Early Fall Tournament (EFT) at Georgia Tech (10/13)

Old college threads.
JKHtay
Wakka

Early Fall Tournament (EFT) at Georgia Tech (10/13)

Post by JKHtay »

The Georgia Institute of Technology will host a collegiate quizbowl tournament on Saturday, October 13, 2018. This tournament will use this year's EFT question set. This is a regular-minus difficulty tournament; more information on the question set and eligibility to play it can be found here.

Location and Time:
Games will take place in the Skiles building on the Georgia Tech campus, subject to change. The opening meeting will start promptly at 9:00; rounds will start immediately thereafter.

Eligibility:
For college teams, this tournament will be completely closed. High schoolers may play, and can play on chimera teams with permission, but permission will only be granted if they are unable to play with their school team. Exceptions to these rules may possibly be granted with approval of the head editor.

Fees and Payment:
$120 base fee
$10 discount for each capable moderator with working laptop
$5 buzzer discount
$10 travel discount for every 200 miles between your school and the Georgia Institute of Technology, as per Google Maps

The minimum fee is $50. Please bring payment on the day of the tournament in the form of cash or a check made out to the "Georgia Tech Academic Quizbowl Team". If we deem that your moderator is not capable or your buzzers are not working, you will not receive a discount.

Please send me an e-mail at [email protected] with the number of teams that you intend to bring and any buzzers or staffers that you will supply. If I do not respond within two days, feel free to send another e-mail.

Field (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Georgia Tech (3/1/?)
Georgia (4/2/0)
Auburn (2/1/0)
Louisville(1/3/0)
Charleston(1/1/0)
Emory(2/0/1)
South Carolina(1/2/2)
Last edited by JKHtay on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
JKHtay
Wakka

Re: Early Fall Tournament (EFT) at Georgia Tech (10/13)

Post by JKHtay »

We have been able to secure rooms on Saturday, October 13th, so we are rescheduling to that date.
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
JKHtay
Wakka

Post by JKHtay »

Hello all,

Here is the logistics email for Georgia Tech's EFT Mirror, to be held on 10/13.

Field (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Georgia Tech (3/1/?)
Georgia (4/2/0)
Auburn (2/1/0)
Louisville(1/3/0)
Charleston(1/1/0)
Emory(2/0/1)
South Carolina(1/2/2)

We will do 14 teams split into two groups of 7, with top 3 from each group playing a playoffs round robin and bottom four playing the other bottom four teams from the other group.

Please arrive at the Howey Physics Building, 837 State St NW, Atlanta, GA 30332, by 8:45 AM on 10/13. We will aim to start the tournament at 9:00. Visitor parking is available in Visitor Parking Area 4 on this map, which is conveniently located in front of Howey. We will meet in Lecture Hall 3.

Lunch will be after round 7: the closest food places are either at Tech Square, roughly a 10 minute walk away, or the Chik-Fil-A at the Student Center.

Please bring payment the day of the tournament, either in the form of cash or a check made out to "Georgia Tech Academic Quizbowl Team". The payment scheme is on the forum post: if you need an invoice or receipt, please let me know if you have not already received one.

We will be using the online packet and scorekeeping system. If you are planning on bringing a moderator, please have them review this guide to the system.

If you have questions, please free to email me.

Thanks,
Justin Htay
Last edited by JKHtay on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
JKHtay
Wakka

Post by JKHtay »

Posts updated to reflect South Carolina bringing a team.
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
JKHtay
Wakka

Post by JKHtay »

A couple of updates. Due to a large number of GT signups, we are moving to a 16 team format. Also, because I inadvertently scheduled this on homecoming, parking will be much more difficult. Please read the instructions here on gameday parking procedures. Any of the green colored zones in the north of campus are probably best. This has been sent out to all of them teams but I also wanted to post it here. Looking forward to seeing everyone at 8:45 in Howey L3 tomorrow!
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
JKHtay
Wakka

Post by JKHtay »

This tournament happened! Georgia A cleared the playoff field with a 6-1 record against playoff teams to win the tournament. Auburn A, GT A, and GT B finished tied for second at 4-3. Stats are forthcoming.

Thanks to all of those who came out to play, and special thanks to Kailyn LaPorte, Casey Bindas, and Aditi Choudhury for volunteering to staff. I know the tournament ended up running late and parking was hectic due to the football game, and I apologize for the issues with the tournament. We will make sure to choose future dates more carefully and be better prepared.
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
JKHtay
Wakka

Post by JKHtay »

Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

JKHtay wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:19 pm Stats!
The Auburn A-Georgia Tech A game is incorrectly entered as ending 295-70 (Tech is given 0 ppb.) I think the final score was 295-240 or so.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT