Johns Hopkins Novice Tournament (NAQT IS-178A) - 9/22/18

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Johns Hopkins Novice Tournament (NAQT IS-178A) - 9/22/18

Post by Youngster Joey »

Johns Hopkins University is pleased to announce the third Johns Hopkins Novice Tournament, which will take place on September 22, 2018.

Eligibility:
All current high school students are eligible to play; however, since this is a novice tournament, we highly encourage limiting teams to players who have 2 or fewer years of high school playing experience.

The tournament will take place at Johns Hopkins University, located at 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. Room locations will be in Krieger Hall, Latrobe Hall, Maryland Hall, and Shaffer Hall, with control in Shaffer 3. A map of campus can be found here: http://cis.jhu.edu/images/campus_map_0907.pdf. Parking is available at the South Garage, at a flat rate of $9 for the day.

Entry Fees and Discounts:
Base Fee: $70 per team
Buzzers: -$5 per each working buzzer system
Staffing: -$10 per competent staffer (limit one per team)

Payment must be made on the day of the tournament either by cash or check only. Please make checks out to "Johns Hopkins University."

Format:
This tournament will follow official NAQT rules (which can be viewed at http://www.naqt.com/rules.html) with slight modifications on timing.

Question Set:
We will be using NAQT IS-178A, which is a set intended for newer and less-experienced players. More information on the set can be found here: https://www.naqt.com/hs/distribution-introductory.jsp.

Food:
Pizza will be sold near lunch time, and various restaurants may be found in the vicinity of campus. To see a full list, please visit http://web.jhu.edu/cogsci/visitors/restaurants.html.

Team and Roster Size:
There is a maximum of 6 players on a team; up to four members may play at once. We recommend no more than four members on a team, so that students may play the maximum number of rounds.

Team Limit:
Until one week prior to the registration deadline (September 8), only three teams from a school may register. Subsequent teams (up to an additional two, for five total) from the same school will be placed on the wait list. Following September 8, two additional teams from that school on the wait list will be moved off of the wait list and registered (assuming that there are spots still open).

To register, please fill out the following form (https://goo.gl/forms/FJh0GT3KQ55jXeDv2) by September 15. The field will initially be capped at 18 teams.

Timeline:
Here are some important dates:
September 8, 2018: Multiple team deadline (see above)
September 15, 2018: Registration deadline
September 20, 2018: Roster deadline
September 22, 2018: Tournament day

Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Last edited by Youngster Joey on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

"Remember my super cool Rattata? My Rattata is different from regular Rattata. It’s like my Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata."
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Re: Johns Hopkins Novice Tournament (NAQT IS-178A) - 9/22/18

Post by Youngster Joey »

Registered Teams (36/36):
School | # Teams | # Buzzers | # Staffers
BASIS McLean | 3 | 1 | 0
Benjamin Banneker | 2 | 1 | 1
Burleigh Manor | 3 | 3 | 0
Centennial | 5 | 3 | 0
Centennial Lane | 2 | 2 | 0
Cooper | 1 | 0 | 0
Georgetown Day | 2 | 0 | 0
Georgetown Prep | 1 | 3 | 1
Gilman | 2 | 6 | 1
Longfellow | 2 | 1 | 0
Montgomery Blair | 1 | 0 | 0
Penn Manor | 2 | 4 | 0
Richard Montgomery | 3 | 4 | 0
Saint James | 1 | 0 | 0
Thomas Jefferson | 4 | 2 | 4
Wilson | 1 | 0 | 0
Winston Churchill | 1 | 0 | 0
Last edited by Youngster Joey on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

"Remember my super cool Rattata? My Rattata is different from regular Rattata. It’s like my Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata."
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

The field has been expanded to 24 teams.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

All teams on the wait list have been placed in the field. We have expanded the field cap to 30 teams.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

With 30 team registered, we have closed the field. Remaining registrations will be placed on the wait list.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Is there any chance you would consider opening the field if you get to 36 registrations?
connor mayers
maryland
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

connor.mayers wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am Is there any chance you would consider opening the field if you get to 36 registrations?
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to expand the field due to limited rooms (we have 17 rooms reserved, one of which will be the control room). We are waiting on the status of an additional room, which would allow us to expand the field to 36 (turning control into a game room).
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

We are waiting on the status of an additional room, which would allow us to expand the field to 36 (turning control into a game room).
We have received confirmation on our reservation; if 6 teams are placed on the wait list we will expand the field to 36 teams.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

cfiore
Kimahri

Post by cfiore »

Hello,
This may seem like a silly question, but what time does the tournament start. When should we arrive for check-in.
Camilo Fiore
Coach St. James Academic Team
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

cfiore wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:31 pm Hello,
This may seem like a silly question, but what time does the tournament start. When should we arrive for check-in.
Check in will open at 8AM and we will begin rounds around 9AM.
Last edited by Youngster Joey on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

The field has been expanded to 36 teams.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

Congratulations to Richard Montgomery A for clearing the field with a 9-0 record! Thanks to all teams for coming!
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

This is the 2018-19 High School Set Feedback Form. This is used to return feedback on the question set you played to the team that put the set together. Meaningful, constructive feedback from those that were at this tournament, whether as a staffer, coach or player, is welcome via this form.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator