Illinois Side Event Open - 8/11/18

Old college threads.
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Re: Illinois Side Event Open - 8/11/18

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Aaron's Rod wrote:
Illinois Admin wrote:Hey everyone,

We will be holding the event in room 146 of the Armory. We recommend people park at the main library.

We will be aiming to start at 8:45 on both days so try to arrive at 8:15-8:30.

Additionally, anyone who staffs, and brings a laptop, will be given a free entry to a side event for each event they staff. We will also be giving $10 discounts for bringing buzzers.
Could you update the OP with this (and other relevant logistics information, like perhaps the schedule) so it's easier to find?
Done, expect team schedules to be posted before the end of Thursday.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Thanks, Mike!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is anyone actually playing FTP 3? I might be late, but I wouldn't mind playing free if I have time, maybe just as a tossup shootout or something?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Saturday night party at my new house likely. We may not be living out of boxes and might even have furniture by then... but plenty of boxes to bite if not! Stay tuned for confirmation/details.
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Benji Nguyen has to catch a flight from O'Hare on Sunday, so in order to accommodate him, the order of WORLDSTAR and Human Use will be switched. If this change would negatively impact anyone, please let me know.

Tournament schedules will be finalized by Thursday August 9th 11:59 PM CT so if you're still on the free agent list by then, we will assume you would like to be placed onto a team. Should you not wish to be randomized onto a team, you have until Thursday evening to find/join a team or let me know.
Last edited by John Ketzkorn on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

So schedule, if I'm correct is:

FRIDAY NIGHT
-FTP 3 (probably around 6-ish)

SATURDAY
-Cambridge Open
-Words and Objects
-FILM

SUNDAY
-Human Use of Human Beings
-WORLDSTAR
-Rapture (as shootout)
-Shoney's (as shootout)

I'm not sure when John plans on running Imaginary Landscape, since I assume he is interested in most of these events. People not interested in playing some of these events are welcome to play some gorilla trash or do that late Sunday.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Cheynem wrote: I'm not sure when John plans on running Imaginary Landscape, since I assume he is interested in most of these events. People not interested in playing some of these events are welcome to play some gorilla trash or do that late Sunday.
I am not, in fact, playing any of the Sunday events except for Shoney's. But I'm not the constraint, here. I think all the people who want to play Imaginary Landscape want to play the other events too.

I don't particularly care when we run it, so long as I have an audio setup and there are people willing to play it. I'm fine with doing it late Saturday (which I was told was the original plan), late Sunday, or over the lunch/dinner breaks of the two days (if people want to order in food).
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

ThisIsMyUsername wrote:
Cheynem wrote: I'm not sure when John plans on running Imaginary Landscape, since I assume he is interested in most of these events. People not interested in playing some of these events are welcome to play some gorilla trash or do that late Sunday.
I am not, in fact, playing any of the Sunday events except for Shoney's. But I'm not the constraint, here. I think all the people who want to play Imaginary Landscape want to play the other events too.

I don't particularly care when we run it, so long as I have an audio setup and there are people willing to play it. I'm fine with doing it late Saturday (which I was told was the original plan), late Sunday, or over the lunch/dinner breaks of the two days (if people want to order in food).
This sounds good. I think running it as a "throughout the weekend" event works well, starting Saturday night and finishing Sunday around dinner. Others who plan on playing should feel free to express their opinions on this.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

If interest in FTP3 on Friday night is low, I'd be fine with sending the set to people who want to read it on the car ride back home and allow the set to be mirrored some other time. I'd rather have people play the set as teams, but I'd be fine with a shootout as well. Let me know if you really want to play the set and have a strong opinion one way or the other.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Cheynem wrote: -Rapture (as shootout)
There's currently 25 people signed up for RAPTURE. I know that this is short notice to complain, but especially since there's plenty of staff signed up, is there any way we can make this a teams event?
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Aaron's Rod wrote:
Cheynem wrote: -Rapture (as shootout)
There's currently 25 people signed up for RAPTURE. I know that this is short notice to complain, but especially since there's plenty of staff signed up, is there any way we can make this a teams event?

