Florida Spring Tournament (FST) Specific Question Discussion

Old college threads.
TaylorH
Wakka

Florida Spring Tournament (FST) Specific Question Discussion

Post by TaylorH »

Post your comments and thoughts on specific questions here.
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
ArnavS
Lulu

Re: Florida Spring Tournament (FST) Specific Question Discus

Post by ArnavS »

Overall, I had a great time playing this set (the affection for animals was something we noted, but I viewed it as more of a drinking-game type quirk).

Two specific thing/nits to picks:
  • - There was a bonus about functions whose squares are integrable, but it didn't have a note to accept things like "L2 integrable" or "in L2," which is the more formal way of talking about those functions (as opposed to "square integrable.")

- There was a tossup that began "It's not GUT, but a theory with this prefix..." To me, that implied that you want something with the same prefix as the one in GUT. But it wanted another theory, which does something similar to GUT. Maybe that's just my bad. But there was some confusion in our room about that question. (Also, some mods had trouble pronouncing "GUT" --- spelling it out as "G.U.T." might've been better).
Arnav Sood
"We're not going to pay you to come to our tournaments" --- Paul Kasiński
NYU, 2014-2018
University of British Columbia, 2018-2020
Carnegie Mellon, 2021-
LeoLaw
Lulu

Post by LeoLaw »

ArnavS wrote:
  • - There was a bonus about functions whose squares are integrable, but it didn't have a note to accept things like "L2 integrable" or "in L2," which is the more formal way of talking about those functions (as opposed to "square integrable.")
I agree, L2 integrable should even be the preferred answer for that bonus part.
ArnavS wrote: - There was a tossup that began "It's not GUT, but a theory with this prefix..." To me, that implied that you want something with the same prefix as the one in GUT. But it wanted another theory, which does something similar to GUT. Maybe that's just my bad. But there was some confusion in our room about that question. (Also, some mods had trouble pronouncing "GUT" --- spelling it out as "G.U.T." might've been better).
[/list]
I wrote that tossup. I was just really concerned that someone is gonna buzz on that first line and say stuff like "grand" as the prefix, and I agree that there might be a better way to word that, like "its not 'grand', but blah blah blah". I like to see if Jonathen have opinions on this.
Leo
New College of Florida '19
University of Florida ‘25
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

accidental double
Last edited by csheep on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Z
NYU '13
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Set felt pretty good overall, some nitpicky stuff below:

Packet 2 Bonus 6, on _Five Pecks of Rice_
    [*]Should probably include some alternate answerlines, like “Five Grains of Rice” and “Way of the Celestial Masters”, as well as Chinese names “Wu Dou Mi” Dao, “Zheng Yi” Dao, and “Tian Shi” Dao, and a bunch of colloquial names like “Mi Wu,” Mi Zai,” and “Mi Dao”.
    [*]The question asks for “this rebellion,” though Five Pecks of Rice is more commonly referred to as a movement and religious order that’s synonymous with “Celestial Masters,” especially in China. I think it would be helpful to reword it either to “this movement,” or something like “this rebellion that also titles a corresponding religious movement…”, etc.

Packet 3, TU 12, on _ice_
    [*]Seems pretty cliffy to go from extended clues on an open-level answerilne (Sorokin’s Ice trilogy) immediately to a very stock clue on the first line of 100 Years of Solitude.
    *As an aside though, Ice Trilogy is a neat book and it’s great to see it get more QB mention beyond Sorokin’s more scandalous books like The Queue. It also came up in one of the open Skype lit tournaments; possibly Kurtis’s?

Packet 3, Bonus 15, on Chinese poetry
    The pronunciation guides in the lead-in, ‘see’ for ci and ‘she’ for shi are pretty off IMO. I would suggest “tzih” and “shih” respectively, but maybe someone else has better ideas/disagree. This is a really minor thing though, I doubt anyone was actually thrown off by this and couldn’t convert as a result with the next clue.

Packet 4, TU 11, on _Song_ Dynasty
    Not sure who “Zhu Hi” is – is that supposed to read Zhu Xi? If so, probably a pronunciation guide of “see” would be helpful.

Packet 4, TU 13, on _raven_
    Similar issue as ice, with a pretty obscure lead-in going immediately to a cliff on Poe’s The Raven. Seems like there could be more of a “middle” part here.

Packet 4, TUs 1 and 17, on _Japan_
    As mentioned by others, two answerlines on Japan in the same packet seems kinda weird even if they’re different categories.

Packet 5, TU 1, on _Meiji_
    Minor packet feng shui, but opening Round 5 with a TU on Meiji immediately after two TUs on Japan in the previous packet felt a bit jarring.

Packet 5, TU 6, on _9/11_
    Falling Man is dropped pretty early, should probably be moved back.

Packet 6, TU 10, on _Tao_ism
    The pronunciation guide for xian, “SHEE-EN”, is weird, since it’s a monosyllabic word.

