Oxford Open: American Editors Required

Old college threads.
Slightly Less British
Lulu

Oxford Open: American Editors Required

Post by Slightly Less British »

So the main UK site of Oxford Open is this Saturday, and we would like it if our set were to be mirrored in the US or Canada at some point. However, as the set is a British housewrite some of the content is unsuitable for American audiences (at least at the regular-minus difficulty of the rest of the set). In previous years, attempts to adapt OOT have mostly been done by non-American Oxford students, with perhaps less than ideal results.

This year, we're looking for a few experienced American editors to adapt the set for American audiences, in return paying them a cut of the mirror fees. We'd hopefully like to have the set ready for mirrors by mid-March, but this could be negotiated.

If you would be interested in helping with this project, please email me at [email protected] with your editorial experience.
Frances Clark-Murray
Oxford '19 (Quiz Society President '17-'18)
Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook
Lulu

Re: Oxford Open: American Editors Required

Post by Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook »

We played the British set yesterday and the response to the set overall was very positive. In general, I think most people would say that it was the best incarnation of Oxford Open thus far and don't think that there would be an undue amount of work for someone. The main thing that needs changing is the British content and thus most of needs changing is the British history, the Geography and bits of British lit.
Daoud Jackson
Oxford 2014-2018
President Oxford University Quiz Society 2016-7
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

In my capacity as "American who played the British version of this set." I will completely back up Daoud's assessment. There are a few cases of unnecessarily confusing wordings, but I'll bet Daoud is or has already taken care of those. OOT 2018 was a tremendously fun set whose Americanization would provide an additional regular-minus set to a spring schedule that is often absolutely punishing for those who haven't been doing this for way too long.
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook
Lulu

Post by Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook »

PSA: There is now a private discussion forum for this tournament.
Daoud Jackson
Oxford 2014-2018
President Oxford University Quiz Society 2016-7
Hobbie Klivian
Lulu

Post by Hobbie Klivian »

Given that the scheduling window for pre-nats tournaments is rapidly closing, I was wondering whether a) this set is still being Americanized and b) there are any scheduled American mirrors of this set.
Paul Lee

Dunlap '15
Penn '19
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Has this set been Americanised and prepared for North American mirroring? If not, would it be possible to mirror the original version of the set?
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020