Here's my concern, we have a packet limit of 5 which makes it difficult to work with any team format. My current plan was to methodically seed the players into three rooms of 8. After round 1, the 3 best and worst players will move up and down respectively. Round 2 will be the 2 best / worst players in each room, Round 3 will be 1, and Rounds 4 and 5 will act like the "finals" for that room, with those 40 questions hopefully distinguishing the best player from everyone else.

Hopefully this format is acceptable to people. Regretfully, I didn't realize this limitation with Words & Objects as well --as we now have to consider dismantling the team format for that (very sorry to the people who formed teams if that's what we end up doing).
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

We could also just combine teams into whatever numbers work. Not really a big deal if some side events end up 5-on-5, if that's the most convenient way to allow everyone to play.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Here's a straw poll so people can influence our decision on the Words & Objects change. Also feel free to discuss benefits/drawbacks, I've just laid out my own thought process so it's possible I've missed something. We have both formats ready for this Saturday so we'll likely do an in-person vote.

Option 1. Individuals (similar to above, but likely a 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 0 best/worst format, 7 8 8 7 split across 4 rooms*)

Benefits: Easier to seed, all rooms on same floor (Illinois only gave us 5 rooms to one floor unfortunately), most likely results in a definitive winner (no ties broken by ppg).

Drawbacks: Teams broken up. Format less familiar.

Option 2. Teams of 2 (split into two pools of six. Cross pool game with team with same rank at the end of pool play)

Benefits: People get to play with their teammate. More familiar pool system. Some of the middling teams will get a free agent.

Drawbacks: Effectively a "one game final." Seeding is crucial. The flooring of Armory comes into play.

Feel free to suggest other ideas as well.

*I make the assumption that we have 30 people playing, (24 players signed up + 6 free agents). I'm also not set on the particular numbers.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:We could also just combine teams into whatever numbers work. Not really a big deal if some side events end up 5-on-5, if that's the most convenient way to allow everyone to play.
Yeah, this is a tournament in Illinois, surely 5v5 is acceptable.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

I’m in favor of keeping the format as is for Words and Objects, with free agents just joining existing teams. I recognize the issue with not having the best way to determine a champion but I think this format will get the most out of the existing packets.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think Words and Objects should have teams. I prefer cross-subject events to have teams and I don't necessarily think "oh, no true champion" is going to be that big a deal.

RAPTURE I'm agnostic on. I think teams would be enjoyable, mainly because then i could coattail ride.

I would also guess perhaps time constraints might play a role here, although I doubt the events would go significantly slower as teams.

I should note I voted teams of 2, but I don't care if some teams have 3 or more. I don't really care if there's just a one-game final or if seeding isn't perfect, and walking up stairs is perhaps good for you.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

I'm not actually attending, so my opinion is of limited value, but I'd also recommend Words and Objects be played as teams, following Tejas' suggestion of
Nice hockey Cote d'Azur wrote:free agents just joining existing teams
because 1) this is a cross-subject event as Mike noted, 2) players still get to play with the people they signed up with, and 3) the numbers work out nicely to have 6-team brackets with a final crossover game for each team (or something like this) to get the most out of the packets. For what it's worth, I had to make the exact same change the week of the Online mirror, and things ended up working out pretty nicely for that.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Due to a lack of interest in FTP3, I have decided not to mirror it tomorrow night. If you are interested in hearing the set some other time, please contact me. I'd like to run the set after a tournament in the fall but if you want to hear or play it now, I'd be happy to something work out.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

The RSO office informed us that they gave us two rooms on the first floor that will be undergoing construction and will be locked this weekend (including room 146). So we will be meeting in Armory room 333. We encourage free agents (for FILM especially) to start joining teams as we will be closing side-event signups by midnight after which we will randomize free agents onto teams. Schedules will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

We look forward to seeing everyone this Saturday!
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is RAPTURE still shootout or teams?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Cheynem wrote:Is RAPTURE still shootout or teams?
We've elected to keep it as a shootout since it's a bit last minute to ask people to form teams.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

Here is the long anticipated schedule. If you have any questions, please let me or Mike Know.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Obvious reminder:

Lots of stuff happening, especially on Saturday. Be on time, be brisk, and hydrate.

Regarding my tournament's schedule:

There will have to be at least two rooms--if we have time, we'll do a tiered thing; if not, we'll just do two separate rooms and let people self-select. If we do tiered, I have a rough idea for seeding or we can just do the first packet as a "seeding" packet.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Much more important announcement: tournament party Saturday night at Alison's and my new house. Open 1 hour after last Saturday event, until ~2:00. Hopefully some snacks on offer, but eat dinner before. Bring drinks – some stock exists to seed supply, but it's from previous parties I've hosted and thus consists mostly of cans of Coke and cheap beer as well as half a bottle of Malört. New (to me) stereo, spacious back yard, plenty of room for dancing/standing obliviously at bottom of stairs (furniture has not arrived yet.) E-mail or text with questions.
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Hey everyone, the University has amended their mistake and given us rooms on the first floor. Now, we fortunately will have all rounds on the ground floor. We will meet in room 101. Apologies for the constant room switching.

For payments, the best time to pay for events would be before 8:45, you can approach Brad or myself. We are accepting cash and Venmo as forms of payment. My venmo is @Etzzy. We will also be accepting payment throughout the day.

See you all tomorrow!
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
kobysayswhat
Kimahri

Post by kobysayswhat »

For Cambridge Open mirror, Neg5 stats can be found here
Koby Theobald
Palatine '16
Illinois '20
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Here is the updated playoff schedule

SQBS for Cambridge Open is up.

I will be keeping a tally of who won books in this thread so that we don't have to spend the time to hand them out. I trust that you won't take more than you won.

SQBS for Words and Objects is up

Here is the neg5 for FILM

Here is the Neg5 for Human Use

Here is the Neg5 for WORLDSTAR
Last edited by Father of the Ragdoll on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Book Tally:

Cambridge Open:
Will Nediger - 73 ppg
Charles Hang - 67 ppg
Mike Sorice - 64 ppg
Kai Smith - 59 ppg
Andrew Hart - 59 ppg
Ike Jose - 56 ppg
Brad McLain - 49 ppg
Rob Carson - 45 ppg
Evan Suttell - 45 ppg
Michael Coates - 41 ppg

Cambridge Open Neg Prize:
Charles Hang, Ike Jose, Dylan Minarik 8 negs
Go to room 101 to pick up your glorious prize

Cambridge Open Winners;
Rob Carson,Tejas Raje, Ike Jose, Billy Busse

Cambridge Open Runner Up:
Nip the Buds, Prosciutto the Kids:
Mike Sorice, John Lawrence, Kenji Shimizu, Alston Boyd

Words and Objects:
Rob Carson 128 ppg
Mike Sorice 111ppg
Ike Jose 87 ppg
John Lawrence 86 ppg
Andrew Hart 64 ppg

Words and Objects Winner:
Ike Jose, Tejas Raje, Alston Boyd

Words and Objects Runner Up:
Tamara Vardomskaya, Kenji Shimizu, Andrew Hart

Words and Objects Neg Prize:
Dylan Minarik 13 negs

FILM Winner:
Mike Cheyne
Matt Lafer

FILM Runner-Up
Tim Morison
Kai Smith
Carsten Gehring

FILM:
Will Nediger 98.89 ppg
Matt Lafer 95 ppg
Mike Cheyne 91.11 ppg
Carsten Gehring 83.89 ppg
Mike Sorice 68.13 ppg

WORLDSTAR:
Alex Fregeau 92 ppg
Tejas Raje 85 ppg
Kenji Shimizu 65 ppg
Charles Hang 63.6 ppg
Ike Jose 52.9 ppg

WORLDSTAR Winner:
Tejas Raje
Andrew Wang
Andrew Hart
Will Nediger

WORLDSTAR Runner Up:
Mike Sorice
Kenji Shimizu
Bradley McLain
Mike Etzkorn

RAPTURE:
1. Brad McLain 115 OT
2. Mike Cheyne 105 OT
3. Mike Sorice 65
4. Tejas Raje 45
5. Alston Boyd 25
6. Alex Fregeau 15
7 . Andrew Hart 0
Last edited by Father of the Ragdoll on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Illinois Admin wrote:Here is the neg5 for FILM
Thank you for posting these! I'm eagerly following along, and I hope everyone is having fun. I'll even be available for protest resolution, if needed.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:
Illinois Admin wrote:Here is the neg5 for FILM
Thank you for posting these! I'm eagerly following along, and I hope everyone is having fun. I'll even be available for protest resolution, if needed.
Looks like FILM is over. Thank you for playing! I had a lot of fun writing, so I'm really happy so many people got to hear it.