Packet 7, TU 6, on _tones_
    As mentioned, Mandarin is dropped pretty early; I would argue the next two lines (Thai 5, Cantonese 6, and rising/level/falling/contour) should all come before.

Packet 6, Bonus 2, on _Schools_
    Should “University/College/etc.” be prompted or not accepted? Current answerline doesn’t have instructions for it, and it probably comes up now and then, as it did in the room I read for.

Packet 8, TU 6, on Emily _Dickinson_
    Typo in “The sister-in law this poet edited a…”, presumably should read “of this poet.”

Packet 8, TU 10, on _Laos_
    Typo in “unexploded ordinance that is scatter across it…”, presumably should read “scattered.”

Packet 8, TU 12, on _cooling_
    Typo in “It’s not a heat bump, the coefficient of performance describes…”, presumably should read “but the coefficient…”

Packet 8, Bonus 3, on Percy _Granger_
    Typo, should read “Grainger.”

Packet 8, Bonus 4, on _New Orleans_
    Typo in “Name this setting of a novel in which home to Ignatius Riley…”, presumably “home to” should be deleted.

Packet 8, Bonus 19, on _China_
    It’s not an issue per se, but there are a lot of bonus parts across categories that are just “where is this thing from”? with the answreline being “China.” E.g. this linguistics one on writing systems, the music bonus on Tan Dun, the lit bonus on poetry/Shijing, sort of the bonus on the Great Firewall, the art bonus on Ai Weiwei, and this one. A couple players commented that it felt “repetitive.”

Packet 9, TU 4, on _lobster_
    Calling Jordan Peterson “alt-right” seems possibly inaccurate. Also what’s a “Dark Professor”? I don’t think this is A Real Term.

Packet 9, TU 7, on _Ascension_
    [*]Typo in “A theosophic belief system know for…”, presumably should read “known for.”
    [*]Should it open with “description acceptable” given the number of answerlines?

Packet 9, TU 9, on _inflation_
    I don’t think shoe leather costs should be in a lead-in, or even in power.

Packet 9, TUs 13 and 18, on _tango_ and _waltz_/_3/4_
    Packet fengshui.

Packet 9, TU 19, on _Donne_
    The line “purpled thy nail in the blood of innocence” is incorrect and appears to be a somewhat common typo or misquotation. The line should read “purpled thy nail in blood of innocence”; there is no “the.”

Packet 9, Bonus 1, on _penny_
    Seems needlessly punishing to not just take “coin” outright.

There was also some repeat content. Not a big deal per se but it felt a bit odd at times. Stuff like Flannery O’Connor, Piazolla and Bokassa.

There was a preponderance of "this animal" content,
    Michael Z
    NYU '13
    TaylorH
    Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

csheep wrote:Set felt pretty good overall, some nitpicky stuff below:

Packet 2 Bonus 6, on _Five Pecks of Rice_
      [*]Should probably include some alternate answerlines, like “Five Grains of Rice” and “Way of the Celestial Masters”, as well as Chinese names “Wu Dou Mi” Dao, “Zheng Yi” Dao, and “Tian Shi” Dao, and a bunch of colloquial names like “Mi Wu,” Mi Zai,” and “Mi Dao”.
      [*]The question asks for “this rebellion,” though Five Pecks of Rice is more commonly referred to as a movement and religious order that’s synonymous with “Celestial Masters,” especially in China. I think it would be helpful to reword it either to “this movement,” or something like “this rebellion that also titles a corresponding religious movement…”, etc.

Packet 3, TU 12, on _ice_
      [*]Seems pretty cliffy to go from extended clues on an open-level answerilne (Sorokin’s Ice trilogy) immediately to a very stock clue on the first line of 100 Years of Solitude.
      *As an aside though, Ice Trilogy is a neat book and it’s great to see it get more QB mention beyond Sorokin’s more scandalous books like The Queue. It also came up in one of the open Skype lit tournaments; possibly Kurtis’s?

Packet 3, Bonus 15, on Chinese poetry
      The pronunciation guides in the lead-in, ‘see’ for ci and ‘she’ for shi are pretty off IMO. I would suggest “tzih” and “shih” respectively, but maybe someone else has better ideas/disagree. This is a really minor thing though, I doubt anyone was actually thrown off by this and couldn’t convert as a result with the next clue.

Packet 4, TU 11, on _Song_ Dynasty
      Not sure who “Zhu Hi” is – is that supposed to read Zhu Xi? If so, probably a pronunciation guide of “see” would be helpful.

Packet 4, TU 13, on _raven_
      Similar issue as ice, with a pretty obscure lead-in going immediately to a cliff on Poe’s The Raven. Seems like there could be more of a “middle” part here.

Packet 4, TUs 1 and 17, on _Japan_
      As mentioned by others, two answerlines on Japan in the same packet seems kinda weird even if they’re different categories.

Packet 5, TU 1, on _Meiji_
      Minor packet feng shui, but opening Round 5 with a TU on Meiji immediately after two TUs on Japan in the previous packet felt a bit jarring.

Packet 5, TU 6, on _9/11_
      Falling Man is dropped pretty early, should probably be moved back.

Packet 6, TU 10, on _Tao_ism
      The pronunciation guide for xian, “SHEE-EN”, is weird, since it’s a monosyllabic word.

Packet 7, TU 6, on _tones_
      As mentioned, Mandarin is dropped pretty early; I would argue the next two lines (Thai 5, Cantonese 6, and rising/level/falling/contour) should all come before.

Packet 6, Bonus 2, on _Schools_
      Should “University/College/etc.” be prompted or not accepted? Current answerline doesn’t have instructions for it, and it probably comes up now and then, as it did in the room I read for.

Packet 8, TU 6, on Emily _Dickinson_
      Typo in “The sister-in law this poet edited a…”, presumably should read “of this poet.”

Packet 8, TU 10, on _Laos_
      Typo in “unexploded ordinance that is scatter across it…”, presumably should read “scattered.”

Packet 8, TU 12, on _cooling_
      Typo in “It’s not a heat bump, the coefficient of performance describes…”, presumably should read “but the coefficient…”

Packet 8, Bonus 3, on Percy _Granger_
      Typo, should read “Grainger.”

Packet 8, Bonus 4, on _New Orleans_
      Typo in “Name this setting of a novel in which home to Ignatius Riley…”, presumably “home to” should be deleted.

Packet 8, Bonus 19, on _China_
      It’s not an issue per se, but there are a lot of bonus parts across categories that are just “where is this thing from”? with the answreline being “China.” E.g. this linguistics one on writing systems, the music bonus on Tan Dun, the lit bonus on poetry/Shijing, sort of the bonus on the Great Firewall, the art bonus on Ai Weiwei, and this one. A couple players commented that it felt “repetitive.”

Packet 9, TU 4, on _lobster_
      Calling Jordan Peterson “alt-right” seems possibly inaccurate. Also what’s a “Dark Professor”? I don’t think this is A Real Term.

Packet 9, TU 7, on _Ascension_
      [*]Typo in “A theosophic belief system know for…”, presumably should read “known for.”
      [*]Should it open with “description acceptable” given the number of answerlines?

Packet 9, TU 9, on _inflation_
      I don’t think shoe leather costs should be in a lead-in, or even in power.

Packet 9, TUs 13 and 18, on _tango_ and _waltz_/_3/4_
      Packet fengshui.

Packet 9, TU 19, on _Donne_
      The line “purpled thy nail in the blood of innocence” is incorrect and appears to be a somewhat common typo or misquotation. The line should read “purpled thy nail in blood of innocence”; there is no “the.”

Packet 9, Bonus 1, on _penny_
      Seems needlessly punishing to not just take “coin” outright.

There was also some repeat content. Not a big deal per se but it felt a bit odd at times. Stuff like Flannery O’Connor, Piazolla and Bokassa.

There was a preponderance of "this animal" content,
      Really great feedback; we appreciate it! We are going through and fixing the typos and errors you mentioned. The repeats and feng shui issues were certainly editorial oversights. The high number of animal toss ups actually was not an intentional thing, it was not until the set was about 90% done that I noticed that we had a ton of them. I blame this on my own quirky writing style, and will dial it back for future tournaments.
      Taylor Harvey (he/him)
      ACF
      University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
      University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
      2021 ACF Nationals Champion
      csheep
      Wakka

Post by csheep »

I'm scrollbowling through Packet 11, and in Q16 on Belgium, the lead-in of "“A gamer from this nation goes by the alias “Ex6Tenz" and is arguably the best Counter Strike: Global Offensive player in the world." is super inaccurate. I follow it very casually and I have some friends who follow the game very very closely and they assure me Ex6Tenz is nowhere close to "best player in the world." Also he plays with LDLC which I'm told is commonly just referred to as "the French team," which so maybe it's a big neg baitey and could be worth opening with "It's not France" if the clue were to be retained.
      Michael Z
      NYU '13
      kitakule
      Wakka

Post by kitakule »

Can I see the Joseph tossup?
      Moses Kitakule
      ESA '15
      Yale '19
      Columbia '28 (???)
      Mahavishnu
      Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

[b][u]Packet 5, Question 14[/u][/b] wrote:One Biblical figure with this name was, with Matthias, one of two people selected to replace Judas Iscariot as an apostle. Another Biblical figure with this name apocryphally created the Glastonbury Thorn with his staff. Yet another Biblical figure of this name pardoned a brother for the supposed theft of a (*) silver cup. One Biblical figure with this name owned the tomb Jesus was buried in and another man with this name was told that he shouldn’t divorce a pregnant woman to whom he was betrothed. For 10 points, give this name shared by a man of Arimathaea, a dude with a colorful coat, and the husband of the Virgin Mary.
      ANSWER: Joseph [accept Barsabbas on the first clue]
      Tracy Mirkin
      South Fork '17
      Florida '22