Canadian Player Poll 2018

Old college threads.
everdiso
Wakka

Canadian Player Poll 2018

Post by everdiso »

It's that time of year again! The Canadian Player Poll returns for its third year running, with a few changes this time around. Eligibility will still be limited to all those who have played at least 2 tournaments on the Central Canadian circuit since May 1st, 2017, and who do not attend schools that primarily play on a different circuit. Open players are fully eligible, as they were last year. However, there will be a new category to vote on, as explained below. In addition, the trash ballot will now take place at the end of the summer, since there was so little trash played over the academic year. Ballots will be 25 players.

Oxford Open: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4399/
HSNCT Mirror Day 1: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
HSNCT Mirror Day 2: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ats/day_2/
Chicago Open: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4457/
Division 1 ICT P.B.M.: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4433/ NOTE: "Gavrilo Randjelovic" was actually Isaac Thiessen
XENOPHON: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4493/
NASAT: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ats/nasat/
Novice: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4614/ and http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4542/
Early Fall Tournament: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4420/
Penn Bowl: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4596/ NOTE: 1/3/0, or 45 points, that Chris got were incorrectly attributed to me in the round-robin stats. Chris's PPG was actually 19.00 and mine was 18.50.
ACF Fall: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4714/
Don DeLillo: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4764/
ACF Regionals: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4908/
SCT: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4953/
Cal's Late-Winter Tournament: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4905/
Canadian Hybrid http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4877/ NOTE: This was a hybrid (half-academic, half-trash) tournament, so consider it carefully.
March Undergraduate Tournament: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4973/
ICT: https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament/s ... nt_id=8401 (Note the presence of both Div 1 and Div 2)
ACF Nationals: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5076/

This year, we will also be adding a new ballot to the poll: Rookie of the Year. Anyone who is otherwise eligible for the player poll and who had never played a university quizbowl tournament before May 1st, 2017 is eligible for this. Ballots will consist of five people.
The presidents of the circuit's clubs have helpfully provided me with a list of rookie-eligible players from their schools, which you will find here and may be helpful in making your Rookie ballot.

Waterloo
Zach Bernstein, Kanav Petkar
McMaster
Emmet Blanchett, Kane Nguyen
U of T
Lyndon Chan, Uzair Chudhary, Wentao Cui, Abel Davtyan, Milan Fernandez, Luc Foster, Sam Hauer, Elisa Kuhn, Josh Lane, Eric Raju, Hikmat Sahak, Alec Sampaleanu, Simone Valade
Queen's
Rachel Bentley, Ambre Lambert, Matt Laporte, Kevin Lei
Carleton
Taylor Moss
McGill
Gareth Adamson, Lucy Coyle, Michael Goodale, Allen Li, Magda Mroz, Jonathan Ong

Finally, like last year, we will again be running a Community poll, to reward those who made the biggest positive contributions to the circuit this year by staffing, organising, driving players, hosting players at their houses or anything else of the sort. Services to one's own club - tournament directing and staffing tournaments that one's club hosts - will be considered, but helping out other clubs or helping out as an open player will be valued more highly. Ballots will be 10 people.

Ballots can be submitted by messaging me on Facebook, emailing me at [email protected] or (the most fun way) posting them in this thread, preferably with commentary. Ballots are due by 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, May 12th. Have fun and rank well!
Last edited by everdiso on Thu May 03, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Kasiński
University of Toronto, 2020
afriesacher
Kimahri

Re: Canadian Player Poll 2018

Post by afriesacher »

After many seconds of deliberation and applying the latest breakthroughs in sabermetrics to develop a new statistic, I have ranked the Canadian circuit in terms of their WAP (Wins Above Paul). Unfortunately I cannot disclose the equation which determines WAP, but I'm sure everyone will agree with my ranking.

1. Derek So
Derek is considerably better than Paul.

2. Rein O.
Considerably better than Paul, but not as considerably better than Paul as Derek is.

3. Aaaywhosh
I'm not sure who this is but they put up decent numbers.

4. Daniel Lovsted
Considerably better than Paul, though his considerably-better-than-Paul-ness is considerably shadowed by the most considerably better than Paul.

5. Jay Misuk
Considerably comparable to Daniel according to WAP, but Daniel is taller.

6. Ian Dewan
Very good, a WAP of 2.1 earns him 6th in my books.

7. Dennis Beeby
Also very good, though his WAP is hurt by playing on week teams.

8. Cameron Amini
He's pretty good.

9. Jack Goo
Big G certainly didn't finish the year strong, but at EFT and Regionals he demonstrated what he can do when his teammates aren't #1 and #4 on this list.

10. Andrej V.
Andrej dashed McGill B's hopes of winning SMT when he made a last-minute appearance. That and his overall skill compared to Paul make him the first Lisgar Loser to crack the list.

11. Paul
Paul.

12. Henry Atkins
I'm not sure what will make Henry more mad, me ranking him below Paul or me negging him out of a football question the next time we play together. Henry is kind of like if Paul weren't as good at history and geography but was better at literature.

13. Erik Christianson
Strong showings all year, especially at SMT and ICT, but, like Mr. Beeby, his WAP is hurt by playing on a weak team.

14. Zhenglin Liu
As with all the Toronto B players this one was tricky. Zhenglin had a positive WAP at a couple of important tournaments and would have been ranked higher if not for ICT, but on the big (opera) stage Zhenglin was outshined by Paul's beautiful contralto buzzer.

T15. Akhilles Garg
He probably would have been ranked below Joe had this poll taken place earlier in the year, but a strong showing at ICT and NATs combined with alphabetic priority make Gargantua the 2nd Lisgar Leper on my list.

T15. Joesuph
Joe claims to not be good at quizbowl, but he knows too much music and general canon for that to be true. Weighing in with a -0.1 WAP, Joe is Lisgar's third player to be ranked.

17. Jack Van Nostrand
Solid player who held his own when playing with Dennis and can rack up the points on a weaker team. Also a very punctual and helpful editor/writer.

18. Chris Sims
Very good. Not quite a Paul yet, but maybe one day.

19. Austin Freezacker
Might be able to get a baseball question against Paul, though it seems unlikely.

20. Sam Hauer
He took a game off us at SCT and I don't want to talk about it. Reminds me of a young Paul.

21. Magda Mroz
Also reminds me of a young Paul, though with a dash of Poland.

22. Raymond Chendler
Toronto B's captain might not be a Paul, but he was an important part of Toronto's first bracket finish at ICT.

23. Peter Cordeiro
Very friendly, I look forward to seeing him start a club at Western.

24. Ted Gan
Good science Paul.

25. Luc Foster
With a few neg prizes under his belt already, Luc looks poised for a promising career as the next Jack Guo. Not really comparable to Paul.
Austen Friesacher
McGill University '19
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Don't let Jock Goo's ONE PPG performance at SCT and MINUS ONE PPG performance at ICT detract you from looking at McGill B's successes at Regionals and EFT.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Remember to account for both prelims and round robins at a number of the tournaments (like CO or ICT), some people are sleepy in the morning, but pull a Frampton in the afternoon and vice versa!
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Remember to account for both prelims and round robins at a number of the tournaments (like CO or ICT), some people are sleepy in the morning, but pull a Frampton in the afternoon and vice versa!
Very solid advice! Please especially heed this in the case of both Toronto teams at this year's ICT.
Paul Kasiński
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Post by Gene Harrogate »

This is the first year I feel like I've actually been involved in the circuit enough to even think about ranking you people, and as it stands I'll probably have some gross errors/omissions. Call me out: if you think my rankings are stupid, you're probably right! Most of the people here don't play much as Nats level, and so I'm ranking players based more along regular difficulty.

This ranking is dedicated to the loving memory of Hu Ham.

1. Derek So
The face of Canadian Quizbowl. God help us.

2. Rein Otsason
I think still considered uncontroversially the best science player in CanQB. I haven't played him much but I feel pretty comfortable ranking him here.

3. Aayush Rajasekaran
Godly at low levels (see: this year's ACF Fall) and, judging by this year's ICT and Nats stats, scales up well. Good internet presence, despite reports to the contrary.

4. Daniel Lovsted
I had actually considered ranking Daniel as high as number 2. That doesn't seem quite right after ICT and Nats, but his stellar performance at SCT (as many powers as Derek) while under the shadow of an absurdly good Lit/Fine Arts player shows he is solidly one of the best.

5. Ian Dewan
I don't know Ian very well, but he seems to be not only a top science player, but a borderline generalist. Puts up good numbers on strong teams and huge numbers on weak teams. The bowtied pride of Ottawa's east side.

6. Jay Misuk
The third ostensibly Toronto player to make the top 6, Jay is the best history/geography player in CanQB. Negs a lot.

7. Dennis Beeby
Unfortunately my active interest in Quizbowl seems to have coincided with Dennis' period of least involvement. Can still put up stupid amounts of points (as seen at Fall), but inconsistent involvement and low power percentages hurt.

8. Cameron Amini
Super deep history knowledge and I like his Dead Kennedys shirt.

9. Zhenglin Liu
Toronto B can't seem to pick a player to lead them in points which makes them hard to rank for the relatively uninformed (i.e., me). I've been told Zhenglin is the best, and he certainly seems to shine against harder competition--as his afternoon at ICT in the top bracket shows. His style is impetuous, his defense is impregnable, his opera is ostentatious.

10. Erik Christensen
Canada's most memetic son. Writes great content, but is a notable player in his own right, especially in history. No less than 2018 ICT DII's top scorer.

11. Jack Guo
This might be a shock to some, considering Jack wasn't even ranked at all last year. That was a crime in my mind since Jack is arguably McGill's third best player, and he consistently puts up good scoring numbers when playing easier stuff with me and Austen. Suffers from the occasional negplosion, but his great breadth of coverage means he can get tossups in just about any major category. Had an unfortunate SCT and ICT for a couple of reasons: Derek and Daniel shadow his best categories, and when playing with Joe or Akhil he can't get science tossups like he does with the B teamers. Still deserves recognition, and he will be missed.

12. ADR
It's difficult for me to accurately rank open players. In most cases they're probably underrated since I don't feel comfortable extrapolating from events like HSNCT mirrors and am in general less clued into summer stuff. Aaron is the only open player I feel comfortable ranking very highly, though I imagine he would be less valuable at higher levels than some players below him.

13. Akhil Garg
The Greek god of scaling up, Akhil had a great ICT and Nats. If I was ranking players based on benefit to teams competing at national tournaments, Akhil might very well be top 10. Number 1 in my heart.

14. Paul Kasinski
Very good history player, and seems to buzz well in other categories. Had a very good morning at ICT, though outperformed by Zhenglin in the afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed playing against Toronto B this year, and I hope we were able to at least make them sweat a little at SCT.

15. Chris Sims
After SCT I probably would've had him above Paul, but his ICT stats don't really support that. Still pretty awesome player though. Where does Toronto keep getting these people.

16. Faheem Pahlwan
Another open player. To be perfectly honest I don't really know much about this person except that for tearing up lit at EFT. Maybe deserves to be ranked higher?

17. Joe Su
Notable plane crash enthusiast and saturnine ambassador of McGill Quizbowl.

18. Andrej Vukovic
Another good contributor for Carleton.

19. Me!
I feel kind of weird ranking myself. I put up pretty good numbers in DII ICT and SCT, but I have yet to prove myself at higher levels.

20. Austen Freezacker
Austen didn't have quite the ICT he wanted (especially in the second half) but he put up really excellent stats at tournaments like SCT and SMT (he led us in scoring at the latter). He regularly first lines things like monads and he's managed to build a quite impressive base of fine arts knowledge over the past year or two. Also a notable member of the worst bonus consultation dynamic in CanQB.

21. Jack van Nostrand
Had a notably great SCT last year. Didn't get to see him play all that much this year, but it would seem the future of Queen's is in good hands.

22. Adam Swift
My fellow American. Probably underrated here for being an open player. Really stellar second half of Hybrid.

23. Leslie Newcombe
Another open player with a good general coverage.

24. Cooper Albertson-Webb
Not gonna lie, much like Faheem I don't really know this person. Good stats and I think he might've firstlined "Sunday Morning" at the August NASAT mirror against us, so would seem to deserve a spot on the list.

EDIT: My unfamiliarity with this person is really showed by my assigning them the wrong last name.

25. Raymond Chen
The fourth member of Toronto B to make the list. His stats are worse than his teammates, but as seen at ACF Fall he can put up good numbers when asked to lead a weaker team.

Hono(u)rable Metions: Ted Gan, Magda Mroz, Sam Hauer, Peter Cordeiro, Josh Lane, Simone Valade, the late great Hu Ham, and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
cwasims
Wakka

Post by cwasims »

I’m generally basing this ranking on Nationals/Nationals-minus difficulty. Let me know if you think I've made some grievous error--I spent a decent amount of time looking over various stats from the year, and relied quite a bit on the ACF Regs advanced stats. I know I'm ranking myself higher than the previous two ballots have, but I do think I have some rationale for doing so.

1. Derek So. Obviously not too much to say here - Derek has become an even better non-science generalist, and is the only player at a Canadian university to rank among the elite players of Quiz Bowl overall.

2. Rein Otsason. Playing with Rein this year has definitely made me more aware of his knowledge of all sorts of areas, not just his obvious strengths in physics (where he missed almost no tossups at Nationals, if any), math, and philosophy. His deep strengths and pockets of deep knowledge allow him consistently put up a good statline against pretty much any team.

3. Ian Dewan. Ian’s broad generalism and deep knowledge of science and philosophy make him the cornerstone of the fairly successful Carleton team this year. He had a lot of first buzzes at ACF Regs given his high PPG. It’s been nice to see his excellent playing ability supplemented by support from several very good teammates this year.

4. Daniel Lovsted. Although Derek’s shadow effect on Daniel is huge, he is still clearly one of the best players in Canada. He easily outscored Jay on the same team at EFT, and had a very high first buzz percentage at Regionals. Definitely the best visual fine arts player in Canada, judging by the Regionals stats.

5. Zhenglin Liu. Zhenglin’s excellent performance at CMST, and very good performances throughout the year, are definitely enough to propel him to this spot in my ranking. He’s an outstanding auditory arts and mythology player (and a much-improved physics one) but has incredible buzzes in categories across the board. At CMST, his buzzpoints were consistently earlier than Jay’s on average.

6. Jay Misuk. I’ve faced Jay a lot at tournaments this year, and he’s an excellent player, especially in terms of the obscure and arcane knowledge he has of history, geography, and world cultures. Jay definitely negs too much, though, which sometimes hurts his team.

7. Dennis Beeby. Although Dennis may have slipped somewhat last year (according to some), he did very well at the tournaments he played this year and has been instrumental in Queen’s good performance at this year’s ACF Regionals. His history knowledge is easily one of the best in the circuit. At the online SMT mirror, he did worse than Rein but better than Aayush.

8. Aayush Rajasekaran. Aayush generally does well in his categories--aside from ICT, though, he doesn’t tend to power as much as other comparable players (although a lot of his buzzes are solidly middle-clue). At Nationals, he was able to pick up all sorts of varied and often obscure literature tossups, although his performance was at times a bit variable.

9. Akhil Garg. Akhil’s ACF Nationals performance is the reason he’s so high on this list: given that he mostly gets questions in science, an overall PPG of 20 indicates a very dominant performance in his categories at nationals difficulty.

10. Cameron Amini. I did better at EFT, but he did better at Penn Bowl. Given this is based on Nationals difficulty, I’ll give Penn Bowl the benefit of the doubt. An excellent history player who has a lot of deep knowledge, and complemented Ian extremely well.

11. Christopher Sims. Although I didn’t do as well at ICT, I think my ACF Nationals stats should support this ranking--over the entire tournament, I basically got the same number of points as Aayush (neither of us really had much overlap). I generally outscored Paul Kasinski in most tournaments during the year, including at CMST, which was the closest we played to Nationals difficulty, but was usually a bit behind Zhenglin.

12. Paul Kasinski. Paul has a lot of deep knowledge about modern things in many categories, and can (contrary to some of his own assertions) buzz on a huge array of categories, which sometimes include his pockets of not-insignificant physics knowledge. He outpowered me at a few tournaments this year (including ICT, although a fair bit of that can be chalked up to NAQT distro), but I generally think I have a slight edge.

13. Erik Christensen. I’ve practiced with Erik a lot, and we buzz in many of the same categories. My CMST buzzpoints generally had a slight edge over his, though, and Paul also did somewhat better at various tournaments during the year. I’d have a hard time saying which one of Erik, Paul, or I is better based on Toronto practices, though.

14. Aaron dos Remedios. Aaron is an exceptional generalist, and does very well at Toronto practices (as well as at the summer HSNCT mirror). He did fairly well at CMST against a very strong field, but my general sense from practice is that he does somewhat worse at harder levels. I could definitely see an argument for placing him somewhat higher--it’s too bad there aren’t more open tournaments that he can play!

15. Henry Atkins. Henry did well at ICT (short-handed), but I’m generally ranking the McGill B players a bit lower than the Toronto B ones given that Toronto B was clearly a better team during the year. Had a fairly high number of first buzzes at ACF Regionals, though, so I may be underranking him.

16. Joe Su. Joe’s deep music and life science knowledge were key in McGill A’s success this year. He doesn’t buzz as often, but when he does it definitely gives them an important edge. Also, kudos for the WAO II music, which I really enjoyed!

17. Jack Guo. I know people have commented that he deserves to be ranked higher, but I’m not especially convinced of this given his very poor performances playing on good teams. He’s clearly good at regular difficulty, though (and playing with weaker teammates), but in my mind doesn’t have enough deep knowledge in a category to be effective at higher difficulties. Somewhat lower first buzz percentage at Regs than Henry.

18. Austen Friesacher. Slightly worse than Henry, although definitely still a very good player. He’s particularly good at painting, from what I recall. Didn’t do great at EFT, but did well at ACF Regs.

19. Faheem Pahlwan. Hasn't played much this year and seemed to have slipped a fair bit when he came to a Nats prep practice at some point in second semester. Still has a lots of great literature knowledge, which once helped us win against McGill A at SCT last year!

20. Adam Swift. Generally a supporting player for Jay this year, and plays that role effectively with many great buzzes on Americana (and deep knowledge of p-values).

21. Cooper Albertson-Webb. Hasn’t played much this year but I know he’s extremely good. He probably should be ranked much higher than this.

22. Jack van Nostrand. Did well at Penn Bowl and as a supporting player for Dennis.

23. Raymond Chen. Definitely an integral part of Toronto B’s success with his deep biology and (mostly modern) lit knowledge. He did pretty well at Regs too on a top-3 team.

24. Ted Gan. A good supporting player on a strong Carleton team this year. Played a few more tournaments than Andrej and did well at them.

25. Andrej Vuckovic. Another good supporting player on this year’s strong Carleton team.

For rookie of the year, I'll vote Sam Hauer, Simone Valade, Josh Lane, Zach Bernstein, and Luc Foster (in that order).
Edited to add more readable spacing.
Last edited by cwasims on Thu May 03, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher Sims
University of Toronto 2T0
Northwestern University 2020 - ?
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
1) Derek So, (Sir Winston Churchill BC, provincial champion 2008, 2009)
2) Rein Otsason (UTS, provincial and national champion 2012)
3) Daniel Lovsted (UTS, provincial champion 2012, national champion 2012, 2013)
4) Ian Dewan (Earl of March, came 5-2 at provincials once)
5) Aayush Rajasekaran (Int'l)
6) Zhenglin Liu (UTS)
7) Jay Misuk (Westmount, made the playoffs back in 2002)
8) Aaron Dos Remedios (Open, The fake London Central)
9) Dennis Beeby (Waterloo CI, provincials top 10 a couple of times)
10) Cameron Amini (Colonel By, refused to attend provincials because Reach sucks)
11) Erik Christensen (Martingrove, provincial champion 2013)
12) Chris Sims (Eric Hamber, national finalist 2016, provincial champion 2014, 2015, 2016)
13) Paul Kasinski (Martingrove, provincial champion 2013, national champion 2014)
14) Akhil Garg (Lisgar, provincials top 10 a couple of times)
15) Joe Su (Lisgar, national semifinalist 2011)
16) Jack Guo (Saint John High School, never beat KVHS in four years of existence)
17) Henry Atkins (Int'l)
18) Austen Friesacher (Plebe, beat martingrove, provincials top 10 a couple of times)
19) Faheem Pahlwan (Open, East Scarborough, provincials top 10 a couple of times)
20) Adam Swift (Open, Int'l)
21) Copper Albertson-Webb (Open, Centennial CVI, provincial champion and national finalist 2011)
22) Leslie Newcombe (Open, UTS, provincials top 10 a couple of times)
23) Jack van Nostrand (UCC, provincial finalist 2015)
24) Raymond Chen (Dr. Norman Bethune CI)
25) Andrej Vukovic (Lisgar, provincial top 10 2013)

There were five open players on my ballot. In replacement, we have these five honorable mentions:
26) Ted Gan (Colonel By, provincial top 10 2014)
27) Hu Ham (Int'l)
28) Sam Hauer
29) Beter Corderio
30) Luc Foster (Int'l)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
1) Sam Hauer, Innisdale Secondary School
2) Luc Foster, some IHSA school
3) Simone Valade, Westmount Secondary School
4) Magda Mroz, Wilmington Charter
5) Zach Bernstein, Pcademy Aor Cifted Ehildren

There are too many good players from the University of Toronto Schools (Ecole Universitaire de Toronto) !!!!
Last edited by Fado Alexandrino on Sun May 13, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Su, OCT
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

No one has done a community poll ballot yet, so here's one to get the ball rolling.

1. Joe Su - He is the only person I can think of whose contributions to the circuit would be difficult to replace. He staffs everything everywhere if he has no intent of playing it, he whips McGill and Carleton's clubs into shape, and he is also a good organizer of tournaments. Add that to his writing and editing contributions, and you've got a clearer #1 than Derek in the academic poll.

2. Adam Swift - Yeah, this seems kind of cocky, but the guidelines work out nicely in my favor. I don't have a Canadian circuit club anywhere near me, yet I've found a way to staff in every Canadian city hosting closed tournaments this year. Also, being one of the few car owners in Canadian quizbowl means that I am contributing to making these tournaments happen in more ways than one.

3. Aaron Dos Remedios - He's toned down his staffing commitments a bit this year, but he is still the best moderator, while also hitting both the non-staffing points listed in the guidelines.

4. Christine Irwin - The clump from 4 to 9 was hard to put in order, but the guidelines suggesting that participation outside of your local events should be valued more pushes Christine to the top of that tier. Christine's desire to play every trash tournament ever frequently puts her in a staffing role for the academic main events far from her home in Ottawa. She also heroically sacrificed her chance to play Hybrid to be an editor, and played an important role in getting the tournament done on time (and she was still perfecting it on the drive to the tournament!).

5. Rico Catibog - A loyal Toronto-based staffer, Rico proves his worth by staffing a lot of the events people would rather play. He also provides plenty of sucrose for players, and that's the real reason we're in quizbowl, right?

6. Leslie Newcombe - Though her club doesn't do much, Leslie is very involved with the Canadian circuit. She is also integral in solving the problem of how to get the masses of Toronto-based quizbowlers to non-Toronto tournaments. If I wasn't writing this after a long game of ultimate, I'm sure I could come up with some petty reason to drop her a few spots, but she deserves a high rank.

7. Dennis Beeby - He has brought the club at Queens back from the brink of extinction, and is a strong moderator as well. If he weren't around, Queens would likely have continued on their one tournament a year pace, but he has got it to the point where tournaments are hosted in Kingston and are fairly well attended. I'd put him in contention for the best TD, as Queens tournaments have been extremely well run.

8. Brendan McKendy - Great moderator, better host. Unfortunately, the guidelines for this poll aren't doing him any favors, so this is probably a lower rank than he deserves.

9. Jay Misuk - Jay rubs a lot of people the wrong way when staffing or talking about staffers. However, he brings a much needed guiding hand to McMaster quizbowl (despite being a Toronto student) and drove the entirety of the Waterloo team to ICT.

10. Isaac Thiessen - Isaac has been a good TD and a solid moderator, and is a generally a capable contributor to the Canadian quizbowl community, with the obvious exception of a certain Reach-related incident. Still ranked, but more in line with the Honorable Mention list than with those listed here above him.

Honorable Mentions: Brian Luong, Meghan Torchia, Peter Cordeiro
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I think it's very strange that the best Canadian quizbowl player in history is at his peak and you guys come up with rules to exclude him.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:I think it's very strange that the best Canadian quizbowl player in history is at his peak and you guys come up with rules to exclude him.
The thread title is a bit a of a misnomer, it's about the regional "circuit" which includes some American attendees of Canadian schools and an open player from upstate New York.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

I think it's very strange that the best Japanese baseball player in the world is tearing up MLB right now but Japan's league has come up with rules to exclude him from its MVP race.

"Canadian Quizbowl" is a community. It consists of the schools and players who... play quizbowl in Canada. Rafael, who plays for Columbia in America, is very good but not part of that community, regardless of where he was born. So he isn't included in this poll. It's really not hard to understand and I don't know why you decided to come here and argue with it.
Paul Kasiński
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:I think it's very strange that the best Canadian quizbowl player in history is at his peak and you guys come up with rules to exclude him.
wait I thought he graduated after last year
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

heterodyne wrote:
wait I thought he graduated after last year
yeah, not currently a student, seems straightforward even in the crazy mixed-up land of Canada
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

Auks Ran Ova wrote: yeah, not currently a student, seems straightforward even in the crazy mixed-up land of Canada
Gotta say, though, playing him back in 2014 was inspirational, he's so good!
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

why would someone a year and a half out of school be at his peak
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

...anyway.

Here's my community ballot for this year. Keep in mind I'm pretty biased towards the Toronto region, so I won't really be able to discuss anyone who mostly stays in Ottawa or other places.

1. Joe Su
Joe is absolutely deserving of the number one spot here. He has always gone above and beyond to help organize and staff nearly every tournament in Canada, has set up his own e-stats system for my tournaments numerous times, regularly houses people who attend tournaments in Ottawa, and asks for nothing in return. The Canadian circuit would not function the way it does without him.

2. Aaron Dos Remedios
Aaron has also done a lot of work both for the Toronto club and for other clubs. He regularly helps run our practices, and staffs basically everything he doesn't play. He is a great moderator and is always willing to drive people to and from tournaments in other cities. Toronto is very lucky to have him around so much.

3. Adam Swift
Adam is another person who is always willing to drive around to staff tournaments, and is often willing to drive Toronto players to/from various cities as well. I believe he has staffed most if not all Canadian tournaments that were run this season.

4. Rico Catibog
Rico mostly stays in Toronto nowadays, but he's been a great help to Toronto's tournaments by staffing or doing stats at many of them and occasionally drives players around now that he has a car. He has been described as a "provider of cookies and all-round nice guy", which I think is pretty accurate.

5. Leslie Newcombe
Leslie is often involved in staffing Toronto quizbowl tournaments, and has saved our hide many times by offering to drive Toronto players to and from tournaments, which is great especially since we have so many players nowadays.

6. Dennis Beeby
I don't think I've actually seen Dennis in person this year at all, but given that this is a community involvement post and not specifically a staffing post, he deserves to be on here. As Adam said, he singlehandedly brought the Queen's club back from extinction, which is no small feat. It's great to have a new club emerge, especially as we seem to be slowly losing a few others.

7. Me, Meghan Torchia
I can't drive, I rarely leave Toronto, and my apartment is too small to house anyone, but I'm still going to put myself on this list. I've TDed nearly every tournament hosted by Toronto over the past three years and generally put a lot of work into those tournaments. A lot of people come to those, so I think that's a decent contribution to the community.

8. Brian Luong
Brian also comes out to staff for me a lot, and sometimes drives our players around. I don't think I see him as much as Leslie though, so she was ranked higher.

9. Brendan McKendy
Brendan is another person I very rarely see, but I am aware that he does good work in Ottawa and he's always been a good moderator when I've seen him. I'm not allowed to consider this in my rankings, but it's worth mentioning that he does a lot of work for the high school circuit around here as well.