The set isn't technically clear, since I want to read some questions online, but I won't mind the occasional clue or answer being mentioned. Otherwise, really happy to get feedback / talk over the set in general!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I've set up a format/schedule for my event, although I don't know the rooms (we'll need two rooms that have at least ten buzzers each). We'll do a seeding packet (I've divided the field) and then the tiered format.

Also, I have three gorilla packets that were sent in (besides the one Mike Etzkorn read yesterday). If people want these packets to play while other stuff is going on or afterwards, let me know. If you're not at UIUC, I'll read them (or their authors will) presumably online at some point, so hold off on asking for them until next week.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

John Lawrence won my event. Using the format of one seeding packet, then running score kept when you were in the top room (bottom two sent down, top two sent up after each of seven rounds), these were the amounts scored:

John Lawrence: 475
Mike Sorice: 285
Ramapriya Rangaraju: 215
Tejas Raje: 165
Rob Carson: 135
Will Nediger: 115
Matt Lafer: 95
Tim Morrison: 45
Carsten Gehring: 35
Dylan Minarik: 20

Perhaps fuller stats including other room stats when I'm not as busy/tired.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

I've been forgetting to plug this, but for people who played RAPTURE and would like to say things about it there is a private discussion forum for doing that! I hope people had fun at the last RAPTURE mirror before the online event.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Thanks to UIUC for hosting this--this was well-run and hard to do, and also being very flexible about some things. I apologize for leaving my dinner in the meeting room; I had intended to come back and get that but I forgot until after I had left campus.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

We want to thank everyone who came out to play some fun tournaments. We enjoyed the opportunity to play / run events and we hope you did too! A huge thanks to the writers, anyone who staffed any of the events or helped us from the logistics end, and to everyone who made the trip out to Champaign.

We were glad that the events / breaks didn't have an awkward flow to them, and we look forward to either hosting / attending another weekend like this one next year!
Last edited by John Ketzkorn on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Etzkorn
UIUC '21
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Thanks to Mike and everyone else at UIUC for running this, it was a really fun and well organized weekend. Thanks as well to everyone who staffed and helped out, and of course to the writers.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The first post was never updated about Human Use for Human Beings, so here's the info on that:

Winners: Mike Sorice, Ramapriya Ragaraju, Dylan Minarik, Andrew Wang, and apparently for one game, Benji Nguyen (?).
2nd place: Rob Carson, Ike Jose, Mike Cheyne, Andrew Hart.

Top 5 scorers:
Mike Sorice (77.86)
Michael Coates (67.86)
Rob Carson (60.71)
Matt Lafer (45.71)
Tejas Raje (43.57)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I understand (as I played them in the car) that there were two additional packets of Human Use of Human Beings, and I'm wondering why we didn't get to play a final in that event. (I was not consulted as to whether we would've liked to, and I didn't realize that there were enough packets for a final until after I'd left the tournament site.)
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, that's odd. Rob and I actually asked about that after the tournament ended, and was told there was only one packet left and not enough to do a proper finals. I'm guessing this was just a mistake or somehow not all the packets were made available to whoever was looking.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

I would like to apologize for the Human Use mistake. Somehow not all the packets were uploaded to the google drive and I did not check the actual contents of the zip file I received. After I looked at the zip file I realized that there were indeed enough packets. I apologize for this mistake.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

There seems to be a missing round in WORLDSTAR between my team and Alex Fregeau's. We lost, but i don't think anyone on my team kept detailed stats / final score.
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

This weekend was a ton of fun. Thanks for putting it on, UIUC people!
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Hey everyone, we found a large plastic black bin on wheels in one of the game rooms. If it belongs to you, let me know
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)