post by hardeecoach »

Team Florida was chosen last weekend at the Commissioner's Academic Challenge. They are:

Jackson Frenot ( Hardee)
Michael Jezierny (Palm Beach)
Joseph Kostansek (Escambia)
Nimish Ramanlal (Seminole)
David Shimel (Escambia)
Greg Watkins (Santa Rosa)
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Ohio Winner!!!

Fisher Catholic H.S. from Lancaster, Ohio.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Team West Virginia is Cabell Midland High School (unless they choose not to attend, of course).
boynextdoor108
Kimahri

It's true...

Post by boynextdoor108 »

Byko wrote: I think one of the QU NAC prelims is the same time as Panasonic this year, which may be affecting Russell's participation. Anyone able to confirm/deny?
The final phase of QU NAC in Chicago is 12 June and PAC is 10-13 June (which is really strange b/c it was always at the end of June the three years I went to it). So, if Russell does the DC phase of QU NAC and wins it (which they did last year), they're going to run into a scheduling crunch.

I don't understand why Peggy and all of them down in FL decided to move the tournament up two weeks, when they know a lot of teams are still going to be busy with various nationals. My only guesses are either some kind of conflict with the sponsor/WDW or they're trying to offer PAC as an alternative to the other nationals (which I can tell you right know, won't fly with a lot of the teams I've talked to)

A quick Google search, and I can tell you Oklahoma's team for PAC
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter"--Sir Winston Churchill

"There is only one think worse than being talked about, and it is not being talked about"--Oscar Wilde
boynextdoor108
Kimahri

Oklahoma's PAC team

Post by boynextdoor108 »

Oklahoma's PAC team, which is the OQBA All-Star Team chosen in January after a two-round tryout, is:

Chris Chesny ~ Claremore (Junior)
George-Andrew Spriggs ~ Eisenhower (Junior)
Ted Swang ~ Mustang (Senior)
Martin Ye ~ Jenks (Sophomore)
Jessica Wilson ~ Rock Creek (Senior)
Peter Zhang ~ Holland Hall (Sophomore)

I hadn't heard anything from the Howlitzer about anyone from HH trying out for the team. Yay for Peter! And congrats to Martin for making the team again (he was our Math guy last year as a freshman; I can tell you first hand the kid does not miss)

Oklahoma's selection process is a little different then other states: they give out a 70 question written test in October (using actual past PAC questions) at five different locations around the state. They then total up all the results and pick the top 8 scorers in each subject area: Math, Science, Social Studies, and Humanities.

The top 8 in each subject area then get invited to OKC where they put them on buzzer and give them actual PAC questions, but only in that subject area. The winner of each buzzer round is on the team. The second place person from each subject area, plus the four highest scorers on the written test among non-qualifiers, then play an actual PAC game as individuals (all subjects). The two highest scorers are the other two members known as "wild cards", who can be either really strong in one subject or spread out across several (I won the wild card round in 2003 without answering a single math or science question!)

Got that? It's a little confusing, but Gail Bliss is the sweetest lady in the world and I wish them all the best :grin:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter"--Sir Winston Churchill

"There is only one think worse than being talked about, and it is not being talked about"--Oscar Wilde
ebellnaqt
Lulu

PAC Preliminary Pairings

Post by ebellnaqt »

Round I:
N1: California, Minnesota, Texas, Iowa
KL: Nebraska, Florida, North Carolina, New Hampshire
MN: Wyoming, Louisiana, Connecticut, Montana
OP: Ohio, Idaho, Oregon, West Virginia

Round II:
N1: Virginia, New York, Colorado, Alabama
KL: Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, District of Columbia, Oklahoma
MN: New Mexico, Missouri, Washington, New Jersey
OP: Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, Maryland

That second-round OP matchup wins hands-down as this year's Round of Death (IMNSHO).
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Ridiculous.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

From reading IHSSBCA's old archives of Team Illinois exploits of years past, if Panasonic hasn't changed anything format-wise, the losers of MD/IL/KY will be sitting pretty after the bloodbath. From Coach Grierson, 2001:
Team Illinois lost to the North Carolina School of Math & Science 260-259, well ahead of Montana with 96 points, and Virginia with 63 points. ...