10. Peter Cordeiro
Peter is a valiant president of McMaster quizbowl. He has always been pretty involved in planning out the circuit, and has generally been willing to staff things for me. He's also generally a nice guy.

Honourable mention: Raymond Chen, because once I asked him to staff a tournament and then completely forgot he was on my staffer list and then had to find him something to do when he showed up in the morning. Sorry, Raymond.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Dennis has sent me his player, rookie and staffer ballots. Five more days to get yours in!
Paul Kasiński
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

1. Derek So - This was very difficult to figure out, but in the end I determined that it was indeed Derek who played two tournaments in Canada this year, not his evil twin Osker Ed.

2. Rein Otsason - That science specialty is rather valuable, and he has enough generalism to be the top scorer for Toronto. Whether you are choosing by ability or the fear you feel when playing him, he is the clear #2.

3. Ian Dewan - He upgraded his teammates in a big way and didn't downgrade his scoring much at all. He doesn't quite instill the fear in opponents like Rein, instead preferring to quietly destroy you. He also was among the top scorers at Hybrid despite skewing far more toward academic than anyone else up there with him.

4. Aayush Rajasekaran - A beast at mythology, Aayush has managed to keep pace with Rein in scoring for Toronto. He has taken advantage of Jay's poor play to steal lit buzzes is also a top tier lit player, and brings visual art knowledge to the table too.

5. Daniel Lovsted - Has taken up residence in Derek's shadow, but EFT showed he can still be dangerous. There may be a case for ranking him above Aayush, but I think Aayush has deeper knowledge.

6. Dennis Beeby - Though we unfortunately did not see Dennis at hard tournaments this year, everyone knows he scales up very well. He really showed this by winning Jay's GHOTI geography tournament. His generalism keeps him as the top scorer of an up-and-coming Queens team.

7. Zhenglin Liu - Another rather close decision here. Zhenglin only drops below Dennis because his specialty area is a little narrower. Still, don't sleep on someone who was one more Jay neg away from being the top scorer at CMST (and top powerer regardless).

8. Chris Sims - Possibly controversial to put him ahead of Jay, but I think there are two good reasons for this. First, he did about as well as Jay at CMST despite having much more of a shadow effect to deal with. Second, his performance at ACF Nationals with Toronto A was better than Jay's ICT performance with Toronto A.

9. Jay Misuk - Jay's scoring has dropped this year, but his neg numbers are as strong as ever. But at least he got his 3 negs per game at CMST down to just over 1 neg per game when ICT rolled around. His generalism helps out a lot, as he can threaten on fine arts and literature in addition to being a master of science.

10. Cameron Amini - Cameron is a solid history player with a low neg rate. His power rates have also been on the lower end, but he is still going to put up plenty of points.

11. Aaron Dos Remedios - Aaron's main strength is old player generalism (a fancy way of saying stock clues), but his CMST numbers against a stronger Maryland field show he's still able to scale up well.

12. Erik Christensen - My ballot last year predicted that Erik would lead Waterloo to the top bracket at D2 ICT. That didn't age well. But what did age well was ranking Erik highly, which he backed up by being the top scorer at D2 ICT.

13. Akhil Garg - Akhil performed better at Nationals than at Regionals, and by a decent margin. Though his generalism is unspectacular, he is one of the strongest specialists, and specialists are an important part of a balanced contender.

14. Henry Atkins - Henry led McGill B to within a dubious moderator call of top bracket at D2 ICT. He also had McGill keeping things close against a good Carleton team at SMT until Cameron called in the cavalry for the finals game.

15. Paul Kasinski - While not the best player on Toronto B, Paul is the NAQT specialist, so he got a scoring trophy at ICT while all his teammates got were new nemeses. Plus, he recently had a statistic named after him, so he has to be a good player.

16. Austen Friesacher - The latest installment in the long line of McGill painting players, Austen also is integral to McGill B's ability to get thought questions. Which is surprising considering McGill B's bonus consultation suggests that thinking isn't really a strong suit of theirs.

17. Adam Swift - While my NAQT staffing duties and my unawareness that Toronto's EFT mirror was open prevented me from having an easier tournament to showcase my knowledge of my share of the canon at a low level, I still think this is a reasonable place for me. I outscored Jay on history at CMST and am also solid with RMPSS and "other science". I also tend to be good for catching at least one pack per tournament, which can be good enough for a major upset (see my second game against Ian/Brendan's team at Hybrid).

18. Leslie Newcombe - There was a smidgen of truth in Joe's summary of Leslie's skills from last year, as Ryerson proved completely unable to to win games. Jokes aside, Leslie is a solid generalist who has been roughed up by the shadow effect at more difficult tournaments. From playing with her, I can say that she is really good on bonuses, as our teams tend to have higher PPB than our tossups would suggest.

19. Raymond Chen - Raymond does two things, science and whatever lit Chris and Zhenglin don't want to read. However, he does them very well. Also, his impact as captain of a top bracket D2 ICT team should not be understated.

20. Jack Guo - His McGill teammates are high on him, but I'm not as sold. He has had some solid performances, but it is hard to overlook the one and neg one he has put up in two tournaments with McGill A. His best strategy is to use one of his trademark negs to incapacitate the other team with laughter.

21. Andrej Vukovic - Andrej and Ted have provided fairly similar contributions to Carleton as 3rd/4th scorers. Andrej gets the slight nod here due to better generalism and some deep math knowledge.

22. Ted Gan - Ted's engineering knowledge has translated into some excellent physics buzzes, and he also can get points in the rest of the science distribution.

23. Cooper Albertson-Webb - He's got plenty of poetry knowledge, but is hard to judge on other categories. His power count at XENOPHON was impressive, speaking to the depth of his lit knowledge.

24. Jack Van Nostrand - His high score at Fall showed that Queens can still be a threat without Dennis. He was also the top scorer on the highest placing team of the Queens horde at Penn Bowl.

25. Sam Hauer - Sam was the best of a good class of Toronto rookies, and was a major part of an upset of McGill B that prevented them from getting another crack at Toronto B for a chance to win SCT. Look for him at D2 ICT next year.

Honorable Mention: Joe Su, Will Sanna, Hugh Hamilton

Rookie of the Year:
1. Sam Hauer
2. Josh Lane
3. Magda Mroz
4. Kevin Lei
5. Emmet Blanchett
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

My staffing ballot is:

1) Joe
2) Aaron
3) RICO
4) Dennis
5) Meghan
6) Peter
7) Christine
8) Brian
9) Brendan
10) Paul

Honorable mention: Adam
Joe Su, OCT
Triton of the Minnows
Lulu

Post by Triton of the Minnows »

1. Derek So
2. Rein Otsason
3. Aayush "Classic Rock Fan" Rajasekaran
4. Ian Dewan
5. Daniel Lovsted
6. Dennis "El Caudillo" Beeby
7. Jay Misuk
8. Zhenglin Liu
9. Cameron Amini
10. Aaron Dos Remedios
11. Paweł Kasiński
12. Jack Guo
13. Henry Atkins
14. Akhil Garg
15. Joe Su
16. Erik Christensen
17. Chris Sims
18. Adam Swift
19. Raymond Chen
20. Austen Friesacher
21. Faheem Pahlwan
22. Leslie Newcombe
23. Andrej Vuković
24. Jack "Science God" van Nostrand
25. Cooper Albertson-Webb

(Paweł is Paul)
Jack van Nostrand
Queen's University 2020/22

There might be a five-legged dragon in my house but no one has ever seen it
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

The rookie ballot was pretty tough to settle on, since lots of these players only played a few tournaments and they were often hard to compare directly. Canada had a really deep crop of rookies this year, though, and hopefully all of these (and many other good ones!) stick around.

1. Kevin Lei
This is pretty controversial, as Kevin hardly played any tournaments this year and didn't put up great surface numbers at either Regionals or Penn Bowl. However, his Regionals buzzpoints are eye-popping, and it's clear that he would've put up a lot of points if he hadn't been playing with one of the best history players on the circuit and another solid one in Jack. These early buzzes get even more impressive when you consider the fact that he had only one neg. At Penn Bowl, he had a solid number of powers, and his PPG was again stunted by playing on a team with two other history players. Overall, it's that remarkable Regionals performance - which also included some strong science buzzes, a good sign for Queen's going forward - that puts him at the top.

2. Sam Hauer
Sam, a second year, didn't know about quizbowl in first year, but when his friend Chris told him about it this fall, it quickly became clear that he's a natural. Sam has great knowledge of politics and current events, especially in America. He's also a very strong American history player, one of the best on the circuit, and is pretty good at other history. To top it off, he has solid philosophy and classical music knowledge and once beat Zhenglin to an opera tossup, and even gets some good lit buzzes. Same did incredibly well at SCT, finishing with the fourth-most powers in Div 2 and leading his team to a shock defeat of McGill B, and also had some really good buzzes at Regionals. His Nationals performance was a bit disappointing, but he's a really good player and he should do very strongly next year in his first full season.

3. Josh Lane
Josh came to U of T from Lisgar's quizbowl team and was immediately one of our strongest juniors. He's one of the best mythology players on the circuit already, as evinced by his amazing Regionals buzzes, and knows lots of old history, with particular strengths in Europe and China, as well as American history. Add some decent poetry knowledge, and you've got an impressive 9 powers at E.F.T., a strong (if rather neggy) SCT preformance, some great buzzes at Regionals, and a player with a very bright future.

4. Emmet Blanchett
Emmet is a life science major with a keen interest in history (especially old history, it seems), making for an interesting and potentially very valuable combination. He did all right at Fall, with a decent PPG but on a very bad team. He did pretty well at SCT, with lots of powers and few negs, and a PPG perhaps only kept lower than Josh's and Zach's because he was on a stronger team and wound up in the top bracket. And though McMaster missed Regionals, some strong buzzes at C.L.W.T. (impressive for a first year) and his good performance at GHOTI (Jay's historical geography side event) put him up here. The history-science mix could be great to build a team around if he continues to develop - his C.L.W.T. advanced stats show some good buzzes in both.

5. Zach Bernstein
Zach is a rare thing on the Canadian circuit these days: a legitimate budding lit player (Waterloo seems to have all of the young ones, with him and Peter). Zach's biggest strengths are drama and fine arts, but he can also pick up points here and there across other humanities. His Regionals performance had some strong early buzzes; SCT was a solid showing that was inflated by weak teammates. Hopefully Zach will keep reading lit and play some more tournaments next year to give us a better look at him, but I've liked what I've seen so far.

Honourable Mentions: Matt Laporte and Magda Mroz
I agonised over the last spot, pitting these two against Zach. In the end, I kept them off not because I was confident that they were worse but because there were so few tournaments to directly compare them on (in Zach and Magda's case, just SCT; in Zach and Matt's, none at all). Magda did well at SCT, putting up numbers almost identical to Zach's while on a slightly stronger team, and did pretty well at Fall, before finishing her year with a Powerful but neggy performance on a very good M.U.Team. Matt put up really strong numbers playing with Dennis at Fall, and decent ones at Penn Bowl, though he negged too much. Being a bio player meant he had little coverage from his history player teammates at either event, though.
Paul Kasiński
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

Another private ballot in, this one from Erik.
Paul Kasiński
Sygyt/Kargyraa
Lulu

Post by Sygyt/Kargyraa »

Here's the second typing of my Fear Exhibition Ballot. It ranks players by the fear I would feel walking into a game room against them aggregated over all possible teammates and difficulties, but weighting each person's usual teammates and the difficulties I've played them on more heavily. A corollary of this is that my rankings assume, in the spirit of Javert (one of whose songs I might sing for RCM voice), "[people] like [us] can never change" - that everyone's skill differential from me has remained constant since I last played them. I realize this only inadequately explains the method to my madness, but anyways...

1. Derek So
I fear this man so much that I thought bees were a substance. Enough said.
2. Rein Otsason
I have never been stung by a bee and would rather not start now.
3. Aayush Rajasekaran
Xenophon last summer became one of my most harrowing experiences after Aayush and a historian who no longer exists (and may never have existed) had me and Paul down 150 to -30 by the middle of the game.
4. Daniel Lovsted
I've always seen McGill A as a sort of terrifying monolith, and Daniel contributes to its success in a major way with what I believe is excellent knowledge across the humanities and arts.
5. Ian Dewan
I might be underranking him due to his calm and unassuming demeanour, but nearly losing to his Ottawa team at Nats last year was certainly terrifying.
6. Dennis Beeby
While Dennis is certainly one of the most capable soloists in the circuit, I've never felt the same sort of inescapable horror playing against him as I have against the people above, which might just be because I haven't played him as much.
7. Aaron Dos Remedios
Can buzz on pretty much anything and everything, and that's pretty scary.
8. Jay Misuk
How can I not be afraid of someone who will say one got a bonus easy part wrong when the obvious answer was just an alleged unvoiced consonant away?
9. Erik Christensen
The last of the intimidating one-person-teams, Erik has broad knowledge that made Adam's prediction last year of an Ontarian D2 ICT top bracket game deliciously plausible.
10. Henry Atkins
11. Austen Friesacher
Between them, Henry and Austen brought about my second most harrowing quizbowl experience of this academic year. I don't want to talk about it.
12. Chris Sims
Chris is probably the best instrumental music player in the circuit, and his deep knowledge of premodern Europe is complemented by excellent generalism.
13. Paul Kasinski
A wellspring of incredibly detailed Amhist and NAQT knowledge that seems to come out of nowhere, Paul fully deserved his ICT scoring prize.
14. Cooper Albertson-Webb
Knows all of the lit distro better than I do my part of it and is also a better bible player than me, as well as an excellent thought player to boot.
15. Cameron Amini
Widely acclaimed by Canada's many history players, Cam never fails to play on summer open teams that frighten me to no end.
16. Zhenglin Liu
As the public speaking tip suggests, it's difficult to fear someone you've seen in their underwear, and I've seen me in my underwear many times.
17. Akhil Garg
If this ballot were ranking players by ability, Akhil would be quite a bit higher thanks to his Nats performance, but he is too much of a kind gentleman to be much feared as a scholar.
18. Leslie Newcombe
The sight of Leslie serenely pulling one obscure bonus part after another is a chilling one, and her Makumasuta Daigaku team was the author of an impressive upset at HSNCT.
19. Adam Swift
"Knows [...] the canon," as Joe Su would say, and at the end of the day that's scary enough.
20. Faheem Pahlwan
Knows my part of the lit distribution far better than I ever will, especially when it comes to British authors that I can't tell apart from one another.
21. Raymond Chen
Knows... the complement of my part of the lit distribution far better than I ever will know my part, and is an excellent bio player to boot. Also see Makumasuta Daigaku above.
22. Andrej Vukovic
An important contributor to the the balanced coverage enjoyed by Carleton/Ottawa-region summer open teams, Andrej once gave me quite a fright by appearing outside the Bahen Centre math library when I was studying there in the summer.
23. Ted Gan
My fellow lit-playing mechanical engineer, except he seems to get a lot more physics off engineering knowledge than I do, and will probably make a better engineer than me as well.
24. Joe Su
The world's best RCM piano music player, without a doubt, Joe also has deep knowledge of RCM style music history, making him a formidable music player.
25. Jack Guo
I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to fear Jack's prodigious negging until I find myself on a team with him.

Rookies:
1. Josh Lane
Is definitely a better classical myth player than me and rounds it out with solid history knowledge.
2. Magda Mroz
For much of my SCT match against Magda's McGill C, it looked like they were on track to win, making for yet another of this season's McGill-induced episodes of terror.
3. Sam Hauer
Beats me to opera.
4. Luc Foster
The only Illinois Quizbowl Teen in this ballot, Luc has deep thought knowledge and is yet another strong up-and-coming history player.
5. Emmet Blanchett
A solid generalist, Emmet gets good buzzes across science, history, and lit, and it's always unnerving to play against someone when you don't know what category he'll buzz on next.

I hope you all enjoyed this glimpse into my constant internal screaming.
Zhenglin Liu
University of Toronto BASc MechEng 1T9+PEY, Engineering Science dropout
University of Cambridge (Clare College) MPhil Environmental Policy 2T2
Protean
Lulu

Post by Protean »

This ballot is probably very Insular and likely contains some (Toronto B)ias as well as a lot of advanced stats. I didn’t specifically set a difficulty level in mind but looking back it can probably be loosely described as “regular, with bonuses for those who do well at harder levels”. There’s also recency bias but I think it is hard to rank someone based on how good they were almost a year ago if they haven’t proven that they are still actively engaging in quizbowl. Please direct any complaints or comments to my President this year, Meghan Torchia.

1. Derek So
I’m not sure I have ever interacted with Derek so I can’t be certain, but I think he’s kind of good at quizbowl or something? He’s got a modicum of skill, at least, even if he doesn’t know how to say IUPAC.

2. Rein Otsason
This guy just sounds like a physicist but is also decent at this quizbowl thing. We all know that he has elite physics ability but he notably likes philosophy as well for some reason and just has very few holes in his game (e.g. classical music) overall. Supposedly learning chemistry.

3. Daniel Lovsted
Putting up the stats that he does while playing on a team with Derek has always been very impressive, but the advent of advanced stats has started to illustrate just how impressive he is. Just go look at his buzzpoints and you’ll see what I mean (spoiler: third-most first buzzes at Regionals while playing with Derek, most first buzzes at EFT).

4. Aayush Rajasekaran
Amazing at lower levels, still very good at higher ones as seen at ICT, great at literature, blah blah blah k whatever, I just really want to gripe about his Toronto Hybrid tossup back in 2016 where I negged on the first line with “Wimbledon final” when the answer was “Federer winning a Grand Slam” because the first clue was from Andy Murray’s interview after he lost to Federer in that final. I’ve been salty ever since.

5. Ian Dewan
I feel like it might be because he wanted to essentially solo it, but for some reason used his first pick on me at the D1 ICT mirror in Paul’s basement. Of course, he used his second pick on someone who wasn’t even actually there and never ended up showing so I’d say that hypothesis is likely. Either way, he has the skill to back it up. While the “weak team” criticism has been levelled at him in the past, playing on a strong Carleton team this year as well as detailed stats (second-most first buzzes at Regionals, tied for most FBs at EFT) have cemented his top player status.

6. Zhenglin Liu
Is Zhenglin Liu elite? The stats (especially the detailed ones) point to yes. He had 21 first buzzes (t-1st) at the Toronto EFT site, 16 first buzzes at the Toronto ACF Regionals site (4th behind only Derek, Ian, and Daniel) and 12 global top 3 buzzes at CMST (t-12th among all active collegiate players). Zhenglin is hands-down the best auditory arts player in Canada, despite apparently not listening to music(???????), but the advanced stats will testify that he can have good buzzes in almost any part of the distribution. His efforts to become a lit and religion player have shown great results. Shoutout to Zhenglin falling asleep on his buzzer at SCT to neg me out of a basketball tossup and also BEES.

