HSNCT Question

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mvhs06
Kimahri

HSNCT Question

Post by mvhs06 »

Do we have any time in between matches at the HSNCT?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Based on last year, no. You'll have enough time to get from one room to the next. In the later rounds (around 7-10), there is about a 10 minute delay between rounds while they calculate matches.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Wow, that's a huge improvement from my freshman year, when Gov was able to send a C team on standby (since they were just short of 64). That was the year it was at Myrtle Beach. I remember the wait was about as long as the actual matches themselves, and then between rounds 9 and 10 there was a false fire alarm and so it was an agonizingly long day. Still, it was quite a spectacle to see A team go 10-0 that day....
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
mvhs06
Kimahri

Post by mvhs06 »

Haha, I wouldnt mind a few long breaks, there's a football game I'll be keeping my eye on throughout the afternoon.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

In the first 3-5 rounds, there is no break, there is just enough time to get to your match room pretty much.

I can't remember what 6 and 7 were like, but there was about a 20 minute break between the last 2 or 3 rounds.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
e_steinhauser
Lulu

Post by e_steinhauser »

Don't assume that last year's format will be used this year ... there is a larger field, and the logistics of these kind of tournaments is nuts.

Last I heard things weren't finalized, but based on what I have been told, it would be safe to assume that teams won't have too much time between matches unless there are bye rounds. Figure on 5-10 minutes to get from one room to another and allow staff to return scoresheets / get the next round / use the facilities. Oh, and a lunch break, of course.
--eps
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Governor's A team was one protest away from going 9-1 that year. Solon had won a match vs. them when it was recalled on the basis of moderator error. Ah, what could have been.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

solonqb wrote:Governor's A team was one protest away from going 9-1 that year. Solon had won a match vs. them when it was recalled on the basis of moderator error. Ah, what could have been.
Didn't know about that one. I did hear about the 5 point win they got over TJ A though, only to go on one of the most incredible slides I've ever seen when they lost to TJ in the playoffs, then lost to (I think) St. John's, then they lost a consolation game against Walton. Losing when it counted on Sunday to a foe who was vanquished on Saturday must have been quite disheartening to them, I could tell they lost their mental groove.

[EDIT: My apologies, I was unaware that responding to posts could be considered thread-derailment.]
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Mon May 29, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Why are we talking about Gov's team from three years ago in a thread about NAQT match times? Gov choked. TJ won. Mr. Morrison needs to stop derailing threads.

But yeah, back on topic, you generally get very little time between matches in the prelims until the power matching begins. barring unusual circumstances like fire drills and whatnot. I'm really not sure how the power matching system works though, because I remember isolated incidents where true swiss pairing wasn't used.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Last year, the first five matches were set up so that the winner from one match would play the winner from another match for the first five rounds. It was not swiss pairing, but it was a form of power pairing. It meant that there were no pauses at all between rounds to tally scores or anything like that.

During lunch, the 6th and 7th round pairings were set using Swiss pairs (or something a lot like it) based on the first five round results. Round 8 was based on the results from rounds 1-6, and the last two rounds were based on true Swiss pairs. The only delays were before rounds 9 and 10, since they needed everybody's results in order to figure out the next round's pairings and they needed to make sure that the large contingencies (or posses) were not placed in the small rooms.

With a field of 128, NAQT could play seven rounds of power matchups without Swiss pairs where everybody would always play a team with the same record. There would be no delays, but points would not be used to separate strong teams. They could then play the last three rounds using the same method as last year.

I don't know what they'll actually do. If they don't get enough moderators, then some teams will have to have byes each round and each team will only play eight or nine matches, so there would be fewer Swiss pair rounds at the end and thus fewer delays.

I don't have any inside information--I don't know what they will actually do. They plan on being done Saturday at 5:00, and my guess is that they will be within an hour of that at least.