Illinois is slated to play New York, Tennessee, and Washington (state) Monday at 12:30 pm in a consolation round (made up of teams that did NOT win today). The winner of the match will, like the winners from today, advance to one of the three semifinal matches. In other words, a win Monday is just as good as a win today would have been. (I know, I know, it doesn't make much sense unless you completely understand the Florida tournament system.) ...

Here's the blessing in disguise: Had we won today, we would have moved into a semifinal match with Maryland and Kentucky, perhaps the two best teams here -- this is the match into which North Carolina, the team that beat us by one point, has been placed.
Of course, that doesn't mean that you won't be thrown in with the losers of CA/TX, VA/AL, MO/DC, and the like. Panasonic is weird, don't let the first round scheduling get you down.
boynextdoor108
Kimahri

Re: PAC Preliminary Pairings

Post by boynextdoor108 »

ebellnaqt wrote:Round I:
N1: California, Minnesota, Texas, Iowa
KL: Nebraska, Florida, North Carolina, New Hampshire

Round II:
N1: Virginia, New York, Colorado, Alabama
KL: Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, District of Columbia, Oklahoma
MN: New Mexico, Missouri, Washington, New Jersey

That second-round OP matchup wins hands-down as this year's Round of Death (IMNSHO).
OP is just painful to read, let alone think about :cry:

Eric, I think we can add a new rule to Team OK's list: regardless of wherever we're playing and on whatever day, it is an unwritten rule that one of the teams in our first-round game will be Team PA. Seriously, AFAIK, in the three years I went to PAC with y'all, we always had PA in the first round

Stained Diviner
Auron

Illinois finished a close third last year after getting whupped in the first match by Virginia.
David Reinstein
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ReinsteinD wrote:Illinois finished a close third last year after getting whupped in the first match by Virginia.
We did NOT get whupped by Virginia!

We got blasted, pulverized, emascerated, ground, beaten, annihilated, vaporized, smashed, crushed, and trampeled....

After that, they really went to work on us.

But not whupped! ;-)

This did end up being a blessing in disguise, because, had we won, we would have ended up in a tough semifinal. As it is, we avoided another date with Virginia, nor did we get Maryland or Florida. We were in the smaller seifinal (only four teams instead of five), and had a great match.
FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

In all of steven's (swwFCqb) excitement of his previous post, he forgot to mention who we were.

Ohio will be represented by OAC winner Fisher Catholic:
Christine Kennedy - Sr.
Kyle Rainier - Sr.
Steven Wellstead - Jr.
Jill Guinan - Jr.

Forgive steve, he's an animal. woot!
Last edited by FCqb on Wed May 31, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let the Looking-Glass creatures, whatever they be
Come dine with the Red Queen, the White Queen and Me
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

In all of Kyle's ( FCqb ) excitement of his previous post, he forgot to mention that Jill is actually a junior, not a sophomore.

Forgive Kyle, he's also an animal...

But back to the real reason I posted.

It seems that Cabell Midland (WV) is scheduled for NAC. What are you planning to do now that you qualified for Panasonic. Are you guys dumping one and going to the other, or are you guys going to both like we are? I'm not sure if anyone out there is from Cabell Midland. Maybe leftsaidfred? I'm just curious where we will see you. We're scheduled to play each other in both Chicago and Orlando, and I'm excited to get another crack at you guys.
ksattelmeyer
Lulu

Post by ksattelmeyer »

Byko wrote:Wow--some big surprises here. I know Vermont had a good showing last year and has had a couple great years in the past. I remember our South Carolina team playing in the "room of death" in the semifinals against Kentucky (who was represented by Russell), Florida, Maryland, and DC.
The "room of death" is a great way of increasing your odds of doing better in the finals :smile: What happened to SC's team this year? I don't see them listed.
hardeecoach
Lulu

Post by hardeecoach »

As forewarned by Byko at NAQT last weekend, North Carolina has bailed out. Apparently there was a conflict with graduation. And, no, this is not the usual date of the PAC tournament, but apparently Disney facilities were not available for the preferred date. Our Florida state tournament was later than usual also.
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Does anyone know who is on the Minnesota team or if there is a website that shows each state's rosters? I went to the Panasonic website but couldn't find it.
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

@Brendan
Wayzata is going, thats as much as I know.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08