7. Jay Misuk
I am about as old as Jay was when I first met Jay. I’m old. While the newfangled sabremetrics do favour the players above him a bit more, the Canadian circuit’s resident grumpy old guy has still got it, grabbing the 4th-most first buzzes at EFT and killing it at Historature against a strong field. He’s been around long enough to be a decent generalist and his knowledge of ancient history/civilizations and geographical minutiae is very well-known. Seriously, he’s your guy if you ever need inexplicably deep and obscure knowledge on the history of Micronesia or like, some random and extremely unnoteworthy town in the middle of nowhere with population 250. Just kidding, Hamilton has at least 15,000 undergrads living in it.

8. Dennis Beeby
My active participation in quizbowl coincided with Dennis heading to law school so I haven’t had the opportunity to interact with or play him much, but he is definitely still a top player. What I knew of him before looking up his stats: basically revived the struggling Queen’s club, very good player with a specialty in history. What I know now: basically revived the struggling Queen’s club, very good player with a specialty in history and social sciences and a fair amount of generalist ability, though with late buzzes.

9. Cameron Amini
Another person I don’t personally know but I do vaguely recall being crushed by Carleton a bunch when I first started playing tournaments with McMaster. The consensus seems to be that he was an unbelievable high schooler but has stagnated somewhat, albeit at a very high level. Looking at his list of history buzzpoints is really satisfying, with a majority of them coming from 75% of the question or earlier.

10. Christopher Sims
The other head of the two-headed Toronto B music monster with Zhenglin as well as the other head of the two-headed Toronto B history monster with Paul. His enjoyment (and skill) in instrumental music complements Zhengling’s opera specialty well and I’d like to say the same about Paul’s modern history specialty except I don’t know jack about history so I couldn’t really tell you. Throw in his studies in economics, his visual arts knowledge, and his ability to buzz well on literature/philosophy/even the occasional science and you have a top 10 player.

11. Aaron dos Remedios
I struggled a lot with where to put Aaron because to me he really embodies the philosophical debate about what is more valuable in a quizbowl player. His literature is very strong and he’s got unreal generalist ability up to maybe regular difficulty in that he can buzz in anywhere and make a good guess using his many, many years of experience and high quizbowl IQ. I think he takes a bunch of the people above 1v1 at an ACF Regionals, but I compromise with him here because he generally won’t buzz until very late at harder tournaments. My favourite parts of practice are Aaron beating Rein to physics things and also when Aaron makes correct educated guesses without actually having any knowledge at all on physics bonuses Rein is locked out of.

12. Paul Kasinski
The 2018 D2 ICT All-Star has both great quizbowl IQ, often taking the post-FTP guess if the rest of us are blanking, and excellent buzzing skills, honed from his Reach days. I’ve already mentioned his deep history ability and he’s got some philosophy, classical music (when he’s not playing on a team with Zhenglin and Chris), and economics, but he was low-key also our physics player ... kind of. In preparation for the ICT run he picked up some painting, space geography, and earth geography to boot. And this isn’t the trash ballot, but ICT is an academic tournament and he was a trash god there, which deserves mention. I’m really grateful to have been able to play with him, Zhenglin, and Chris this year and I really look forward to seeing how they do with Rein next year on Toronto A.

13. Erik Christensen
Waterloo A topped the scoring charts at D2 ICT this year. Erik also tends to be near the top in scoring at all the Canadian tournaments he plays, though he usually gets a PPG boost by playing on weaker teams and this is reflected in his FB rate being a bit lower than other top scorers. He’s a history player, getting the most history out of everyone at Regionals but has spread out to become much more of a very good non-science generalist to fill in for his lack of teammates. By the way, did I mention that he top-scored D2 ICT? Unfortunate that it looks like he won’t be joining Toronto next year thanks to an administrative mishap.

14. Akhil Garg
Either MIP through the course of the year or the best scaler-upper ever – you decide. That ACF Nats performance vaults him above the glut of McGillers that follow. I don’t really know him, but by all accounts he’s a top-notch person and it’s for that reason that I don’t declare him my Zhenglin-style nemesis because I’m pretty damn jealous of his biology and chemistry knowledge.

15. Joe Su
His degree may be ruining his life but it’s also keeping him eligible for collegiate quizbowl and presumably providing him with good science knowledge for it to go along with his music. The only advanced stats tournament he played was Regionals but he came in hot with 12 FBs and very impressive buzzpoints as a whole, though he didn’t do as well at ICT or Nats. I have no idea how I’m going to get over the McGill biology player hump.

16. Jack Guo
Between the opinions of McGill and the opinions of everyone else, I figure this is about right. Jack perfectly occupies quizbowl limbo because he is clearly the best player on the B team (e.g. outscored Henry and Austen when he played with them at Penn Bowl and Regionals) but is also clearly the worst player on the A team when he plays with them (e.g. ICT). Having only played him a few times, I could never figure out what his categories are. Thanks to detailed stats, I now know they are apparently “a bit of everything except maybe history” at a moderate level (Regionals buzzes by category: 8 arts, 11 lit, 6 RMPSS, 15 science and if you break it down further he had multiple buzzes in every arts subcategory and every science subcategory).

17. Cooper Albertson-Webb
As an open player, he doesn’t get nearly as much exposure and I think his ranking suffers from that (also because he hasn’t played anything recently so there’s no way to know if he’s gotten rusty or not). He still had a very impressive Xenophon though also a bit of a subpar HSNCT going by power numbers. Hopefully he proves us all wrong at CO.

18. Henry Atkins
Hard to believe that neither Henry nor Austen were ranked last year – their numbers were always quite good and I’m glad that this year they finally got the exposure and recognition they deserve. Henry has great history and literature coverage to go with RMPSS, leading McGill B to a strong finish at ICT where they were a tiebreak away from the top bracket (plus making it as the third Canadian All-Star!) as well as a win against Toronto B at SCT that I don’t want to talk about. I will be rooting for him when he represents McGill solo next year in the UK while he’s there for school.

19. Austen Friesacher
I’ll be completely honest with you: until somewhat recently Henry and Austen had always just been one big McGill B conglomerate in my mind, but they had always been a conglomerate that was very good at quizbowl. I can now confidently say that they are, in fact, two individual people who are very good at quizbowl. I can’t quite seem to get a handle on his subjects but that seems to imply he’s a generalist with good lit and RMPSS and some science. I’m glad that McGill seems to have taken to writing his name out phonetically.

20. Adam Swift
Apparently Adam used to play solo for Rochester back in the day and of course he still shows up to play open tournaments now. I assume he was quite good at Rochester as he is still quite good now. He seems to have a reputation for having great canon knowledge but also has good knowledge of history and statistics. As seen at the CMST mirror he can still be a very valuable contributor at higher levels.

21. Faheem Pahlwan
I think Faheem left Toronto right when I joined, so he’s another player I don’t know and he’s also another player that gets dropped a bit for inactivity. He did well at Xenophon and was a monster at EFT with good buzzes everywhere but especially in lit and music, but seemed to have dropped off a bit when he showed up for our extra practice. I hope he’s more active next year, it’s always nice to have more good players on the circuit. Plus players that played their only two tournaments 7 months ago are super hard to rank.

22. Jack van Nostrand
The best non-Dennis player at Queen’s, and this feels underranked. Jack is a strong history player with a high degree of non-science generalism. I haven’t played him (or any of Queen’s, really) too much so I don’t have a lot to add but I will say I appreciated his moderator discretion during the weird action tossups at OHIP Trash. Seems to be a very nice guy.

23. Leslie Newcombe
The 2014 D2 ICT All-Star has been playing for a long time now and has accumulated a lot of canon knowledge (and unlike me, seems to actually retain some of the things she doesn’t care about) to go along with deep knowledge in areas she actually likes. I owe Leslie a lot for introducing me to quizbowl in the first place – she picked me up off the street as the random girl that offered me candy in exchange for answering a trivia question. If that sounds dubious, well, that’s because it was extremely dubious.

24. Raymond Chen
I had a great time hanging off the coattails of Toronto B this year. Strongest Pokemon Go player on the Canadian circuit.

25. Andrej Vukovic
Honestly, I have no recollection of ever meeting Andrej even though we have apparently played each other twice this year. He hasn’t played much this year, but appears to have deep math and physics knowledge, good literature knowledge, and is a well-rounded generalist.

My rookie ballot is as follows and has no comments or justification because this already took too long and I'm very tired:
1. Sam Hauer (Toronto)
2. Josh Lane (Toronto)
3. Kevin Lei (Queen's)
4. Emmet Blanchett (McMaster)
5. Magda Mroz (McGill)
Honourables: Zach Bernstein (Waterloo), Simone Valade (Toronto)
Raymond Chen
McMaster University, 2017
University of Toronto, 202x
180lb6'3
Lulu

Post by 180lb6'3 »

Player Ballot

Initially I had comments on everyone but they were mostly just filler so I condensed the few meaningful things I had into the following few sentences. I sometimes forget how good Derek is, but then I remember again. Aayush is a very good NAQT player; he's better than Rein at NAQT, and considerably better than me at NAQT, though both Rein and I are better at other formats (I tallied total individual points from Toronto-McGill games this year to find this). In general I weighted higher-difficulty tournaments more heavily, which may explain Akhil's high ranking and Jack's low one. I also ranked open players lower than others did, maybe because of lack of experience playing against them. I found spots 11-17 very hard to order, especially comparing Chris and Paul; eventually I went with the Toronto B consensus of Chris > Paul.

1. Derek So
2. Rein Otsason
3. Aayush Rajasekaran
4. Daniel Lovsted
5. Ian Dewan
6. Zhenglin Liu
7. Jay Misuk
8. Cameron Amini
9. Akhil Garg
10. Dennis Beeby
11. Chris Sims
12. Paul Kasinski
13. Henry Atkins
14. Erik Christensen
15. Joe Su
16. Jack Guo
17. Austen Friesacher
18. Aaron Dos Remedios
19. Faheem Pahlwan
20. Adam Swift
21. Andrej Vukovic
22. Ted Gan
23. Cooper Albertson-Webb
24. Raymond Chen
25. Jack van Nostrand
Daniel Lovsted
McGill University
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

1. Derek So
Other people will have better things to say aboit him; all I can really add is that he beat me to multiple history tossups this year despite history not even being one of his two main categories.

2. Rein Otsason
Rein's move from engineering science to a specialised graduate program stunted his progression this year, but he was able to maintain his dominance on physics and physical chemistry and excellence on math and philosophy. Rein also has good knowledge of the kind of stuff that comes up in Mike Bentley's tech tournaments, such business/production-oriented current events, as well as general academic thought. He has decent breadth but it lacks in comparison to the other two at the top. As always, his negging was a problem at times this year. It led to a disappointing ICT performance, but when he cut down the negs at Nationals he was terrific. It'll be an honour to play with him on Toronto A next year and I

3. Daniel Lovsted
This is a high ranking, but I think Daniel earned it this year. His P.P.G.s will always be lower than the other top players' because he plays with Derek, who totally shadows him, but his power numbers at Penn Bowl and SCT were amazing, and his buzz graph at Regionals basically runs level with Ian's until midway through, when the shadow effect becomes a real factor. A great performance at ICT, too. As mentioned, he's somewhat of a Derek Jr., with specialties in lit and visual art. He's become a better art player than the old man, though - the best on the circuit by miles. (I actually beat him to an art tossup this year in a key game... because it was on fucking American gothic.) He's also started learning some history, key for McGill's no-history player lineup, which showed in some good buzzes there this year. (When asked what history he's learning, he said "I don't know, just, history.".)

4. Aayush Rajasekaran
Aayush would have been behind Ian a few months ago: he did a fair bit worse at the Chicago Open and his power numbers at this year's regular difficulty tournaments were generally behind Ian's. He improved for the national tournaments, though, and outplayed (and outpowered!) Rein at ICT before good performances at Historature and Nationals. He's great at lit and (especially) myth, but also has enough fake knowledge from his playing experience to buzz on literally all categories at lower levels, where he can beat good teams on his own. Though he loses that when scaling up, he remains a good lit and myth player at any level.

4. Ian Dewan
Ian played a little less this year, but continued to be fantastic when he did. His great Chicago Open, Regionals and Penn Bowl performances almost put him above Aayush, but he was a bit weaker at SCT, and Aayush made his aforementioned kick. Ian has depth over a remarkable range of topics. Aside from being a great science player (best at bio and math but even solid at physics), he's good at all the R.M.P. categories, good at classical and has made himself into a damn good literature player, as his Regionals Ophirstats show. It's too bad that his teammates, aside from Cameron, didn't have much commitment this year, because Ian could've taken that Carleto: team far.

6. Zhenglin Liu
When we were planning out Toronto B last summer, Zhenglin and I had an argument about whether, in expanding beyond his music and myth specialties, he should aim to become a science player, which I thought would be better due to his engineering education, or a literature player, which he thought he should aim for because he's more interested in it. It didn't take long after our first tournament, E.F.T., had begun for us to realise the result: he had become both. Zhenglin is a very good physics player, who can buzz reliably and sometimes early, on just about all non-astro, non-particle physics. He's also a good lit player, who knows lots of Romantic poetry, Chinese lit and some other areas. And none of this is his specialty: he's the best classical music player in the country, and absolutely dominates all vocal classical music and opera, with particular preference for Italian works and Gilbert and Sullivan, but also solid knowledge of all other classical music (even though he hates it and denies knowing any of it). He's also great at Classical mythology and has begun studying other mythologies, such as Abrahamic, and is aiming to cover all myth systems really well for next year. He's also solid at religion but "practice" questions are a weakness, and he knows Chinese history well. His really deep, real knowledge made him the best player at C.L.W.T., with earlier buzzes than Jay despite way fewer negs, and he outscored and outpowered me at ICT despite being one of the worst trash players in modern history (trust me, I'm a modern history specialist).

7. Jay Misuk
Jay's got one of the most unique playing styles in Canada, and there's not much I can say that hasn't been said before. The history/geo knowledge and powers, the negs, the low-level generalism. He often plays on relatively weak open teams but also played a couple of tournaments with a strong Toronto A. He repeated his Chicago Open at ICT: a horrendous morning followed by an excellent afternoon. He was clearly the third-best player on Toronto A, though. He did well at Don DeLillo, with lots of powers, but his crazy negging at C.L.W.T. makes his early buzzes less impressive and puts him behind Zhenglin.

8. Cameron Amini
Cameron was the only member of Carleto:'s much hoped-for A Team who regularly attended tournaments. Cameron is a truly great history/current events/geography player who can get questions in these topics across all time periods and geographical areas. He tends to bs interested in the same kind of stuff as me but know more about it, so playing him can be very difficult for me. He comes out above Dennis because of his great SCT - more powers and a PPG not far Below the Beebs's despite the latter soloing - and his earlier buzzes at Regionals. This was close, though. Also the most deezed player in Canadian quizbowl.

9. Dennis Beeby
Dennis is still one of the best history players on the circuit, and his knowledge stretches across just about all of the category. He's also become a good low-level generalist from playing so much quizbowl over the years, but presumably a lot of those buzzes would disappear if he more frequently played on teams with any good non-history players. He does have good deep knowledge, but his first buzzes/powers were generally a bit behind Cameron this season.

10. Aaron Dos Remedios
Aaron has a reputation for lacking deep knowledge and scaling up badly, and to an extent that's true. But it's been greatly exaggerated - his buzzpoints at C.L.W.T. show that he's capable of a lot of early gets at high difficulties, even against top players. It's too bad that he wasn't able to make it to Don DeLillo, because there's very little data for him from this season. He's cosistently excellent at U of T practices.

11. Cooper Albertson-Webb
Cooper's frequent weekend shifts and the paucity of open tournaments mean that he hasn't played any quizbowl since summer 2017. He did really well when he did, though. One of the best pure lit players in the country, he was the best player at XENOPHON, as his power numbers indicate. He also put up a good PPG at NASDAQ while only negging once. He doesn't get too much outside of lit, but is solid at philosophy, mythology and classical history (as well as Russian history, due to a course he once took). I look forward to being his teammate at the Chicago Open this summer.

12. Chris Stims
Chris had an extremely strong rookie season last year, but despite what should've been a coming out party, he still remained quite underrappreciated as a rising star. No longer. He had a great E.F.T., but when the Fall season got harder, he slipped a beat, with weak power numbers at Penn Bowl, before a solid Don DeLillo. But he lit up C.L.W.T., with numbers almost equal to Zhenglin's (second-most first buzzes!), and at Nationals, he put up numbers almost equal to Rein's and Aayush's. (His SCT performance was significantly weaker than theirs, in part due to the hard work he's put in to challenge his good friend for the title of worst trash player ever.) Perhaps the most notable part of his great Nats performance was the fact that he got almost all of the music tossups, and he is indeed an elite music player, fortunately specialising in the areas (instrumental, Germanic) that least interest Zhenglin. History is his major category, and his good balance was important since my history knowledge is so full of huge holes (by which I mean everything before 1800). His history knowledge has stagnated a bit (which he aims to improve), but he also got tons of points across the humanities this year - with lots of good philosophy and social science buzzes and tons of literature points at C.L.W.T. - and even knows a solid amount of chemistry. It's easy to forget that he's just in second year; he and Zhenglin may be the best age-relative players in the country (along with Daniel). Being his teammate this year left me constantly impressed.

13. Erik Christensen
This was the tightest decision on my ballot. I went back and forth between Erik and myself, but in the end, his stronger performances at the three hardest tournaments over the past year - P.B.M., XENOPHON and C.L.W.T. - outweighed my better power numbers at the regular-difficulty events and put him ahead of me. Erik's played on a lot of bad teams since Aayush "left" Waterloo, and that's both inflated his numbers and earned him a reputation as a generalist (since his experience has given him enough stock knowledge to convert tons of easy non-science clues). Yet looking at his advanced stats - or just talking to him - makes it clear that he's still a history-type specialist. He has knowledge is not only deep but also very balanced: he can buzz on any time period or area, which is a big edge he has over me (though he's not as good anywhere as I am with modern stuff). He does have some areas of really good philosophy knowledge, though, and is an improving lit player, particularly on short stories. And, of course, current events, geography, social science, film and jazz are all strengths.

14. Henry Atkins
Looking back, Henry might've been the most underranked player last year. I (terribly) didn't include him on my ballot because I'd hardly ever seen him play academic and thought of him as someone who only did trash. No one's forgetting him now, though. I've never been able to pin down his specialties accurately because they're so broad, but others tell me he's strongest at history-type stuff and literature. He only played four tournaments all year, but did pretty well at all of them, especially at ICT. It's too bad he'll be in France next year (well, no, it's great, but you know what I mean), because McGill could sure use a good history player on their A team (though they'd have to take off someone good).

14. Paul Kasiński
The simplest explanation for why I'm tied with Henry is this graph of our buzzes at Regionals: https://tinyurl.com/ya9vakvk
I haven't improved much since last year, so most of what I said then was still true: I'm great at modern history, current events and geography, I know some philosophy and social science (particularly econ), and I'm pretty useless elsewhere. After a bizarre hiccough at E.F.T., I did pretty well at both regular-difficulty fall events but faded in the winter with some weak showings. I did well at ICT, in part thanks due to my NAQT specialty - trash was the entire difference between Chris and I's points totals. (Also, despite what Zhenglin said, American history isn't my strongest history; I'm good at all areas, but useless at pre-modern stuff.)

16. Akhil Garg
One of two extremely difficult McGillers to rank this year. We all know the story: put up a pedestrian 11.5 PPG at Regionals (albeit with lots of early buzzes and overlap) and then exploded for 19.6 at Nationals. His biology and chemistry knowledge is fantastic, and he's solid at physics and social sciences. He contributes very little elsewhere, though. His only other tournament was SCT, where his numbers were better, but maybe in part to Joe being replaced by Jack (for reasons still unknown).

17. Joe "Joe Su" Su
McGill's second A-team bio player (to quote Derek in a bathroom, "Fuck history, yo. Two science players."), Joe has a wider Reach than Akhil, being a great classical music player as well as doing well in the sciences. Confusingly, he put up great early buzzes at Regionals and didn't power a single tossup at Penn Bowl. He did quite a bit better than me at the Chicago Open, so I may be badly underranking him. He was his team's worst player at both national tournaments, though.

18. Faheem Pahlwan
Faheem seems to have been forgotten by many on the circuit after a year of almost complete inactivity at York. In both of the tournaments he played to barely be eligible, though, he did well. Faheem's a good lit player - a rarity in Canada these days - whose known for his Dickens love but also knows a lot of other novelists very well. And he's a terrific classical music player. He also knows economics and business thanks to his business degree. I miss playing with Faheem back when he was at U of T, and I always mean to play something open with him. We match up well and he's a good teammate. Also, shouts out to him for beating me at chess, like, 47 times.

19. Adam Swift
Joe's blurb for Adam last year quickly became a meme, and it's true that he has lots of accumulated stock knowledge from years playing the game. Much like in ADR's case, however, this has been exaggerated: Adam's great numbers at C.L.W.T. (5th-most first buzzes despite Jay mass-producing negs in Adam's categories) aren't possible without real, deep knowledge. He did decently at Don DeLillo (when again adjusting for Jay's gets and negs on Adam's stuff) and well at XENOPHON. He wasn't able to shine through Jay's shadow at NASDAQ, though. Adam's core areas are history/geo/current events and statistics (on the rare occasions that it comes up, he's great at it). His knowledge of his share of the canon at a low level gets him points in other categories when facing easy opponents and playing on bad teams.

20. Andrej Vukovic
CanQB's resident Serb did well when he played, but sadly that wasn't often enough for Carleto: to fulfill its potential. Andrej's brilliant at math and I think he knows science and literature solidly, but I haven't seen him play very much of late. He'll be at Waterloo next year but may not play much, unfortunately (the club could use a good grad student as Erik leaves).

21. Austen Friesacher
I'm actually not sure if Austen was playing when Glebe beat us at Provincials in 2014. But he was definitely playing when McGill B beat us at SCT this year, and he played a major role with his 2 powers and 60 points. He was the supporting half of a two-headed monster with Henry; he played even with Henry at MUT with a great performance but was weaker otherwise this year. He's great at philosophy (shoutout to a great tossup at Hybrid) and visual art and good at lit. If he ever beats me to a baseball tossup, I'll give him $100.

22. Jack van Nostrand
Jack is constantly covered up by Dennis, an older, better history player, while playing for Queen's. He still manages to put up solid numbers despite being fordced to rely more on other categories. He's pretty good at lit and some other humanities, but he'd put up better numbers if he had less shadowing. Editing Hybrid could help him a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a big step forward next year. I feel like this is underranking him.

23. Ted Gan
Ted's a good lit player who can also get science and occasional other humanities. He'd probably score more if Ian didn't cover so much of the science distro. He did a very reliable job of supporting Cameron and Ian outside of their specialties, but unfortunately Andrej wasn't there very often.

24. Jack Guo
Jack is the other McGiller who can't be ranked. You've also heard the story here: great numbers leading B teams at E.F.T. and Regionals, and literally no points whenever playing with the A team. What do we make of this??? One possibility would be a lack of deep knowledge, but he had a solid amount of powers and early buzzes with the B team. He's very covered up by Derek and Daniel, but he also gets science and history with the B team, so that also doesn't add up. Honestly, I have no idea what to conclude. But not getting anything at SCT or ICT is pretty bad, so he's down here. Despite those good performances - 48.0 PPG and 10 powers at E.F.T.! I don't know, man. The Chinese Communist Kuomintang Party.

25. Raymond Chen
Last summer, when Toronto B formed, we thought through some pretty wild ideas for science players, from Zhenglin yelling at grade 12s at Reach Nationals that they would be our science player to trying to recruit a literal spaceman from Marc Garneau. The whole time, we didn't know that Raymond was coming to us this year. We considered some other options at the start of the year but he pretty quickly showed us how foolish that was by perfectly filling in our gaps in bio/chem and non-Zhenglin literature. He was our fourth scorer all year but always converted human bio, biochem and some lit, and still did well at hard difficulties. We won every tournament we played until ICT and there's no way we could've done that without the biology or modern lit knowledge that he brought. In the meantime, I got to know him (starting with P.B.M.), and he's a really nice person who's been a great additionto our club.
Paul Kasiński
everdiso
Wakka

Post by everdiso »

The results are in! Thank you to all of our voters across the three different ballots: Austen Friesacher, Henry Atkins, Chris Sims, Joe Su, Meghan Torchia, Dennis Beeby, Adam Swift, Jack van Nostrand, Erik Christensen, Raymond Chen, Daniel and me.

ACADEMIC

1. Derek So (275; eleven 1s)
2. Rein Otsason (264; eleven 2s)
3. Aayush Rajasekaran (242.5; highest 3, lowest 8)
4. Daniel Lovsted (239; highest 3, lowest 6)
5. Ian Dewan (238.5; highest 3, lowest 6)
6. Jay Misuk (211; highest 5, lowest 9)
7. Dennis Beeby (204; highest 5, lowest 10)
8. Zhenglin Liu (202; highest 5, lowest 13)
9. Cameron Amini (183; highest 7, lowest 16)
10. Chris Sims (149.5; highest 8, lowest 18)
11. Aaron Dos Remedios (149; highest 8, lowest N.R.)
12. Erik Christensen (147.5; highest 10, lowest 16)
13. Akhil Garg (143; highest 9, lowest 16), Paul Kasiński (143; highest 11, lowest 15)
15. Henry Atkins (116.5; highest 12, lowest 19)
16. Joe Su (105; highest T15, lowest N.R.)
17. Jack Guo (99; highest 9, lowest N.R.)
18. Austen Friesacher (80; highest 16, lowest 21)
19. Adam Swift (70; highest 16, lowest N.R.)
20. Cooper Albertson-Webb (58.5; highest T10, lowest N.R.)
21. Andrej Vukovic (57; highest 10, lowest 25)
22. Faheem Pahlwan (51; highest 16, lowest N.R.)
23. Jack van Nostrand (43;, highest 17, lowest 25)
24. Raymond Chen (36; highest 19, lowest 25)
25. Leslie Newcombe (26; highest 17, lowest N.R.)
26. Ted Gan (20; highest 21, lowest N.R.)
27. Sam Hauer (7; highest 20, lowest N.R.)
28. Magda Mroz (5; highest 21, lowest N.R.)
29. Peter Cordeiro (3; highest 23, lowest N.R.), Josh Lane (3; highest 23, lowest N.R.)
31. Will Saana (2; highest 24, lowest N.R.)
32. Kevin Lei (1; highest 25, lowest N.R.), Luc Foster (1; highest 25, lowest N.R.)

ROOKIE

1. Sam Hauer (27; highest 1, lowest 3)
2. Josh Lane (18; highest 2, lowest N.R.)
3. Kevin Lei (15; highest 1, lowest N.R.)
4. Magda Mroz (8; highest 3, lowest N.R.)
5. Simone Valade (7; highest 2, lowest N.R.)
6. Emmet Blanchett (5; highest 4, lowest N.R.), Luc Foster (5; highest 2, lowest N.R.)
8. Zach Bernstein (4; highest 4, lowest N.R.)
9. Matt LaPorte (1; highest 5, lowest N.R.)

COMMUNITY

1. Joe Su (40; four 1s)
2. Aaron Dos Remedios (34; highest 2, lowest 3)
3. Adam Swift (26; highest 2, lowest N.R.)
4. Rico Catibog (27; highest 3, lowest 5)
5. Dennis Beeby (21; highest 4, lowest 7)
6. Brendan McKendy (14; highest 4, lowest 9), Meghan Torchia (34; highest 5, lowest N.R.)
8. Christine Irwin (12; highest 4, lowest N.R.)
9. Leslie Newcombe (11; highest 5, lowest N.R.)
10. Peter Cordeiro (8; highest 6, lowest N.R.)
11. Brian Luong (6; highest 8, lowest N.R.)
12. Isaac Thiessen (4; highest 8, lowest N.R.)
13. Jay Misuk (2; highest 9, lowest N.R.)
14. Paul Kasiński (1; highest 10, lowest N.R.)

Thank you again to all our voters, and congratulations to Derek, Sam and Joe, as well as all others.
Paul Kasiński